Property in Newcastle

PapaShango

PapaShango

Possibly getting a new job in Newcastle and looking to relocate. Anyone any tips on decent areas and areas best avoided. Would quite like to be close to the city centre if possible.

Serj Tankian

Not live outside and travel in to work plenty small villages 10-15 miles away not try "bad areas of newcastle" on google

Denny Crane

Jesmond, Gosforth, Heaton, Benton and Kingston Park are very nice but very expensive. The west end is to be avoided - there's a reason why the metro system doesn't run through here. Byker, Kenton, Gateshead and Wallsend are ones to avoid too. Longbenton used to fall into that category but there is an attempt to gentrify it (I'll wait and see if it works). Due to the excellent metro system, commuting is a viable option. The coast, South Tyneside and Sunderland are within 30 minutes of the city centre. Don't know much about Sunderland (except avoid Pennywell). However West Monkseaton, Monkseaton, Whitley Bay, Cullercoats, Tynemouth and parts of North Shields (Meadowell excepted) are nice - but will cost you an arm and a leg as will South Shields and Boldon.

Mr Brightside

Possibly getting a new job in Newcastle and looking to relocate. Anyone any tips on decent areas and areas best avoided. Would quite like to be close to the city centre if possible.

Jesmond would be best if you can get something you can afford.

I stayed in Heaton when i was a student down there and it's ok, a right mix of students, council tenants and your average working guy.

I would avoid Fenham, tho.

polwarthjambo

i lived in heaton for about 4 years - i thought it was a great area. decent local pubs and shops, only about a mile from the dogs, metro line into town and a decent bus service. it's less expensive than Jesmond or gosforth but probably not as nice. other good shouts are South Gosforth, sandyford and High Heaton. pm if you want any more info :thumbsup:

The People's Chimp

+1 for Jesmond. My brother's ex lived there and went down quite a few times. Really nice area, pretty studenty, but lots of properties about, shops, bars and lively most nights. I had a great time there.

PapaShango

Thanks folks much appreciated! I had heard Jesmond was a decent area so might take a look at properties here and see what I can afford!!

Archived