Chic Murray and Hearts

Hawick Jambo

Hawick Jambo

Just reading a marvellous bio of my favourite comedian - Chic Murray.

It mentions him going to Tynecastle to see Hearts against Falkirk. Unfortunately he was due to be in Birmingham at the time and the tannoy announcer had to announce to him that a taxi was waiting to take him to the airport

I seem to recall in the past lots of discussion about famous fans, but does anyone know if Chic was definitely a Jambo ?

Born in Greenock so may have had leanings towards Morton but did appear as the Hearts 'guest' on Quizball in the sixties. He owned the Bruntsfield Hotel at that time. Hearts usually did well in this TV quiz largely because of Donald Ford's contribution, though I remember Alan Anderson was pretty good too. I think the format was two players plus guest supporter played on a knockout basis. The golfer Eric Brown from Bathgate also guested in one series and he definitely was a Hearts supporter.

forthriverjambo

It mentions him going to Tynecastle to see Hearts against Falkirk. Unfortunately he was due to be in Birmingham at the time and the tannoy announcer had to announce to him that a taxi was waiting to take him to the airport

I seem to recall in the past lots of discussion about famous fans, but does anyone know if Chic was definitely a Jambo ?

i know for a fact that he was originally from glasgow so very much doubt he was a jambo, probably had more leanings to one of the ugly sisters.

Born in Greenock so may have had leanings towards Morton but did appear as the Hearts 'guest' on Quizball in the sixties. He owned the Bruntsfield Hotel at that time. Hearts usually did well in this TV quiz largely because of Donald Ford's contribution, though I remember Alan Anderson was pretty good too. I think the format was two players plus guest supporter played on a knockout basis. The golfer Eric Brown from Bathgate also guested in one series and he definitely was a Hearts supporter.

Don't think he owned the Bruntsfield Hotel, it was a Hotel across the street near Bruntsfield Hospital he had much smaller than the Bruntsfield, although it did have a bar.

Seymour M Hersh

Don't think he owned the Bruntsfield Hotel, it was a Hotel across the street near Bruntsfield Hospital he had much smaller than the Bruntsfield, although it did have a bar.

He owned the Links Hotel iirc.

J.T.F.Robertson

His daughter was in my class at Primary, Annabelle, I think it was. She probably still dwells on what might have been. :rolleyes:

lost in space

The hotel he owned was called "Chick Murray's" funnily enough (not sure if that was the name outside though). It was between the Links Hotel and the Bruntsfield Hotel but slightly to the south. I used to go in there on a Sunday - when pubs were not allowed to open - in the 1970s.

Never saw him in the hotel.

I think he did appear once on the quiz programme - but I think Gordon Jackson (actor) was often the guest. Donald Ford was very good as was Alan Anderson - and I think Crooky answered the questions on race horses!!

jambos are go!

chatted to him once in the old Empress Fish Restaurant in Wheatfield were he was mates with the owner Mario( a Hearts fan) He came across as a nice bloke who talked in the same droll manner he used on stage. My recollection was that he whilst not a regular he was certainly Hearts minded and had a friendly rivalry with a fervent Hibs comedian called Johnny Victory - I think

J.T.F.Robertson

chatted to him once in the old Empress Fish Restaurant in Wheatfield were he was mates with the owner Mario( a Hearts fan) He came across as a nice bloke who talked in the same droll manner he used on stage. My recollection was that he whilst not a regular he was certainly Hearts minded and had a friendly rivalry with a fervent Hibs comedian called Johnny Victory - I think

Contradictory content. :ermm:

marshallschunkychicken

He used to stay in one of the cottages down Spylaw Street in Colinton so I'm told. I would have been only about six at the time, so wouldn't have known him to recognise him.

Clerry Jambo

http://www.btinternet.com/~m.d.pratesi/mp/quizball1969.html

Had a good old drunken conversation with him in the "Bruntsfield" years ago and he was certainly a Hearts man at that time. A gem of a man.

jambos are go!

He owned the Links Hotel iirc.

I agree. The Bruntsfield Links Hotel IIRC.

jambovambo

No, it was called chic Murray's at one time and is now a youth hostel

jambovambo

Quizmaster: who is George Mackay Brown

Buzz

Jim Cruikshank: racing correspondent with the Daily Record ?

True

Francis Albert

Quizmaster: who is George Mackay Brown

Buzz

Jim Cruikshank: racing correspondent with the Daily Record ?

True

Strangely I remember another one.

Quizmaster: Who is Gary Owens?

Willie Wallace (by then Celtic): A racing tipster.

(Correct answer was announcer on Rowan and Martin's Laugh In).

If it's the same book I've read (The Chic Murray Story by Andrew Yule), it also mentions an Old Firm game at Ibrox which Chic attended in the company of Willie Woodburn and Sean Connery.

"Chic had never met Connery - who turned out to be an admirer - and their conversation before the game centred not on football but on their other common interest - James Bond movies. Chic and Willie were busy cheering for Rangers, and cockahoop when they won handsomely."

There is also mention of him attending a Rangers Testimonial Dinner ...

Rangers supporter with Hearts sympathies, I think !

mickmaroon

I think he did appear once on the quiz programme - but I think Gordon Jackson (actor) was often the guest. Donald Ford was very good as was Alan Anderson - and I think Crooky answered the questions on race horses!!

Was Gordon Jackson a Jam Tart? That I did not know ...

Buffalo Bill

It's good to see that you all agree on the name of the hotel!

'He sat next to me. In very close proximity, even though there was ample room in the waiting room. I remember thinking, "if he comes out with a bag of toffees, I'm out of here. He started talking to me about this and that, of which I know very little. He said, "what do you think of this?" I said, "oh, I don't think much of that."'

I love Chic Murray. Sadly too young to remember him at the time so have to go on the scant recordings and videos of him - I do sadly know most of what I've seen almost off-by-heart!!

Can't believe he was a Jambo!! Even if he might not have, he was now!!!

My sig below is just pure Murray genius!!

jambovambo

Strangely I remember another one.

Quizmaster: Who is Gary Owens?

Willie Wallace (by then Celtic): A racing tipster.

(Correct answer was announcer on Rowan and Martin's Laugh In).

Ok, one more ...

Quizmaster: What is Vesuvius?

Buzz

John Greig: an ice cream?

'He sat next to me. In very close proximity, even though there was ample room in the waiting room. I remember thinking, "if he comes out with a bag of toffees, I'm out of here. He started talking to me about this and that, of which I know very little. He said, "what do you think of this?" I said, "oh, I don't think much of that."'

I love Chic Murray. Sadly too young to remember him at the time so have to go on the scant recordings and videos of him - I do sadly know most of what I've seen almost off-by-heart!!

Can't believe he was a Jambo!! Even if he might not have, he was now!!!

My sig below is just pure Murray genius!!

One of my favourites is when Chic said he was walking along the road and someone stopped their car and said "can I give you a lift" to which Chic replied no thanks I live in a bungalow (presumably before they all added rooms in the attic.

Hawick Jambo

I adore the cameo appearance he makes in Gregory's Girl.

He doesn't do much at all but if ever a man was made for comedy

Like others have said, he may have been a Rangers/Morton etc supporter but he did attend Tynecastle. That to me makes him a Jambo

ernie winchester

It's good to see that you all agree on the name of the hotel!

It was the Nova, as somebody else mentioned.

Fort Vallance

My personal favourite.

I walked up the path of this little bed and breakfast and knocked on the door.

The lady of the house opened an upstairs window and asked me what I wanted.

"I'd like to stay here" I replied

"That's fine stay there as long as you like" and closed the window.

colinmaroon

i know for a fact that he was originally from glasgow so very much doubt he was a jambo, probably had more leanings to one of the ugly sisters.

That does not compute!

I'm originally from Glasgow, still live in Weegieland, and have been a Jambo since I was able to understand what football was - almost 60 years of my 64!

Hawick Jambo

I agree with Colin

My better half is from deepest darkest Ayrshire and despite flirting briefly with Ayr United is as fervent a Jambo as anyone from Edinburgh

My personal favourite.

I walked up the path of this little bed and breakfast and knocked on the door.

The lady of the house opened an upstairs window and asked me what I wanted.

"I'd like to stay here" I replied

"That's fine stay there as long as you like" and closed the window.

I think this was my favourite.

Chic had gone to the doctor who diagnosed a very rare illness that could only be cured if the patient drank a quantity of fresh mother?s milk. When he got home he asked his mother but she told him not to be daft.

However the girl upstairs had just given birth to a wee boy and his mother told him that as her husband was away at sea at the moment he could to go up and ask her nicely and see if she would give him some.

The girl was just about to go to bed when he arrived but agreed to his request and with a mischievous smile, invited Chic through to her boudoir.

She told him that he couldn?t get it any fresher as she presented her left breast to his lips. He felt a bit awkward but after all he was only following doctor?s orders. Persevering with his medication, he was unaware of the soft moans emitting from his benefactor.

She gently pulled his head away from her breast and looked at him and murmured, ?Is there anything else I could offer you.? Overwhelmed by her generosity he wiped his lips and shyly said, ?Well a wee Abernathy biscuit would be very nice.?

colinmaroon

I was driving down to Greenock one day, and I looked across the Clyde and saw Dumbarton rock!

"Funny," I thought, "I've never seen Dumbarton rock before!"

Another of the same ilk,

My pal told me to look across the river and I would see dumbarton Rock.

I watched it for ages and it never moved"

I was sailing to Rothesay one day, and the boat was so old it must have been built when Long John Silver had two legs and an egg on his shoulder!

lost in space

My favourite of Chic's throw away comments - "I went to this B&B. The lady of the house opened the door in her nightdress ........... I thought, thats a funny place to have a door".

My favourite of Chic's throw away comments - "I went to this B&B. The lady of the house opened the door in her nightdress ........... I thought, thats a funny place to have a door".

Maybe it was a pussy flap! :thumbsup:

Like others have said, he may have been a Rangers/Morton etc supporter but he did attend Tynecastle. That to me makes him a Jambo

Just to shed a little more light on the Hearts v Falkirk game which Chic attended ... he was at the game with Willie Woodburn who I assume is the same Willie Woodburn who played for Rangers in the forties and fifties. Although Woodburn was an Ibrox stalwart, he was a Hearts supporter originally and I think Chic would have been at the game accompanying him rather than due to any real affection for Hearts. Having said that, he would certainly have been cheering us on !

The Willie Woodburn story is interesting ... he was banned for life by the SFA following a series of on field 'incidents' and despite many years of service, Rangers never stood by their man and effectively hung him out to dry following the ruling and he never played again.

Another favourite is when he was standing in along queue at glasgow airport with his wife waiting to check in for his flight, he turns to his wife and says

"It's times like this I wish i had brought the piano with me"

His wife says "Why's that"

Chic says " Cos that's where I've left the tickets and the passports"

Lady walks in to the butcher's and says " IS that your Ayrshire bacon?" No replies the butcher, Im just heating my bum at the fire."

asomerville

The hotel he owned was called "Chick Murray's" funnily enough (not sure if that was the name outside though). It was between the Links Hotel and the Bruntsfield Hotel but slightly to the south. I used to go in there on a Sunday - when pubs were not allowed to open - in the 1970s.

Never saw him in the hotel.

I used to go in there as well The Golf and The Iona were also Sunday evenings.

Goldstone Wonder

Another favourite is when he was standing in along queue at glasgow airport with his wife waiting to check in for his flight, he turns to his wife and says

"It's times like this I wish i had brought the piano with me"

His wife says "Why's that"

Chic says " Cos that's where I've left the tickets and the passports"

some great gags on this thread, but this is my personal favourite!

Francis Albert

One other memory of Chic that still makes the toes curl a bit. One year BBC Scotland packed Chic and the likes of Moira Anderson and Kenneth McKellar off to somewhere like Gleneagles for a live Hogmanay show, but unfortunately omitted to provide any script, running order or rehearsal. By the standards even of BBC Scotland it turned out to be the biggest shambles in the history of TV light entertainment, from which Chic's TV career possibly never fully recovered.

jambos are go!

One other memory of Chic that still makes the toes curl a bit. One year BBC Scotland packed Chic and the likes of Moira Anderson and Kenneth McKellar off to somewhere like Gleneagles for a live Hogmanay show, but unfortunately omitted to provide any script, running order or rehearsal. By the standards even of BBC Scotland it turned out to be the biggest shambles in the history of TV light entertainment, from which Chic's TV career possibly never fully recovered.

IIRC it was John Grieve who made a total fool of himself by totally forgetting the lnes of a poem he was reciting and it is that moment that is oft repeated on TV Nighmare programmes. Chic may also have been on though.

" Did you fall?"

"No, I was just trying to break the bar of chocolate in my back pocket!"

"...so I went down the stairs which lead down to the street. They lead all the way back up too. Saved them building two staircases, you see."

"And the doctor said to me,"strip". I said, "but where should I put my clothes?" He said, "Ontop of mine will do fine."

So I said to the butcher, can I have a sheep's heid and leave the eyes in please. "Why" said the butcher.

So it can see me through the week

The police stopped me when I was out in my car. They told me it was a spot check. I admitted to two pimples and a boil.

• 2 weeks later...
AllyjamboDerbyshire

A man walked into a butchers and said,'Give me a sheeps heid, and leave the eyes in it,

it's got to see me through the week.'

Just shows what a great comic he was, he got howls of laughter, even with a joke like that. A true master of comedy timing.

Drank in his hotel a few times, but like everybody else just knew it as 'Chick Murray's'. And like most people never noticed the real name of the hotel.

A man walked into a bar, said 'ouch'. It was an iron bar.

Was the name of his hotel/bar , called the Hawaian Bar up at the links ?? was in there a few times, great place.

Archived