Favourite Goalie

Punks No Deid

I'm blinkered I'm afraid. Jim Cruickshank is my favourite footballer of all time. Having the Aberdeen programme here following his death is an absolute treasure to me.

Even if we don't concede another goal in the next 5 years, Jim will still get my vote.

a safe pair of sells

but were any of them as good asI IAN BAIRD ? Pittodrie around 1992, we lost 3-2 and he was absolutely BLOOTER!

romanov apologist

I'm blinkered I'm afraid. Jim Cruickshank is my favourite footballer of all time. Having the Aberdeen programme here following his death is an absolute treasure to me.

Even if we don't concede another goal in the next 5 years, Jim will still get my vote.

Cruickshank was better than Yashin

Ford was better than Eu se bi o

romanov apologist

Ford was better than Eu se bi o

and Hibees are in for a thrashin..

(they dont make them like they used to you know - songs or goalies)

Rudolf's Mate

Gilles could do the unbelievable However was prone to errors. That said his presence and personality installed him as a fans favourite and rightly so.

Henry was also prone to the odd error however people forget that he played a long time for us and just how good he was.

Judging on ability then it's between Niemi and Gordon (in my lifetime) and I'm not sure who edges it as both were outstanding keepers. I liked both players also.

Henry - The type of guy who comes to your player of the year dance 10 years after leaving Hearts.

He is also my postman.

He is the man

This. B)

Mac_fae_Gillie

Henry smith. not the best but he had more than enuff magic moments to those nastys errs,plus great with fans.

Long service and he always waved.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

This thread shows how difficult a judgment of this kind is, when we each can only comment on our own generation's players. Cruikie played in an increasingly poor squad in the early 70s and, had it not been for him and Donald Ford, we would have suffered much more than we did.

So, for me, having seen almost all of the goalies mentioned (except Duff and Brown), it has to be Cruikie.

(Of course, I did also see Kenny Garland play and he wasn't a bad keeper. I have almost forgiven him for 1st January 1973). :mellow:

SectionDJambo

I've seen some great goalies and some bomb scares in my time.

The best has to come from Cruickshank, Smith, Niemi, Gordon, Rousset, and even Kello. Let's not forget the season he has had. A few more seasons and who knows how he will be regarded in an all time list.

My favourite has to be Jim Cruickshank, though. No big padded goalie gloves then - just a normal pair of gloves to give a wee bit more grip on a wet or cold day.

I remember Jack Harkness writing in his report of a Hearts v. Spurs match that any youngster with ambitions of being a top class goalkeeper, would not see 2 better 'keepers to learn from in one match than Jim Cruickshank and Pat Jennings, in that match.

Although not asked for, the worst has to be Brian Wilson. Given a free transfer from Arbroath and finds his way into the Hearts first team. :huh:

Jim Cruikshank, LEGEND. At training it was a smoke.

Pie ,and send someone to the bookies. But what a keeper.

This. thumbsup.gif

We have been so blessed over the years with great keepers, Niemi & Gordon join Cruickie as the best I have seen. thumbsup.gif

For me it has to be Craig Gordon by a country mile. A jambo through and through. He is also scotland's true number 1. He made some unbelievable saves and he helped get us 2nd and win the cup! Hope he comes back soon! Kello second after his amazing tribute to cruickshank :) saving that pen and holding up a top with his name on the back. Then nieme although I didn't see many of his games as I am to young. Let's hope this tradition keeps on going far into the future! HMFC <3

We have been blessed with some cracking keepers over the years. :thumbsup:

Henry is my choice because he was our no.1 when I started getting taken to games.

A big shout out for Kello though due to the fact he gave me a high 5 as I was going to the bog at hospitality when he came in. Top man. :thumbsup:

Henry Smith is my favourite but Antti Niemi produced the best goalkeeping performances I have seen in a Hearts jersey.

HeartsBore1874

i reckon if cruikie was playing in that infamous new years game instead of kenny garland he would never had conceeded 7 goals and the turds wouldn't wet themselves everytime it is mentioned.

i reckon if cruikie was playing in that infamous new years game instead of kenny garland he would never had conceeded 7 goals and the turds wouldn't wet themselves everytime it is mentioned.

On the other hand think what that hibs team would have won if Cruikie was their keeper.

Cruikie & Niemi for me. 2 top class keepers. I loved Henry also but he did make a fair few clangers when we should have had games won. eg '88 cup semi to smeltic.

tepi has been getting some stick on here but i always thought he was a decent enough goalie. Not comparable to Henry, Annti, Craig or big Giles from the modern era but did enough.

Some of my earliest memories of going to tynie were chanting 'henry henry give us a wave', so for that he has a special place even if he was past his best. Big giles was a top level goalie who saw us through an exciting and vibrant period. He gets bonus points for being a gentleman and a jambo. Niemi was probably the best goalie i've seen play for us, whilst craig had, possibly still has, the potential to make it at the very top.

My favourite has to be Rousset though, probably just because he started playing for us when i was 10 or so.

My time is Henry Smith onwards.

For me the critical thing about keepers is learning from their mistakes, and not making the same type for a considrable amount of time thereafter. For that alone Craig Gordon is the best. Injury and perhaps his kicking stop him moving from being talked about as a top 4 EPL keeper to actually being one. Everything else is very very good. His ability at one on ones to stay big for as long as possible and his judgement at cross balls (people that live in the past can't see this) are outstanding.

Niemi not far behind.

At their peaks, much of a muchness between Henry, Rousset and Kello. Their form tend to be in tandem with how the team performs whereas with Gordon and Niemi, the team could be cr@p but they could still be very good.

MacDonald, MacKenzie, Balough, Tepi ok - better than what Hibs ever had (apart from Goram/Bandy).

Snake Plissken

tepi has been getting some stick on here but i always thought he was a decent enough goalie. Not comparable to Henry, Annti, Craig or big Giles from the modern era but did enough.

Some of my earliest memories of going to tynie were chanting 'henry henry give us a wave', so for that he has a special place even if he was past his best. Big giles was a top level goalie who saw us through an exciting and vibrant period. He gets bonus points for being a gentleman and a jambo. Niemi was probably the best goalie i've seen play for us, whilst craig had, possibly still has, the potential to make it at the very top.

My favourite has to be Rousset though, probably just because he started playing for us when i was 10 or so.

Any defence of Moilanen is rendered moot by this howler

He let a few slip under him in his time, this was the worst though.

:down:

At their peaks, much of a muchness between Henry, Rousset and Kello. Their form tend to be in tandem with how the team performs whereas with Gordon and Niemi, the team could be cr@p but they could still be very good.

Niemi made so many "World class" saves for us which saved many a point. He was a great keeper. And the Southampton fans loved him too :thumbsup:

coatbridgejambo

Unlike the Hibs we've been truly blessed over the years...

I've seen some crackers in my 40 years but who is your fave no. 1

(doesn't have to be the best goalie we've had ..just ur favourite)

eg. Cruikie for the 70's (can't remember before then)

Broughy, Ray Dunlop? ;)

Henry (had his faults but a true fave)

Antti Niemi, Craig Gordon (toss up who was better in my book)

Marion Kello

Neimi or gordon for me, cant make up my mind but henry is a close 3rd

rudi must stay

Niemi for me. Gordon was great, but I always felt safer when Niemi was in goals for us.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Perhaps not the best keeper, though definitely the best until Rousett, Niemi etc, my favourite was undoubtedly Jim Cruickshank. At only 5'11'' he didn't have the reach of more recent keepers but he's the only goally that could bring people along to games as I, and others in those far off black times, would go along to Tynecastle knowing that the only player we had worth watching was Cruicky. He made saves that have lasted in my memory, without the aid of television, for nearly 50 years. If people remember your great moments (saves) for 50 years, then you trully are a LEGEND.

KillieMitch

I remember Niemi saving a Kevin McGowne free kick at Rugby Park - dived the length of the goals and got fingertips on it. Such a good save I was stunned and couldnt work it out. Looked physically impossible. He was class.

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

Wasn't our greatest keeper , but Roussett is my favourite . Just absolutely loved the guy

Unlike the Hibs we've been truly blessed over the years...

I've seen some crackers in my 40 years but who is your fave no. 1

(doesn't have to be the best goalie we've had ..just ur favourite)

eg. Cruikie for the 70's (can't remember before then)

Broughy, Ray Dunlop? ;)

Henry (had his faults but a true fave)

Antti Niemi, Craig Gordon (toss up who was better in my book)

Marion Kello

First goalie hero-Cruickshanks.

Second-Henry.

Best - Niemi.

Favourite- Gilles.

Best Scottish (Hearts player)-Gordon.

Best ever keeper I have seen with my own eyes-Goram.

And I'll raise you Brian Wilson!

Was he not I goal for the 3-4 v tic, he kneed the ball back to Lennox to bring it to 3-2 and them back into the game.

I remember Dunlop punching the ball into his own net from a corner at Stirling.

Not the best keepers I've seen at hearts by a long chalk.

Was he not I goal for the 3-4 v tic, he kneed the ball back to Lennox to bring it to 3-2 and them back into the game.

Archived