The BBC, licence fee and blatant advertising

Gershwin

Ok it's been going on for years but the BBC have really started to take the **** recently.

How come they are allowed to advertise all the time? We always get ads between shows about all BBC3, iPLAYER, Radio2 etc. Is this what the licence fee is spent on, self promotion? And what did I see yesterday....an ad for Eastenders on the side of a bus. **** off.

They also let Robinson's sponsor the Sports Personality of the Year. And waste money on buying imports from America.

If they want to become a commercial station, fair enough, but stop fleecing me of 100 sheets for the privilege.

:mad:

davemclaren
Ok it's been going on for years but the BBC have really started to take the **** recently.

How come they are allowed to advertise all the time? We always get ads between shows about all BBC3, iPLAYER, Radio2 etc. Is this what the licence fee is spent on, self promotion? And what did I see yesterday....an ad for Eastenders on the side of a bus. **** off.

They also let Robinson's sponsor the Sports Personality of the Year. And waste money on buying imports from America.

If they want to become a commercial station, fair enough, but stop fleecing me of 100 sheets for the privilege.

Under ?2 a week is cheap for what you get imo.

Apparently most of the liscence fee is used on developing the bbc website and online products. Which i think is totally wrong as these are available to people in all parts of the world.

davemclaren
Apparently most of the liscence fee is used on developing the bbc website and online products. Which i think is totally wrong as these are available to people in all parts of the world.

Any evidence to support that?

They are not allowed to generate income through selling advertising slots to outside companies. There is no problem with them advertising themselves.

They are not allowed to generate income through selling advertising slots to outside companies. There is no problem with them advertising themselves.

Sports Personality of the Year?

I think the majority of licence fee money goes to pay for the running of most of the BBC digital platform, the likes of BBC3, and all the radio stations.

What gets me is the BBC say our money goes to make the programs yet if you want something like The Blue Planet you have to buy the DVD. Why don't we all get a free copy seeing our money went into the making of it??? :rolleyes:

PsychocAndy

Dinnae get me started on they plums. All that cash on advertisement and cars going round in circles but nothing for Scottish Football.

Aye my money well spent. Fuds

If you don't pay it they can do the square root of diddly squat to get the money off you. Just advise them you don't have a TV and refuse to let them in the house.

Dinnae get me started on they plums. All that cash on advertisement and cars going round in circles but nothing for Scottish Football.

Aye my money well spent. Fuds

Not strictly true given that their is now a highlights programme on BBC for SPL football.

If i was to take the BBC, especially BBC Scotland, to task over anything it would be (in no particular order)

River City - Why?

Chic Young - Why?

Reporting Scotland - Awful. Could do so much better.

Overall though the BBC is a good thing I think.

Say What Again
It's the BBC Sports Personality of the Year so it's their show...

Wasn't Gershwin referring to?:

They also let Robinson's sponsor the Sports Personality of the Year

They are not allowed to generate income through selling advertising slots to outside companies[/b']. There is no problem with them advertising themselves.

Sports Personality of the Year?

Wasn't Gershwin referring to?:

:confused:

I now see why reading is such an art form...:o

I blame the clocks going forward. Up at 7am when it was really 6am and I'm chuffing knackered now!:P

Legend Claws

On a different note I cannot watch the programs/highlights etc they provide online due to the fact I am abroad! I hate they way they tease me...

funny story...

A few years ago i got caught without a licence well being young and silly..anyhoo got a ?25 fine but it was in my husband's name and he was p*ssed at getting the fine and thought it would be smart to pay a fiver a fortnight.paid it and thought no more about it until months later when the police turned up saying my husband had still got fiver to pay,showed him the paper work,talk about feeling very silly...

He had to go down to the police staiton and pay the fiver,the police were taking bets on if he would turn up or not...

we both felt really ashamed of ourself wasting police time like that....

Always had a licence since then Oh the shame lol

To be fair the BBC cater for many people. TV, many radio stations and probably one of the best websites. I don't see anything wrong with promoting their own TV shows or other channels.

However they do generate money from advertising. Go to BBC canada website for example and you will see adverts on that website. Not really sure how it is allowed.

What I do resent the BBC doing is making programmes like the one looking for people to star in West End musicals such as Joseph, Sound of Music, Oliver! etc

I completely agree with Kevin Spacey on this one.

Why should these shows effectively get free advertising from the BBC?

Not to mention that these shows are hibs anyway...(imho of course!)

i can't remember the details but they've recently been investigated/are being investigated by ofcom regarding these "adverts". they apparently receive money in sponsorship for some of the things they advertise.

i hope they get nailed

Not true.

I can't get most of the video from the states.

PsychocAndy
Not strictly true given that their is now a highlights programme on BBC for SPL football.

If i was to take the BBC, especially BBC Scotland, to task over anything it would be (in no particular order)

River City - Why?

Chic Young - Why?

Reporting Scotland - Awful. Could do so much better.

Overall though the BBC is a good thing I think.

Aye but when by the time thats on, tell you the truth I don't know when it's on, I've already watched the highlights on the amateurish Midnight Goals or the SPL round up on Setanta. Did you see the lassie leaving in the background on Saturdays one.

BBC's crap. Was only good for Neighbours and now that's gone to Five :D

They want inflation busting increases in the licence fee but **** it up against the wall in needless expenses and waste, then instead of just shelving BBC4 (really does anyone watch it?) they cut massive amounts of jobs and ask for more money.

Licence fee should be abolished and they should go commercial, with TiVo systems and the like you can skip adverts so nobody will notice anyway.

The channel Dave is pretty much the beed with adverts.... might as well call them BBC5 or whatever. Im not that fussy but ill add that too the debate.

Archived