Zidane v Scholes

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Who is the best?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. Best midfielder of their generation?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Seeing as Scholes has now retired and there are always claims that he is the finest midfielder of his generation, I thought it would be good to look back on their careers and get a vote on who really was the best. For me, there is no doubt it is ZZ.

Paul Scholes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix92AUoPbJk&feature=related

What the pro's said

"One of the greatest football brains Manchester United has ever had." - Ferguson

"I tell anyone who asks me ? Scholes is the best English player."

- Laurent Blanc

"My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder. Scholes is undoubtedly the greatest midfielder of his generation."

- Zidane

"To me Paul is a role model. He is the best midfielder I?ve seen in the last 15 or 20 years." - Xavi

Honours

club

Manchester United

Premier League (10): 1995?96, 1996?97, 1998?99, 1999?2000, 2000?01, 2002?03, 2006?07, 2007?08, 2008?09, 2010?11

FA Cup (3): 1995?96, 1998?99, 2003?04

Football League Cup (2): 2008?09, 2009?10

FA Community Shield (5): 1996, 1997, 2003, 2008, 2010

UEFA Champions League (2): 1998?99, 2007?08

Intercontinental Cup (1): 1999

FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008

International

England U18

UEFA European Under-18 Football Championship: 1993

England

1997 Tournoi de France

Individual

Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year (1): 1992?93

Premier League Player of the Month (4): January 2003, December 2003, October 2006, August 2010

PFA Team of the Year (3): 2000?01, 2002?03, 2006?07

Premier League 10 Seasons Awards (1992?93 to 2001?02): Domestic & Overall Team of the Decade

English Football Hall of Fame Inductee: 2008

Zidane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crDzasp1-60

What the pro's said

Zidane was the magician in the game

- Pele

He dominates the ball, he is a walking spectacle and he plays as if he had silk gloves in each foot - Di Stefano

Technically, I think he is the king of what's fundamental in the game ? control and passing. I don't think anyone can match him when it comes to controlling or receiving the ball.

- Platini

Zidane is one of the greatest players in history, a truly magnificent player.

- Beckenbauer

Honours

Club

Girondins Bordeaux

UEFA Intertoto Cup:

Winner: 1995

UEFA Cup:

Runner-up: 1995?96

Juventus

Serie A:

Winner: 1996?97, 1997?98

Runner-up: 1999?00, 2000?01

Supercoppa Italiana:

Winner: 1997

Runner-up: 1998

UEFA Champions League:

Runner-up: 1996?97, 1997?98

UEFA Super Cup:

Winner: 1996

Intercontinental Cup:

UEFA Intertoto Cup:

Winner: 1999

Real Madrid

La Liga:

Winner: 2002?03

Runner-up: 2004?05, 2005?06

Supercopa de Espa?a:

Winner: 2001, 2003

Copa del Rey:

Runner-up: 2001?02, 2003?04

UEFA Champions League:

Winner: 2001?02

UEFA Super Cup:

Winner: 2002

Intercontinental Cup:

Country

France

FIFA World Cup:

Winner: 1998

Runner-up: 2006

UEFA European Football Championship:

Winner: 2000

Individual

Ballon d'Or awarded to Zidane in 1998

Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year ? 1994

Ligue 1 Player of the Year ? 1996

Serie A Foreign Footballer of the Year ? 1997, 2001

UEFA Club Midfielder of the Year ? 1998

FIFA World Cup Final Man of the Match ? 1998

World Soccer Awards Player of the Year ? 1998

Ballon D'or ? 1998

L'?quipe Champion of Champions ? 1998

French Player of the Year ? 1998, 2002

Onze d'Or ? 1998, 2000, 2001

FIFA World Player of the Year ? 1998, 2000, 2003

FIFA World Cup All-Star Team ? 1998, 2006

ESM Season XI: 1997?98, 2001?02, 2002?03, 2003?04

World Soccer 100 Greatest Players of the 20th Century ? 1999

UEFA Euro Player of the Tournament ? 2000

UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament ? 2000, 2004

Serie A Footballer of the Year ? 2001

UEFA Team of the Year ? 2001, 2002, 2003

UEFA Champions League Final Man of the Match ? 2002

La Liga Best Foreign Player ? 2002

UEFA Club Footballer of the Year ? 2002

FIFA World Cup Dream Team ? 2002

FIFA 100 Greatest Living Footballers ? 2004

UEFA Best European Player of the Past 50 Years ? 2004

FIFPro World XI All-Star Team ? 2005, 2006

IFFHS World's Best Playmaker ? 2006

FIFA World Cup Golden Ball ? 2006

UNFP Honorary Award ? 2007

Marca Leyenda Award ? 2008

Laureus Lifetime Achievement Award ? 2011

Zidane.

But I don't see why it matters, both were wonderful at what they did :unsure:

Buffalo Bill

Without doubt Zidane, although Scholes was a great player too.

Not even a question, Zidane by a country mile, but credit where its due PS was a very good player

rossthejambo

Definitely Zidane, Scholes was very good but Zidane was on another level.

Vlad-Stupid

someone vote scholes please, i feel sorry for him

Not sorry enough to vote for hm yourself?!

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that in a starting XI of 'best players of that generation', both would be included.

Gregory House M.D.

"cleverly leaving out zidanes comment even though he's the only one saying it" type post :thumbsup: Zidane was streets ahead of Scholesy by the way

Vlad-Stupid

"cleverly leaving out zidanes comment even though he's the only one saying it" type post :thumbsup: Zidane was streets ahead of Scholesy by the way

What comment has been left out?

Commander Harris

someone vote scholes please, i feel sorry for him

:thumbsup:

Scholes was a great player. Zizou was an exceptional player - one of the all-time greats.

PsychocAndy

Paul Scholes is one of the greatest players of his generation.

Zidane is one of the greatest players of all time.

I was behind the goal at Hampden when ZZ hit that volley. Best goal ive ever seen from the best player ive ever seen!

They were no bad. Might squeeze in just behind Colin Cameron in the pecking order for me

"paul scholes he scores goals"...................

along with zidane and platini the best central midfielders ever to have played the game :thumbsup:

along with zidane and platini the best central midfielders ever to have played the game :thumbsup:

Oh my!!...any chance that you may support the team from salford??:down:

Oh my!!...any chance that you may support the team from salford??:down:

nope, just hearts buti know my football and these 3 were exceptional especially zizu. xavi,iniesta would tell you scholes was truely world class,forget he was english or even a mhank,just an awesome talent........

Clarence Seedorf, Zvonimir Boban, Gianfranco Zola are just a few from Scholes generation I'd pick before him.

Clarence Seedorf, Zvonimir Boban, Gianfranco Zola are just a few from Scholes generation I'd pick before him.

haha that is feckin' brilliant, on that note i'm off, superb :woot: .................

haha that is feckin' brilliant, on that note i'm off, superb :woot: .................

I know eh! Thinking Scholes is the 'best ever' :rolleyes: you man ure fans are a barrel of laughs :teehee:

Whilst he was outstandingly brilliant at football this thread shows how, with a wee bit of propoganda even a player at the very top can be talked up even higher. Any coincidence that Keane and Ince fell out with Man U and are never lauded like this? Any coincidence that Scholes' possible role model, David Platt, who was arguably better, never played for Man Utd? Ince and Platt proved themselves in Italy too where Scholes' perceived inability to tackle would have had players taking liberties and he'd have been seeing red every second week.

As someone said, Scholes was a special player of his generation, he broke my heart at Hampden (then was virtually anonymous in the 2nd leg). Zizou was a special player of ALL generations.

Forgot to really stoke the flames by saying come back when you've inspired your team from 0-3 down in the Champions League Final...I don't support Liverpool or hold Stevie G in any particular affection either.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

This was always going to be a classic no contest.

But none of them were as good as Diego Maradona.......who is the greatest player to play the game.

Paul Scholes as good as he was, only ever played for Man U in a league they dominated for years, Zidane and Platini played in different countries and we're instrumental in winning trophies for their country.

Forgot to really stoke the flames by saying come back when you've inspired your team from 0-3 down in the Champions League Final...I don't support Liverpool or hold Stevie G in any particular affection either.

One match doesn't equate to 10 league titles, 3 FA Cups and 2 Champions League winners medals :thumbsup:

To watch them play together would have been amazing.

Zidane was pure poetry - a romantic vision of what makes football beautiful. I think he transcended the role of midfielder and therefore makes the comparison difficult, because I suspect Scholes was his equal in almost every department.

Surely you're on the wind up ?

But none of them were as good as Diego Maradona.......who is the greatest player to play the game.

Paul Scholes as good as he was, only ever played for Man U in a league they dominated for years, Zidane and Platini played in different countries and we're instrumental in winning trophies for their country.

diego played in the hole ala messi, not a central midfielder but wouldn't argue to much with the 2nd part of your opening statement though,although i would just favour zizu,if only cause thats the position i played most of my football and i biased, for no other reason.............

Scholes was a great player, one of the greatest midfielders ever but Zidane for me is in the top 5 greatest players of all time.

diego played in the hole ala messi, not a central midfielder but wouldn't argue to much with the 2nd part of your opening statement though,although i would just favour zizu,if only cause thats the position i played most of my football and i biased, for no other reason.............

Diego Maradona played central midfield and controlled every game from there, although he scored nearly 300 league goals and 30 odds for Argentina, I would still say he was a centre midfielder - had they invented the hole back then ?? :D . I'd say Messi is more of a wide man who drifts inside. Zidane is streets ahead of Scholes but IMO very few (maybe Pele but I didn't see him play) can get near to Maradona.

Napoleon  Wilson

Zidane overwhelmingly.

World cup and Euro's winners medals tip the balance

Diego Maradona played central midfield and controlled every game from there, although he scored nearly 300 league goals and 30 odds for Argentina, I would still say he was a centre midfielder - had they invented the hole back then ?? :D . I'd say Messi is more of a wide man who drifts inside. Zidane is streets ahead of Scholes but IMO very few (maybe Pele but I didn't see him play) can get near to Maradona.

dont think you'll ever find any footage of diego in his own half :woot: , so cant be classed as a central mid in the true sense of the meaning, although he was a master craftsman in every way and anyone putting him up for the best player ever to play the game would have a reasonable case imho :thumbsup:

Bert Le Clos

Pointless comparison. Different positions.

Like saying Craig Gordon was a better player than John Robertson. Your first two are decent shouts though.

Pointless comparison. Different positions.

Like saying Craig Gordon was a better player than John Robertson. Your first two are decent shouts though.

Not quite. if that is the case ALL these players are very different in their approachs. (and make no mistake I think Scholes was excellent at what he did) but Ramrod made reference to picking a 'select 11'. I'd need a different formation to accomodate my choices but its not quite as you make out. I wasn't making direct comparisons.

for me Boban is one of my all time favourites (not saying he is best) but I loved watching him play. Cracking player :thumbsup:

I'd disagree about Zola being better than Scholes.

More skillful, yes.

But better? Nah.

I'd disagree about Zola being better than Scholes.

More skillful, yes.

But better? Nah.

As Roamin' says. Thats where these things get silly. You can't make a direct comparison like that.

dont think you'll ever find any footage of diego in his own half :woot: , so cant be classed as a central mid in the true sense of the meaning, although he was a master craftsman in every way and anyone putting him up for the best player ever to play the game would have a reasonable case imho :thumbsup:

Other than when he came deep to win back the ball v England and proceeded to waltz through their team, you might have a point! :whistling:

Craig Herbertson

Paul Scholes is one of the greatest players of his generation.

Zidane is one of the greatest players of all time.

:thumbsup:

Seeing as Scholes has now retired and there are always claims that he is the finest midfielder of his generation, I thought it would be good to look back on their careers and get a vote on who really was the best. For me, there is no doubt it is ZZ.

Paul Scholes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix92AUoPbJk&feature=related

What the pro's said

"One of the greatest football brains Manchester United has ever had." - Ferguson

"I tell anyone who asks me ? Scholes is the best English player."

- Laurent Blanc

"My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder. Scholes is undoubtedly the greatest midfielder of his generation."

- Zidane

"To me Paul is a role model. He is the best midfielder I?ve seen in the last 15 or 20 years." - Xavi

Honours

club

Manchester United

Premier League (10): 1995?96, 1996?97, 1998?99, 1999?2000, 2000?01, 2002?03, 2006?07, 2007?08, 2008?09, 2010?11

FA Cup (3): 1995?96, 1998?99, 2003?04

Football League Cup (2): 2008?09, 2009?10

FA Community Shield (5): 1996, 1997, 2003, 2008, 2010

UEFA Champions League (2): 1998?99, 2007?08

Intercontinental Cup (1): 1999

FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008

International

England U18

UEFA European Under-18 Football Championship: 1993

England

1997 Tournoi de France

Individual

Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year (1): 1992?93

Premier League Player of the Month (4): January 2003, December 2003, October 2006, August 2010

PFA Team of the Year (3): 2000?01, 2002?03, 2006?07

Premier League 10 Seasons Awards (1992?93 to 2001?02): Domestic & Overall Team of the Decade

English Football Hall of Fame Inductee: 2008

Zidane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crDzasp1-60

What the pro's said

Zidane was the magician in the game

- Pele

He dominates the ball, he is a walking spectacle and he plays as if he had silk gloves in each foot - Di Stefano

Technically, I think he is the king of what's fundamental in the game ? control and passing. I don't think anyone can match him when it comes to controlling or receiving the ball.

- Platini

Zidane is one of the greatest players in history, a truly magnificent player.

- Beckenbauer

Honours

Club

Girondins Bordeaux

UEFA Intertoto Cup:

Winner: 1995

UEFA Cup:

Runner-up: 1995?96

Juventus

Serie A:

Winner: 1996?97, 1997?98

Runner-up: 1999?00, 2000?01

Supercoppa Italiana:

Winner: 1997

Runner-up: 1998

UEFA Champions League:

Runner-up: 1996?97, 1997?98

UEFA Super Cup:

Intercontinental Cup:

UEFA Intertoto Cup:

Winner: 1999

Real Madrid

La Liga:

Winner: 2002?03

Runner-up: 2004?05, 2005?06

Supercopa de Espa?a:

Winner: 2001, 2003

Copa del Rey:

Runner-up: 2001?02, 2003?04

UEFA Champions League:

Winner: 2001?02

UEFA Super Cup:

Intercontinental Cup:

Country

France

FIFA World Cup:

Winner: 1998

Runner-up: 2006

UEFA European Football Championship:

Winner: 2000

Individual

Ballon d'Or awarded to Zidane in 1998

Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year ? 1994

Ligue 1 Player of the Year ? 1996

Serie A Foreign Footballer of the Year ? 1997, 2001

UEFA Club Midfielder of the Year ? 1998

FIFA World Cup Final Man of the Match ? 1998

World Soccer Awards Player of the Year ? 1998

Ballon D'or ? 1998

L'?quipe Champion of Champions ? 1998

French Player of the Year ? 1998, 2002

Onze d'Or ? 1998, 2000, 2001

FIFA World Player of the Year ? 1998, 2000, 2003

FIFA World Cup All-Star Team ? 1998, 2006

ESM Season XI: 1997?98, 2001?02, 2002?03, 2003?04

World Soccer 100 Greatest Players of the 20th Century ? 1999

UEFA Euro Player of the Tournament ? 2000

UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament ? 2000, 2004

Serie A Footballer of the Year ? 2001

UEFA Team of the Year ? 2001, 2002, 2003

UEFA Champions League Final Man of the Match ? 2002

La Liga Best Foreign Player ? 2002

UEFA Club Footballer of the Year ? 2002

FIFA World Cup Dream Team ? 2002

FIFA 100 Greatest Living Footballers ? 2004

UEFA Best European Player of the Past 50 Years ? 2004

FIFPro World XI All-Star Team ? 2005, 2006

IFFHS World's Best Playmaker ? 2006

FIFA World Cup Golden Ball ? 2006

UNFP Honorary Award ? 2007

Marca Leyenda Award ? 2008

Laureus Lifetime Achievement Award ? 2011

The list that you have after each player really should answer that question quite easily. Zidane is quite simply the best player ive seen live! I was at hampden for the european cup final against leverkusen and the man is just a genius!

Scholes however was a wonderful wonderful player and i dont think Man United will ever trully replace him!

Archived