It must've been tough having the following players 'thrust' upon you

Bednar

Jankauskas

Tall

Pospisil

skacel

Fyssas

Brellier

I think out of that list Tall, Jankauskas and Takis were Romanov signings.

*sorry just noticed thats already been pointed out!

Francis Albert

I don't think we would have lost that game under Burley. I dont think we would have lost at Easter Road under Burley.

Burley had the players behind him, they played for him. He had the support behind him, we believed. He had the media behind him - they turned on the club when Burley left.

Romanov sacking Burley is the worst mistake he has made in miles during his tenure at the club. I think he seen the start Burley made and thought winning the SPL was going to be a lot easier than anticipated, this was mainly down to the huns being so shite that season. When he realized this wasn't the case and added to that the press who hated him after sacking Burley and then going against Elvis Hartley and Gordon he stopped investing as much and it looks like the dream for both us and him is gone.

Burley gave us an amazing time the first few months. The win at Killie & hammering Hibs the highlights for me.

I'm certain by some people's postings on the events that it doesn't matter what manager is sacked be in Burley, Csaba or even JJ in the future Romanov will always get the backing of some no matter what the reasons are. That's fair do's he saved us after all but try not and take away achievements the different managers at different times had.

First I don't think there is any Hearts fan who doesn't wish we had had the chance to see what would have happened if Burley hadn't been sacked. But what might have happened is speculation. We might have finished better than second and cup winners, but we might not (Burley's cup record after all was not impressive!).

I don't think it is true that the media only turned against him after he sacked Burley. Certain sections of the media were suspicious and hostile from the start and Vlad was regularly subject to ridicule - for example when he gave hospitality to the media visiting Lithuania for a Scotland game (warm champagne, cheap little dacha, frumpy wife and all that), the sort of treatment that no owner of Rangers or Celtic ever suffered. And as for Vlad "going against" the Riccarton Three, surely it was the other way round. Vlad's response to his employees holding a press conference to complain about how his business was run was incredibly mild - if any of us did the same our feet wouldn't touch the ground on the way out.

First I don't think there is any Hearts fan who doesn't wish we had had the chance to see what would have happened if Burley hadn't been sacked. But what might have happened is speculation. We might have finished better than second and cup winners, but we might not (Burley's cup record after all was not impressive!).

I don't think it is true that the media only turned against him after he sacked Burley. Certain sections of the media were suspicious and hostile from the start and Vlad was regularly subject to ridicule - for example when he gave hospitality to the media visiting Lithuania for a Scotland game (warm champagne, cheap little dacha, frumpy wife and all that), the sort of treatment that no owner of Rangers or Celtic ever suffered. And as for Vlad "going against" the Riccarton Three, surely it was the other way round. Vlad's response to his employees holding a press conference to complain about how his business was run was incredibly mild - if any of us did the same our feet wouldn't touch the ground on the way out.

fair enough, I don't agree though. Of course it's completely speculation but you can only go with what we seen and what pattern emerged and I think we would have won the league under Burley. We had the momentum, it was like watching the team that was from 86 under McDonald all over again and the Old Firm were genuinely scared of us under Burley.

When Burley was in charge he was on Scotsport every week, on the BBC giving interviews every week, we were getting all the plaudits left right and center. Of course there was cynicism towards Romanov especially after he got rid of Robbo and Miko-gate but it was all kept under wraps when Burley was here. It EXPLODED when he left. The media turned full circle. That had not just an effect on the medias approach but the SFA's approach and also an effect on the side. This was even before Rix came in. They might have not "only" turned against us because of Burley but it was "mainly" because Romanov emptied him as it was a disgrace. The media campaigned for Burley to get the Scotland gig after it too, this tells its own story about how highly regarded he was by them whilst at Tynie.

Drylaw Hearts

Even VR knows he was wrong when he sacked Burley - that's why he asked him back.

Denny Crane

fair enough, I don't agree though. Of course it's completely speculation but you can only go with what we seen and what pattern emerged and I think we would have won the league under Burley. We had the momentum, it was like watching the team that was from 86 under McDonald all over again and the Old Firm were genuinely scared of us under Burley.

When Burley was in charge he was on Scotsport every week, on the BBC giving interviews every week, we were getting all the plaudits left right and center. Of course there was cynicism towards Romanov especially after he got rid of Robbo and Miko-gate but it was all kept under wraps when Burley was here. It EXPLODED when he left. The media turned full circle. That had not just an effect on the medias approach but the SFA's approach and also an effect on the side. This was even before Rix came in. They might have not "only" turned against us because of Burley but it was "mainly" because Romanov emptied him as it was a disgrace. The media campaigned for Burley to get the Scotland gig after it too, this tells its own story about how highly regarded he was by them whilst at Tynie.

The same media who also launched a vitriolic campaign to eject him from the Scotland job and danced a jig when they succeeded. But do go on.....

portobellojambo1

Was that with the players his Russian owner had foisted on him?

The only time Burley relented and played the sort of team the ownership wanted us to play at that time was in the CIS Cup tie versus Livingston, the only game we lost during his too short time with us. It was a shocking selection, but that was the intention, to prove who knew how to pick a football team and who didn't.

Francis Albert

The only time Burley relented and played the sort of team the ownership wanted us to play at that time was in the CIS Cup tie versus Livingston, the only game we lost during his too short time with us. It was a shocking selection, but that was the intention, to prove who knew how to pick a football team and who didn't.

So Burley simply threw away the first chance of a trophy to make a point to the owners? That would disappoint me in him. I thought he was just applying the mentality he had developed in decades in England - that the league cup doesn't matter.

givememychoice

1 Craig Gordon

2 Robbie Neilson

3 Lee Wallace

4 Andy Webster

5 Steven Pressley

6 Deividas Cesnauskis Christophe Berra 73

7 Samuel Camazzola Rudi Skacel 60

8 Paul Hartley

9 Jaimie McAllister

10 Stephen Simmons

11 Jamie Mole Calum Elliot 60

Given that in the league livingston had played 7 and managed a single draw and 6 losses, may I be as bold as to suggest that that team was strong enough and wasnt really burley showing Vlad how Vlads idea would work.

The back 5 was as Burley largely wanted. (though im sure he would have allowed fyssas)

We were lacking strikers that night due to injuries (obviously vlads fault)

Hartley, at that time was one of the strongest midfielders in the country and vital to our success. Chesney has 42 caps for a country rated higher than Scotland (who are on equal points with us in our group).

jamie mac has done well down south.

Camazzola was a tidy enough player, we never saw enough, but he certainly seemed capable of dealing with that livingston outfit.

If i recall, janny, bednar and popsicle were all injured.

I have my own opinions about both parties (both of whom are flawed IMO), but i would deny the above statement about him showing vlad how vlads plan would work.

japanjambo

Even VR knows he was wrong when he sacked Burley - that's why he asked him back.

Exactly, DH. I was absolutely gutted when Burley was sacked. I couldn't get that awful gut feeling out of my system for ages. I couldn't care less what he'd done, if anything, as long as he was getting results on the pitch. As DH said, Vlad tried to get him back, after realising the awful blunder he had made.

Lynn :ninja:

Did you still think he was crap when he had us flying high in the league?

Burley would have been a success with Scotland had it not been for the amount of shite he had to deal with from the OF players who were totally out of order... and not one of those players has done anything of note since then either... where is Boyd now?!

Burley was treated terribly by a lot of people at the SFA... spineless bunch of *****.

The players did get hearts into the CL qualifiers and won the SC... but do not forget the man who put that team together... we would have won the league had he stayed... those guys played for him and believed in him.

We`ll never know if true or not, but one thing for sure we would have needed to have done it the hard way, as refs certainly didn`t help us namely the Takis incident versus Celtic, sent off then red card amended to a booking, but still a loss of an important 3 points when it mattered for us while we were still challenging at the top of the league.

And nothing to do with not getting right first time the legal/contractual aspects relating to the termination?

We`ll never know if true or not, but one thing for sure we would have needed to have done it the hard way, as refs certainly didn`t help us namely the Takis incident versus Celtic, sent off then red card amended to a booking, but still a loss of an important 3 points when it mattered for us while we were still challenging at the top of the league.

When asked if we could have won the league on JKB this is the one that is always thrown up as "why the GFA wouldn't let us win the league" one decision,one,christ on a bloody bike,other teams,including the OF get well dodgy decisions against them every season,IT'S FOOTBALL,get over it.

IMO we would have stood a better chance of winning the league if George Burley had been left alone to do his job his way,he had a right good team and with a few tweaks and signings he wanted,might have been one of the greatest,who knows though,we'll never know.

Yes GB was a good manager but what a lot off people don't know or the ones who do seem to forget is that the day he got sacked he was found steaming lying in the gutter on George Street after getting kicked out off a night club at 2am.

I know this as fact as I worked on the door of the club he was kicked out off and when I left at half 3 he was still in the gutter with a bunch of hobos laughing at him.

How could a manager expect his players not to go out bevvying when he done it himself regularly.

Bungalow Bill

George Burley ??

Is this the guy that's been a failure at most of the clubs (and national teams) he's managed ?

Who cares what his record was like at other clubs. Get your head out of the sand he was a good manager for us.

Yes GB was a good manager but what a lot off people don't know or the ones who do seem to forget is that the day he got sacked he was found steaming lying in the gutter on George Street after getting kicked out off a night club at 2am.

I know this as fact as I worked on the door of the club he was kicked out off and when I left at half 3 he was still in the gutter with a bunch of hobos laughing at him.

How could a manager expect his players not to go out bevvying when he done it himself regularly.

Oh dear,so you are telling EVERYONE that George Burley,manager of Heart of Midlothian got p1shed,thrown out of a night club,lying in the gutter,a bunch of hibs supporters in close attendance and yet not one of the media picked this up AND not one person took a photo on their mobile,dear dear deary me.

PabloJambo

Burley was the guy that got a team together and made them play.

One person who I think is forgotten however is Phil Anderton. It was another joke that he was sacked. Speaking for someone who works in marketing and comms, the guy was doing a tremedous job and it really felt like Hearts were on the road to something very very special.

Ah well, at least we are still here, won the cup and are (hopefully) in Europe next season.

Denny Crane

Oh dear,so you are telling EVERYONE that George Burley,manager of Heart of Midlothian got p1shed,thrown out of a night club,lying in the gutter,a bunch of hibs supporters in close attendance and yet not one of the media picked this up AND not one person took a photo on their mobile,dear dear deary me.

Ewing Grahame in the Daily Telegraph reported later on that Burley was offered counseling by the club for his alcohol habit which he rejected. Matters would soon spiral from that.

gorgie rd eh11

When asked if we could have won the league on JKB this is the one that is always thrown up as "why the GFA wouldn't let us win the league" one decision,one,christ on a bloody bike,other teams,including the OF get well dodgy decisions against them every season,IT'S FOOTBALL,get over it.

IMO we would have stood a better chance of winning the league if George Burley had been left alone to do his job his way,he had a right good team and with a few tweaks and signings he wanted,might have been one of the greatest,who knows though,we'll never know.

Still kissing the sfa a*se rudi. The old firm get away with murder every season. IT'S SCOTTISH FOOTBALL, get over it.

Harry Palmer

If only we hadn't sacked Rix we might have made the Champions League..... :thumbsup:

siegementality

I will always be grateful to George Burley for his short and very successful stint in charge, nobody would have lived with us that season and we would have won the SPL if he had been allowed to stay and do the job his way, the way he was treated by the 'Egotistic Mad One' will never be forgotten as far as I am concerned, ever.....

I concur!

Denny Crane

It is noticeable Phil does not discuss his budgetary failings in that article. He and Foulkes remember were happy to carry on before Romanov sacked Anderton 10 days afterwards. These 'men of principle' would surely have resigned the minute they heard Burley had departed. Wouldn't they? :rolleyes:

Broxburn Jambo

Is it not also the guy who did an incredible job at Hearts and gave some of us one of our most enjoyable times as Hearts fans?

No you are confusing him with Jim Jeffries, Tommy Walker,

THEY WON TROPHIES

Francis Albert

No you are confusing him with Jim Jeffries, Tommy Walker,

THEY WON TROPHIES

Not to mention Valdas Ivanauskas!

How come the people who think Burley was a drunk never actually say "he was a drunk"?

How come the people who think Burley was a drunk never actually say "he was a drunk"?

Burley IS a drunk

The same media who also launched a vitriolic campaign to eject him from the Scotland job and danced a jig when they succeeded. But do go on.....

Yep. The very same media. Wouldn't be the first time the media turned on a manager. Burley went against a lot of old firm players and Rangers captain so there was only one side the media would take.

See Le Guen, Paul.

It is noticeable Phil does not discuss his budgetary failings in that article. He and Foulkes remember were happy to carry on before Romanov sacked Anderton 10 days afterwards. These 'men of principle' would surely have resigned the minute they heard Burley had departed. Wouldn't they? :rolleyes:

Your kidding right? Sorry but have you seen how much money we have squandered on various players and projects in the years since Burley and Anderton left?

Anderton was part of the team that brought the feel good factor back to the club, helped selling out our ground and enhanced the match day experience. If he did go over a budget then it's obviously not the best work but since so much money has been squandered and it's taken until JJ to come back for the feel good factor to come back to an extent.

Phil Anderton was extremely good at his job for us, he also brought us a lot of GOOD publicity. Like calling Burley a drunk and a failure everywhere else people just want to cling on to any kind of excuse to punt them at all. Much rather have him there than someone who does nothing and rather have Burley there spending money on the likes of Rudi than skooshing ?? on the likes of Nade and Obua.

Drylaw Hearts

Ooooh..........that one's in my Top 5 favourite myths concerning Hearts/Burley/Anderton.

The other was Burley being sacked for taking a bung upon signing Julien Brellier.

The Treasurer

Who cares what his record was like at other clubs. Get your head out of the sand he was a good manager for us.

Our run of results this season is as good if not better (I'll leave the exact stats to some anorak) with a team that cost a fraction of what Burley had at his disposal.

If anyone is coming in to manage Hearts I think their record at other clubs DOES matter a great deal.

If the choice was between (for arguments sake) Magoo and Pa Broon would you not want to see how successful or competent they were in previous managerial roles and then base your choice on that ?

Drylaw Hearts

Our run of results this season is as good if not better (I'll leave the exact stats to some anorak) with a team that cost a fraction of what Burley had at his disposal.

If anyone is coming in to manage Hearts I think their record at other clubs DOES matter a great deal.

If the choice was between (for arguments sake) Magoo and Pa Broon would you not want to see how successful or competent they were in previous managerial roles and then base your choice on that ?

You must have been gutted when Burley was appointed as Manager.

Or is your view distorted on his career stats since ?

Hmmm.....I'm going to plump for the latter.

Spellczech

Problem I had with Burley was that although he did a sterling job he just never seemed too committed to the club. Indeed I've never heard a manager purposefully avoid sounding committed to his role as much as Burley did when he was Hearts manager. I found it odd, and more than a little disconcerting.

Drylaw Hearts

Problem I had with Burley was that although he did a sterling job he just never seemed too committed to the club. Indeed I've never heard a manager purposefully avoid sounding committed to his role as much as Burley did when he was Hearts manager. I found it odd, and more than a little disconcerting.

I honestly can't say I even noticed that he didn't appear that committed when he was appointed.

Clerry Jambo

What did you want Burley to do to show he was committed to Heart of Midlothian?

Here was a man that had our club playing some of the best football in its history and yet he is still questioned, yet the maniac upstairs can still do no wrong.

Absolutely amazing :woot:

Francis Albert

Here was a man that had our club playing some of the best football in its history and yet he is still questioned, yet the maniac upstairs can still do no wrong.

Has anyone EVER said that?

As others have said even Vlad himself hasn't gone that far.

Clerry Jambo

Has anyone EVER said that?

As others have said even Vlad himself hasn't gone that far.

Yes FA, watch yir back they are out there :lol:

The Treasurer

Perhaps you should read my earlier post (#24 I think) before "plumping" for the wrong conclusion

Francis Albert

Yes FA, watch yir back they are out there :lol:

Of course sacking Burley was one of many insane acts by the maniac upstairs

But you said Burley had us playing some of our best football ever? Do you think that the maniac upstairs giving him Hearts biggest ever budget for players had anything to do with it?

But it was he who made it all happen..... :whistling:

super_vlad

jesus, 5 years on and people are still going on about this piss, give it a fecking rest ! Let me sum it up

George Burley : Good Guy ?. but he left

Phil anderton : Good Guy ?? but he left

George Foulkes : Good Guy ?? no longer involved in the board

Vladmir Romanov : STILL HERE KEEPING HMFC ALIVE !

Link? Proof?

Cheers.

Seen it with my own eyes thats all the proof I need!

Archived