If united beat the old firm are we stuffed?

cardboardcutout

cardboardcutout

If dundee utd manage to beat either of the old firm or draw with both i think they will finish third as we have developed a very soft centre just when we should be solid!

How negative an impact would our collapse have on JJ as boss and our plans for new faces??

siegementality

If dundee utd manage to beat either of the old firm or draw with both i think they will finish third as we have developed a very soft centre just when we should be solid!

How negative an impact would our collapse have on JJ as boss and our plans for new faces??

learn to count.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Ooooooh, bites nails!

There is no reason why we couldn't go to Tannadice on the last day and get a result if we needed it...

...which we won't need to worry about.

They need to beat 1 drawing is not good enough after today as that would only give them 8 points and we have something like 11+ goal difference on them.

Templeton'sUnderpants

They need to beat 1 drawing is not good enough after today as that would only give them 8 points and we have something like 11+ goal difference on them.

If we lose every game and they get 2 wins and 2 draws the goal difference will be close. I don't think we will lose every game anyway though.

soft centre? away and fling pish.

we're unbeaten in the last six games and regularly come from behind to take points.

pish.

cardboardcutout

learn to count.

3+3+3=9 or 1+1+3+3=8 obviously we would be losing goals with our defeats and united gaining so our goal difference would be wiped out! thats counting correctly i presume?

How much faith would you have in our defence against united at tannadice??

Even if we do get there we have finished so far behind the old firm it feels hollow as i dont rate them!

If we lose every game and they get 2 wins and 2 draws the goal difference will be close. I don't think we will lose every game anyway though.

Big ifs and buts if you ask me.What they going to hammer us and Motherwell and then we will be hammered by Rangers and Celtic but somehow Utd will get two draws.

I hope we have it sorted before the last game of the season cause I can't see us getting nowt at Tannadice.

What I would say though is we are certainly giving Utd more and more belief that they can get third.Celtic might just be very nervy tomorrow with Rangers winning today so although I don't think they will catch us you never know.

Nucky Thompson

Our point today has clinched it. When Celtic stuff United tomorrow it will be 8 points with 3 games left meaning United will now have to beat Rangers. If we had lost today it would have been 7 points and had we lost heavyly in our last 3 games and United had won convincinly in two they might only have needed a point in their game against Rangers.

Vlad-Stupid

If my drunken calculations are right, Cundt need to win 3 more games than us to clinch 3rd :smuggy:

If my calcs are wrong weve probs still done enough today :smuggy:

Ps. 3rd is done. :smuggy:

Were talking on Friday Night Football last night about our poor preformances and said that players need something to aim for and when our goal stuck at third the players lost motivation.

Just like I said.

hearts_crazy

Can I just point out to you lily livered drama queens that since they beat us in March 16th the mighty, all conquering team that we are soooooooo terrified of have gained a whopping four points, that's in six games, now we are EXPECTING them to pull back twice as many points in only four games, including both halves of the OF AWAY. Get a ******* grip eh. Celtic will put paid to their feeble resistance tomorrow.

Also I really do think we ourselves will get something off one of the gruesomes, we do tend to raise our game against them.

If they beat celtic it will make it a great end to this season from 1st to 4th,christ it could all come down to the last day,now it's not great for us but by feck it would certainly give Scottish football a boost.

I'm not going to change my standpoint from recently of:

We'll definitely get third place. Guaranteed.

Whilst I can't wait for this season to finally end, a draw today wasn't a bad result in terms of getting third place. United will not catch us.

ToadKiller Dog

United still to play Murderwell ,they always struggle against them . United may get something at Ibrox they seem to perform against the Uglies . They wont catch us ,we are capable of a result also at home v celtic .

Ooooooh, bites nails!

There is no reason why we couldn't go to Tannadice on the last day and get a result if we needed it...

...which we won't need to worry about.

We have heard for weeks now that this'll happen, that'll happen then it doesn't. Perfect example was a couple of weeks ago we heard "we'll beat M'well and everything'll be hunkydory", last week it "stop worrying about the draw with 'well, we'll beat Killie on Saturday" I said with two games left BEFORE the split that i could'nt see where our next 3 points were coming from, we've blown two chances to put that right, now we've got the oldsquirm coming up. I know Utd have aswell but if i was a betting man, i'd fancy them more to pick a win up out of the two of us, it's unlikely they will but still, i said last week that i really do not fancy having to go to Tannadice on the last day of the season to pick something up given our recent results up there over the last few years and even more so considering our form in the last two months or so. Sooner the season's over the better.

hearts_crazy

We have heard for weeks now that this'll happen, that'll happen then it doesn't. Perfect example was a couple of weeks ago we heard "we'll beat M'well and everything'll be hunkydory", last week it "stop worrying about the draw with 'well, we'll beat Killie on Saturday" I said with two games left BEFORE the split that i could'nt see where our next 3 points were coming from, we've blown two chances to put that right, now we've got the oldsquirm coming up. I know Utd have aswell but if i was a betting man, i'd fancy them more to pick a win up out of the two of us, it's unlikely they will but still, i said last week that i really do not fancy having to go to Tannadice on the last day of the season to pick something up given our recent results up there over the last few years and even more so considering our form in the last two months or so. Sooner the season's over the better.

And yet if Celtic win tomorrow and Dundee Utd fail to BEAT Murderwell next week we will finish third, and we won't even need to kick a ball v Rangers. The ball is very much in our court, and will remain very much in our court for the remainder of the season. We may be staggering over the finish line but it's almost within touching distance now.

We gained another point on them today, just thought i'd remind you of that.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzuuuuuuuuuusssssssssssss....

We are gonna finish third, seriously guys, we are! :)

Nucky Thompson

Away and have a wee lay down :lol:

Were talking on Friday Night Football last night about our poor preformances and said that players need something to aim for and when our goal stuck at third the players lost motivation.

Just like I said.

That's the point though, "lost motivation" if they hadn't then we might've still been a little bit closer to second with 3rd well and truly tucked away in the back pocket, what more motivation do they need? That's the difference between Hearts and the oldsquirm, they know what they have to do, even if they have a wee bad result somewhere along the line they get back to winning the next game.... because they have to, so should we have that same motivation. They're paid well enough, i don't see what more they need to aim for, seems like excuses to me, injuries or no injuries.

If Dundee United beat both Glasgow teams they will finish third.

Dundee United will lose to both Glasgow teams and we will finish third.

hearts_crazy

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzuuuuuuuuuusssssssssssss....

We are gonna finish third, seriously guys, we are! :)

Thing is that even if Celtic knock 10 past Dundee Utd tomorrow there will still be folk on here utterly convinced that we have already blown third. Can I just remind everyone again, WE ARE EIGHT POINTS CLEAR!!!!

Why was the question in the subject of this thread even asked FFS, it answers itself, the fact is even if they did do the unimaginable and beat both the OF away we would STILL be in the driving seat (i.e. not 'stuffed') AND we still have 9 points of our own to play for. We have not had a wonderful end to the season but we have picked up points in the vast majority of our games this season, we are hard to beat, FACT.

hearts_crazy

If Dundee United beat both Glasgow teams they will finish third.

Dundee United will lose to both Glasgow teams and we will finish third.

Not actually true, but at least your second paragraph is correctthumbsup.gif

tartofmidlothian

Yes.

But they won't.

Crosses fingers and prays.

They say only Hearts can do it the hard way......probably true, we`ll end up taking points off the Old Firm when no one was expecting it.

Not actually true, but at least your second paragraph is correctthumbsup.gif

Oh, but it is true H_C. If they beat the smelly two, I'd wager they would beat us last day as their momentum would steam roll us and that would be enough to take third.

It won't happen, though. They don't have enough to beat the pair of them in Glasgow and (IMO) that is what they would need to do to catch us.

alwaysthereinspirit

The team with the most points between us and them will be third. Fact. That team will deserve third.

Oh, but it is true H_C. If they beat the smelly two, I'd wager they would beat us last day as their momentum would steam roll us and that would be enough to take third.

It won't happen, though. They don't have enough to beat the pair of them in Glasgow and (IMO) that is what they would need to do to catch us.

as it is they could easily catch us by winning only one of those glasgow games, or even drawing both and beating us by a few in the final match.

as it is they could easily catch us by winning only one of those glasgow games, or even drawing both and beating us by a few in the final match.

If they beat one of the two, they could catch us but it would totally depend on us failing. I honestly do not see them getting anything from the pair of them. Young James, chill, we'll be fine. thumbsup.gif

Nucky Thompson

The 2nd senario won't be enough unless they really destroy us.

If they beat one of the two, they could catch us but it would totally depend on us failing. I honestly do not see them getting anything from the pair of them. Young James, chill, we'll be fine. thumbsup.gif

should be anyway.

if football coupon odds are applied to the key games then i make it a rough 30/1 for them to do it. a bit of a long shot.

To catch Hearts, a few things need to happen for Dundee United....

They need to win at least 3 of their 4 games from now until the end of the season, two of their next three games are away at Ibrox and Parkhead where they'll do well to get more than a point and the other is against Motherwell, of whom they failed to beat in their last three games against them.

They also have to assume that Hearts will take no more points this season. Hearts, who although we have stopped winning, haven't been losing either.

If United overcome all of those circumstances....they deserve 3rd. They wont.

The 2nd senario won't be enough unless they really destroy us.

not really. we could easily lose a net 7-8 goals versus the old firm teams while they draw twice. they would have to beat motherwell which again would improve their GD. then it's down to the last game where GD is effectively doubled. it's very possible.

portobellojambo1

What I would say though is we are certainly giving Utd more and more belief that they can get third.Celtic might just be very nervy tomorrow with Rangers winning today so although I don't think they will catch us you never know.

While it is possible that could happen I think it would be more likely if the game was at Tannadice. I think what Celtic will realise is they cannot afford to do anything other than win tomorrow, and will use everything they can to achieve that.

not really. we could easily lose a net 7-8 goals versus the old firm teams while they draw twice. they would have to beat motherwell which again would improve their GD. then it's down to the last game where GD is effectively doubled. it's very possible.

Do you expect Dundee United to win at Parkhead tomorrow against a rampant title chasing Celtic team? Say they lose by a modest 2-0 tomorrow, that leaves them with 3 games to make up 8 points and a +13 goal difference. If they do it then fair play, they deserve to finish 3rd, however they wont.

Do you expect Dundee United to win at Parkhead tomorrow against a rampant title chasing Celtic team? Say they lose by a modest 2-0 tomorrow, that leaves them with 3 games to make up 8 points and a +13 goal difference. If they do it then fair play, they deserve to finish 3rd, however they wont.

it's unlikely but certainly not so unlikely that it's not worth keeping note of. they have two bites at the cherry for picking up the old firm win that would possibly do it for them.

hearts_crazy

IF they did catch us it would be far from easy. The simple fact is that if the lose to Celtic tomorrow they would HAVE to BEAT Motherwell AND hope we LOSE all our remaining games. `third is as safe as houses IMO

United have to win at Parkhead tomorrow, against a Celtic side still very much fighting for the title.

If they don't win, we will have a 7 point lead even if they take a point.

There will be 9 more points to play for.

Finishing level on points is no use to them - we are 11 goals better off and they are highly unlikely to make up a deficit that big - so 2 wins and a draw won't do it.

Bottom line - if they drop any points tomorrow, they will have to win all of their remaining matches and hope we don't pick up anything v the OF. If they lose, then it's 8 points with 9 to play for and one point v the OF would effectively see us home, even if they won all 3.

If they do win tomorrow, it's game on all right, and it will probably come down to the last game of the season. But I can't see it happening.

Luton Jambo

I said with two games left BEFORE the split that i could'nt see where our next 3 points were coming from,

And yet since then, two games before the split, we have gained 4 points. :whistling:

Worst ways I think we will be 5 points clear going into the last game and that's if they beat Motherwell and we both lose our old firm games. We have a better record against the Old Firm this season than Dundee United do, 2 wins against 1 win and 1 draw yet folk have suddenly decided that they can get two results against them and we can't.

Archived