SPL - What a shambles

Des' Dad

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Glenn-Gibbons-Gretna-debacle-marks.3927218.jp

At last someone prepared to say that the OF caused the shambles that the SPL is in today. Because of greed all the other clubs followed them blindly. Time for a change to the set up, in my opinion the league should have 16 clubs, but is anyone brave enough to suggest this?

Much better if it was a 18 team league and play each other twice making 34 games per season. Of course they would need to relax the rules on stadium standards and that might not go down well.

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Glenn-Gibbons-Gretna-debacle-marks.3927218.jp

At last someone prepared to say that the OF caused the shambles that the SPL is in today. Because of greed all the other clubs followed them blindly. Time for a change to the set up, in my opinion the league should have 16 clubs, but is anyone brave enough to suggest this?

Yep, excellent article (rare in the Hootsmon these days) ...

Buffalo Bill

...and why were Hearts forced to play five home games over the Christmas period and then have one Saturday home game in a ten week period.

Shafted.

Buffalo Bill

Guest juvehearts

frankly ive gotten a headache from banging my head against a brick wall for years trying to convince everyone that the SPL isnt sustainiable.

i gave up, stop supporting hearts (i follow them, thats it) and dont give hee haw to the SFA, SPL or the SPL.

someone really needs to spit the dummy out & force this sham league for what it really is.

ffs 42 pro clubs in a small country is rediclous.

wake up & smell the coffee, clubs need to merge, move & maybe just maybe then the fans can achieve what they all want.......

a sucessful club than can challenge for the major honers in scottish football & then europe.

East fife are a joke for starters, then we come to gretna.

if football was ment to only be a game then fine, fare enough, but it hasnt been for over ten years when funny enough the SPhell was formed.

it was a good idea at the time when sky were sniffing about us but the deal collapsed & so did the dream.

re paragraph 5..... wake up & smell the coffee & lets get something done.

someone has to show the ambition for change in scotland, i am all for it, but who am i to challenge the big wigs? A fan on a supporters forum.

their is only 2 ways to deal with this situation because it has gone on for too long.

option 1 is, someone take control of this debate & push foward the motions for change, the support & platform is clearly there.

option 2 is, shut up, live with it & go on with supporting a medium fish in a small pond, get to cup finals 3 times in 10 years & get pumped out of europe at the 1st attempt.

i know what opton i'd go for, but like everyone else, i cant be arsed with the hassle, knowing everyone wants the same but no ambition to drive the cause for change.

im juvehearts, thanks for reading.

Why did the writer feel the need to use English examples of Cole and Mascherano without remarking on the comparative situations up here: Lennon used to snarl away at Refs and Ferguson still does. Lennon got punished once when he finally was deemed to have gone "too far" in actually manhandling a referee (later reduced on appeal and causing the referee to quit!).

Lennon never changed his behaviour whereas Miko has and you never see him moaning about decisions even when referees allow the thugs of the SPL to half him...

Half-ersed article if you ask me. If journos all thought this at the time why has it taken a decade for them to write about it. They have the power to change things if they mount concerted efforts but they never do.

Next week I predict that the OF will be blamed global warming.

Much as I hate what they stand for, there's many, many problems with the current setup and all the clubs and chairmen have to take responsibility for that. The Sky/SPL TV fiasco was the icing on the cake for me and was a massive warning that many of our clubs were being run by people who had no real idea what they were doing. Many seem happy to have a good old rant to the media about this that and the other, but when it comes down to it, they'll just go along with whatever thing is flavour of the moment. And that includes being OF-lapdogs when it suits them to moaning about the OF in the next minute.

The split in the league is an absolute joke as are the stadium requirements. And yet situations like the Motherwell pitch are allowed to happen. You either have rules or you don't. Why those things haven't been addressed yet is beyond me.

Nearly all clubs, including the OF, have realised that its financial suicide to waste money on foreign imports and over the last few years there's been more Scots (and young Scots) playing in SPL sides. So wage bills and running costs have come down, but its obviously a very thin line between being solvent and going bust in the SPL as there's just not much money around.

But Gretna have no-one to blame but themselves. Mis-management has put them in the situation they're in. Pure and simple. They knew the score all along and could easily have slowed things down a bit to consolidate their position, but unfortunately they chased a completely unreasonable and unsustainable dream.

Much as I hate what they stand for, there's many, many problems with the current setup and all the clubs and chairmen have to take responsibility for that. The Sky/SPL TV fiasco was the icing on the cake for me and was a massive warning that many of our clubs were being run by people who had no real idea what they were doing. Many seem happy to have a good old rant to the media about this that and the other, but when it comes down to it, they'll just go along with whatever thing is flavour of the moment. And that includes being OF-lapdogs when it suits them to moaning about the OF in the next minute.

The split in the league is an absolute joke as are the stadium requirements. And yet situations like the Motherwell pitch are allowed to happen. You either have rules or you don't. Why those things haven't been addressed yet is beyond me.

Nearly all clubs, including the OF, have realised that its financial suicide to waste money on foreign imports and over the last few years there's been more Scots (and young Scots) playing in SPL sides. So wage bills and running costs have come down, but its obviously a very thin line between being solvent and going bust in the SPL as there's just not much money around.

But Gretna have no-one to blame but themselves. Mis-management has put them in the situation they're in. Pure and simple. They knew the score all along and could easily have slowed things down a bit to consolidate their position, but unfortunately they chased a completely unreasonable and unsustainable dream.

I'm not 100% but if you're referring to the TV rights decision that was veto'd by two votes (i.e. both of the OF) and has left us with bugger all to show for our broadcasting income ever since, then surely people have the right to point the finger at that rotten pair from Glasgow?

JamboGraham

Surely it is two articles...the link to the English stuff just doesn't fit.

I am guessing that in the printed version of the paper there is a clear split between the two articles?

I'm not 100% but if you're referring to the TV rights decision that was veto'd by two votes (i.e. both of the OF) and has left us with bugger all to show for our broadcasting income ever since, then surely people have the right to point the finger at that rotten pair from Glasgow?

Apologies, I thought it was the other way round, I thought the OF were keen for Sky to continue and that they weren't keen on the so-called SPL-TV.

Its ironic though that as most clubs have downsized in terms of wage bills and transfer fees, that the Scottish game and international team has been on the rise in the last few years and the ugly sisters have been doing particularly well in Europe.

When does the current deal run out?

I suppose the other thing is that if many of the armchair fans actually went out and supported their club, some of the clubs wouldn't be in such a dire financial situation.

Apologies, I thought it was the other way round, I thought the OF were keen for Sky to continue and that they weren't keen on the so-called SPL-TV.

Its ironic though that as most clubs have downsized in terms of wage bills and transfer fees, that the Scottish game and international team has been on the rise in the last few years and the ugly sisters have been doing particularly well in Europe.

When does the current deal run out?

I suppose the other thing is that if many of the armchair fans actually went out and supported their club, some of the clubs wouldn't be in such a dire financial situation.

Can't remember the exact details but yeah, it was the other way around. We had a deal on the table for somewhere around ?40 odd million per annum which they veto'd (is that a word?! vetoed? Ach, I dunno) and we never received anything near like that ever again. Or not its equivalent value anyway. Two votes was enough then, I'm not sure if its still the case but I hope not...

colinmaroon

They are to blame for Global warming!!!

All that methane from the rotting vegetation in the stands at Botox and Darheid!!!

Archived