Under 17s

jamboscotty

jamboscotty

I have seen a few under 17s games this season and recently heard only 2 players were given contracts and a good few were released and 2 in particular who stoodout in games i seen in the last few games of there season. I knew we had a boy from hibs he really had something in the locker and scott campbell solid player and also played in the victory shield. I rememeber the game against queens park at riccerton the hibs boy never lost the ball once and never misses a pass and the boy campbell solid as a rock at the back. And at Murray Park Scott Campbell rock solid at the back and the boy from hibs i remember him taking 4 players out the game with a dummy pass. Bringing back a reserve league would give players like these 2 i mentioned in the under 19s and the 19s moving over to the reserves.

Agree that we need a league for the 19+ to play in.

Moving from U17s to U19s has a lot to do with how many players in the U19 squad are still eligible to play at U19 the following season. It is a similar situation moving from U15 to U17.

Sometimes due to numbers, players are released when maybe they should have been retained.

Hearts wanted a reserve league but others said they could not afford it.

Think the major problem is that clubs are under pressure to limit the numbers

and have to let some go and it can become a bit of a lottery. There are hundreds

of kids go through the academys and they cant all make it, you can only hope that

you have enough ability or in some cases your face fits.

jamboscotty

Agree that we need a league for the 19+ to play in.

Moving from U17s to U19s has a lot to do with how many players in the U19 squad are still eligible to play at U19 the following season. It is a similar situation moving from U15 to U17.

Sometimes due to numbers, players are released when maybe they should have been retained.

I know mate i know spl clubs 2 seasons ago they were offering between 4 and 8 contracts now most clubs are offering now only 2/3 contracts. If you offer 8 contracts you should get at least 2/3 players making the grade but if you offer only 2 its a slim chance of 1 making it. My point is this they brought a boy from hibs in with 1 games trial which i was told and standout in the first game and they keep him till the end then offer him nothing leaving him on the scrapheap when he showed flashes of brilliance. Like wise scott cambpell defender solid now both looking for a club i heard.

As has been said, there is alot of players who played last year 19s & have got another full year - including Holt & Smith who both played for first team! 8 out of the 11 that thrashed Celtic last game of 19s season are still able to play along with Jamie Walker who was injured!

Think the problem is that if they aren't see as good enough, they won't be kept on. I think the staff at 19s level are good enough to judge this

With Scott Campbell, only surprise is that there is 1 fit CB in 19s squad now, so maybe could've been given a shot. Though, wasn't all that impressed in victory shield

jamboscotty

As has been said, there is alot of players who played last year 19s & have got another full year - including Holt & Smith who both played for first team! 8 out of the 11 that thrashed Celtic last game of 19s season are still able to play along with Jamie Walker who was injured!

Think the problem is that if they aren't see as good enough, they won't be kept on. I think the staff at 19s level are good enough to judge this

With Scott Campbell, only surprise is that there is 1 fit CB in 19s squad now, so maybe could've been given a shot. Though, wasn't all that impressed in victory shield

My point was that 1 player speedy was promised a contract and they brought in a boy from hibs on a 1 week trial played against inverness best player on the park and scored a sublime goal. Then plays a blinder against dunfremline and queens park in the xavi roll defensive midfielder. I like to watch the first team and the under 17s to see the talent coming throw and speaking to a few people at hearts even thow they asked him they never had a contract for him i am really annoyed how clubs can do this to young lads.

Footballfirst

My point was that 1 player speedy was promised a contract and they brought in a boy from hibs on a 1 week trial played against inverness best player on the park and scored a sublime goal. Then plays a blinder against dunfremline and queens park in the xavi roll defensive midfielder. I like to watch the first team and the under 17s to see the talent coming throw and speaking to a few people at hearts even thow they asked him they never had a contract for him i am really annoyed how clubs can do this to young lads.

Youth football at elite level is a cut throat business and the players and parents know that. Yes, it is disappointing that so many have been released but when you say that only "Speedy" (Dale Carrick) from the original U17 squad got a contract that is not the full story. Jack Hamilton, Billy King and Callum Parterson from this season's U17s already had full time contracts. Add to that, Michael Thomson from Hamilton,Daniel O'Rourke (?) from Hibs and possibly George Scott from Rangers, then the numbers moving from U17 up to U19 isn't too bad a return.

I too watched a lot of U17 games last season and they were very inconsistent. Scoring goals didn't appear to be an issue, but keeping clean sheets was aproblem. I think that was reflected in the decision not to retain the 2nd year defenders in Scott Campbell and Jordan Brown. I understand that Dunfermline have invited Jordan for pre-season with their U19 side.

The U19s start pre-season on Monday, so I will take a trip out sometime next week, to see how the squad is shaping up. I do expect that the U19s will be competitive again this season with a technically very good side, although they are lacking some of the physique of last year's team.

It will be very difficult for some of these lads to take when they are told that they are no longer

wanted by a club as many will have been with them from a very early age. They know as well as the parents

that it could all come to an end one day, there is a very fine line between being kept on or not and with

clubs limiting numbers some may have to go.I would like to see a reserve league as those who are getting

released would maybe get a wee chance to impress. Having said that not all of them can make it and it's only a

small percentage that go on play full time football. The 15-19 year old age bracket is very important as one bad six months

and you could be out the door never to be seen again, kids all mature at different ages as well and it could all

go wrong for some when girls and drink etc start to become involved as well, things that go on in the background

away from football can often effect their football.

Hearts wanted a reserve league but others said they could not afford it.

If the smaller SFL clubs can run a reserve league, I cannot why the SPL clubs cannot.

Of course the main difference is that SFL clubs have mainly part-time players while SPL clubs will be wanting to maintain players on full-time contracts.

In my opinion a reserve league is not the answer, an U21 league would be a better option. Or Hearts can run a team in the EoS league. My eldest son plays in a U21 league and the standard is high.

jamboscotty

Youth football at elite level is a cut throat business and the players and parents know that. Yes, it is disappointing that so many have been released but when you say that only "Speedy" (Dale Carrick) from the original U17 squad got a contract that is not the full story. Jack Hamilton, Billy King and Callum Parterson from this season's U17s already had full time contracts. Add to that, Michael Thomson from Hamilton,Daniel O'Rourke (?) from Hibs and possibly George Scott from Rangers, then the numbers moving from U17 up to U19 isn't too bad a return.

I too watched a lot of U17 games last season and they were very inconsistent. Scoring goals didn't appear to be an issue, but keeping clean sheets was aproblem. I think that was reflected in the decision not to retain the 2nd year defenders in Scott Campbell and Jordan Brown. I understand that Dunfermline have invited Jordan for pre-season with their U19 side.

The U19s start pre-season on Monday, so I will take a trip out sometime next week, to see how the squad is shaping up. I do expect that the U19s will be competitive again this season with a technically very good side, although they are lacking some of the physique of last year's team.

My point is taking the lad from hibs on a weeks trial when he already had offers from other clubs then keeping him waiting till the last game then telling him they were not keeping him on. So 1 week trial 1st game was standout then keeping him hanging on till the end 5 weeks later when all clubs have signed all there quota of players. Thats not cuthroat thats taking the pash. I like to watch all youth football from grass roots to my hearts mostly being a jambo but also hibs with being only a 5min drive. I remember going to watch hearts at east mains months ago and this boy came on as a sub for hibs and tore hearts apart and scored hit the post and made the hearts keeper make a great save as the lad was only on trial at hibs i was led to beleve from my sourse. Does anyone know where the boy has ended up.

My point is taking the lad from hibs on a weeks trial when he already had offers from other clubs then keeping him waiting till the last game then telling him they were not keeping him on. So 1 week trial 1st game was standout then keeping him hanging on till the end 5 weeks later when all clubs have signed all there quota of players. Thats not cuthroat thats taking the pash. I like to watch all youth football from grass roots to my hearts mostly being a jambo but also hibs with being only a 5min drive. I remember going to watch hearts at east mains months ago and this boy came on as a sub for hibs and tore hearts apart and scored hit the post and made the hearts keeper make a great save as the lad was only on trial at hibs i was led to beleve from my sourse. Does anyone know where the boy has ended up.

from the description you give, he's probably at barca by now

The Treasurer

I have seen a few under 17s games this season and recently heard only 2 players were given contracts and a good few were released and 2 in particular who stoodout in games i seen in the last few games of there season. I knew we had a boy from hibs he really had something in the locker and scott campbell solid player and also played in the victory shield. I rememeber the game against queens park at riccerton the hibs boy never lost the ball once and never misses a pass and the boy campbell solid as a rock at the back. And at Murray Park Scott Campbell rock solid at the back and the boy from hibs i remember him taking 4 players out the game with a dummy pass. Bringing back a reserve league would give players like these 2 i mentioned in the under 19s and the 19s moving over to the reserves.

And your user name is Jamboscotty

Hmmmmm whistling.gif

And your user name is Jamboscotty

Hmmmmm whistling.gif

Thought that myself! He's either campbell or sergey.

Archived