Referees v Old Firm

CavySlaveJambo

CavySlaveJambo

Not that good news

v Rangers it is Iain Brines

v Celtic it is Craig Thomson.

Boomstick

Craig Thomson was the referee the last time we played Celtic at Tynecastle.

IMO he's the best ref in the SPL.

on this ocassion Brines might give us everything, Thomson is a good ref

Coburg Hearts

Not that good news

v Rangers it is Iain Brines

v Celtic it is Craig Thomson.

Any chance of getting anything from Ibrox has vanished. It must be more than coincidence that we get him so often and I just wish Hearts would fight their corner regarding this.

1874robbo

Definitely putting some cash on a hearts sending off and rangers penalty or two at ibrox then.

Brines is the worst referee in the SPL by a mile. And he does seem to have an issue with Hearts - but maybe I am paranoid on that point.

I actually really rate Craig Thomson, he might make mistakes but he is generally a good referee and I have never doubted his integrity, unlike other SPL referees....

Coburg Hearts

Brines is the worst referee in the SPL by a mile. And he does seem to have an issue with Hearts - but maybe I am paranoid on that point.

I actually really rate Craig Thomson, he might make mistakes but he is generally a good referee and I have never doubted his integrity, unlike other SPL referees....

If brines had to "referee" one of those two games then I'm glad he's at Ibrox. It would have rubbed salt in the wound had he been in charge for the celtic game.

Had a feeling Brines would get one of the two. Quite glad it's the rangers one though because the Celtic game is one I think we could get something out of

You're not paranoid, you're correct. On both points.

Brines GTF :angry:

jamboruss

Brines is an arrogant, condescending, supercilious, contemptuous, partonising, self indulgent, cheating ******!

wright1989

It's no coincidence CT gets to ref big games in europe.

Brines: Well, break a leg you son of a bitch.

gorgie_rebel

Brines is an arrogant, condescending, supercilious, contemptuous, partonising, self indulgent, cheating ******!

Was going to add to this....but can't. 100% Correct.

Not too upset with Thomson though I think he's been pretty fair any time he's refereed our games

jamboruss

Was going to add to this....but can't. 100% Correct.

Not too upset with Thomson though I think he's been pretty fair any time he's refereed our games

Agreed, Thomson is the best of a (very) bad bunch!

The Old Tolbooth

Bingo! :thumbsup:

Has Houston told the press what the Refs Supremo said to him yet when he phoned him up about Brines display at Parkhead at the weekend??

I actually don't think he's corrupt, just an truly awful referee who is never ever in the right position to make a decision, so he guesses.

He must know where the bodies are buried to still be a Grade 1 ref.

Worst ref I have ever seen.

SectionDJambo

At least the Rangers players, like Naismith, shouldn't be busting a gut to get any Hearts players sent off by Brines this time. That would weaken our team for the match with Celtic. They may be thinking that us taking something from Celtic is probably their best chance of them dropping points.

Last season, Eggert was sent off, by Brines, when he gave them a penalty when Naismith just launched himself towards a ball he knew he wasn't reaching. Maybe "on another day" he wouldn't have been sent off.

The Treasurer

Agreed, Thomson is the best of a (very) bad bunch!

Thomson went way down in my estimation after he failed to report Bougerra (sp?) for man-handling him when he sent him off.

He's now the same OF lap dog as the rest IMO

As for Brines, I'm not so sure he cheats as such but he's arrogant and incompetent and clearly seems to have a chip on his shoulder when it comes to Hearts

Spellczech

Can't think of a time Thomson has done anything I've perceived as dodgy against us. Also can't think of a game where Brines hasn't made a dodgy decision that's made him the focus of attention. Opposite ends of the spectrum these two...

We_are_the_Hearts

Thomson went way down in my estimation after he failed to report Bougerra (sp?) for man-handling him when he sent him off.He's now the same OF lap dog as the rest IMO

As for Brines, I'm not so sure he cheats as such but he's arrogant and incompetent and clearly seems to have a chip on his shoulder when it comes to Hearts

Was that not Calum Murray?

We_are_the_Hearts

Brines and MacDonald are/were cheats when it came to us. Most of the rest are just poor/incompetent. Thomson and Murray are our best 2 refs.

I started a thread which got lost in the aftermath of the Hibs game (got lost or people seen that it was me who started it!) saying that I really hoped Hearts were speaking the SPL re Brines.

We could fill a DVD with bad decisions and non-acceptance of said he's made against us.

In the last month or so alone, he's failed to give is a penalty and send off an opposition player in games versus Hibs and Dundee United. All were easy and clear decisions. Both sendings off were straight reds (Goodwillie off the ball barge/elbow and Martin Scott's ankle breaker on Blackie) - he saw both incidents and only gave yellows. If he saw them enough to caution, it had to be red.

In both games, both incidents occured at nil-nil. If he'd called them correctly, we'd have won both games and we'd be coasting into Europe, resting injured players and blooding laddies.

No conspiracy here, but I'd love to think that Hearts are quietly having a word (no Celticesque histrionics) with the SPL to point out this man's negligence.

Coburg Hearts

I started a thread which got lost in the aftermath of the Hibs game (got lost or people seen that it was me who started it!) saying that I really hoped Hearts were speaking the SPL re Brines.

No conspiracy here, but I'd love to think that Hearts are quietly having a word (no Celticesque histrionics) with the SPL to point out this man's negligence.

I remember someone writing that Hearts should question the SPL re Brines.

It was also what I was alluding to in my earlier post that I wish Hearts would fight their corner. I would hate to think that Hearts are accepting of the shaftings that this particular ref gives us. Enough is enough, surely?

I remember someone writing that Hearts should question the SPL re Brines.

It was also what I was alluding to in my earlier post that I wish Hearts would fight their corner. I would hate to think that Hearts are accepting of the shaftings that this particular ref gives us. Enough is enough, surely?

You'd hope.

I like to think that clubs do go about business in a professional manner and that's why we don't hear about it, but who knows.

The manager fills in a ref's assessment type thing each week and maybe the clubs see this as enough. It is game by game I suppose but when someone is this inept over a period of time, it isn't. And you just know these forms get filed under B somewhere deep in the SPL offices. Be as well writing them right onto andrex probably.

The SFA/SPL have surely got to be looking at reffing standards and procedures along with any reconstruction? Sharely to goodness!?

It was.

Craig Thomson went down in my estimation for not reporting Calum Murray for not reporting Majid Boughera, who in turn should probably have handed himself in along with a report on Craig Thomson.

The whole thing's a mess.

The Treasurer

Was that not Calum Murray?

You're right

Note to self.

When posting early in the morning, try thinking first teehee.gif

The Treasurer went down in my estimation for giving a decision against Thomson when it was actually Murray that had committed the transgression

Billy the Jambo

Can't think of a time Thomson has done anything I've perceived as dodgy against us. Also can't think of a game where Brines hasn't made a dodgy decision that's made him the focus of attention. Opposite ends of the spectrum these two...

Was Thomson not the ref against Rangers when he gave a penalty in last minute against us when the offence was clearly outside the box

rossthejambo

Not too fussed about Thomson, he's not that bad.

Brines on the other hand, don't understand the chat about us getting stuff from him because it's against Rangers. He's not biased towards Celtic, he's just shite. The sooner that arrogant arsehole is out of the refereeing business the better.

The Treasurer

The Treasurer went down in my estimation for giving a decision against Thomson when it was actually Murray that had committed the transgression

How far down in your estimation though ?

I demand clarification

The Merse

Not too fussed about Thomson, he's not that bad.

Brines on the other hand, don't understand the chat about us getting stuff from him because it's against Rangers. He's not biased towards Celtic, he's just shite. The sooner that arrogant arsehole is out of the refereeing business the better.

We've had him at Ibrox before at least once and he was atrocious.

The Treasurer

Apart from Brines (obviously because he's so bad) I don't think it will make much difference who is refereeing any game involving the OF from now until the end of the season as none of them will have the balls to call a decision against either of them that could end up costing them the title.

rossthejambo

We've had him at Ibrox before at least once and he was atrocious.

I was thinking the same thing myself but wasn't 100% sure, was that the game where Miko was sent off 10 minutes after coming on the field or was that the other welt McCurry?

Was Thomson not the ref against Rangers when he gave a penalty in last minute against us when the offence was clearly outside the box

He was

We_are_the_Hearts

He was

To be fair he did send Kevin Thomson off for a challenge that looked no more than a booking in that game!!

To be fair he did send Kevin Thomson off for a challenge that looked no more than a booking in that game!!

A ref can only base his decisions on what he can see from the angles he has.

Thomson's on Black looked a shocker, and since then players are still getting sent off for similar tackles. (Apart from Scott/Brines)

Re Naismith, the cheating wee ****** chucked himself well into the box. The linesman had the best view to intimate to the ref what the decision should be. He should be the beneficiary of our venom.

A ref can only base his decisions on what he can see from the angles he has.

Thomson's on Black looked a shocker, and since then players are still getting sent off for similar tackles. (Apart from Scott/Brines)

Re Naismith, the cheating wee ****** chucked himself well into the box. The linesman had the best view to intimate to the ref what the decision should be. He should be the beneficiary of our venom.

Totally. Thomson's was a red every day of the week. He made no attempt at the ball whatsoever and could have seriously injured Black. Remember Uncle Wattie at the time saying it wasn't a sending off cos Black's leg wasn't broken!

Someone mentioned above the Miko sending off. That was another disgrace. 1st booking was for diving when he was fouled a mile - basically booked for being Miko. Second one was probably border-line yellow but no malice in the challenge. I remember two minutes later Kenny Miller committed the exact same foul and wasn't booked. Earlier in the same game, McCulloch I think it was went into a shocker of a challenge on maybe Mikey Stewart (Im getting old, forget who!) and a foul wasn't even given.

Thinking about refs v Old Firm duzny half grind my gears!

colinmaroon

Had a feeling Brines would get one of the two. Quite glad it's the rangers one though because the Celtic game is one I think we could get something out of

Key Hearts player to be sent off at Ibrox!!!

Double whammy!

Weakens us in the game PLUS he'll miss the Celtic game!!!

No! Sorry! I'm wrong!

Make that 2 key players sent off!

Diadora Van Basten

Brines is like a one goal start to the old firm. I didn't sleep after the Celtic 3 2 defeat when he sent off takis fyssas such was my annoyance at some of his decisions.

Also his refusal to rescind zals red card after tv pictures showed it was miller that head butted zal rather than the other way round.

I think rangers must be delighted that he is the ref and there only worry is that he may weaken us by suspending our players for the Celtic match.

anybody in any doubt about how bad a ref brines is take a look at at the israel's tackle on conway in last sundays game at darkhead."on another day it could have been a yellow card" i think was one quote attributed to him.its a yellow card every single day of the week,take a look its jawdroppingly bad.................

Archived