Interesting quote from McGhee

vegas-voss

There has been no direct contact between myself and Hearts and none between them and Motherwell.Unless the directors at Motherwell aren't saying anything this is a rumour.It's flattering to be linked with a job like that but im commited to Motherwell.Nothing else is an issue because i don't have one solid offer from another side on the table.Of course that could change.I have a year left on my contract but how much do contracts really mean in this day and age.

Sounds like a come and get me statement to me.

Gimme an H...
There has been no direct contact between myself and Hearts and none between them and Motherwell.Unless the directors at Motherwell aren't saying anything this is a rumour.It's flattering to be linked with a job like that but im commited to Motherwell.Nothing else is an issue because i don't have one solid offer from another side on the table.Of course that could change.I have a year left on my contract but how much do contracts really mean in this day and age.

Or a 'you've already got me' statement........

Or a 'you've already got me' statement........

It certainly only adds fire to the rumours.

Gimme an H...
It certainly only adds fire to the rumours.

Well here's hoping cos its clear that Frail doesnt get the respect that a manager should get and his tactics and substitutions are woeful and embarassing at times.

It seems pretty certain he is for the off in the Summer.

It could be Hearts or this could just be talk aimed at promoting further offers.

I would take the "direct contact" wording as the main point myself.

It's how managers and players hide behind words when their agents are having meetings.

MacDonald Jardine
There has been no direct contact between myself and Hearts and none between them and Motherwell.Unless the directors at Motherwell aren't saying anything this is a rumour.It's flattering to be linked with a job like that but im commited to Motherwell.Nothing else is an issue because i don't have one solid offer from another side on the table.Of course that could change.I have a year left on my contract b[B]ut how much do contracts really mean in this day and age.[/b]

They never meant much to McGhee.

According to a Motherwell player he is definitely leaving in the summer, but said player is more to the thinking that he may return south but would not rule out a move to Hearts.

does anybody else think he might get or be waiting for the celtic job

He might be waiting but he won't get it. Not a big enough name IMO.

Ibrahim Tall

Think he's delusional if he's waiting on the Celtic job tbh, can't see them appointing a manager who's won **** all significant in his career and had about one good season in the last half a decade. The fan(nys) would be against him from the start.

Gigolo-Aunt

If Celtic do win nothing this season (which looks likely), Strachan will not be sacked. His record since joining Celtic in the league has been very good. The only way a change will occur in the hot seat at Parkhead is if he walks. However, another trophyless season next term and the pressure will well and trully be on.

If Strachan does walk away, have a feeling that they may make an approach for Monkey Heid down at WBA.

Interesting that when interviewed after the game yesterday (about being in poll position for Europe) he said something along the lines of "of course the likes of Hearts,er I mean Dundee Utd, are still chasing 3rd..."

Seemed an odd slip to make. Maybe Hearts are on his mind.....

McGhee has had talks about the job. Don't know what he calls "direct contact" but no doubt he is well in the frame. Believe it or not.

It seems pretty certain he is for the off in the Summer.

It could be Hearts or this could just be talk aimed at promoting further offers.

I would agree djf.

I do not suspect to see McGhee at Tynecastle, I do think he has been contacted (no gen on that, purely a hunch) I think that he is merely using the possibility that he may come here as a bargaining tool with A.N.Other club.

coppercrutch

So he has had an offer....

But it was not a 'solid' one. Informal chat I imagine. Until it is down on paper it wouldn't be classed as 'solid'.

Or am I reading too much into that ? I just don't see why he would not just say 'offer'. Why the need to add the 'solid'......................;)

So he has had an offer....

But it was not a 'solid' one. Informal chat I imagine. Until it is down on paper it wouldn't be classed as 'solid'.

Or am I reading too much into that ? I just don't see why he would not just say 'offer'. Why the need to add the 'solid'......................;)

You are on the right track. "Discussions" have taken place. No offer made to date so far as I know.

coppercrutch
You are on the right track. "Discussions" have taken place. No offer made to date so far as I know.

Cheers for that. He is making it pretty obvious as far as I can see !!

But will the initial talks be taken further ??

Correct remember we once have talks with Claudio Ranieri, very enough they were very brief talks. I think it shows though talk means very little.

Correct remember we once have talks with Claudio Ranieri, very enough they were very brief talks. I think it shows though talk means very little.

That was when Fireworks Phil was trying to make a name for himself and when the said Ranieri staed that he'd come for ?1n p.a. Vr gave hinm short shrift and rightly so. and, for what it is worth, I don't think McGhee is the man for us either.

That was when Fireworks Phil was trying to make a name for himself and when the said Ranieri stated that he'd come for ?1n p.a. Vr gave him short shrift and rightly so. and, for what it is worth, I don't think McGhee is the man for us either.

That was when Fireworks Phil was trying to make a name for himself and when the said Ranieri stated that he'd come for ?1n p.a. Vr gave him short shrift and rightly so. and, for what it is worth, I don't think McGhee is the man for us either.

I know what happened but talks still took place that was my point. Who is to say that VR will not tell McGhee to GTF ? All i am saying is talk is cheap, until the new manager is signed i won't get to excited by a nonsense quote in the paper. :)

markletissier
Think he's delusional if he's waiting on the Celtic job tbh, can't see them appointing a manager who's won **** all significant in his career and had about one good season in the last half a decade. The fan(nys) would be against him from the start.

explain strachan then......

Ibrahim Tall
explain strachan then......

Took Southampton to an FA Cup Final and Europe with a pretty terrible squad, and managed to keep Coventry up for years despite a team that was even worse.

Even then, Strachans my point exactly, McGhees not even achieved what Strachan has he's never been accepted either.

Interesting that when interviewed after the game yesterday (about being in poll position for Europe) he said something along the lines of "of course the likes of Hearts,er I mean Dundee Utd, are still chasing 3rd..."

Seemed an odd slip to make. Maybe Hearts are on his mind.....

Must admit, I heard that too and thought "Ooh, I wonder ?".

Took Southampton to an FA Cup Final and Europe with a pretty terrible squad, and managed to keep Coventry up for years despite a team that was even worse.

Even then, Strachans my point exactly, McGhees not even achieved what Strachan has he's never been accepted either.

yet mcghee has one thing that strachan has not

he has played for celtic

Dirk Diggler

McGhee is 'Celtic minded' though, despite like Strachan, being an Aberdeen legend.

:confused:

Dirk Diggler

I know it's all been said on this thread already but this jumps right out at me on that article.

McGhee, however, has admitted it is a huge compliment to be linked with the job and stated contracts that are signed by players and managers these days as virtually worthless in the present climate within the game

McGhee is 'Celtic minded' though, despite like Strachan, being an Aberdeen legend.

:confused:

that is exactly what I was thinking

Must agree with an earlier post and say that if I were a Motherwell fan i'd be unhappy at what my manager had said and then I would be convinced he was off.

The question is, where?

I'd be very happy if McGhee was appointed.

In-fact, i'd be happy with ANY manager that was given full 100% team control.

I just don't think anyone will. I have never believed that VR will give anyone the full autonomous riegns and for that I remain doubtful.

Hope I'm wrong

If McGhee is issuing a "come and get me" then that's some way to thank Motherwell for plucking him from the dole queue just 9 1/2 months ago.

He admitted himself how strange football can be when he was being linked with the Scotland job. He made comments to the papers at the time that he and McLeish (who was also unemployed at the time) had been sitting in one of their houses talking about their plans to get back into the game and then less than 12 months later McLeish is managing in the Premiership and he's being linked with managing the national side.

It's too easy to get excited that he may be inviting offers from Hearts, without thinking about whether he would hesitate to do the same thing to us next March if he gets a better offer. Hearts need a period of stability. Not a manager who will drop us like a hot potato after 3/4 of his first season in charge. The next managerial appointment we make will be crucial and it's vital we bring in someone who can build the club up again at all playing levels. And that takes more than 40 odd weeks.

Charlie-Brown

Having taken Motherwell this close to being in contention for a UEFA cup place I think I'd respect McGhee more if he rejected any moves from other clubs (Hearts included) until the season ends than if he were to move now.

Once the season's over then fair enough - barring a cup win then fighting for a european place is probably as far as any manager can take Motherwell FC.

If McGhee or Levein are the men we want we should wait until the season is done & dusted. If either of them walked out on their club at this stage then it would only fuel suspicion / fears that one day they would do the same with us.

ford donald

[THERE HAS BEEN NO DIRECT CONTACT] is the key to the statemnet!

Auld Reekin'
que sera sera

"Kiss 'er what...???"

:biggrin:

Norman Stanley Fletcher_thumb.jpg

Geoff Kilpatrick

I still don't think McGhee will be HMFC manager come June 30 (the deadline in my head for a manager to be appointed). That's not based on anything other than my reading of the speculation.

When we're as low as we are just now, any semi sensible suggestion seems like a good one and McGhee, who knows?? Would maybe prefer Levein and would llike to see Elvis as his right hand man, not that I think Vlad would give an inch on that front. We need more than a manager, the squad we have just now is not good, Id get rid of Pinilla, Miko, McCann, for starters and would like to see the likes of Russel Anderson, Riordan and the boy from Falkirk that's sitting doing nowt at Ibrox, who knows if Rangers go on to great things this season we might get the likes of Naysmith, for me the players we have are bottom 6 and that includes Michael Stewart, the current Lith boys, mole, Elliot etc, we need a good foundation then give some of the younger guys a chance to learn alongside them. Dream on!!!

Archived