For 'old timers..'I

fordy

I asked this question a year or two back, just thought i'd ask again. :huh: Does anybody else remember Hearts signing a guy called Ron Crichton from either St Johnston, or Dundee, back in the early '60's'.?

iirc,'London Hearts' had no record of him, but i know we definitely signed him ! <_< surely i'm not the only 'Auld yin' that remembers him! :huh:

John Montgomery

I can't remember him either although I would only be about 11 or 12. However there is no mention of enyone by that name in the Hearts in Art book which claims to have a profile of every Hearts player who made a competitive league or cup appearance since 1946/47(published 1995). Maybe you have uncovered someone everybody else has missed.

The only signing I can really remeber Hearts making from St Johnstone in the sixties was Bobby Kemp. I lived in perth in the sixties and was at Muirton Park fairly regularly and cannot remember anybody by the name of Crighton playing for them.

WorldChampions1902

I asked this question a year or two back, just thought i'd ask again. :huh: Does anybody else remember Hearts signing a guy called Ron Crichton from either St Johnston, or Dundee, back in the early '60's'.?

iirc,'London Hearts' had no record of him, but i know we definitely signed him ! <_< surely i'm not the only 'Auld yin' that remembers him! :huh:

The OP is quite correct in his assertion.

Ronnie Crichton (Forward) signed from Dundee late in 1962 (don't know exact date) in time for the start of Season 1962-63. The earliest record I can find of him is the Reserve League Cup tie vs Celtic on 13th August 1962. He scored 2 goals two days later in the same competition when we defeated Dundee Utd Reserves at Tannadice 5-2 and made an appearance 2 days after that (17 Aug 1962)in the same tournie when we drew with Dundee Reserves 2 - 2 at Tynecastle.

Hi Doc

Thought you had a bit of senile dementia there,

but it seems you are right.

How you doing old yin.

Ally....

John Montgomery

Ronnie Crichton (Forward) signed from Dundee late in 1962 (don't know exact date) in time for the start of Season 1962-63. The earliest record I can find of him is the Reserve League Cup tie vs Celtic on 13th August 1962. He scored 2 goals two days later in the same competition when we defeated Dundee Utd Reserves at Tannadice 5-2 and made an appearance 2 days after that (17 Aug 1962)in the same tournie when we drew with Dundee Reserves 2 - 2 at Tynecastle.

Explains why it's not in Hearts in Art if he didn't play a first team match.

Hearts Heritage

We have records of 'almost' every player who played for the first XI post WWII. There are the odd 'newman' or 'triallist' that we don't know the name of.

And some games that were not deemed first eleven.

Hearts in Art splendid book BTW does not include those players who only ever appeared on the bench. A prominent example being the full Scottish International who came out of retirement to be on the bench for the two games vs Bayern .

Hi Doc

Thought you had a bit of senile dementia there,

but it seems you are right.

How you doing old yin.

Ally....

Hi Ally, how's things mate? Good to hear from you.

What are you upto?

I get the 'chop' next week, from our 'beloved company!'

Can't bloody wait!

Keep in touch mate, see you at the back of the goals! :thumbsup:

Thank you my friend! :thumbsup: Was beginning to think 'Ally' was right, and the old 'marbles' were going!

:ermm: Going to have a rummage in the attic to see if i can find my old 'album,' I'm sure i have a photo of the elusive Mr Crichton in it!

Now if only i knew how to put photos on here.... :mellow:

If that's off the top of your head you're up there with the Lawssier :whistling:

We have records of 'almost' every player who played for the first XI post WWII. There are the odd 'newman' or 'triallist' that we don't know the name of.

And some games that were not deemed first eleven.

Hearts in Art splendid book BTW does not include those players who only ever appeared on the bench. A prominent example being the full Scottish International who came out of retirement to be on the bench for the two games vs Bayern .

Nice bit of trivia I never knew. When I saw who it was I thought he'd be even older than the 42 years his Wiki page says he was (in 1989).

Nice bit of trivia I never knew. When I saw who it was I thought he'd be even older than the 42 years his Wiki page says he was (in 1989).

I am related to him in a distant way..... I actually forgot all about him signing. :mellow:

Hearts Heritage

Crichton, Ronald John 58/9 Dundee 20/06/58 06/04/41 IR Arbroath Lads Club New 4/18 SLDA

Crichton, Ronald John 59/0 Dundee 20/06/58 06/04/41 IR Arbroath Lads Club 4/18 SLDA

Crichton, Ronald John 60/1 Dundee 20/06/58 06/04/41 IR Arbroath Lads Club 10/18 SLDA 11 1

Crichton, Ronald John 61/2 Dundee 20/06/58 06/04/41 IR Arbroath Lads Club Freed 30/4/62 1/18 SLDA

Crichton, Ronald John 62/3 Hearts c 11/08/62 06/04/41 IF Dundee

11 Apps for Dundee

You had me beat here fordy. My money would have been on you having suffered a senior moment - a condition I am only too familiar with. Glad you were proved right.

You had me beat here fordy. My money would have been on you having suffered a senior moment - a condition I am only too familiar with. Glad you were proved right.

Hi DOUG, Glad that's been cleared up!Found the old album, and there's a photo of the 'Reserve' team in it, from around the early 60's.

Unfortunately a couple of the names have been lost in the picture. But see how many of these names you remember!

''Kirk, ?- ?- Docherty, Rutherford, Broome, Traynor, CRICHTON, Davidson, Elliot, 'Newman.' B)

Great to go through the old album again, after a few years !

Was surprised to see Bobby Kirk and Norrie Davidson in the 'Reserve team ' line-up.

Cheers!

Er, thanks for clearing that up :unsure:

Peter McCloy.

Ex-Rangers and Scotland.

Hearts Heritage

Peter McCloy.

Ex-Rangers and Scotland.

Ex-Motherwell, Ex-Rangers and Scotland.

Archived