Zidane v Scholes

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Who is the best?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. Best midfielder of their generation?

Bert Le Clos

Not quite. if that is the case ALL these players are very different in their approachs. (and make no mistake I think Scholes was excellent at what he did) but Ramrod made reference to picking a 'select 11'. I'd need a different formation to accomodate my choices but its not quite as you make out. I wasn't making direct comparisons.

for me Boban is one of my all time favourites (not saying he is best) but I loved watching him play. Cracking player :thumbsup:

I just don't think you can compare midfielders with forwards. And no matter what formation you play Scholes was a midfielder and Zola a forward.

You're right about Seedorf and Boban. Both top quality centre mids. And Seedorf one of the few who's longevity matched Scholes' at the very, very top.

I also think looking at the list of awards that Scholes should have had a lot more.

Can't agree with you on Zola though. Loved watching him play and a top player but I think there were better forwards.

Other than when he came deep to win back the ball v England and proceeded to waltz through their team, you might have a point! :whistling:

one swallow doesnt make a summer........

to class diego as a central mid is like classing lionel messi as a central forward...................

anyone suggesting that the wee man plyed his trade as a central midfielder knows nothing of the player or indeed football persay..................... :whistling:

Robbo27_22

The poll result says it all. Silly question in the first place.

Scholes was great at what he did. Zidane was one of the worlds best ever players.

The Real Maroonblood

Paul scholes couldn't lace Zidanes boots,good player but not the same class as zz.

This poll is like asking who is the big team in Edinburgh.

ZIDANE OR scholes.

:lol:

one swallow doesnt make a summer........

to class diego as a central mid is like classing lionel messi as a central forward...................

anyone suggesting that the wee man plyed his trade as a central midfielder knows nothing of the player or indeed football persay..................... :whistling:

Well I always classed him more as an attacking midfield player who happened to play in the centre more than as a striker so I guess I know nothing of a player I've idolised since I was a wee boy or indeed football. John Robertson was a striker, Ally McCoist was a striker, Alan Shearer was a striker.

What a waste of 38 years!

Can't agree with you on Zola though. Loved watching him play and a top player but I think there were better forwards.

Hmm Zola is a funny one though. All this modern trequarista and 'in the hole' nonsense aside I'd describe him as an attacking midfielder. He wasn't an out and out forward. you are right though you can't compare as they played different roles none the less.

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

Ridiculous comparison, thats like comparing coke and pepsi, Scholes...fantastic yes. Zidane...world class.

One match doesn't equate to 10 league titles, 3 FA Cups and 2 Champions League winners medals :thumbsup:

Of course, my comment was tongue in cheek but a quick check on Wikipedia (how accurate it is, I've no idea) made for some interesting reading. For instance Gerrard has won the Football Writers and the PFA Player of the Year awards, in different years. Scholes has won neither. Gerrard has also won PFA fans Player of the year twice. Scholes EPL awards amount in total to four player of the month awards and three "appearances" in the PFA team of the year. Gerrard has five player of the month awards and seven PFA team of the year selections.

Scholes also only has one Champions League Winners medal as he was suspended for the 1999 final. You can't say for certain they would've won it had he played. It's an interesting debate but for me, football being a team game and all that, with ten better players around him there's a good chance Steven Gerrard may have achieved even more than Paul Scholes in a Man U team.

As I said at the start Scholes is undoubtedly an excellent player but this thread is just another over-hyping of a Man Utd player and to be fair the media are also enjoying their love in. Give me Gascoigne, Platt and Gerrard before him and that's just English midfielders in and around his generation, going further back there are a few who were better than Scholes (Hoddle, Robson, Wilkins etc).

Good luck to Scholes and I hope he ends up playing for another season or two with his boyhood heroes Oldham as I'm sure he said he'd like to do...

Bert Le Clos

Of course, my comment was tongue in cheek but a quick check on Wikipedia (how accurate it is, I've no idea) made for some interesting reading. For instance Gerrard has won the Football Writers and the PFA Player of the Year awards, in different years. Scholes has won neither. Gerrard has also won PFA fans Player of the year twice. Scholes EPL awards amount in total to four player of the month awards and three "appearances" in the PFA team of the year. Gerrard has five player of the month awards and seven PFA team of the year selections.

Scholes also only has one Champions League Winners medal as he was suspended for the 1999 final. You can't say for certain they would've won it had he played. It's an interesting debate but for me, football being a team game and all that, with ten better players around him there's a good chance Steven Gerrard may have achieved even more than Paul Scholes in a Man U team.

As I said at the start Scholes is undoubtedly an excellent player but this thread is just another over-hyping of a Man Utd player and to be fair the media are also enjoying their love in. Give me Gascoigne, Platt and Gerrard before him and that's just English midfielders in and around his generation, going further back there are a few who were better than Scholes (Hoddle, Robson, Wilkins etc).

Good luck to Scholes and I hope he ends up playing for another season or two with his boyhood heroes Oldham as I'm sure he said he'd like to do...

When I saw jayjay's list of personal awards I couldn't believe how few Scholes has won, and I think it's ridiculous. From about 1996-2004 I would have had Paul Scholes in my team of the year pretty much every season.

I debate if Gerrard would have achieved anymore at Man U than he did at Liverpool. Which isn't to take anything away from Gerrard, or Liverpool. He's a very good player and Liverpool have had some excellent sides in his time, and also some average ones which have still achieved a lot. But Liverpool is all about Steven Gerrard, which is why he stands out. Send him to more of a team side like Man U and I'm not sure he would. So much of Scholes game wasn't about the glamour, and yet he still has a better goalscoring ratio than Gerrard, despite not taking penalties.

I genuinely don't think it's overhyping him. I just don't think people realised how good Scholes was until it was too late, especially for England. Playing him on the left at Euro 2004 was an appalling decision. Scholes suffered in terms of personal awards because he played in a team full of stars; Cole, Giggs, Yorke, Beckham, van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Rooney........all players who took the headlines for various reasons. Yet Scholes still scored over 100 league gaols from midfield, and it's proven that Man U were a better side with than without him.

Well I always classed him more as an attacking midfield player who happened to play in the centre more than as a striker so I guess I know nothing of a player I've idolised since I was a wee boy or indeed football. John Robertson was a striker, Ally McCoist was a striker, Alan Shearer was a striker.

What a waste of 38 years!

you are 38 wow!

i had you down for a teenager :whistling:

you are 38 wow!

i had you down for a teenager :whistling:

Was your next retort going to be the old classic: when do the schools go back???

Surely with my superior knowledge of 80s/90s footballers you'd have guessed I was a 70s kid?

Archived