recommend me a printer

Commander Harris

Commander Harris

looking to get a new printer as the old one is knackered, looking for a bit of advice on models folk have found to be good.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced printer which doesn't cost a fortune to run. I generally just print text, I don't need to print photos and I'm not bothered about graphic quality. I'm a cheapskate so the most important factor is low running costs. i.e. cartridges that aren't too expensive and last a reasonable amount of time.

any suggestions?

monkfish1979

I only print text and music, managed to pick up an HP 1018 on amazon for about 30 quid - well worth it, as it's a laser printer, your text looks much better than inkjet, and it's about 3 million times quicker. Probably cheaper to buy the same printer again than it'd be to replace the toner, but that's still cheaper than shelling out for inkjet cartridges.....

Edit - just checked, toner cartridge = ?20. Mint.

Commander Harris
I only print text and music, managed to pick up an HP 1018 on amazon for about 30 quid - well worth it, as it's a laser printer, your text looks much better than inkjet, and it's about 3 million times quicker. Probably cheaper to buy the same printer again than it'd be to replace the toner, but that's still cheaper than shelling out for inkjet cartridges.....

might check that out cheers.

where's that price for the toner from?

Era Macaroons

im 'in the trade'

the suggestion by monkfish is a good one as your printing mainly text and dont desire colour pictures (its black only)

If you want to persist with inkjet then HP are a good bet for decent quality and cartridge price.

or get an epson, hammer it with cheap copy cartridges and hammer it for 1-2 years.(till they often die...then get another one).

Recently bought a HP the one that was on offer in pc world it is wireless got it installed on all 3 pc's in the house print from anywhere also with laptops.

Bought the cheapest printer available from PC World last weekend.

Epson something-or-other. ?25..incl. refillls.

?25 for colour / b&w replacement cartridges

Good quality prints (photographic quality) non smudge ink - definately recommend.

Commander Harris

anymore suggestions?

think I'm going to go with the HP 1018, any other cheap lasers I should consider?

The Old Tolbooth

I've got a Samsung laser printer mate but paid ?15 on Ebay for bottles of toner and just refill it myself, not had to buy any more for nearly 2 years now and still got some left (approx another years worth at least).

monkfish1979
I've got a Samsung laser printer mate but paid ?15 on Ebay for bottles of toner and just refill it myself, not had to buy any more for nearly 2 years now and still got some left (approx another years worth at least).

Nice one. Is it quite easy to do? Potentially helluva messy.

The Old Tolbooth
Nice one. Is it quite easy to do? Potentially helluva messy.

Yeah its pretty easy to do mate, depending on your cartridge design there should be 4 or 5 screws to take out and then you basically pour the carbon into the cartridge and then screw it all back together. I would do it on a newspaper tho just in case as it could get messy unless your careful, and its deffo worth taking your time to do it. Other than that there's not much more to it.

Cheap canon inkjets are great if they take the:

* Black BCI-24BK

* Colour BCI-24C

cartridges. They are dirt cheap (like 30p each) on ebay.

I have the MP110. It scans and photocopies really well too.

The models that fit are:

* i250 i255 i320 i350 i355 i360 i450 i455 i470D i475D

* PIXMA iP1000 iP1500 iP2000

* Imageclass MP-110 MP-130

* Multipass F-20 MP-360 MP-370 MP-390 MPC-190

* Multipass MPC-200 S200 S300 S330

* Smartbase MPC-190 MP-360 MP-370 MP-390 MPC-200 and s200sp

Market price for CANON ink cartridges:

rudi must stay

got one which is a printer and a scanner. HP photosmart i think it is, would recommend that

i bought one online for ?20 a couple of years ago. i only use it to print text. the inks run out now and i think it would cost the same to replace the cart.

just gonna buy another cheap one and might even be as cheeky to sell my current one on ebay to offset the cost

I recently got a new Kodak one. It was more expensive but ink is cheap as. Think its 6 quid for black and about a tenner for colour. Its one that does photos so probably not what you are looking for but just a suggestion

I recently got a new Kodak one. It was more expensive but ink is cheap as. Think its 6 quid for black and about a tenner for colour. Its one that does photos so probably not what you are looking for but just a suggestion

Those Canon cartridges I mentioned are 30p each. 95% off the Kodak price.

Seriously find an MP110 or one of the others - cheapest printer to run - by miles.

?15 HP printer at PC World (On-line only price with free P&P)

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/product.php?sku=300581&camp_id=OfferoftheDay

If you reserve on-line and take a print out down to the store they will give you the item at the on-line price.

Done it last week when buying 2gb ram as an upgrade for my desktop and saved ?20 on the in-store price.

Archived