Grand National

david mcgee

david mcgee

McKelvey was second last year ( i was on it) it should have won, if it had Romanov would have been a distant memory, thems the breaks, it has had two hurdle spins this year to protect its chase handicap mark, why not take 32/1 on betfair and have a decent chance in the race. ( im already on at bigger prices).

Horses that have proved themselves over course and distance tend to do very well , but as this race is a 40 runner cavalry charge anything can happen, as the fences have been moderated in terms of safety it is not the lottery it used to be, i have also bet Ossmoses at anti post prices but at 49 in the list of runners with only 40 guaranteed its participation looks dubious.

McKelvey was second last year ( i was on it) it should have won, if it had Romanov would have been a distant memory, thems the breaks, it has had two hurdle spins this year to protect its chase handicap mark, why not take 32/1 on betfair and have a decent chance in the race. ( im already on at bigger prices).

Horses that have proved themselves over course and distance tend to do very well , but as this race is a 40 runner cavalry charge anything can happen, as the fences have been moderated in terms of safety it is not the lottery it used to be, i have also bet Ossmoses at anti post prices but at 49 in the list of runners with only 40 guaranteed its participation looks dubious.

I was on McKelvey last year :(

I quite like Turko, Point Barrow and Bewley's Berry, although Idle Talk's name jumps out at me :P

Say What Again

I'm goinig to back the f***** - sorry, the Fundamentalist.

Backed e/w first day at Cheltenham = naewhere

Didn't back it 3rd day at Cheltenham = 3rd @ 33's (backed in from 50s)

^^^^s owe me

Terrible Trio
McKelvey was second last year ( i was on it)

I thought you were in the Cenny watching it - I thought the jockey was hopeless right enough

Pete Seeger

I've got a few small bets on but Butlers cabin and Simon are the horses for me.

Ive had inside info from the Pipe yard that Comply or Die will win, so im on that one.....;) Hedgehunter is another who will jump all day and thats a big plus at Aintree:)

The Old Tolbooth

Hedgehunters a class act at Aintree and has to be respected, I was also on McKelvey last year and felt robbed!

Not had a proper look at anything really yet as I usually wait until the day to see what the goings like, any jockey changes, and of course, last minute info ;)

Sergio Garcia

anybody got an updated list of runners and riders, cant access it at work but wouldnt mind a study at them today.

I didn't realise you were a jockey, David.

Good racing today,

Binocular was brilliant. Kauto needs to be put out in the field for a long holiday.

Sexton Hardcastle

Been told to back Turko. Came from 40's down to 25's..

But fancy Hedgehunter and Mckelvey. Mite go a few quid e/w. Could do with a healthy win after not backing "Our Vic"

Hedgehunters a class act at Aintree and has to be respected, I was also on McKelvey last year and felt robbed!

Not had a proper look at anything really yet as I usually wait until the day to see what the goings like, any jockey changes, and of course, last minute info ;)

I have Hedghunter because Ruby is on it and Butlers Cabin because McCoy is on it.Both ?2.50 ew and ?5 ew on Cloudy Lane just because it is the favourite.

Been told to back Turko. Came from 40's down to 25's..

But fancy Hedgehunter and Mckelvey. Mite go a few quid e/w. Could do with a healthy win after not backing "Our Vic"

Was gonna back Turko as my outsider, although 25s is getting a bit tight considering the weights

I've gone ?10 e/w on Butler's Cabin and ?5 e/w on Hedgehunter.

Got Simon and Butler's Cabin in the office sweepstake.

May place another small on tomorrow.

Turko was still 33/1 at Coral so have gone for that

Will also put another one on tomorrow, either Point Barrow or Bewley's Berry

Say What Again
How does each way work?

If your horse comes 2nd, 3rd or 4th (up to 5th in some bookies) you get paid out on a 1/4 of it's odds. Though your e/w bet costs double as you have to back it to win and to be placed.

For example:

?2 e/w (bet comes to ?4) on a horse finishing 4th at 16/1.

1/4 of 16/1 is 4/1 so you get ?2 x 4/1 = ?8 (plus you ?2 back = ?10)

If the horse actually wins the race then you get paid out on both. In addition to your ?10 above for having ?2 on it being placed, you'd also get ?2 on it winning at 16/1.

?2 x 16 = ?32 (plus your ?2 stake = ?34)

plus your ?10 for a place = ?44

Does that make sense? :confused:

Pete Seeger
I've gone ?10 e/w on Butler's Cabin and ?5 e/w on Hedgehunter.

Got Simon and Butler's Cabin in the office sweepstake.

May place another small on tomorrow.

You may well have done very well in the sweepstake

i just went for Hedgehunter again, backed it the last couple of times. Dont think theres much point in studying the form, as well just picking randomly.

Oh and spare a thought for the cashier when you're in tomoro, Grand National is a nightmare :sad:

Comply or die or simon for me. Simon has been backed pretty heavily where i work. Cant see Cloudy lane winning it to be honest.

Come on contraband!!

The Old Tolbooth

I cant see Cloudy Lane winning it either and the fact its such a short price is a bit of a joke. It hasnt lasted past 3M 4F yet and this race is 4M 4F, plus its a sketchy jumper.

rossthejambo

iv put a ?5 E/W on hedgehunter. dont really know much about horses tbh but have heard good things about it so thought id put a few quid on it. im on a good run of wins with bets at the moment so just hoping my run holds out til after this race.

Benny Factor
I cant see Cloudy Lane winning it either and the fact its such a short price is a bit of a joke. It hasnt lasted past 3M 4F yet and this race is 4M 4F, plus its a sketchy jumper.

I fancied Knowhere even before tonight... then i saw what date the horse was born... 16th May 1998... get in!! :)

Cloudy Lane is only such a big favourite because of the McCain factor. It is a very good horse, but for a debut at this trip, and in the national, it should never be so short

I signed up to Paddy Power so I get a free bet, and was gonna use it on Point Barrow. It is only 22s though, where as everywhere else has it 25s and 28s. Do I take the risk of it drifting with Paddy's tomorrow morning, or is there likely to be a bit of support for it in the morning?

It's not that I can't see Cloudy Lane winning it. It's got a better chance than any with the form and weights, but it's just not backable for me at the current price and that is why I'm avoiding it. Yes, a bit of the price is to do with the McCain factor but I I think that's a small factor in the grand scheme of things.

Butler's Cabin/Hedgehunter!

Dr Ian Malcolm
i just went for Hedgehunter again, backed it the last couple of times. Dont think theres much point in studying the form, as well just picking randomly.

Oh and spare a thought for the cashier when you're in tomoro, Grand National is a nightmare :sad:

I'd normally agree but I'm not working tomorrow :D. Enjoy.

I'd normally agree but I'm not working tomorrow :D. Enjoy.

how the hell can you get grand national off!?

witchcraft!!!

I've gone for:

Hedgehunter (23/1) ?3.70

McKelvey (28/1) ?2

Idle Talk (129/1) ?2

These are the current odds on betfair for those horses.

witchcraft!!!

I agree, not even it being my 20th tomorrow was enough. Will be a class night tonight even though im getting a flight home at five in the morning. Ladbrokes are even buying our first pint.

Captain Canada

I've gone for Point Barrow and McKelvey - got a good feeling about Point Barrow - don't know why, it just jumped off the page at me!

I agree, not even it being my 20th tomorrow was enough. Will be a class night tonight even though im getting a flight home at five in the morning. Ladbrokes are even buying our first pint.

Is it true Ladbrokes aren't open tonight?

Hills are still open til half 9 :sad:

Dr Ian Malcolm
Is it true Ladbrokes aren't open tonight?

Hills are still open til half 9 :sad:

We've never been open 'til half 9 on national day. Absolute shocker Hills are open 'til then. Smacks of greed, is already th busiest day of the year when you're not open that long.

Dr Ian Malcolm

witchcraft!!!

I never work Saturdays so they don't ask me to. I just don't mention it on the off chance they want me to work.

Toxteth O'Grady
I fancied Knowhere even before tonight... then i saw what date the horse was born... 16th May 1998... get in!! :)

I just have to have a bet on that now.

:)

Hedgehunter 20/1, L'Ami 33/1 and Fundamentalist 66/1.

A bit on each E/W.

I've changed my mind and put E/W bets on;

Hedgehunter, Mon Mome and Kelami.

Archived