George Burley

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Did anyone else hear his interview on Talksport yesterday morning? When asked directly why he left Hearts he squirmed for a few seconds then replied with words to the effect of "Its really hard to continue working at a club when your Russian Chairman is thrusting players upon you, that you no nothing about or don't necessarily rate. But that's gonna be the way of it for more and more clubs nowadays."

Must be the first time I've heard him allude to the reasons why, maybe his confidentiality agreement has come to an end.

Spellczech

Did anyone else hear his interview on Talksport yesterday morning? When asked directly why he left Hearts he squirmed for a few seconds then replied with words to the effect of "Its really hard to continue working at a club when your Russian Chairman is thrusting players upon you, that you no nothing about or don't necessarily rate. But that's gonna be the way of it for more and more clubs nowadays."

Must be the first time I've heard him allude to the reasons why, maybe his confidentiality agreement has come to an end.

Does it matter anymore? I think we all know Burley wanted to be an old style British manager and Vlad wanted to be the one buying the players...

The Treasurer

George Burley ??

Is this the guy that's been a failure at most of the clubs (and national teams) he's managed ?

George Burley ??

Is this the guy that's been a failure at most of the clubs (and national teams) he's managed ?

Apart from ours which is the most important one and gave us the best time at Tynie for a very long time. :rolleyes:

Apart from ours which is the most important one and gave us the best time at Tynie for a very long time. :rolleyes:

agreed!, probably the best 2 months of my life!, funny how u spring out of bed when your teams flying!!

mahgrassyshoes

George Burley ??

Bit harsh. He did well with us, although some will say it was impossible not to, his predecesors never managed to get the level of consistency he did. He also gave Ipswich their best spell of recent years.

Scotland was a disaster and I'm not familiar with any of the rest of his career.

Edit: He was pretty gash at Southampton too. Maybe I'm wrong.:ermm:

George Burley ??

Is it not also the guy who did an incredible job at Hearts and gave some of us one of our most enjoyable times as Hearts fans?

Is it not also the guy who did an incredible job at Hearts and gave some of us one of our most enjoyable times as Hearts fans?

Was that with the players his Russian owner had foisted on him?

Was that with the players his Russian owner had foisted on him?

Great. This is now a Vlad debate. His successors didn't seem to do as well with the same set of players.

super_vlad

Great. This is now a Vlad debate. His successors didn't seem to do as well with the same set of players.

I hold no resentment towards Burley what so ever, he did a really good job for the 6 months he was here, how it would have ended no-one knows. I honestly believed that there was no way in the world the sfa would have let us win the spl, look at the decisions that went against us, with most of the ref's favouring one half of the OF they gave as nothing. We also had a really good set of players at the time, probably talent wise the best we have seen, rudi himself was a big miss in the next season and players like takis and janny it was one season too many i thought. How things could have being so different if we had appointed JJ instead of Burley, i think JJ has shown he can deal with Vlad alot better than most managers.

That'll be the same George Burley that took Ipswick to Europe and got FA manager of the year in the process

Can you all remember how stunned and gutted you were when you heard he got sacked? It is like a JFK moment...."what were you doing when you heard Burley got sacked??".

I mind setting off for the pub and my phone going off the hook.....answered it to which one of my mates (who is a (vic)Tim) said "Burley has been sacked!!". My reaction "Aye right then, **** off!". Only to then switch on the radio and have the news confirmed. Was utterely stunned.

As usual with Hearts, a case of what could have/should have been.

The Treasurer

That'll be the same George Burley that took Ipswick to Europe and got FA manager of the year in the process

Yep. the same one that had Palace bottom of the league and made Scotland an even bigger joke that they already were

The Treasurer

They got us into the CL qualifiers and won the Cup

Dunk-Section G

Burley was the guy that got a team together and made them play.

One person who I think is forgotten however is Phil Anderton. It was another joke that he was sacked. Speaking for someone who works in marketing and comms, the guy was doing a tremedous job and it really felt like Hearts were on the road to something very very special.

Ah well, at least we are still here, won the cup and are (hopefully) in Europe next season.

I will always be grateful to George Burley for his short and very successful stint in charge, nobody would have lived with us that season and we would have won the SPL if he had been allowed to stay and do the job his way, the way he was treated by the 'Egotistic Mad One' will never be forgotten as far as I am concerned, ever.....

Yep. the same one that had Palace bottom of the league and made Scotland an even bigger joke that they already were

Did you still think he was crap when he had us flying high in the league?

Burley would have been a success with Scotland had it not been for the amount of shite he had to deal with from the OF players who were totally out of order... and not one of those players has done anything of note since then either... where is Boyd now?!

Burley was treated terribly by a lot of people at the SFA... spineless bunch of *****.

The players did get hearts into the CL qualifiers and won the SC... but do not forget the man who put that team together... we would have won the league had he stayed... those guys played for him and believed in him.

Do you think Rix did a good job with the players he had? I maintain that he didn't. He wasn't awful but I think we could have been a lot better. I also still blame him for us not thrashing Hibs the day we won 4-1. :(

The Treasurer

Do you think Rix did a good job with the players he had? I maintain that he didn't. He wasn't awful but I think we could have been a lot better. I also still blame him for us not thrashing Hibs the day we won 4-1. :(

Rix proved that it didn't need a good manager to be successful with the squad of players that we had.

Some of which were brought in by Burley some of which were brought in by Mr Romanov, ALL of which were financed by Mr Romanov.

The Merse

We gained 26 pts in 10 games under Burley.

We then picked up 46 pts in the following 28 games.

Averaged 2.6 pts per game under Burley and 1.6 pts for his successors.

Burley gained us 36% of our points towards CL qualification in just over quarter of the season.

Edit: Should add that taking the latter pts average would have seen us finish on 60 pts.

Less than we have this season, and less than we had under two season with Craig Levein in charge with a far inferior side.

The Treasurer

Did you still think he was crap when he had us flying high in the league?

Burley would have been a success with Scotland had it not been for the amount of shite he had to deal with from the OF players who were totally out of order... and not one of those players has done anything of note since then either... where is Boyd now?!

Burley was treated terribly by a lot of people at the SFA... spineless bunch of *****.

The players did get hearts into the CL qualifiers and won the SC... but do not forget the man who put that team together... we would have won the league had he stayed... those guys played for him and believed in him.

See my post replying to Stanley.

Burley's time with Scotland proved that he wasn't a strong manager and failed to command the respect of ALL his players

George Burley ??

Bet you didn`t say that when he came to Hearts? Up til then he had a very good rep and was reasonably successful given the clubs he`d been in charge of.

Get Mixu in.

The Treasurer

Bet you didn`t say that when he came to Hearts? Up til then he had a very good rep and was reasonably successful given the clubs he`d been in charge of.

Get Mixu in.

At the time I wasn't unhappy at his appointment, I wasn't overly excited by it either.

The success we had that season was down to having the most expensive squad ever seen at Tynecastle, not who was in charge of them

In fairness, some members of that squad were brought in by Burley as I have already acknowledged.

See my post replying to Stanley.

Burley's time with Scotland proved that he wasn't a strong manager and failed to command the respect of ALL his players

Not at all.

It showed that the OF players (especially Boyd) got away with murder and had no respect for the man, caused trouble within the squad and ultimately failed their country.

It also showed that the SFA and in particular Gordon Smith hadn't the balls to back their manager against the OF players who caused the majority of the unrest within the Scotland camp.

If the Scotland squad at the time were made up of true professional football players and not OF lager louts then this would never have happened. Burley was on a hiding to nothing with that team... the old gaurd of Rankgers players should have been binned from the start of his tenure.

Burley and Scotland deserved better.

The Treasurer

Not at all.

It showed that the OF players (especially Boyd) got away with murder and had no respect for the man, caused trouble within the squad and ultimately failed their country.

It also showed that the SFA and in particular Gordon Smith hadn't the balls to back their manager against the OF players who caused the majority of the unrest within the Scotland camp.

If the Scotland squad at the time were made up of true professional football players and not OF lager louts then this would never have happened. Burley was on a hiding to nothing with that team... the old gaurd of Rankgers players should have been binned from the start of his tenure.

Burley and Scotland deserved better.

All this just confirms that Burley was not a strong or shrewd enough manager to get the respect of his squad. *

Levein has more or less the same squad with a few in and a few out but he doesn't seem to have the same problems with regards to discipline and getting the players to play for him.

* I do agree that the behaviour of players like Boyd etc was a disgrace regardless of who was in charge

rossthejambo

The sacking of Burley was the worst thing to happen to Hearts.

What? Worst thing ever? :blink:

While I was disappointed at his departure and the way it happened his career does not appear to show sustained success anywhere. What's done is done and as the initial post suggests things have changed at many clubs. Anyone who is completely convinced that we would have gone on to win the league had Burley stayed has not been watching Scottish football for long. Far too little evidence to support the opinion still stated as fact by some.

Denny Crane

And the rest Mr Burley. Out with it! Spiers' line on Scotsport the Monday after you ("Let's assume that George Burley is not entirely innocent here") left spoke volumes (given how it ended at Ipswich and Derby).

Valentine Jambo

The George Burley a fair amount of us would take back in a heartbeat. :thumbsup:

Francis Albert

1914 maybe ran it close.

And of course we sacked Tommy Walker after he had won almost as many trophies as Burley did games.

Still, it's difficult to maintain perspective on Burley. As this season showed a streak of 10 or 11 games doesn't necessarily tell the whole story, and the presumption that we would have maintained that sort of run is debatable to say the least.

I struggle to understand how any Hearts fan couldn't have a high opinion of Burley. That's the one thing that surprises me with these threads.

I couldn't care less what he's done since. He was great at Hearts.

speedbump

maybe he no longer remembers signing the confidentiality agreement. :ninja:

alcoholic.jpg

Buffalo Bill

Although ultimate responsibility must lie with Vladimir Romanov, I still think Burley was in part to blame for the breakdown of the relationship between the two. I have no doubt that Burley was a real stubborn ass; the immovable object to Romanov's unstoppable force.

The biggest mystery of all was the time he spent in Kaunas before becoming manager. WTF did these two discuss? It certainly wasn't boundaries. It was such a shame, a pity, a wasted oppertunity.

Of course in the end, he wasn't immovable, but he was removeable.

Hearts Heritage

Compared to

1914-15

The financial mismanagement in the 1970s

The financial mismanagement of the 2000s

?????

speedbump

Compared to

1914-15

The financial mismanagement in the 1970s

The financial mismanagement of the 2000s

?????

Come on anything pre 1990 didn't happen to most so called football fans..........................

it wasn't even the worst thing to happen to Hearts that season.

Hearts Heritage

When GB was sacked Hearts were only 3 points in front of Celtic

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/200510151.html#TableBefore

In those first set of 10 league games Hearts had the element of surprise in that no one had seen players like Fyssas, Skacel and Jani.

Second time round it was always going to be that much more difficult.

Even out of the first 8 winning games

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/sea/2005-06.html#Results

Hearts were overrun by Dundee United when winning by two early goals.

Motherwell would have drawn 2-2 if not for a wonder Craig Gordon save in the 93rd minute.

Inverness would have equalised if their forward hadn't kicked in the goal bound shot from a yard out when offside.

So anybody thinking we would have definitely won the league in 2006 ....

Diddums to him

It must've been tough having the following players 'thrust' upon you

Bednar

Jankauskas

Tall

Pospisil

skacel

Fyssas

Brellier

I was in Dublin watching Weir & Wyness run about doing nowt, Jamie McAllister getting pelters for mouthing off to a female linesman and no Andy Webster.

It looked like it was going to be a long season battling relegation tbh.

Burley brought the fans flocking back to Tynie, you know the glory hunting ones that would normally only turn out for a final at Hampden or a victory parade along Princes Street.

Was a cracking time to be a Hearts fan.

Chris Benoit

I wish people would stop using facts to back up their arguments on here you're starting to drag us up to your level :ninja:

rossthejambo

Diddums to him

It must've been tough having the following players 'thrust' upon you

Bednar

Jankauskas

Tall

Pospisil

skacel

Fyssas

Brellier

Think, out of the one's you've listed only these 3 were Vlad signings but I agree with your point.

ToadKiller Dog

Burley will forever be a big what if question . Clear that he is still Saint George to some but i am not so sure that he would have done any better than those who followed come the seasons end ,that seasons major turning point was the fake red card for Fysas at the new year game allowing the smelly win .

Think, out of the one's you've listed only these 3 were Vlad signings but I agree with your point.

I honestly can't remember Rossco it was so long ago.

what I am certain of is Burley never had it so good at any club as manager

The shit players he talks about i assume are the Cammazzolas etc but they barely touched a ball

speedbump

I honestly can't remember Rossco it was so long ago.

what I am certain of is Burley never had it so good at any club as manager

The shit players he talks about i assume are the Cammazzolas etc but they barely touched a ball

He done a decent job giving Rudi and Hartely license to roam and score goals.

It's one of the questions/statements I hate getting asked most as a Hearts fan- 'What if Burley had stayed eh, you'd have won the league' that's where I switch off completely.

'Didnt we have a nice time, wasnt it such a good time'

Burley will forever be a big what if question . Clear that he is still Saint George to some but i am not so sure that he would have done any better than those who followed come the seasons end ,that seasons major turning point was the fake red card for Fysas at the new year game allowing the smelly win .

I don't think we would have lost that game under Burley. I dont think we would have lost at Easter Road under Burley.

Burley had the players behind him, they played for him. He had the support behind him, we believed. He had the media behind him - they turned on the club when Burley left.

Romanov sacking Burley is the worst mistake he has made in miles during his tenure at the club. I think he seen the start Burley made and thought winning the SPL was going to be a lot easier than anticipated, this was mainly down to the huns being so shite that season. When he realized this wasn't the case and added to that the press who hated him after sacking Burley and then going against Elvis Hartley and Gordon he stopped investing as much and it looks like the dream for both us and him is gone.

Burley gave us an amazing time the first few months. The win at Killie & hammering Hibs the highlights for me.

I'm certain by some people's postings on the events that it doesn't matter what manager is sacked be in Burley, Csaba or even JJ in the future Romanov will always get the backing of some no matter what the reasons are. That's fair do's he saved us after all but try not and take away achievements the different managers at different times had.

Clerry Jambo

I don't think we would have lost that game under Burley. I dont think we would have lost at Easter Road under Burley.

Burley had the players behind him, they played for him. He had the support behind him, we believed. He had the media behind him - they turned on the club when Burley left.

Romanov sacking Burley is the worst mistake he has made in miles during his tenure at the club. I think he seen the start Burley made and thought winning the SPL was going to be a lot easier than anticipated, this was mainly down to the huns being so shite that season. When he realized this wasn't the case and added to that the press who hated him after sacking Burley and then going against Elvis Hartley and Gordon he stopped investing as much and it looks like the dream for both us and him is gone.

Burley gave us an amazing time the first few months. The win at Killie & hammering Hibs the highlights for me.

I'm certain by some people's postings on the events that it doesn't matter what manager is sacked be in Burley, Csaba or even JJ in the future Romanov will always get the backing of some no matter what the reasons are. That's fair do's he saved us after all but try not and take away achievements the different managers at different times had.

What a post Sir :thumbsup:

Archived