"It is a step up as far as I am concerned"

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Guest Bilel Mohsni

John Rankin feels he has moved up in his career after joining Dundee UTD from Hibs... Has he no appreciation of fields, sheds and twelve men screeching in shiny lego stands?

How do you measure the size of a club? Attendences? Trophies? League points? Or are you a purist who favours floodlights, electronic scoreboards and being first to wear a specific colour?

Has Squiggler joined a 'bigger club' or is it a backwards step?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

John Rankin feels he has moved up in his career after joining Dundee UTD from Hibs... Has he no appreciation of fields, sheds and twelve men screeching in shiny lego stands?

How do you measure the size of a club? Attendences? Trophies? League points? Or are you a purist who favours floodlights, electronic scoreboards and being first to wear a specific colour?

Clerry Jambo

Well his new club has more letters than his old club Mothy :rolleyes:

rossthejambo

Sideways step IMO, but made me chuckle that he thought United were a bigger club than Hibs.

Do The Dance

If he's getting paid more, and has a better chance of finishing higher up the table - then it's a move up. If you're talking size of club then it's a step down. Plus he's leaving Edinburgh for Dundee..

definite step up.

the only thing hibs have going for them is their slightly better than average attendances. other than that, dundee united are a bigger and better outfit.

squiggler man, he tell the truth.

United are much better than Hibs on the park so I agree with the squiggler. He's moving from a bottom six team to a top six team.

Good on the lad :thumbsup:

Dundee Utd also won something last season Hibs haven't had the joy of winning for 110 years :P

definite step up.

the only thing hibs have going for them is their slightly better than average attendances. other than that, dundee united are a bigger and better outfit.

squiggler man, he tell the truth.

:what:

If you hadn't realise they were also the first team to use floodlights too.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

So that's probably right enough then.

Squiggler has moved to a superior club. Hibs however have more people turn up to watch their inferior team each week.

I think John raises an interesting question in his no-doubt bitter comments though. How do we judge the size of a club? I mean we are third largest in terms of support and recent success, with only our European record being the real sticking point. John's comments though take me back to Torres' words when he signed for Chelsea... (Much bigger clubs in question but a similar argument)

"... I felt from last summer that I need to do a step forward in my career and for my ambition as a footballer. I am joining a team that is at the top level, there is not another level after Chelsea. I am joining with players like Chelsea have. I am joining with big names like Terry, Lampard, Drogba and Anelka and I can be part of this great team. Also I wanted to join because Chelsea always have shown a big respect for me. They really want me and it is important when you have the support of the people in the club, and the support of the fans who always showed respect to me when I came to Stamford Bridge and at Anfield. Now I am very happy to be a Chelsea player. It is good news that you can play in the Champions League this season. It is often not the case for January signings. The Champions League is a big ambition and all the footballers want to play in it, it is a very important competition. But also Chelsea have the chance every season to win all the trophies that they play for, so when you have the chance to play in a team like this you cannot say no... "

Surely no-one can argue that Liverpool are the bigger club compared to Chelsea but Fernando is adamant that he has moved up in his career and moved on to another level.

Everyone refers to Chelsea as a big club but they are not in the same level as some better supported clubs both in their league and around Europe. Certainly smaller than Liverpool both in success and fan-base and yet due to recent success at Chelsea, many describe Chelsea as a bigger club and a step up.

How do you define the size of a club? Support or success? Bit of both?

Anyway, I'd like to congratulate Squiggler on a step up in quality and a move to team that has really put in some challenges of late and hope that he can one day look back without malice at the years he wasted as his career stalled at a club going nowhere fast. :thumbsup:

Hibs are definately bigger than Utd. But not by much.

He's only saying what the Utd fans want to hear.

Archived