Ruben Palazuelos

Riddley Walker

Riddley Walker

Just thought Ruben deserves a mention for his performances this season. I know he's not always been a favourite in the 3/4 years he's been here but he's been immense this season wherever he's been asked to play.

He's been consistent, solid, committed and barely puts a foot wrong.

My player of the season along with Kello.

Well done Ruben :thumbsup:

Ruben is a class act. If he can recapture is form from a few seasons ago he'll be a major player in the next.

Randy Marsh

He was a bit of an unsung hero during our tremedous run earlier in the season. He was far better playing at left back whilst Wallace was out.

We cant keep him though. He is on far too big a wage and we need to strengthen other areas of the squad.

i think he is good but can have his rough moments and i really dont like him playing LB seeems to get skint all the time and can produce nothing there i prefer him in CM where he can pass the ball and he has more space to create chances

Riddley Walker

i think he is good but can have his rough moments and i really dont like him playing LB seeems to get skint all the time and can produce nothing there i prefer him in CM where he can pass the ball and he has more space to create chances

I disagree. I thought he was excellent at LB. He has the basic attributes needed for a full back: composure, OK distribution, a good cross and a much improved positional sense. He was also playing at LB when we had our amazing run earlier this season. He's been good at CM also, just a shame he's not been complimented by a slightly different type of CM.

Riddley Walker

He'll never be the type of player who creates loads of chances. He's a tidying up, composed player which can be so effective depending if he's complimented by other players.

heartsfc_fan

Can't wait to see the back of him.

Each to their own I guess.

I think he's a good player, however we'd probably be able to afford 2 or 3 players on his wages.

Perth to Paisley

Will be offerred reduced terms to stay - there is a recession you know.

Decent player but his wage could be better spent.

Not gonna be popular this, but I don't like him.

I agree he puts in a shift, no doubt about that, and he covered LB well for a time (although didn't always convince), however, I don't see him having much of a future with us.

Of the people we have in his position, I feel Black works just as hard, tackles just as well, and makes the simple (and at times more difficult) pass than Ruben does. It is also my impression that Black's wages are less than Ruben's.

Much of the above I feel applies to Eggy, except I feel if Eggy got a run of games in centre mid we would see some development in him, whereas I feel Ruben has played in his preferred position a lot and I'm not really seeing any development in him since he signed.

Adrian was another I felt was better than Ruben (although given his recent performances that is changing), but if he picks up form again then I would have him ahead of Ruben.

Another one I feel much of the above applies to and could do the role Ruben does better than him is Stevo.

I also think McGowan is worthy of a shot in that position to find out if he is good enough.

In short, I feel we have players who may be slightly better or the same as Ruben, on less wages, with more potential for development, so whilst he has been steady for me this season, I feel he's reached his level and we should be looking at other options.

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Disagree tbh, always seen Ruben as better than Black by a fair distance.

Would love to keep him. He's an absolute gent as well.

From a footballing point of view, I'd love to see him stay but if the management feel his wages are too high and he has to go then I'd accept this.

He gives us composure on the ball, he's one of the best players in the Spl at holding the ball up in midfield to allow players to get forward, he has great delivery from the left which has set up a few important goals this season.

Ruben's class!

Disagree tbh, always seen Ruben as better than Black by a fair distance.

Would love to keep him. He's an absolute gent as well.

Fair enough.

I do agree that he puts in a shift, he seems like a really nice guy, with a positive impact on the dressing room, in particular with helping Suso settle. However, I just don't see him progressing with us, and feel the wages could be better used elsewhere.

Time to move him on. This myth that he creates space for himself is nonsense when looking at how many times he gets caught in possession, fails to use the more efficient simple ball as he needs to pirouette to get the ball on his only foot. Composure should never be mixed up with dawdling on the ball while the move breaks down round about him cos he is so bloody slow.

Not a fan, happy when he goes.

RUBEN PALAZUELOS received his football schooling in the streetwise city of Santander and has experienced the searing heat of Greek derbies in Salonika. Consequently, expect the Spaniard to take Hearts versus Hibs in his stride.

He may look slightly built and not particularly able for the more uncompromising aspects of SPL football, but Palazuelos has an inner grit complemented by a tough exterior, which he fully intends to utilise on Monday evening.

The 24-year-old will make his competitive debut for Hearts against their city rivals at Tynecastle having signed a four-year contract - two years with the option of a further two - last month. Terminating his existing deal at ?

Found this. Just part of an interview a while back.

I can remember when he was being asked about his thoughts on the derby. (Smoke bombs, coins ECT.) He then replied ' I've had Whole Chickens and mobile phones thrown at me so this was nothing.' He basically laughed about all the hysteria made from very little.

RUBEN! :thumbsup:

Have to say I don't really rate the guy in the middle of the park anymore. Great composure and a decent touch but he just doesn't contribute enough going forward and his positioning at times negates his use as a defensive midfielder. Instead of just covering the area in front of the two centre backs he likes to close down players on the wings, which inevitably leaves a gap through the centre. I don't mind Jim at left back though. Looks more assured there than I think Craig Thomson ever will (not a dig at Thommo, who is right footed FFS).

He still has his moments but definitely not worth his supposed wages.

Jam Tarts 1874

Have to say I don't really rate the guy in the middle of the park anymore. Great composure and a decent touch but he just doesn't contribute enough going forward and his positioning at times negates his use as a defensive midfielder. Instead of just covering the area in front of the two centre backs he likes to close down players on the wings, which inevitably leaves a gap through the centre. I don't mind Jim at left back though. Looks more assured there than I think Craig Thomson ever will (not a dig at Thommo, who is right footed FFS).

He still has his moments but definitely not worth his supposed wages.

I think you will find that Ruben has to do everything in midfield due to the general pishness of Black and laziness of Rudi.

Ruben is one of the better players in our team week in, week out and your comment on him not contributing enough going forward obviously means that you don't watch the game. Perhaps you should go to the BBC website and watch the highlights of Saturday's game!

how much wages is he actually on

I would like to know this too, everyone keeps on saying he's on a big wage but he came from Gimn?stica de Torrelavega in division 2b (they yoyo between the 2nd and 3rd divisions in Spain) but was on loan to Aris Thessaloniki F.C a mid table greek club.

Sure he paid ?200,000 to the Spanish team to release him from his contract but "In Spain, some players have a clause in their contract that allows them to free themselves from the club for a specific fee and Ruben had this clause with Gimnastic." Is this fee related to how much he gets paid? Did we pay him back this fee?

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I think you will find that Ruben has to do everything in midfield due to the general pishness of Black and laziness of Rudi.

Ruben is one of the better players in our team week in, week out and your comment on him not contributing enough going forward obviously means that you don't watch the game. Perhaps you should go to the BBC website and watch the highlights of Saturday's game!

This, pretty much.

Also, I've often wondered whether it's JJ who's telling him to help out Tommo/whoever's at LB on the wings thus leaving space in the middle.

Who knows? Though I do agree he sometimes gets caught in possession but I'd probably blame that on whoever's near him at the time not offering him a pass. Depends on the situation, either way we should keep him. smile.gif

Dr. Bapswent

Might not be the most gifted player, but id be happy to keep him for his work rate, his attitude and his personality.

Cracking bloke and although that might not make a difference on the park, it makes a difference to he perception of the team.

He will play where he is asked and put in the effort.

Only has a left foot unfortunately.

Could do worse than to have a few more like him and his attitude in the team.

I've always thought that the ability to win/control the ball, create a bit of space, then pass to a team mate is a bit of an asset in the SPL.

rossthejambo

I like him. Think he needs a couple of better midfielders/full backs around him so he can offload the ball a bit earlier though. Sadly, think his wages will be too much for us to keep him but I'd be happy for him to stay.

Always gives 100% and having someone with a bit of composure in the middle of park is always good to see.

i think he gets an undeserved hard time on here for the most part. as well as having a great work ethic he can also play a bit. like a lot of players he'll have the odd poor game / spell.

he's a player i would like to stay if the wages are reasonable but if he's on half as much as the top estimate he's supposedly getting then i think we have to thank him for a great job done and wish him well.

Ray Winstone

We could get more useful players for his 'reported' high wages in my opinion.

Riddley Walker

Decent player and the team is weaker when he's not playing.

Nowhere near player of the year material though.

Who would be your player of the year then out of interest? Obviously Kello, then there are several players who have had a good season all round but have gone off the boil for large parts of it. Whereas i think Ruben's been consistent the whole way through.

But if he is on high wages then we could hopefully get a couple of similar quality players in for the same wage.

Just thought Ruben deserves a mention for his performances this season. I know he's not always been a favourite in the 3/4 years he's been here but he's been immense this season wherever he's been asked to play.

He's been consistent, solid, committed and barely puts a foot wrong.

My player of the season along with Kello.

Well done Ruben :thumbsup:

Hope the guy is back at LB this weekend and CT back to RB. Ruben has done really well this season and i wonder if he`d still be an asset with a better midfield partner? You always need a sitter and i remember his other stand out season was when he had Aguiar to play off.

Decent player and the team is weaker when he's not playing.

Nowhere near player of the year material though.

He was our player of the year fairly recently though, either last year or the year before I think?

Either way, completely agree with the OP....Ruben has done us a real turn this year and has done a fine job of getting on with the 'dirty work' to a pretty consistent level while many of those around him have spent the season having their ups and downs. When he wasn't doing that, he was covering for one of our best players at LB and didn't look one little bit out of place while he was doing it either. We might have had a bit of a downturn in recent months but I do believe he's one of the reasons we've managed to keep it on a semi-even keel and picked up points from draws instead of succumbing to losses.

Plus, he's a complete and utter gentleman and a really lovely guy. He gets thumbs up from me. thumbsup.gif

Snake Plissken

Meh.

Does okay as an auxiliary left back when required, not a huge fan of his in midfield.

Done well this season, but I'll not be gutted to see him go. He's supposedly on pretty high wages too.

Not gonna be popular this, but I don't like him.

I agree he puts in a shift, no doubt about that, and he covered LB well for a time (although didn't always convince), however, I don't see him having much of a future with us.

Of the people we have in his position, I feel Black works just as hard, tackles just as well, and makes the simple (and at times more difficult) pass than Ruben does. It is also my impression that Black's wages are less than Ruben's.

Much of the above I feel applies to Eggy, except I feel if Eggy got a run of games in centre mid we would see some development in him, whereas I feel Ruben has played in his preferred position a lot and I'm not really seeing any development in him since he signed.

Adrian was another I felt was better than Ruben (although given his recent performances that is changing), but if he picks up form again then I would have him ahead of Ruben.

Another one I feel much of the above applies to and could do the role Ruben does better than him is Stevo.

I also think McGowan is worthy of a shot in that position to find out if he is good enough.

In short, I feel we have players who may be slightly better or the same as Ruben, on less wages, with more potential for development, so whilst he has been steady for me this season, I feel he's reached his level and we should be looking at other options.

Is this for Real?

Black is not nor has been nor ever will be a better player than Ruben!!!!!!!

Tynecastle Valhalla

i agree. he has always been good forus since he moved here.

i dont think his style is particularly suited to scotland as he likes to play composed passes.

but he is solid and wins a lot of headers as well.

hope he stays but hearts wont pay enough

I would like to know this too, everyone keeps on saying he's on a big wage but he came from Gimn?stica de Torrelavega in division 2b (they yoyo between the 2nd and 3rd divisions in Spain) but was on loan to Aris Thessaloniki F.C a mid table greek club.

Sure he paid ?200,000 to the Spanish team to release him from his contract but "In Spain, some players have a clause in their contract that allows them to free themselves from the club for a specific fee and Ruben had this clause with Gimnastic." Is this fee related to how much he gets paid? Did we pay him back this fee?

It's related in as much as it shows that we must be paying enough to make it to have been worthwhile for him to buy himself out

This may in part explain some of the reports of Ruben's high wages. Instead of paying a transfer fee directly we're paying Ruben and he's paid his old club so some of the cost of his wages are in effect paying the transfer fee this means that we'd expect Rubens wages to appear a bit on the high side.

It's hard to say exactly how much but we can get a ball park figure

To pay off ?200,000 over a four year contract would be about ?1,000 per week but after you take into account tax and interest you're probably looking at something more like ?1,500/week extra to cover the cost of buying himself out.

The way the "in the know" crowd at the Shareholder's POTY were talking he is just one of 6 being sacrificed so JJ can add 3 faces this summer.

Nice guy,

Oft criticised (and I'm one who does)until he's not there, then missed if not playing.

This time last year we split between Stewart GTF, and watch how rubbish and uncreative we will be without him. Only to manage fine and potentially free up significant wages.

So all the best in the future Ruben. Hope you get another club and think back on Hearts and Edinburgh fondly.

Never been disappointed to hear his name on the teamsheet which says a lot. If we can afford him and know what he can do in this league in different positions I would keep him.

Have liked him more or less from the start. He has put in some poor performances at times, but then who doesn't? Solid in defence and does his best to be creative in midfield. As others have mentioned, he is also an absolute gentleman.

I was surprised to read some of the negative comments about him after Saturday's game against Motherwell. I thought he had an excellent game and there were times in the second half when he was virtually the only player clearing the ball from Motherwell's set pieces.

johndawgylt

Rubens been good for us but it's time to let him go. We could get a much better player for the money he's on. He'll leave with my best wishes though.

itsnomarooned

Found this. Just part of an interview a while back.

I can remember when he was being asked about his thoughts on the derby. (Smoke bombs, coins ECT.) He then replied ' I've had Whole Chickens and mobile phones thrown at me so this was nothing.' He basically laughed about all the hysteria made from very little.

RUBEN! :thumbsup:

Personally I think Ruben is a great player and a versatile asset to the team though I appreciate the potential wage dilemma facing the club. However (and it's an important however), for the reason highlighted above we should 100% keep him. Fantastic - how many of us could lay claim to such a boast?

Is this for Real?

Black is not nor has been nor ever will be a better player than Ruben!!!!!!!

Yes.

I feel they are both very similar in most aspects of their game, apart from Ruben being better defensively in the air, and Black being better at picking out a forward pass. Also, whilst neither has a good scoring record, if the ball was to fall to one of them on the edge of the box to strike, I'd rather it was Black swinging a leg than Ruben.

What aspects of Ruben's game do you feel are better than Black's?

Yes.

I feel they are both very similar in most aspects of their game, apart from Ruben being better defensively in the air, and Black being better at picking out a forward pass. Also, whilst neither has a good scoring record, if the ball was to fall to one of them on the edge of the box to strike, I'd rather it was Black swinging a leg than Ruben.

Black is murder at shooting. How many times does he get in a good position then sky it miles over (right or left footed)!? I'd choose Ruben any day. He's more likely to ensure a shot is on target than trying to hit it hard.

I feel Ruben gets it a bit tight on here. Yes it looks like he gets pulled out to the left a lot but thats because Rudi doesnt bother a leg to get back half the time. IMO he's a solid player who is useful but I do appreciate that he's on high wages that may be better used elsewhere.

Riddley Walker

Yes.

Seriously?

Archived