Walter Smith

H.A.N.S

Glad to see the 80 minute brigade stayed on til the 90th. Fully deserves that reception and it excellent he has got them in pole position with the size of squad he had at his disposal and all the uncertainty over banking issues and cutbacks.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
alwaysthereinspirit

Glad to see the 80 minute brigade stayed on til the 90th. Fully deserves that reception and it excellent he has got them in pole position with the size of squad he had at his disposal and all the uncertainty over banking issues and cutbacks.

:blink:

The Future's Maroon

I was told the Gers fans have a banner....

"Walter Smith - Legned" :lol:

Cupar Jambo

Still managed to spend over 4 million last season on 1 player, these two up front tonight cost 8 million. Big timer in small league got chased out of Everton

While I'm happy to wish him a happy retirement, I'm a Hearts fan and I don't think it's excellent that some team other than Hearts is in pole position.

It's the same old same old as far as I'm concerned. Nothing excellent about OF domination. It's rubbish and I'm sick of it.

He is an absolute rasper and I will never forget the lack of dignity he had when we defeated them in the cup in his last game.

I hate Walter Smith.

Still managed to spend over 4 million last season on 1 player, these two up front tonight cost 8 million. Big timer in small league got chased out of Everton

Big pressure on the Jelavic signing, if he had flopped it may have cost them the league. The Ginger Dwarf went out and bought everyone in sight. If he had a squad of that size the league would have been over at Xmas. Well done Walter.

Tynecastle Valhalla

walter smith is a rangers man - that in itself is disgusting.

on top of that he left scotland when he was in charge.

really dont like him.

although mr lennon is worse

southcapital

Big pressure on the Jelavic signing, if he had flopped it may have cost them the league. The Ginger Dwarf went out and bought everyone in sight. If he had a squad of that size the league would have been over at Xmas. Well done Walter.

troll

Jelavic cost more than 90% of scottish clubs have spent in total on transfer fees ever.

Malinga the Swinga

Overrated manager who has bought and bullied way to success in Scotland. Tried to manage in England, and because he didn't have the most money to spend, and was in charge of middle ranking team, he was a complete and utter failure. Almost relegated Everton and relied on Sir AF to get him back in game. then got Scotland job and did the dirty on the nation by going back to them, leaving us in the lurch.

Good riddance to Walter and may we never see nor hear of him again.

Oops forgot to mention still in Europe after Xmas, making it even more remarkable.

Celtic will have to go out and sign another 7 players this summer.

Konrad von Carstein

He is an absolute rasper and I will never forget the lack of dignity he had when we defeated them in the cup in his last game.

I hate Walter Smith.

I don't really like the guy but I can't remember this..he is usually fairly reasonable when interviewed etc (although this is easy to do when you win more than you lose) can you elaborate?

alwaysthereinspirit

Oops forgot to mention still in Europe after Xmas, making it even more remarkable.

Celtic will have to go out and sign another 7 players this summer.

How many other Rankgers fans post on JKB?

shaun.lawson

I'm going to go a bit against the grain here. I hate Rangers, and would never, ever describe Walter Smith as a "legend". But I do respect him: to be honest, his achievements and demeanour command respect.

That he's now on his way to his third title on the bounce, and tenth in total (!), suggests one of two things:

1. Rangers get all the decisions going, meaning Lennon must have a point

2. Smith has done an unbelievable job

Although I frequently get angry by the sense that the first option has more than a grain of truth, I have to tend towards the second.

When Smith took over, Rangers were light years behind Celtic on and off the pitch. Rangers had spent the first half of that season making fools of themselves almost every week under Paul Le Guen, having done something similar the year before; whereas Celtic were about to take eventual winners Milan to extra time of the second leg in the CL last 16. Most people thought he didn't know what he was doing - but the speed with which Rangers closed the gap under him was incredible, and the run to the UEFA Cup Final pretty bloody remarkable too.

Yes, the football's been shocking at times; and his side have been a violent, thuggish lot, nauseatingly indulged by officials far too often. But it's not that far fetched to suggest that, by doing such a job at a time Rangers' have come close to administration, he's come close to saving the club he loves; and that it's now under new ownership and, surely, about to retain the title means he leaves it on a much healthier footing than when he first returned.

That's dispiriting news for everyone else; but it's enormously to his credit. I think he's a grumpy curmudgeon, who must be deeply unpleasant to get on the bad side of - but in Scottish terms at least, he's a great manager, and it doesn't make me any less of a Hearts fan to acknowledge that.

Uncle Buck

I was told the Gers fans have a banner....

"Walter Smith - Legned" :lol:

Heard the exact same :lol:

I don't really like the guy but I can't remember this..he is usually fairly reasonable when interviewed etc (although this is easy to do when you win more than you lose) can you elaborate?

We headed up to my mates flat post match, and were informed that Walter Smith couldn't say a good word about Hearts on the radio. Apparently spent the whole time moaning about our penalty, their penalty claim and how if the game had lasted another ten minutes they would have hammered* us.

As much as it pains me to recall this, as I hate this man also, "super" Ally was extremely gentlemanly and had a lot of nice things to say about us.

Walter Smith - Bad winner & bad loser.

*I cannot recall the exact term that was retold to me, but it was something like hammered/thrashed/walloped or some such other crushing style of victory.

I need to hear more about this...

shaun.lawson

Overrated manager who has bought and bullied way to success in Scotland. Tried to manage in England, and because he didn't have the most money to spend, and was in charge of middle ranking team, he was a complete and utter failure. Almost relegated Everton and relied on Sir AF to get him back in game. then got Scotland job and did the dirty on the nation by going back to them, leaving us in the lurch.

Good riddance to Walter and may we never see nor hear of him again.

Everton had been in serious trouble for years: it's actually Howard Kendall and Mike Walker who almost relegated them. Much of his subsequent difficulties there were down to the poisonous battle between Peter Johnson and Bill Kenwright for ownership of the club.

My view of Smith's time at Goodison is simple: someone had to do the night shift, and things would probably have been an awful lot worse under most managers. Then he transformed Scotland's fortunes pretty much out of nothing; then, against a hideous off-field backdrop, he returned Rangers to the top of the Scottish game, and even reached a European final en route.

Overrated? If anyone tries comparing him with Scotland's true all time managerial greats (Ferguson, Stein, Shankly, Busby), then yes; but he occupies a position as a great manager in his own right. If they do the needful at Rugby Park, ten league titles can't be dismissed by anyone, I'm afraid.

:ninja:

As per what BH says. Smith masquerades as a gentleman but proved in the infamous Chic Young YouTube clip that he can be a vile individual.

He regularly makes snide remarks about teams and no one in the media really pulled him up for it.

Good manager - yes. Can't argue with his record but I'm glad he is gone as he has been Ranger's biggest asset for the last few years.

On another note - With Msith at the helm Rangers have been one of the luckiest teams in the league and scraped wins time after time. Whilst luck is not a quantifiable thing - I hope it goes with him.

Konrad von Carstein

We headed up to my mates flat post match, and were informed that Walter Smith couldn't say a good word about Hearts on the radio. Apparently spent the whole time moaning about our penalty, their penalty claim and how if the game had lasted another ten minutes they would have hammered* us.

As much as it pains me to recall this, as I hate this man also, "super" Ally was extremely gentlemanly and had a lot of nice things to say about us.

Walter Smith - Bad winner & bad loser.

Cheers.... :thumbsup:

*I cannot recall the exact term that was retold to me, but it was something like hammered/thrashed/walloped or some such other crushing style of victory.

Graham Thomson

As a Hearts fan I respect Walter Smith can't argue with his record , he loves his club what's wrong with that??

tartofmidlothian

Just wish we could've given him a send-off like the last one.

In all fairness, I respect what he's achieved in the Scottish game and hope he enjoys his gardening or whatever. Swally might prove to be a good manager, but he's got plenty to live up to and plenty of ground to give.

That Chick Dung clip's hilarious, btw.

Napoleon  Wilson

**** him and **** rangers

You're welcome

X

:bravo:

I'd still love to see him head-butt Lennon on the sideline and leave the swine bleeding on the grass.

Arthur Morgan

:down:

By appointing Lennon in Walter Smiths final year the Celtic Board have allowed Smith to exit looking gifted, charming, sporting and gentlemanly by comparison.

Isaac Clarke

68080d1206754537-animated-gif-thread-ban-him-thumbs-down.gif

hearts_crazy

**** Walter Smith and **** his horrible team, mini huns can **** off too, if you're that into Rangers go and support them

**** Walter Smith and **** his horrible team, mini huns can **** off too, if you're that into Rangers go and support them

Spot on! Best post in this thread!

No coincidence that you've got a hun in your avatar then, eh? blink.gif

JamboRossi79

thumbsup.gif

:bravo:

freddiemac

david murray got rid of walter smith in 1998 for being unable to take rangers to another level in europe. brought him back as a panic measure to replace le guen. but wallie still couldn't hack europe and won only one of his last 21 games in europe, 1-0 at home to bursapor.

unfortunately for rangers european officials are not quite so corrupt as the refs and assistants in scotland. this resulted in defeats from clubs like the mighty KAUNAS.

david murray got rid of walter smith in 1998 for being unable to take rangers to another level in europe. brought him back as a panic measure to replace le guen. but wallie still couldn't hack europe and won only one of his last 21 games in europe, 1-0 at home to bursapor.

unfortunately for rangers european officials are not quite so corrupt as the refs and assistants in scotland. this resulted in defeats from clubs like the mighty KAUNAS.

Exactly.

Wattie then went to Everton and was a total disaster - although you'd never know it when you see his record on SSN tonight - and was effectively booted out of Goodison.

Archived