Ruben Palazuelos

Riddley Walker

Not a fan in the slightest. He's honest and I like him but as a player, he's a total passenger. He just doesn't have any football in his head - players run off him; he never goes looking for the ball; he doesn't track back; he always needs an extra touch; he always slows down play, moer often than not when it isn't appropriate.

There's positives to his game too: he's strong and doesn't lose possession are the main ones but it isn't enough for me.

His best two seasons for us have been 08/09 and 10/11 both of which we (hopefully, touch wood etc.) finished 3rd. That could interpreted as he heavily influences our fortunes or that he has very little influence and simply looks good when the rest of the team are playing good. I like the guy so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. :thumbsup:

Also since Johan himself, no player has got as much use out of the Cruyff turn than Pala.

does not do it enough imo. to talk of him having a good season is a sugn of the low expectations people have for our club.

should be dispensed with in the summer along with many others.

gowestjambo

I am amazed so many rate him. I think it speaks volumes that he played his best at left back!

I do not understand the clamour to keep him, I cannot recall one single game where he dominated midfield.

I for one will be glad to see the back of him. (and he can take Black with him!)

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

Agree that he has done well this season , particularly at LB , however , wouldn't be too disappointed to see him leave the club , providing we brought in better quality players

His best two seasons for us have been 08/09 and 10/11 both of which we (hopefully, touch wood etc.) finished 3rd. That could interpreted as he heavily influences our fortunes or that he has very little influence and simply looks good when the rest of the team are playing good. I like the guy so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. :thumbsup:

Also since Johan himself, no player has got as much use out of the Cruyff turn than Pala.

At least not everyone has short memories. :thumbsup:

Black is murder at shooting. How many times does he get in a good position then sky it miles over (right or left footed)!? I'd choose Ruben any day. He's more likely to ensure a shot is on target than trying to hit it hard.

I feel Ruben gets it a bit tight on here. Yes it looks like he gets pulled out to the left a lot but thats because Rudi doesnt bother a leg to get back half the time. IMO he's a solid player who is useful but I do appreciate that he's on high wages that may be better used elsewhere.

Black has had shots sail over the bar, however, you've got to buy a ticket to win the raffle! Be interested if anyone could tell us the amount of shots each player has had, I don't think Ruben has had as many as Black.

Ruben's last goal was in season 2008 - 2009.

Black's last goal was against Celtic this season.

Black has 2 goals in 53 appearances and was 25/1 for first goal scorer at the weekend.

Ruben has 3 goals in 117 appearances and was 40/1 for first goal scorer at the weekend.

I don't agree that Ruben is more likely than Black to ensure a shot is on target, and would argue with the above stats that Black is more likely to score than Ruben which was part of my original point.

Creepy Lurker

I sometimes wonder if people on Kickback are watching the same games as me.

Ruben is chronic.

Seriously?

Yes.

I think Black makes more passes into strikers feet than Ruben, more out to the wingers, and more cross field diagonal passes. I'd add that Black also takes a number of free kicks from the half way/middle third area to float them into the box or start a quick attack, I don't see Ruben taking these set pieces.

Thunderstruck

Ruben should not be alarmed that he is under-estimated by some of the roasters on Kickback. It puts him in seriously talented company.

I am amazed so many rate him. I think it speaks volumes that he played his best at left back!

I do not understand the clamour to keep him, I cannot recall one single game where he dominated midfield.

I for one will be glad to see the back of him. (and he can take Black with him!)

To name one I think it was St. J at home this year when he got MOTM and was excellent!

I sometimes wonder if people on Kickback are watching the same games as me.

Ruben is chronic.

In what way?

Ruben's a player that doesn't hide when the going gets tough, some players when they're off-form tend to hide and stay low key. Ruben always gives 100% and you can't say that about a few foreign players that have come and gone in Scotland over the years. If all our players gave their all as Palazuelos does then maybe we'd have had 3rd wrapped up weeks ago (some of his team-mates take note!)I hope he stays on, it would be a pity if JJ brings in an attacking midfielder in the summer and he's not there, i think he needs quality players alongside him. I remember him playing well most weeks when Wallace was in the team, they linked up well enough and he's also decent, short-term cover when Wallace is out, most of all, he likes playing for the Jambo's, if he didn't, he'd have asked to get away ages ago.

I think he's a decent player, has improved after a weak start in Scottish football and is having his best season - with his best games for the club mostly at left back. His aerial ability in defence has been important too.

However, I've tired of seeing him in midfield. Would like to see someone more dynamic who does not have to turn onto their left foot - and someone who can make a forward pass.

grumpy rebus

It all depends who we've got in midfield. Ruben, Eggy, Adrian & Black are all very similar (and McGowan could soon join that list. Given a choice I'd lose Black & Adrian out of tat group, but I suppose it depends on contracts.

And for all those saying he doesn't dominate midfield, he never will in the position he plays. What he does is all others to "dominate midfield" by doing the simple stuff.

Ruben's a player that doesn't hide when the going gets tough, some players when they're off-form tend to hide and stay low key. Ruben always gives 100% and you can't say that about a few foreign players that have come and gone in Scotland over the years. If all our players gave their all as Palazuelos does then maybe we'd have had 3rd wrapped up weeks ago (some of his team-mates take note!)I hope he stays on, it would be a pity if JJ brings in an attacking midfielder in the summer and he's not there, i think he needs quality players alongside him. I remember him playing well most weeks when Wallace was in the team, they linked up well enough and he's also decent, short-term cover when Wallace is out, most of all, he likes playing for the Jambo's, if he didn't, he'd have asked to get away ages ago.

Have to disagree with this. He is a hard worker in that he competes but he has absolutely no urgency on or off the ball and that's his biggest problem.

How often do you see Ruben go and demand the ball from our fullbacks and centre halves? I honestly can't think of him doing ot once. For the type of player he seems to want to be and a lot on here worryingly think he is, he should be getting on the ball and dictating and he simply isn't willing to or can't do it.

Off the ball - just watch him. His man gets in behind him time and time again. If he goes forward in an attack, he tends to meander back. Not sure this is laziness as such but definitely just isn't switched on. Great examples of this against Hibs in the last game. WHen they broke on us from our corner when Blackie had a bad touch and Poulsson ended up skying a great chance. Poulsson got in that position cos he ran past Ruben 30 yards out from Hibs goal. RUben jogged back. He does it all the time. As I say, I don't think it's a Riordan type unwillingness to work, more just he doesn't see what's going on. EIther way it ain't good enough.

On pretty good money as well. Not that that concerns me, it's VR's money and if he's willing to spend it. I just think JJ could and will find us better.

Have to disagree with this. He is a hard worker in that he competes but he has absolutely no urgency on or off the ball and that's his biggest problem.

How often do you see Ruben go and demand the ball from our fullbacks and centre halves? I honestly can't think of him doing ot once. For the type of player he seems to want to be and a lot on here worryingly think he is, he should be getting on the ball and dictating and he simply isn't willing to or can't do it.

Off the ball - just watch him. His man gets in behind him time and time again. If he goes forward in an attack, he tends to meander back. Not sure this is laziness as such but definitely just isn't switched on. Great examples of this against Hibs in the last game. WHen they broke on us from our corner when Blackie had a bad touch and Poulsson ended up skying a great chance. Poulsson got in that position cos he ran past Ruben 30 yards out from Hibs goal. RUben jogged back. He does it all the time. As I say, I don't think it's a Riordan type unwillingness to work, more just he doesn't see what's going on. EIther way it ain't good enough.

On pretty good money as well. Not that that concerns me, it's VR's money and if he's willing to spend it. I just think JJ could and will find us better.

Creepy Lurker

In what way?

He isn't any good going forward, he isn't any good defensively and his main attribute seems to be playing his teammates into trouble.

Ruben has loads of ability but he's played about two decent games this season. His flaws outweigh his benefits. He fails far to often to track back when losing possession, just trots backs and lets others do the work. His passing beyond 10 yards is poor. He has a great ability to pass to a player who is marked then move away to make sure he doesn't get the pass back. His greatest ability is to feign making himself available for a throw in, then moving so he's marked. His tackle winning stats will be around the 20% mark. And when the going gets tough, it's where's Ruben. It's travesty that a player with his ability does not contribute more.

It all depends who we've got in midfield. Ruben, Eggy, Adrian & Black are all very similar (and McGowan could soon join that list. Given a choice I'd lose Black & Adrian out of tat group, but I suppose it depends on contracts.

And for all those saying he doesn't dominate midfield, he never will in the position he plays. What he does is all others to "dominate midfield" by doing the simple stuff.

No he doesn't. DOing the "simple" stuff means doing the donkey work, keeping the ball moving and being positiionally sound and aware. Ruben does none of this. He has no "picture" in possession or out of it.

All of this.

Not sure how he has managed to con so many people into thinking that he's a player.

All of this.

Not sure how he has managed to con so many people into thinking that he's a player.

He looks quite elegant and if you only look at the ball when watching football you'll see Ruben never losing possession and consider this to be tidy, intelligent midfield play.

WHen a team breaks on us or is in possession, they need to look for Ruben and check out what he's up to. It'll be the only way to see what you and I see. Again, if he's near the ball (i.e. in the line of view of a large number of fans), he'll compete for it, often win it and often then retain possession and again look like he's doing his job.

gowestjambo

To name one I think it was St. J at home this year when he got MOTM and was excellent!

If thats the best you can come up with, I think it proves my point entirely.

Hopeless, Hopeless footballer.

davemclaren

If thats the best you can come up with, I think it proves my point entirely.

Hopeless, Hopeless footballer.

Rubbish. :D .

He always looks to make a pass and filled in really well at left back when Wallace was out.

To add, its been a mixed bag with him in his time. If you think back, he was excellent for a big chunk of the season under Csaba in which we finished 3rd. He easily stuck out as a player who wanted to pass and not give the ball away needlessly. Probably down to his upbringing in football in Spain.

I think having Aguiar helped as he was a superb out ball to pass to for him and he showed for balls Ruben wanted to play in. Of course, Bruno played further forward and this was a big positive and something we don`t have in midfield now.

In his early days i always thought Ruben was, i wouldn`t say a step ahead, but his discipline was to always look for a pass but sometimes his team mates did`nt have the anticipation to read things.

He`s had his poor games, no doubt, and maybe he`s stagnated a little? Certainly last season. But under JJ, i think he has rose to the challenge this year and played his part in helping us to where we are now. I`d prefer changes in the midfield but i think there`s always a place for one who likes to sit a bit deeper and keep it simple. Otherwise we certainly need a couple in there with drive to go forward and create in the last third.

gowestjambo

Rubbish. :D .

He always looks to make a pass and filled in really well at left back when Wallace was out.

He is totally ineffective, how anyone can rate him is quite simply beyond me.

The fact he made a better left back than midfielder says it all!

Can anyone honestly say if Ruben was playing for another SPL team there would be a clamour to sign him?

davemclaren

He is totally ineffective, how anyone can rate him is quite simply beyond me.

The fact he made a better left back than midfielder says it all!

Can anyone honestly say if Ruben was playing for another SPL team there would be a clamour to sign him?

Given his starts our current and previous managers must rate him as well.

gowestjambo

Given his starts our current and previous managers must rate him as well.

Given our woeful other Central Midfielders may have more to do with him playing than him being rated.

If indeed he is this midfield maestro you suggest, there will be a long list of top clubs after his signature then!

davemclaren

Given our woeful other Central Midfielders may have more to do with him playing than him being rated.

If indeed he is this midfield maestro you suggest, there will be a long list of top clubs after his signature then!

We'll soon find out I suppose.

Thunderstruck

"He can't defend, he can't pass, he is slow, he is lazy" and on and on and on. Can someone post a picture of Ruben because some on here clearly don't know who he is or what he looks like.

He has been played out of position for the bulk of this season and has filled in extremely well at full back. Part of one of the meanest defences in the SPL.

There isn't a harder working player in the squad and he puts in an enormous amount of effort into denying space to opponents or offering options to team mates during the 80 odd minutes when he is not actually in possession of the ball.

He very rarely loses possession and will not waste possession with aimless passes, preferring to go back to defence if nothing is on. Contrary to some of the views in earlier posts, he does get in some good passing - both short and long range and he does break forward to good effect and our third last Saturday was a good example of this.

The old adage tells us you don't know what you've got until it's gone and the value of Ruben is more obvious when he is not in the team.

Creepy Lurker

...He very rarely loses possession...

This is true. The player to whom he passes the ball, however, very often loses possession as a direct result of Ruben having played him into trouble.

It'd be interesting to see how many people would rate him this highly if he didn't have long hair and a cool name.

Drylaw Hearts

I've never been his biggest fan but some of the comments/opinions of him on this thread are beyond ludicrous.

In my opinion some of the folk going on about "woeful" current Hearts players are expecting far too much. Do you expect us to be able to sign players that are significantly better than what we have while staying within our wage structure?!

Unbelievable the amount of critisism some players have recieved in what has been - in my opinion - an extremely successful season (let's face it for a club such as ours it's always going to be difficult maintaining such a constistently high standard over the course of a season, so no surprise that we've tailed off now!)

There's just no pleasing some folk.

In my opinion some of the folk going on about "woeful" current Hearts players are expecting far too much. Do you expect us to be able to sign players that are significantly better than what we have while staying within our wage structure?!

Unbelievable the amount of critisism some players have recieved in what has been - in my opinion - an extremely successful season (let's face it for a club such as ours it's always going to be difficult maintaining such a constistently high standard over the course of a season, so no surprise that we've tailed off now!)

Just want to that I totally agree with this and usually I'm the first to defend players on here. I think people's standards and expectations are generally far too high on here.

All I've done is give my honest opinions on why I don't think Ruben helps us as a player. Have said I've nowt against him - seems a good pro etc - I just don't think he bring enough to us and its the engine room we've lacked in most, especially since he moved back in there (for me it's been no coincedence that form has dipped since he moved into midfield, but we have no real other options as Adie has shot his bolt and Eggy has been unfit or used at FB).

gowestjambo

Well it just goes to show some Hearts supporters are easily pleased.

It depends on what you think we should be achieving at a club like ours.

If this has been an extremely successful season I would hate to see what your definition of a poor season is.

Stuttering to 3rd place,( which with our recourses should be our minimum aim) and dumped out the cups by a couple of diddy teams hardly strikes me as an extremely successful season!

If this has been an extremely successful season I would hate to see what your definition of a poor season is.

Stuttering to 3rd place,( which with our recourses should be our minimum aim) and dumped out the cups by a couple of diddy teams hardly strikes me as an extremely successful season!

Should doesn't work in football. We should have been finishing 3rd every season for quite a number now - possibly stretching back decades, give or take the odd rough spell. We've only achieved this back to back something like 5 times (stattos please) in our history, however, so should is nothing.

We're recovering at the moment from the shambles of years of mismanagement and bad squad building. In any season, over 60 points is good, 65 is very good and over 70 is brilliant imo. We're on 62 at the moment with 4 to play.

The cups you are right about. The club made a terrible decision to close the Wheatfield and I think it had an adverse effect. Still should have won that game though.

As for the standard of player - all of our players will have faults, that's the market we're in. We'll get really talented guys like Rudi, Zal or Larry who maybe have application/concentration problems or we'll have decent pros like big Kev or Stevo who'll give us everything but have limitations either in ability or physicality. What we can't have is players who can't stay switched on in key positions and who effect others aorund them adversely and I think that covers Ruben, unfortunately.

Well it just goes to show some Hearts supporters are hard to please...

A poor season would be something like 07/08 when we finished 8th, got pumped out both cups, got done 5-0 at Parkhead and 0-4 at Tynie to Rangers.

Perhaps we have enough strength in depth to challenge in the league and cups if everyone is fit however this is the big problem. We've had massive problems with injuries for the last few years and until we solve them there is no chance we can challenge for the SPL let alone the cups at the same time.

Edit: Just to stay on topic I'm not trying to say Ruben is a brilliant player, just that he's done well for us since he signed. I do understand however that we could perhaps use his wages better elsewhere.

I agree that most players get unfair crit, but this is the exception. I recall Brian Clough saying of Bob Latchford, "He's deceptive, he's slower than he looks".

Don Roberto

Rueben has been outstanding this season and has never let us down, could never be described as lazy, lacking effort or talentless.

He is willing to play anywhere for the cause if asked - he is absolutely committed to playing for our club.

Some of the comments on him are beyond belief.

I really hope we are able to find a way to keep him. Player of the season for me.

"He can't defend, he can't pass,

Since he`s went to left back he`s proven he can tackle. After Jonssons early season holocaust v Humphries of Motherwell, Ruben went on to do a fine marking job in the 2-1 win at Fir Park on the same player.

Not only that game though, he`s proven in other games he has the intelligence in that area. I would even rate him as better at tackling than Wallace at LB as Wallace relies on his speed quite alot to get back into position or match runs, Ruben has to be more clever because he doesn`t have the pace.

I remember an outstanding performance from him at LB v the Hobos in the 2-1 win last season too at Tynie. Yes, he maybe frustrate in midfield because he is quite static for a midfielder and on the whole doesn`t get forward enough but as i said earlier, if we had a more mobile partner with him who had drive and could pick a more creative pass, Ruben could do a job by being your more safer player in there.

I have to admit though, i`d like a more dynamic midfield overall, i don`t go for the "defensive, Attacking" midfield tags players get individually. Why can`t you do everything when its on?

Anyway, it sounds like he`s off so best of luck big man.

jambo_til_i_die

I disagree. I thought he was excellent at LB. He has the basic attributes needed for a full back: composure, OK distribution, a good cross and a much improved positional sense. He was also playing at LB when we had our amazing run earlier this season. He's been good at CM also, just a shame he's not been complimented by a slightly different type of CM.

I couldn't have put it better myself. Agree 100%. He got r*ped against Humphrey of Motherwell at Tynie earlier in the year when he first started at LB, but by the time we went to Fir Park he had improved so much that he had Humphrey in his pocket, which very few have had this year. He does make the odd mind-boggling pass that rile me but has done really well considering the things he has been asked to do. Well done :thumbsup:

scott_jambo

I couldn't have put it better myself. Agree 100%. He got r*ped against Humphrey of Motherwell at Tynie earlier in the year when he first started at LB, but by the time we went to Fir Park he had improved so much that he had Humphrey in his pocket, which very few have had this year. He does make the odd mind-boggling pass that rile me but has done really well considering the things he has been asked to do. Well done :thumbsup:

I HATE THIS LIE!!!!!

angry.gifangry.gifangry.gif

jambo_til_i_die

2009/2010 - 6th place

2008/2009 - 3rd place

2007/2008 - 8th place

2006/2007 - 4th place

2005/2006 - 2nd place

2004/2005 - 5th place

2003/2002 - 3rd place

2002/2001 - 3rd place

2001/2002 - 5th place

2000/2001 - 5th place

1999/2000 - 3rd place

1998/1999 - 6th place (average 4th place) - I think you have too high expectation in my opinion. But thats not a bad thing, but don't diss people who prefer to be realists.

Total points after 34 games;

2010/11 62

2009/10 44

2008/09 54

2007/08 45

2006/07 54

2005/06 68

2004/05 49

2003/04 56

2002/03 60

2001/02 42

2000/01 47

Only twice in the previous ten years have we had 60+ points at this stage of the season, we have averaged 53 points meaning we are nine points better off than the average and only six points behind our greatest season in recent history, 05/06.

Or to put it another way, Hibs have 37 points. :verysmug:

Listen mate, we all desire to see Hearts be better and more consistent but again you are an example of a Hearts fan who can`t just see this season for what it is...an improvement in the right direction. The cup exits riled me but im over it now but i hope it is one aspect we are consciously looking to improve on next season.

My bare minimum expectations of Hearts is a 3rd place finish and a cup win, or at least a damn good stab at the cups and not the way we`ve wimped out in the last couple of seasons.

As for title aspirations there is so much that has to be right and its been discussed to death.

Thing is, while we have a strong basis of a squad now to build on, there are no guarantees to what we`ll do next season. I think football can be a bit of a lottery for most teams outside the OF these days although we have easily shown the best consistency over a long, long period out of the non-OF teams.

But the expected title charge is 50/50 at the moment. This seasons run has been excellent as much as unexpected. If we are to get into europe it could be another hurdle to cope with if we progress while juggling domestic duties. Unfortunately, its proven that alot of non-OF teams struggle to maintain domestic form while in europe......but thats the challenge for the club..

I`ve always wanted us to replicate OF form in these situations...but that`s a mental test more than anything. I think we finished 3rd under Levein in a european season but we only last one round!

Hearts have yet to prove they are a club that can go onto that next level and all im saying is let`s do that first before we shout the odds on what our club should be doing. I at least hope our club has the drive and desire to do so and have a go at it...

gowestjambo

Listen mate, we all desire to see Hearts be better and more consistent but again you are an example of a Hearts fan who can`t just see this season for what it is...an improvement in the right direction. The cup exits riled me but im over it now but i hope it is one aspect we are consciously looking to improve on next season.

My bare minimum expectations of Hearts is a 3rd place finish and a cup win, or at least a damn good stab at the cups and not the way we`ve wimped out in the last couple of seasons.

As for title aspirations there is so much that has to be right and its been discussed to death.

Thing is, while we have a strong basis of a squad now to build on, there are no guarantees to what we`ll do next season. I think football can be a bit of a lottery for most teams outside the OF these days although we have easily shown the best consistency over a long, long period out of the non-OF teams.

But the expected title charge is 50/50 at the moment. This seasons run has been excellent as much as unexpected. If we are to get into europe it could be another hurdle to cope with if we progress while juggling domestic duties. Unfortunately, its proven that alot of non-OF teams struggle to maintain domestic form while in europe......but thats the challenge for the club..

I`ve always wanted us to replicate OF form in these situations...but that`s a mental test more than anything. I think we finished 3rd under Levein in a european season but we only last one round!

Hearts have yet to prove they are a club that can go onto that next level and all im saying is let`s do that first before we shout the odds on what our club should be doing. I at least hope our club has the drive and desire to do so and have a go at it...

Sorry to correct your misunderstanding, but this is exactly what I think of this season - an improvement on last season. Not an extremely successful season as suggested by others.

Cupar Jambo

I think you will find that Ruben has to do everything in midfield due to the general pishness of Black and laziness of Rudi.

Ruben is one of the better players in our team week in, week out and your comment on him not contributing enough going forward obviously means that you don't watch the game. Perhaps you should go to the BBC website and watch the highlights of Saturday's game!

Any chance of getting my money back for my season ticket as I obviously dont watch the match. I dont have to watch BBC highlights as I'm at every game. Ruben is a luxury we can certainly do without,

Archived