City of Edinburgh Council urge Hearts to reconsiderr their handling of the Thomson situation

Jasonauskas

Templeton'sUnderpants

Ridiculous, he poses for more a threat if he is unemployed, what is he likely to do with the time? Sit in his flat? On Facebook...?

Only a matter of time until they are attacked as "looking for money/seeking publicity etc" by some gathering from some previous topics.

Or will it be the "they are all hobos and out to get us"?

Edinburgh District Council just about Vlads favourite organisation after the GFA telling us what to do.

that should really get us to change our decision.

It has nothing to do with the council. We are a private company, not public sector.

Also most councils probably have employed or help get employment for sex offenders in the past.

It is also in their interests that as many people in Edinburgh are working.

Vlad-Stupid

If any additional pressure, whether it's their business or not, that helps get him out the door is very welcome IMO.

Ridiculous, he poses for more a threat if he is unemployed, what is he likely to do with the time? Sit in his flat? On Facebook...?

Strange comment. He was a "threat" because of his role as a footballer surely? Anyway you could argue he is less threat as he is now infamous locally anyway.

From Perth to Paisley

It's not about risk. It's about public perception and right now the perception is that we are condoning his behavior. I know the statement makes it clear we are not but that is not the perception out there.

I'm not sure why people are surprised at the outcry. We market ourselves very strongly as a family and community club. Craig Thomson does not fit with that category.j

john brownlee

Only a matter of time until they are attacked as "looking for money/seeking publicity etc" by some gathering from some previous topics.

we'll swap him for planning premission of the new stand

I have every faith that vlad will say

"you give us planning permission for a new main stand and we will get rid of bheasty"

The more pressure the better!

This is the single worst decision ever made at this Club and there is no rational for it.

Do the right thing Hearts and get rid!! No-one including the manager wants him here!

It has nothing to do with the council. We are a private company, not public sector.

Also most councils probably have employed or help get employment for sex offenders in the past.

It is also in their interests that as many people in Edinburgh are working.

Another strange comment. They have explained their valid concerns and we do need to work with the council surely.

Vlad-Stupid

Lets keep Thommo in a job so he has less time for grooming or to keep the unemployment figures down

:vrface: :vrface: :vrface:

Armadale Jambo

WTF - So, we should keep him because he is to much of a threat if unemployed......

I've heard it all now!

Ryan Gosling

"you give us planning permission for a new main stand and we will get rid of bheasty"

Idiotic.

maroonlegions

Mother of girl groomed by sex offender Craig Thomson urges Hearts to sack him; :thumbsup:

quote;

"The mother of one of the young girls targeted by convicted sex offender Craig Thomson has backed calls for Hearts Football Club to sack him".

link; http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/news/260147-mother-of-girl-groomed-by-sex-offender-craig-thomson-urges-hearts-to-sack-him/

Well i agree with her here,as a dad i would be pushing for this too if it was my lassie he groomed;

Then this from the mother too below, she is bang on here strip way the footballer and we have a simple case of young girls being abused by an older man."

The mother of the 12-year-old girl the Sunday Mail: "They are meant to be a family club. Surely, they've got to sack him.

"It is ludicrous. It astounds me that this is the position they have taken in the face of what he did.

"After all, when you strip away all of the football stuff and forget he is a Hearts player, this is a simple case of young girls being abused by an older man."

Another strange comment. They have explained their valid concerns and we do need to work with the council surely.

We do but they say it is for child protection reasons but most people acknowledge the children will not be at risk.

Templeton'sUnderpants

Strange comment. He was a "threat" because of his role as a footballer surely? Anyway you could argue he is less threat as he is now infamous locally anyway.

It's not about risk. It's about public perception and right now the perception is that we are condoning his behavior. I know the statement makes it clear we are not but that is not the perception out there.

I'm not sure why people are surprised at the outcry. We market ourselves very strongly as a family and community club. Craig Thomson does not fit with that category.j

WTF - So, we should keep him because he is to much of a threat if unemployed......

I've heard it all now!

This thread is about the council pressure. For the reason I stated the council's view that he should be sacked is odd.

I am in no way stating that from a Heart's point of view that the decision to retain his services is a good one.

Jasonauskas

We market ourselves very strongly as a family and community club. Craig Thomson does not fit with that category.j

Nail hit on head

maroonlegions

The more pressure the better!

This is the single worst decision ever made at this Club and there is no rational for it.

Do the right thing Hearts and get rid!! No-one including the manager wants him here!

Exactly, the more pressure the better,that there will be more pressure surfacing in the days to come is true i feel,the pressure will get to much and either Hearts or CT himself will pull the plug on his Hearts days, they are now numbered i feel; :thumbsup:

Mr Brightside

What is the Councils suggestions for Thomson's employment /rehabilitation then?

Hearts sack him and where would they like him employed or is he destined to be permanently unemployable and therefore a drain on society?

Where is the statment from the Council etc regarding the lack of jail sentance for Thomson, that wasn't Hearts decision?

I don't want Thomson at the club, but I think the damage has been done by not sacking him and releasing the statement on Friday. Sacking him now will not take back all the negative publicity we have recieved.

From Perth to Paisley

This thread is about the council pressure. For the reason I stated the council's view that he should be sacked is odd.

I am in no way stating that from a Heart's point of view that the decision to retain his services is a good one.

But the council work with us as partners in many events involving children. To continue working with us could be perceived as being ok with our moral standards. So it is in their interests that we reconsider.

Pete Seeger

Have a word with yourself eh? You do realise we have no moral high ground when it comes to condoning sex offenders.

Ray Winstone

:keys:

Mad Dog Frazer

couldnt agree more. im actually really surprised by some folks reaction on here to the whole affair. we are quite rightly getting pressure from all different organisations and it will continue until we get rid of this guy

we had the chance to do the right thing and weve no-one to blame but ourselves(the club).

and what saddens me is the longer we dont do the right thing the longer we'll be tarnished with backing a sexual predator. mud sticks

Templeton'sUnderpants

But the council work with us as partners in many events involving children. To continue working with us could be perceived as being ok with our moral standards. So it is in their interests that we reconsider.

Their image as a result of working with us or the genuine safety of other children? As long as CT is in the public eye he will have to think twice about his behaviour. As soon as we sack him he begins to fade into obscurity, only remembered when he has abuse shouted at him by all and sundry. With no job opportunities and his life effectively ruined he is far more likely to spend his time getting up to the same shocking behaviour that got him in to this state.

It is surely in the councils interests as a matter of public safety that Thomson now remains at Hearts.

So here's an interesting thought...

Hearts are considering building a new stadium possibly (in fact probably) away from Tynecastle.

The deal would be a land swap with the council, Tynecastle for a bigger piece of land let's say at Sighthill. On this bigger piece of land Hearts build the new stadium and sell off a chunk to a supermarket to raise the money to build the stand.

This plan leaves some councilors asking why the council don't just sell the land to the supermarket raising funds for themselves.

Giving the land to Hearts should have the added value of the community impact, Hearts have to sell this plan to the council on the grounds that Hearts FC benefits the community.

Looks like that plan's fecked then.

carlos fanjambo

Good common sense statement from the cooncil (thats a first)

Another nail in his coffin, another step closer to the door.

This thread is likely to descend like the others into statements like they want publicity, they are only doing it because they want to be seen to do the right thing etc etc.

What ever the reason - IMO its the tip of the iceberg, Children 1st and these various organisations will be canvassing anyone with a connection to Hearts to disassociate themselves from the club - and many will.

Over the coming days I sense we will be looking very isolated, these groups know they have the backing of the general public and the vast majority of the hearts supporters base.... they will leverage this backing.

I really hope Romanov can see what he's doing and somehow make this right, and not because we are losing sponsors etc - just because sacking him is the right thing to do.

Their image as a result of working with us or the genuine safety of other children? As long as CT is in the public eye he will have to think twice about his behaviour. As soon as we sack him he begins to fade into obscurity, only remembered when he has abuse shouted at him by all and sundry. With no job opportunities and his life effectively ruined he is far more likely to spend his time getting up to the same shocking behaviour that got him in to this state.

It is surely in the councils interests as a matter of public safety that Thomson now remains at Hearts.

. He becomes just an ex footballer with no appeal to younger people and does not continue to be on any form of pedestal. Maybe if we all rushed out and bought Gary Glitter records he would be safely in the recording studios?

HMFC and the council DO have images to protect and need the confidence of all parties and as stated we do work together, partly at our request, with kids! Before anyone replies I accept that CT is nowhere down the same length of road as Gary Glitter.

Diadora Van Basten

Bandwagon jumpers!

Both the council and children 1st are trying to exploit the situation for their own gain.

Perhaps whilst we have their attention they can explain the logic of granting planning permission to a supermarket 50 yards from a chemical plant that is open for twenty odd hours a day 365 days a year and denying hearts planning permission for a new stand.

This thread is likely to descend like the others into statements like they want publicity, they are only doing it because they want to be seen to do the right thing etc etc.

What ever the reason - IMO its the tip of the iceberg, Children 1st and these various organisations will be canvassing anyone with a connection to Hearts to disassociate themselves from the club - and many will.

Over the coming days I sense we will be looking very isolated, these groups know they have the backing of the general public and the vast majority of the hearts supporters base.... they will leverage this backing.

I really hope Romanov can see what he's doing and somehow make this right, and not because we are losing sponsors etc - just because sacking him is the right thing to do.

"We" being HMFC and not the fans, by the way.

Bandwagon jumpers!

Both the council and children 1st are trying to exploit the situation for their own gain.

Perhaps whilst we have their attention they can explain the logic of granting planning permission to a supermarket 50 yards from a chemical plant that is open for twenty odd hours a day 365 days a year and denying hearts planning permission for a new stand.

Sainsbury's Murrayfield can be busy but never has 17000+ people in it ?

Rick Grimes

idiotic calling him bheasty?

why?

you're the one who said it, why not explain why its a good thing to say?

Malinga the Swinga

The City of Edinburgh council are the last people on earth who should give advice to anyone. J dawes in particular must be on borrowed time with the latest 'just a glitch' comment about the trams, and she and the other councillors must be delighted to get the chance to pass attention away from their tram project fiasco.

I don't know the answer, but from what they are coming out with, I presume no member or employee of the council, either directly or indirectly, has committed any similar offence or is on the register. If so, fair enough, but if there is even one person, does that not make them hypocrits.

If I were Edinburgh Council, and had made such a mess of the trams, I'd be looking to deflect attention to any prospective target as well.

grumpyjambo

Why the "h"?

...a bit disco

If I were Edinburgh Council, and had made such a mess of the trams, I'd be looking to deflect attention to any prospective target as well.

'a good day to bury bad news'

Spot on! :thumb:

I'll quite happily put money on it that the Council has employees who are on the SOR, or who have committed much worse crimes than CT.

Bizarre statement from them! :down:

Rudolf's Mate

Maybe they should use CT to build the foundations!

The Wrinkly Ninja

Nothing to see here....

The actual quotes don't match the headline in my opinion.

The council are quite rightly asking how Hearts are going to manage the situation.

It would be foolhardy for the council to say they will not work with organisations who employ offenders. The council employs offenders, and employs people to rehabilitate offenders.

jambopompey

how many hours do you think players spend training each day?

The City of Edinburgh council are the last people on earth who should give advice to anyone. J dawes in particular must be on borrowed time with the latest 'just a glitch' comment about the trams, and she and the other councillors must be delighted to get the chance to pass attention away from their tram project fiasco.

I don't know the answer, but from what they are coming out with, I presume no member or employee of the council, either directly or indirectly, has committed any similar offence or is on the register. If so, fair enough, but if there is even one person, does that not make them hypocrits.

Agree with this - just get on with the tram white elephant during a recession and stop wading in on this ya fandangos!

:thumbsup:

Archived