Little Things That Amuse You About Football

TheBigO

Have a feeling this one will be less popular!

When a ref/lino falls over

Policemans's hat knocked off by ball (classic)

Scalding hot bovril and a cold pie

Jonathan Pearce starting to get big games

When the other team hit the side netting and their fans think it's in

That football's so brilliant, lots of people want to "have" a team in each country just to have an interest (my Polish team is...)

Ballboys who are too wee to be ballboys

If you like football and you're meeting your wife's pal's other half and he also likes football, you've got something to talk about

speedbump

Seeing a celtic fans head split open as he head butted a bus window.

Seeing a celtic fans head split open as he head butted a bus window.

Was he trying to lick it?

Sexton Hardcastle

Shooting "Practice" at the Gorgie end.

The dick who shouts "thats me" when the half time draw winners gets shouted up. When it cleary was not.

Setanta bird's arse.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

When I was a boy standing on the terraces...

* The old boys that would clap and gruffly pronounce: "That's it Hearts, time to bring on a bit of experience" whenever we brought on Bannon.

Nostalgia at it's finest. :)

It used to be Wee Sinky's shouts at the away support (the one's I can Type :ninja: ). He sat on the opposite aisle to me, He was at the end of Sec D I was 3 in in sec E :)

"There's only 1 united, and that's a chocolate biscuit" was always a classic!! :P

speedbump

Was he trying to lick it?

he wasn't too amused by the antic of a few of us on the west end hearts.

When 2 of your team go up for a header and bump into each other - there is guaranteed to be at least one person round about you who will shout "one of youse" as if that does any good :lol:

The dafties who always cheer a crossfield long ball - which usually sees their cheers coinciding with the winger getting man and ball and clattered by the opposition full back :lol:

speedbump

It used to be Wee Sinky's shouts at the away support (the one's I can Type :ninja: ). He sat on the opposite aisle to me, He was at the end of Sec D I was 3 in in sec E :)

"There's only 1 united, and that's a chocolate biscuit" was always a classic!! :P

that used to be sung with gusto in The Shed days.

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Setanta bird's arse.

This. Even if we got beat at home to the OF or something in a big game, you could always look forward to her strutting past section N and loving the attention she got :D

She's getting old now though :( Only been around for a few years, now with ESPN I think but she's aged horribly.

Just want to add that I still totally would.

jamboinglasgow

Whenever the home crowd thinks there is a handball and it is not given. You hear 10k people shout handball in unison, a 2 second pause, then 10k people grumbling as one.

Bert Le Clos

Fans celebrating a goal that is offisde - Rangers fans are horrendous for this.

Some of the chants that seems to be made up on the spot at games but are absolute classics.

Players slipping as they run up to take a goal kick/free kick.

Players trying to do tricks and falling on their arse - the David Dunn one they played on Soccer AM for years is the mecca of these.

Spotting tidy/ugly birds in the away support and giving them "compliments"/abuse.

Spotting wallopers in the away end and giving them abuse ie. pink tracky top boy.

Players being funny in interviews. The David Luiz one last week was hilarious.

This. Even if we got beat at home to the OF or something in a big game, you could always look forward to her strutting past section N and loving the attention she got :D

She's getting old now though :( Only been around for a few years, now with ESPN I think but she's aged horribly.

That's what years of tanning salons and painting your jeans on will do.

missed that. link?

speedbump

Mmmmm aha, yes, mmmm, aha, aha :D :D :D

Craigieboy

The long gone "you're shite ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" when a goalkeeper takes a kick out.

Wallace Mercer pausing relentlessly through an interview and smiling for the cameramen to take a decent photo.

Hibs fans previously leaving games when our 2nd goal went in (during the 17/22 in a row).

Ian Bairds front part of his hair. :what:

John Leslie/the proclaimers/Grant Stott Knew :vrface: being hibs celebrity arsehole fans. :rofl:

Late winning goal celebrations (new year hibs, Dundee Utd etc).

When a fan tries to go solo with a song :facepalm:

Sawdust Caesar

Seeing an away fan misjudge the steepness of the stairs in the Roseburn and bounce his butt down a few.

Neilson's Shank

The casual unintended racisim of pensioners, I suppose it's a generational thing. The old guy who used to sit next to us was a classic. Dundee Utd were bringing on Gomis two years ago and the comment was "watch him ref, he has probably got a blow pipe down his sock". Of couurse we were all too PC to be amused

Currahee!

She always wears the same tight jeans.

I wonder if she's ever washed them. :whistling:

I totally would.

RoyCropper

My favourite is when the ball goes out for a throw in and a fan rises out his seat and heads it back onto the pitch, resulting in massive cheers from everyone. Anyone notice that when it happens too, its always a bald guy? :lol:

When people shout and bawl at the ref for the opposition time wasting in the last few minutes when they are winning. Aye, because we never take our time when winning. :teehee:

Anyone agree?

She always wears the same tight jeans.

I wonder if she's ever washed them. :whistling:

I totally would.

Same boots and tight jacket as well, IIRC. Not that I've stared at her a lot or anything. wink.gif

jamboinglasgow

The confused look on an old firm fan when they lose, they just dont understand how that could possibly happen.

Currahee!

Same boots and tight jacket as well, IIRC. Not that I've stared at her a lot or anything. wink.gif

Neither have I. :whistling:

jambobroch

I like this thread. I will add the feeling while walking along Gorgie Road after a good win. Preferably in the sunshine,and if you get to walk past any away fans that's always a bonus. I am always a fan of the mental celebration,but my favourite thing about football is that contented feeling described above, when nothing in the world could be wrong. Heaven.

Someone doing the can can down the steps of the old terracing when the p1sh was flowing down from the bog,made me laugh.

For me, it's the synchronised clapping that occurs during games.

EVERY football fan who regularly attends games knows exactly the tempo, the amount and the volume of claps in every given situation.

Win a corner when 1 down? It's a furious, brief clap.

Somebody spreads the ball across the park into someone in space? A ripple of sparse clapping.

HillmanHearts

Generally love the Fans banter at games - hearing the odd pearls of wisdom as well as the total bollocks in equal measure as the 90 minutes go by..

I remember one older punter in the politically incorrect days going off on a rage at a Derby after a rash Gareth Evans tackle on a Hearts player at the touchline by the old enclosure ( now section N ! )

"Away back tae Ireland Evans ! - ya Welsh B*st*ard ! " he screamed. Which was even funnier taking into account that Evans is actualy English.

fabienleclerq

Seeing an away fan misjudge the steepness of the stairs in the Roseburn and bounce his butt down a few.

Dundee utd? bowl cut,retro strip?

My favourite is when the ball goes out for a throw in and a fan rises out his seat and heads it back onto the pitch, resulting in massive cheers from everyone. Anyone notice that when it happens too, its always a bald guy? :lol:

When people shout and bawl at the ref for the opposition time wasting in the last few minutes when they are winning. Aye, because we never take our time when winning. :teehee:

Anyone agree?

I did it earlier this season and barely got a peep :verymad: except from a group of Spanish guys in the front row who loved it.

I was very proud, regardless!

I did it earlier this season and barely got a peep :verymad: except from a group of Spanish guys in the front row who loved it.

I was very proud, regardless!

Are you a bald guy, Jen??

Are you a bald guy, Jen??

Nope. I made a brave stand for us non-baldies to have the right to head the ball at the match!

Maybe I got a poor response cos the baldies weren't happy.

More chat about the Setanta bird, please. Also, pics too. thumbsup.gif

mahgrassyshoes

The Finlay Quaye lookalike ballboy who sat infront of section H for the first half of this season, he always l;ooked like he couldn't give a feck!

Seeing a keeper frantically rushing to take a goalkick in the last 10 minutes of a game because his team are getting beat after he had been wasting as mich time as possible when him team were winning after around 30 mins (see that knob Cammy Bell at Rugby Park in January...).

Templeton'sUnderpants

Setanta bird's arse.

Deserves a thread of its own.

allystrachan

im always a fan of the half time murmour. in the minutes leading up to half time in a boring game no one cares about whats happening on the pitch but you can hear everyone talking. probably saying what they are eating at half time. lol

The thing that amuses me(and puzzles her indoors)is that she thinks its just 90 minutes of kickin' a ball about.

It's much more than that,darling!:rolleyes:

Every emotion can be experienced at a single game,the pre,and post,match discussions(over a pint of course),the general banter throughout the day and the whole ritual of going to the match.

I love football!:thumbsup:

maroonshrew

Im a big fan of people not knowing the rules, like when fans call for offside from a throw in or for a backpass when a defender knees it.

The ball hitting the roof of the main stand always amuses me (easily pleased!). I think the inner child in me hopes that it will roll down the roof and hit the throw-in taker in the puss.

Very occasionally someone hoofs it clean over and everyone cheers.

For me, it's the synchronised clapping that occurs during games.

EVERY football fan who regularly attends games knows exactly the tempo, the amount and the volume of claps in every given situation.

Win a corner when 1 down? It's a furious, brief clap.

Somebody spreads the ball across the park into someone in space? A ripple of sparse clapping.

It's the synchronised everything for me. Sometimes it's more pronounced than at other times but I just love the way the whole crowd will make exactly the same gasp, grumble, anti-ref decision roar, leaping out of seats/thudding back into them in irritation, or rise halfway up out of their seats hovering all poised for reaction and drop back into them once danger has cleared. Stamping of feet, murmurs of excitement that ripple right the way around each stand, those slightly arsey chuckles made after a dodgy-but-not-game-threatening decision. There are even uniform agreed responses to different types of foul, different variations of them for players that nobody likes very much or players who have been at the centre of attention during that game for the wrong reasons. It must be really weird for newcomers to sit amongst that when it's just an entirely instinctive thing for 99% of the other fans around them, and most of the time also completely subconscious. And yes, the clapping...that's another odd one, very true though.

Things that amuse me though:

- when one of the griping moany types gets so carried away that he ends up shouting about some incident or player and they're entirely incorrect in their interpretation of events, but they don't notice and launch into their rant with all the decibels their fury can muster, but then realise that they're doing a solo performance...and they get a few words into their sentence, enough for those around to know what the perceived issue was, but then the horror of the situation smacks 'em in the chops and their voices trail off into whispering squeaks as they realise their faux-pas. Haha. Makes me grin every time without fail...it only really tends to happen to people who tend to need to shut up a bit anyway.

- the way opposition players hunch shoulders, grit their teeth and do their utmost to keep a blank expression on their faces as they warm-up at the side of the pitch whilst listening to a barrage of abuse from about 2ft away. They always fail so badly, but you know they've probably been practicing their 'Tynecastle face' in the mirror at home and building up to that moment for hours beforehand. Wee shame.

And other things I can't remember right now...

Gregory House M.D.

I love her! I bought a season ticket behind the old dugouts in 08/09 for ?125 then got a letter 2 months into the season saying i had to move as we had bought setanta staffs seats... I kindly rejected the offer saying i won't be moving unless they compensate me with a gold season ticket in Section G (N was bronze at the time i think) they did and i have spent many a good game in the best section of the ground since... Back to the thread... The 'who shat all the pies' song when some guy farted, Motherwell 6-6 Hibs, Hearts 4-4 Hibs, Hibs, Ratboys tantrums, Obuas gunslinging celebration, banksy on the bar... I could go on all day

Archived