Could Tuesday see the SPL game of the year?

MelonFarmer

MelonFarmer

Getting away from HMFC for a sec, I'm thinking Rangers vs Dundee Utd could be a cracking game for the neutral.

Both sides are great going forward and in great form, regularly scoring 3 to 4 goals in a game.

Discuss.

Yes. I just hope that the result doesn't invalidate Wednesdays game.

I hope it does.

Toxteth O'Grady

Yes. I just hope that the result doesn't invalidate Wednesdays game.

I don't think you mean that :rolleyes:

Charlie-Brown

Rangers winning the SPL would mean 4th place gets a Europa League place if Celtic then win the Scottish Cup - if Celtic win the league the Motherwell are guaranteed the Scottish Cup slot in Europe. It might suite Dundee United better for Rangers to win on Tuesday? The alternative is Utd MUST win their own 2 remaining games and hope that Hearts take nothing from Celtic on Wednesday.

I'm a bit worried as i genuinely think dundee utd have the measure of rangers. Naughty-****** can tear weir apart and they also out-do them physically. Its a worry!

Rangers winning the SPL would mean 4th place gets a Europa League place if Celtic then win the Scottish Cup - if Celtic win the league the Motherwell are guaranteed the Scottish Cup slot in Europe. It might suite Dundee United better for Rangers to win on Tuesday? The alternative is Utd MUST win their own 2 remaining games and hope that Hearts take nothing from Celtic on Wednesday.

Either way they're still reliant on Celtic getting a result

If Dundee united win on Tuesday then that is one of their two remaining games out the way and they just need Celtic to beat Hearts (currently odds on at 1/2 ) and they have their fate in their own hands

If Rangers win then Dundee United are relying on Celtic to beat Motherwell (Again odds on 1/2) and Rangers to not blow it.

The one thing they really can't use is a draw that would put Celtic back in the box seat for the title and make it very difficult for them to catch Hearts.

If the scores are level late in the game we may see both teams going all out for the win.

Personally I reckon Rangers will most probably have this wrapped up by half time

Personally however I think Rangers will most likely tear them to bits.

shaun.lawson

Listening to his post-match comments yesterday, I think Houston will take that chance.

I like Houston, and respect what Dundee United have done in recent years. I want to see us beat them to 3rd place fair and square; either by doing what we need to against Celtic and/or them, or by Rangers beating them fair and square: not because of the officials. Scottish football is a total farce at times, and this does have the potential to be a tremendous match between two in-form sides. I hope it is.

Coburg Hearts

Dundee Utd. could, though not intentionally, play on Tuesday thinking that getting beat may not be the worst thing in the world, and that it would almost certainly guarantee them a European slot. Or maybe not. :sweat: Hopefully, though, it will be in the back of their minds.

headersdad

The SPL runners-up and the Scottish Cup winners enter in qualifying round three, with the third-placed team in the SPL coming in at qualifying round two.

In the event that the cup winners qualify for the Champions League then the cup winner entry to the Europa League will be taken by the club which finishes 2nd in the SPL; the entry normally for the club which finishes 2nd in the SPL would be taken by the club which finishes 3rd; the entry normally for the club which finishes 3rd would be taken by the runner-up in the Scottish Cup.

The above is from the SPL website. No mention of a 4th place getting in to the Europa League. The way I read it, we need Celtic to win the double, then the 3rd place team gets to start in round 3 instead of round 2 ( 28 July instead of 14 July ) and Motherwell start in round 2 as cup runners up.. Am I reading this correctly?

Imeantasong

Or if we only take a point.

That would leave them needing to beat us with a 3 goal margin, based on them beating Rangers by 1 goal.

Achievable with our confidence and theirs.

The SPL runners-up and the Scottish Cup winners enter in qualifying round three, with the third-placed team in the SPL coming in at qualifying round two.

In the event that the cup winners qualify for the Champions League then the cup winner entry to the Europa League will be taken by the club which finishes 2nd in the SPL; the entry normally for the club which finishes 2nd in the SPL would be taken by the club which finishes 3rd; the entry normally for the club which finishes 3rd would be taken by the runner-up in the Scottish Cup.

The above is from the SPL website. No mention of a 4th place getting in to the Europa League. The way I read it, we need Celtic to win the double, then the 3rd place team gets to start in round 3 instead of round 2 ( 28 July instead of 14 July ) and Motherwell start in round 2 as cup runners up.. Am I reading this correctly?

Yeah, but also if the cup winner has already qualified for the Europa League, rather than the Champions League (i.e. the vicTims finish 2nd and win the cup), then I believe the way it works is the cup runner up will get **** all and the places will be distributed through to 4th place.

The fact that we are discussing this really hammers home how piss poor we have been for months. 2 wins in about 3 months... not good enough.

Good luck Dundee Utd if the beat the Huns as any team that goes to the title challengers and win probably deserve it.

Bit past caring regarding finishing 3rd - for me the season has become a disappointment considering where we where at Xmas.

jambogee1974

Why is there a general negative feeling that utd are going to get anything from ibrox? Nae chance smiths last game at home, more points towards clinching the title and (controversial) a ref on the books, they will hump utd we will clinch 3rd end off, as for doing it ourselves fair and square we have we have amassed the points during the whole season to be best of the rest haven't we? All they draws where still points towards our fate.

So look oot the passports we're off to Kazikstan, NICE

The one thing they really can't use is a draw that would put Celtic back in the box seat for the title and make it very difficult for them to catch Hearts.

It would indeed be very difficult to claw back four points with one game remaining blink.gif

scott herbertson

It would indeed be very difficult to claw back four points with one game remaining blink.gif

Stil possible if you are Rangers or Cetic (points deduction of other contenders for poor discipline)

Archived