Chic Murray and Hearts

Hawick Jambo

Teuchterjambo

Another classic heard at the old theatre (think it was the Palladium just beyond where the Point Hotel is now).

"This is a wee request for a Happy Wedding Anniversary to Mrs Butter who is in the audience tonight - it's from her husband Roland."

"So it's best wishes to Mr and Mrs Roland Butter !!!!!!!!!!!"

Absolutely shocking but the deadpan delivery turned it into a moment of brilliant comedy.

:rolleyes:

Rabbie_Burns

I agree with Colin

My better half is from deepest darkest Ayrshire and despite flirting briefly with Ayr United is as fervent a Jambo as anyone from Edinburgh

That description of your other half just about describes me perfectly too funnily enough... :thumbsup:

The hotel he owned was called "Chick Murray's" funnily enough (not sure if that was the name outside though). It was between the Links Hotel and the Bruntsfield Hotel but slightly to the south. I used to go in there on a Sunday - when pubs were not allowed to open - in the 1970s.

Never saw him in the hotel.

I think he did appear once on the quiz programme - but I think Gordon Jackson (actor) was often the guest. Donald Ford was very good as was Alan Anderson - and I think Crooky answered the questions on race horses!!

Spent a few sunday nights in there too back then. Didnt see him either .

I used to go in there as well The Golf and The Iona were also Sunday evenings.

This is my vintage too. I was a regular at all those places, including the Leamington which was a Jambo stronghold.

I did see him in the bar from time to time although I don't think I ever spoke to him.

My Mum and Dad were friendly with his wife Maidie (not sure of the spelling), who was in there a lot more than Chic. They had a son around my age but I never really got to know him.

They had an exotic bird at the bar, cockateel or something, and one night Chic had a group of tourists in stiches at his banter with the bird. I was just too far away to hear what he was saying.

My favourite comedian of all time.

John Gentleman

"Ah had just taken two steps out of the pub last night and suddenly the pavement rose up and smacked me on the face".

"Ah wis just out taking a wee walk the other night. I knew I was taking a walk because the lampposts kept passing me by".

As others have said, it was Chic's deadpan delivery which was the brillant bit.

Buffalo Bill

One other memory of Chic that still makes the toes curl a bit. One year BBC Scotland packed Chic and the likes of Moira Anderson and Kenneth McKellar off to somewhere like Gleneagles for a live Hogmanay show, but unfortunately omitted to provide any script, running order or rehearsal. By the standards even of BBC Scotland it turned out to be the biggest shambles in the history of TV light entertainment, from which Chic's TV career possibly never fully recovered.

That's right, it was called 'Live into '85'.

The entire thing was a disaster, I think maybe Paul Cioa presented too. Chick could be seen slagging off the programme to the audience - live on air!

I met this chap at the Olympics. I said to him, "Excuse me but are you a pole vaulter?", he replied,"No, I'm German, but how did you know my name was Walter."

I won't say I was slow developer, but our teacher was quite pleased to have someone her own age in the class to talk to.

Kippers- fish that like a lot of sleep.

The boat was so old; it must have been launched when Long John Silver had two legs and an egg on his shoulder.

Archived