Us open golf

Jezza

Who else is watching? Any tips? I have a tenner on mcilroy at 20s and 5 each way on stricker and McDowell! Anyone else got a punt on?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tommy Wiseau

Had lots to do tonight.

Came in, saw the Open was on.

Will do it all tomorrow I suppose. :vrface:

Hoping for a big performance from McIlroy after his nightmare at the Masters. Would also like to see Poulter and Garcia do well. Shame Westwood has had a howler in his opener. +4 FFS. :facepalm:

I know mate westy and Luke were rubbish today! Was quality hearing the usual "get in the hole" when lefty mickleson hit his first drive.....right into the water! Up yis haha.

The Mighty Thor

Had lots to do tonight.

Came in, saw the Open was on.

Will do it all tomorrow I suppose. :vrface:

Hoping for a big performance from McIlroy after his nightmare at the Masters. Would also like to see Poulter and Garcia do well. Shame Westwood has had a howler in his opener. +4 FFS. :facepalm:

Productivity was down in my gaff today as well.

Westwood got himself out of position a few times and his putting is shite. Colin Montgomery shite.

I put money on Dustin Johnston and Nick Watney then Dusty goes and gets a 7 on his second hole

Tommy Wiseau

I know mate westy and Luke were rubbish today! Was quality hearing the usual "get in the hole" when lefty mickleson hit his first drive.....right into the water! Up yis haha.

:lol:

Meant to mention Donald's 'mare as well. It quite often does seem to be a winner from left field though, so with Kaymer, Donald and Westwood all having poor rounds and Tiger not there at all, could be a wee opening for a Cabrera type to come through the pack.

Productivity was down in my gaff today as well.

Westwood got himself out of position a few times and his putting is shite. Colin Montgomery shite.

So bad eh? :vrface:

No way back for the lad after that I feel. You can't get away with constantly hacking your way out of trouble at Bethesda. Good to see McDowell start with a solid round though. :thumbsup:

Meant to mention Donald's 'mare as well. It quite often does seem to be a winner from left field though, so with Kaymer, Donald and Westwood all having poor rounds and Tiger not there at all, could be a wee opening for a Cabrera type to come through the pack.

So bad eh? :vrface:

No way back for the lad after that I feel. You can't get away with constantly hacking your way out of trouble at Bethesda. Good to see McDowell start with a solid round though. :thumbsup:

Im thinking Rory or one of the Asians. As long as it's not some Yank nobody Ill be happy :)

great start from one of my tips, sabbatini. :smug:

solid start from poulter and cabrera. horror show by the goose. :yucky:

the scots lads are doing quite well.

Tommy Wiseau

Mickelson is a hoot. :lol:

Garcia and Poults solid as they come so far. :thumbsup:

I can't stand Phil Mickelson.

Knob :down:

If I hadn't kicked the gambling I'd have backed Choi.

Good shout.

McIlroy is playing class. :thumbsup:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

McIlroy is looking very good at the moment. Also, good to see Sergio playing well too.

I've got my usual group of Asian outsiders at odds of 500/1+ but most of them have struggled apart from KT Kim who is -2.

Also got Yang at 66/1, Garcia at 60/1 and Poulter at 60/1 so looking not bad so far.

I've got my usual group of Asian outsiders at odds of 500/1+ but most of them have struggled apart from KT Kim who is -2.

Also got Yang at 66/1, Garcia at 60/1 and Poulter at 60/1 so looking not bad so far.

Asian Outsiders sound like a funky techno group. :thumbsup:

Carl Spackler

Mcllroy 250 yds with an iron (looked like a 3 iron). Most amateurs would be delighted hitting a full on drive that distance. Outstanding.

I P Knightley

Rory is seven shots clear after 8 holes. It's going to have to be an epic collapse on Sunday for him.

Rory is seven shots clear after 8 holes. It's going to have to be an epic collapse on Sunday for him.

Great to see the young lad bouncing back so well from his Masters disaster. (even though he cost me a fortune in winnings that day :( )

Well played young fella. :thumbsup:

he's awesome, isn't he?

it's far too early to say it would take an epic collapse though. it's not even half-way yet. there will be many ebbs and flows before the final round starts.

i don't particularly like the lad but he is awesome. he could conceivably extend this lead to 'tiger proportions'. he might have to... as he has some demons.

I P Knightley

he's awesome, isn't he?

it's far too early to say it would take an epic collapse though. it's not even half-way yet. there will be many ebbs and flows before the final round starts.

i don't particularly like the lad but he is awesome. he could conceivably extend this lead to 'tiger proportions'. he might have to... as he has some demons.

I really thought that JKB had banished this sectarian nonsense when Raffles the Gentleman Thug and his sidekicks were banned.

My comment about an "epic collapse" was just a sly dig at his rounds of 80 at St Andrew's and Augusta. I'm not sure whether you'd call it "demons" or just the simple fact that he got on the (about) 10th tee at Augusta; realised what he was on the verge of, and promptly pappered his kex. I do much the same if I hit two decent shots in a row. One thing for sure, if he gets to the tee on Sunday with a lead of any size, it will then tell us an awful lot about whether he can become the real deal. The eyes of the sporting world would be trained on him like almost no other player before.

I really thought that JKB had banished this sectarian nonsense when Raffles the Gentleman Thug and his sidekicks were banned.

My comment about an "epic collapse" was just a sly dig at his rounds of 80 at St Andrew's and Augusta. I'm not sure whether you'd call it "demons" or just the simple fact that he got on the (about) 10th tee at Augusta; realised what he was on the verge of, and promptly pappered his kex. I do much the same if I hit two decent shots in a row. One thing for sure, if he gets to the tee on Sunday with a lead of any size, it will then tell us an awful lot about whether he can become the real deal. The eyes of the sporting world would be trained on him like almost no other player before.

:Agree:

he's now so good that he will keep on giving himself superb chances of winning a major, until he actually wins one... or destroys himself into a trembling wreck. he's almost like greg norman, who manfully hammered at the door of winning a USA major many many times, and seemed to be cursed. the big difference being that norman had the consolation of winning a couple of opens.

for a fellow golfer's sake, and for a sportsman's destiny, i hope he does win one. i wouldn't like to see a player that good destroy himself.

I P Knightley

:Agree:

he's now so good that he will keep on giving himself superb chances of winning a major, until he actually wins one... or destroys himself into a trembling wreck. he's almost like greg norman, who manfully hammered at the door of winning a USA major many many times, and seemed to be cursed. the big difference being that norman had the consolation of winning a couple of opens.

for a fellow golfer's sake, and for a sportsman's destiny, i hope he does win one. i wouldn't like to see a player that good destroy himself.

What's it about him you don't like? I must admit, I don't pick up much of the golfers' personalities these days; they all appear pretty inoffensive, and largely bland, characters. Rory's not a ball of fire but neither is he a torn-faced hobo mup.

I read an article about great golfers and major winners which pointed out that, unlike tennis (for example) it was possible to be either/or; that not having a major on your CV does not mark you down as a second rate golfer. The article, being in the English press, was naturally talking about the current top 2 in the world ranking. It listed all the one-hit wonders who had picked up one of the four since Tiger started winning majors - it was quite a long list and would need Shaun-esque powers of googlism to recite it.

The point made in the article is that a major is 72 holes in 4 days against 155 other players. Any one of those 155 could have a freakish weekend. Whereas, in a tennis tourney (or the Champs' League) the best play the best only at the tail end of the tournament. The margins between number 1 and number 100 are, give or take, so small that (Tiger and, very possibly, Rory aside), winning a major isn't as huge an achievement, in terms of merit, as sitting nicely in the top 5 for a couple of years.

What's it about him you don't like? I must admit, I don't pick up much of the golfers' personalities these days; they all appear pretty inoffensive, and largely bland, characters. Rory's not a ball of fire but neither is he a torn-faced hobo mup.

I read an article about great golfers and major winners which pointed out that, unlike tennis (for example) it was possible to be either/or; that not having a major on your CV does not mark you down as a second rate golfer. The article, being in the English press, was naturally talking about the current top 2 in the world ranking. It listed all the one-hit wonders who had picked up one of the four since Tiger started winning majors - it was quite a long list and would need Shaun-esque powers of googlism to recite it.

The point made in the article is that a major is 72 holes in 4 days against 155 other players. Any one of those 155 could have a freakish weekend. Whereas, in a tennis tourney (or the Champs' League) the best play the best only at the tail end of the tournament. The margins between number 1 and number 100 are, give or take, so small that (Tiger and, very possibly, Rory aside), winning a major isn't as huge an achievement, in terms of merit, as sitting nicely in the top 5 for a couple of years.

i think he's been a cocky little shite in the past. he was a bit disrespectful of tiger a while back i seem to remember, and not regarding tiger's off-course shenanigans, more about him as a golfer. i distinctly remember thinking that what he said was priceless when you consider tiger's 14 majors versus bugger all. he isn't the only one of course because a few others were taking the odd pot-shot at him. i think someone with tiger's achievements should pretty much be untouchable in those terms... unless of course it's jack nicklaus or bobby jones taking the pot-shots.

i know exactly what you mean in your golf - tennis/football comparison, and it does have some merit. at the end of the day though, they all want to win a major first and foremost. some of them talk about the 'holy grail' of winning a second one, or a third one, in order to keep entering an ever-decreasing elite number of players who have done those things.

you can't win your second major until you've won your first.

chester copperpot

McIlroy's playing amazing, but we all saw his Masters collapse.

Hope it doesn't happen again.

What a player, and think if he can win this, he can win a fair few majors. Another collapse like Augusta and it could seriously hinder his major hunt in the future.

Who else is watching? Any tips? I have a tenner on mcilroy at 20s and 5 each way on stricker and McDowell! Anyone else got a punt on?

Right now it's entirely possible you'll win all three bets - good work.

If Rory is 18 shots clear going into the last round I think you'll win at least one!

chester copperpot

If Rory is 18 shots clear going into the last round I think you'll win at least one!

Wow, another excellent shot for Rory.

chester copperpot

Wow, another excellent shot for Rory.

Frigging heck.

He's playing oot his skin, again.

I P Knightley

you can't win your second major until you've won your first.

This raises a good point. There's very few that have won two or more majors; I'd rate them more highly than someone who's squeaked a fortnight at world number 1. But I really wouldn't say that (for want of a less memorable example) Zach-o the Wacko was a better golfer than Monty.

Frigging heck.

He's playing oot his skin, again.

Comment on the BBC text. If they applied the "within 10 shots" rule rather than the "60 players & ties", there would only be two players there for the weekend as it stands.

Absolutely stunning stuff.

Haha unbelievable viewing! I'll be happy with one bet I love mcilroy but he done me over in augusta so not counting chickens. I don't think he needs to attack the pins tomorrow and it should relax him!

chester copperpot

All was going well until Chester came on JKB and jinxed the poor wee fella!

Hahaha good, I don't have him in my US Open bet.

This raises a good point. There's very few that have won two or more majors; I'd rate them more highly than someone who's squeaked a fortnight at world number 1. But I really wouldn't say that (for want of a less memorable example) Zach-o the Wacko was a better golfer than Monty.

you do often hear talk from commentators and professionals about the importance of winning multiple majors. you only have to see the sheer size of the list of one-time major winners, and those with more. there's actually quite a list of two-time winners and it's noticeable that they are not all players who you would terms 'greats'.

the three-time winners include the likes of els, harrington and singh. certainly far more worthy of being included amongst the greats. above that you're looking at mickelson and then seve and faldo. then you really do get into the very very best.

you could probably see the same kind of pattern in the tennis slams.

McIlroys performances in the last 4 Majors is unbelievable for someone his age. 3rd place in both the open and PGA last year, leading the Masters for 3 and a half days, and now 8 shots clear in this one. Not ready to concede him winning this one just yet still work to be done, but when he does win his first I can only see him going on and winning a lot of majors.

I hate tournaments when one player runs away with it from the start, so hoping he has a bit of a slip up tomorrow before clinching it on the Sunday :thumbsup:

The Establishment

Proof some of these Yank golfers do have a personality. Bubba Watson is a character

McIlroys performances in the last 4 Majors is unbelievable for someone his age. 3rd place in both the open and PGA last year, leading the Masters for 3 and a half days, and now 8 shots clear in this one. Not ready to concede him winning this one just yet still work to be done, but when he does win his first I can only see him going on and winning a lot of majors.

I hate tournaments when one player runs away with it from the start, so hoping he has a bit of a slip up tomorrow before clinching it on the Sunday :thumbsup:

Feckin Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :lol:

Guess The Crowd

you do often hear talk from commentators and professionals about the importance of winning multiple majors. you only have to see the sheer size of the list of one-time major winners, and those with more. there's actually quite a list of two-time winners and it's noticeable that they are not all players who you would terms 'greats'.

the three-time winners include the likes of els, harrington and singh. certainly far more worthy of being included amongst the greats. above that you're looking at mickelson and then seve and faldo. then you really do get into the very very best.

you could probably see the same kind of pattern in the tennis slams.

Bit of trivia. Name the US golfer for whom 2 out of his 3 tournament victories were majors. An another for whom 3 out of his 10 victories were majors.

As unassailable as a 6 shot lead is, all it would take is for Rory to hit even hit just one or two over and a couple of players hit some good rounds and it'll be game on.

There has already been a 5 under shot so the birdies are there if someone finds form.

That said, if McIlroy keeps up his game then he'll be uncatchable. But even a slight dip could see the pack close in.

Bit of trivia. Name the US golfer for whom 2 out of his 3 tournament victories were majors. An another for whom 3 out of his 10 victories were majors.

the 2 from 3 is certainly andy north. 2 US opens.

the 3 from 10 i don't know. it depends on what you mean in the way of victories, US PGA tour wins or all wins. on that basis i will go for larry nelson.

As unassailable as a 6 shot lead is, all it would take is for Rory to hit even hit just one or two over and a couple of players hit some good rounds and it'll be game on.

There has already been a 5 under shot so the birdies are there if someone finds form.

That said, if McIlroy keeps up his game then he'll be uncatchable. But even a slight dip could see the pack close in.

greg norman might disagree. he had a 54 hole 6 shot lead over nick faldo in the masters and faldo went on to win by 5.

greg norman might disagree. he had a 54 hole 6 shot lead over nick faldo in the masters and faldo went on to win by 5.

I didn't even mean to write that.

:facepalm:

It was meant to read as "unassailable as a 6 shot lead might seem"

Oops!

I didn't even mean to write that.

:facepalm:

It was meant to read as "unassailable as a 6 shot lead might seem"

Oops!

i agree to an extent. a 6 shot lead would seem huge but maybe not with 36 holes to play on a super-tough US open course. if it was 18 holes then i would say it was more or less a cert. then again, it is mcilroy... :ninja:

Guess The Crowd

the 2 from 3 is certainly andy north. 2 US opens.

the 3 from 10 i don't know. it depends on what you mean in the way of victories, US PGA tour wins or all wins. on that basis i will go for larry nelson.

Yes, and yes. :thumbsup:

Yes, and yes. :thumbsup:

already knew the andy north one but i must cough to using wiki for the other one.

Guess The Crowd

already knew the andy north one but i must cough to using wiki for the other one.

:thumbsup: When I read your earlier post, I immediately thought of Larry Nelson, so I too went and googled him!

Archived