Vancouver ice hockey fans riot

Buffalo Bill

Daily Mail link to ice hockey riot

Check out these nutters, and in particular the poor wee lassie trying in vain to defend her car.

This was all over SSN yesterday, did they not riot in 1994 as well? Absolute scum. The Canucks must be a North American version of the Mould Firm. Their fans seem to be a holocaustual diseased mix of Lennons bitterness at losing and Hun thuggery/rioting after a fair defeat (vs Zeit St Petersburg). Add to that Hobo idiocy as they slaughter a whole city... their own city.

:rudi::vrface:

Well done to the girl(s) for sticking up for themselves and their car against a mass mob though. :)

Forza Cuore

Totally don't get this. Aye be pissed off your team got stuffed, but to go off and wreck your own town defies logic. (Jenners windows apart) can't imagine this happening in oor toon.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Not surprised. Symptomatic of the towering arrogance of Vancouver folk and how knowingly 'hip' they are.

It was a total disgrace. Police claim the trouble was started by a small minority of anarchists who tried to stimulate trouble at the opening of the Olympics. Anyone who watched this could see that thousands were involved. One reporter referred to them as protesters.

The City allowed close to 100,000 people to come into a relatively small area to watch the game on large screens. This because it had been done during the Olympics, what was not considered was that they had brought in 8000 police for that event, on Wednesday they had less than 100 in direct attendance. It was perfect for the instigators who were there.

The police had a meet and greet policy, nice polis going round high fiving the people. That all changed when the trouble started. A cost of millions on property damage, many injuries and black mark on Vancouver and Canada. I watched the whole thing live on TV. Cars destroyed a Hummer, a BMW, a Mini Cooper and others to badly damaged to see. Two police cars burned, stabbings, fights and other injuries.

The police chief says they had a plan, it seemed to allow property damage so that life could be protected, it presented itself to a viewer as a plan that involved doing little or nothing.

It has been suggested that the Mayor had asked that police action be kept "low key" this seemed to be the case, the police on the line were being taunted, threatened, and were presenting minimum reaction, they were doing what they were told very well.

Its not a popular suggestion with many but I feel the Police Chief should resign. His officer commanding the scene should be disciplined, as should the officer responsible for collecting intelligence if he was not aware that there were persons carrying gas masks, gasoline to light fire, weapons, and masks to disguise their identity. If they did not know this in advance they were negligent, if they did they were almost, in my humble opinion criminally responsible.

They brought in officers from various Municipalities and the R.C.M.P. I heard a policemans wife on the radio saying her husband one of those brought in could hear on some radio a policeman calling for assistance, but as they all and different radios could not contact each other.

As far as Canucks supporters, the ones in the stadium stayed and cheered the Bruins as they received the Cup, and gave an ovation to the Bruins goalie who got the MVP award.

I P Knightley

I've got family in BC. Between them, they own (I think) 4 cars.

Judging by the press coverage, it's a sure-fire cert that at least one of them is on its roof, on fire or both.

I had no idea that Vancouverites were quite so mental.

Buffalo Bill

What I found shocking (oh god, I am turning into a Daily Mail reader) was that the crowd were all willing to stand back and allow the girl's car to be smashed up, when she appeared to be with a child (or a very small person!).

All the fans present were guilty. In fact I was delighted to see the girl fighting to defend her property. She put up a damn good fight and hopefully she'll be identified and compensated. Those fans should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for what they did there. What a cowardly bunch of wanks.

I've got family in BC. Between them, they own (I think) 4 cars.

Judging by the press coverage, it's a sure-fire cert that at least one of them is on its roof, on fire or both.

I had no idea that Vancouverites were quite so mental.

The fact is they done exactly the same thing under similar circumstances in 1994. It seems if given the opportunity they will act in a manner that they think is heroic, copying the things they see on TV. The other fact is though the people in Cairo, Tripoli etc had something to get violent about, the only excuse these animals have is that their life,freedoms, economy and everything else is too good. In a couple of months the majority of them will be crying their eyes out that the government need to help them with something, not considering the millions of dollars literally they have cost us for what many of them have now described as fun and entertainment. If I sound a bit upset you should have seen me on Wednesday night watching the fiasco.

Im off to Vancouver for a wee jolly in October.

Hope they have chilled out a bit by then..

Im off to Vancouver for a wee jolly in October.

Hope they have chilled out a bit by then..

I'm going there in 18 days. I'll guarantee my hotel's been fire-bombed

The hotels' seemed to escape any damage, now the whole place is in damage control both physically and regaining the we are lovely people reputation. To be honest see no reason why there should be any unrest, which is exactly what the police chief said on Wednesday morning. :P:down:

Seems to be fine according to the locals...........they would say that though!! :thumbsup:

Local view

Seems to be fine according to the locals...........they would say that though!! :thumbsup:

Local view

Comment from one of the members

"Come and visit, you'll have a riot!"

:thumbsup:

The hotels' seemed to escape any damage, now the whole place is in damage control both physically and regaining the we are lovely people reputation. To be honest see no reason why there should be any unrest, which is exactly what the police chief said on Wednesday morning. :P:down:

Thanks Bob. Still looking forward to enjoying your beautiful, if slightly singed,city

All roads lead to Gorgie

Was actually in Vancouver on holiday when it kicked off in 1994. We were staying in Robson street where a lot of the trouble happened. The Canuks lost to the NY Rangers then and some of the chants of **** you Rangers I agreed with before it turned ugly and we took refuge at our hotel. The locals were really apologetic and said this might happen in Toronto but never before in their city. Seems they were wrong again. Nice place to visit but check who is in the Stanley Cup final before going is my advice.

alwaysthereinspirit

Hopefully they can get the identity of a good few and throw the book at them. Never really got the whole mob mentality thing.

Hopefully they can get the identity of a good few and throw the book at them. Never really got the whole mob mentality thing.

There are actually a few who have turned themselves in, probably in the hope they will get a lighter sentence.

At least the real fans gave the Bruins a deserved applause and Tim Thomas a standing ovation.

Whitecapjambo

I spoke to my Mum at home the other night and it was really interesting to see how this was being portrayed in the UK. There was definitely a different twist to the reports than what I watched live, much like some of the ridiculous coverage surrounding the Olympics last year (London 1 Vancouver 0 in the times after the luger died).

After the game I felt sick, I barely spoke to any of my friends the whole third period and when it was over wanted nothing more than to go home and not hear about Hockey for a while. I would say this is a pretty normal reaction from someone who cares. I felt the same at the 96 cup final and the Coca Cola cup final a year later. Just after the game we saw the plume of smoke rising out of downtown and then the news reports started coming in.

From the reports and videos I have seen people are suggesting there was a group of people who went down there to cause trouble and I am pretty sure something would have happened regardless of the result. People photographed with balaclavas/masks and carrying petrol to start the fires. There were definitely a lot of ******s that got caught up in what was going on and thousands standing about watching/filming what was happening. I agree that many of them helped incite the situation.

I agree with what someone said earlier about there being a bit of an arrogance here on the west coast. People love the sound of their own voice and their social skills are pretty lacking sometimes. They can be quite passive aggressive most of the time and when they have an audience that can turn to attention seeking behaviour. I was down for the game on Friday night laughing at how you could never do this at home as there would be carnage. 70,000 people sitting in organised rows, not drinking, having good clean fun.

Sadly, what I am sure has not been reported was the standing ovation the Bruins received after the game especially for Thomas who acknowledged it in his speech after, the hundreds of people who volunteered to go and clean the streets downtown the day after and the number of pictures and videos that have been sent to police to identify the people involved in the trouble.

Rant over, come to Vancouver, you'll love it.

J.T.F.Robertson

I spoke to my Mum at home the other night and it was really interesting to see how this was being portrayed in the UK. There was definitely a different twist to the reports than what I watched live, much like some of the ridiculous coverage surrounding the Olympics last year (London 1 Vancouver 0 in the times after the luger died).

After the game I felt sick, I barely spoke to any of my friends the whole third period and when it was over wanted nothing more than to go home and not hear about Hockey for a while. I would say this is a pretty normal reaction from someone who cares. I felt the same at the 96 cup final and the Coca Cola cup final a year later. Just after the game we saw the plume of smoke rising out of downtown and then the news reports started coming in.

From the reports and videos I have seen people are suggesting there was a group of people who went down there to cause trouble and I am pretty sure something would have happened regardless of the result. People photographed with balaclavas/masks and carrying petrol to start the fires. There were definitely a lot of ******s that got caught up in what was going on and thousands standing about watching/filming what was happening. I agree that many of them helped incite the situation.

I agree with what someone said earlier about there being a bit of an arrogance here on the west coast. People love the sound of their own voice and their social skills are pretty lacking sometimes. They can be quite passive aggressive most of the time and when they have an audience that can turn to attention seeking behaviour. I was down for the game on Friday night laughing at how you could never do this at home as there would be carnage. 70,000 people sitting in organised rows, not drinking, having good clean fun.

Sadly, what I am sure has not been reported was the standing ovation the Bruins received after the game especially for Thomas who acknowledged it in his speech after, the hundreds of people who volunteered to go and clean the streets downtown the day after and the number of pictures and videos that have been sent to police to identify the people involved in the trouble.

Rant over, come to Vancouver, you'll love it.

I'm in Calgary, but totally agree.

I also concur in that something like this was always on the cards and had nowt to do with the outcome of the game. Partly the result of too much booze and partly down to the anarchistic types your part of the world seems to attract. :P (it takes genuine revolutionary fervour to trash the system when it's 20 or 30 below ;))

The Mayor by opening the City to crowds by providing large screens has to accept considerable share of reponsibility for the outcome. This guy is the Mayor who has spent a fortune on bicycle lanes which have negatively impacted businesses. Have caused difficulty for emergency vehicles to negotiate tight corners. He has encouraged changes to By Laws which did not allow the keeping of livestock, in this case chickens in your back yard, he has encouraged the use of back gardens as vegetable gardens, and is now on a campaign to have home owners grow wheat in their front gardens. I almost expect to see him with a placard saying get out of Vietnam he is so sixties hippie

Archived