Winning away in Glasgow to

Queens Park

Rangers

and

then away to Celtic in the final

Hibernians 1 Celtic 0 Scottish Cup Final 26th April 1902

1902042601.jpg

Jam Tarts 1874

They should also be congratulated for managing to avoid relegation this season, only a stay of execution though.

londonjambo

Amused to see that as many as 10,000 turned out to see the Cup return to Edinburgh. That's more than they get for a home game therse days :turned:

Also noticed that their President was a Mr. Farmer - any relation ??

GC

Had my father lived he would have been 103 and still not have known Hibernians winning the Scottish Cup! :lol:

Great find Davie!

:D

How could the teachers of later Brazil sides take part in a "dull and spiritless game"? Surely an early example of west-coast media bias.

gorgie_rebel

Amused to see that as many as 10,000 turned out to see the Cup return to Edinburgh. That's more than they get for a home game therse days :turned:

GC

Apparently so

http://www.edinburghspotlight.com/2010/01/hibs-article/

"Early mismanagement of the football club saw a temporary demise and hiatus in Hibernian?s history in 1891 when they ceased to exist for a single season. Before this however the club had managed to become ?World Champions? by defeating the mighty English giants Preston North End! Hibernian re-emerged a very different club, open and inclusive to all, masterminded by the drive, ambition and loving care of Philip Farmer (ancestor of present owner Sir Tom Farmer), and his associates."

Coburg Hearts

GC

Think it's his grandfather, I pass his headstone in Seafield cemetery quite often.

londonjambo

Apparently so

http://www.edinburgh...1/hibs-article/

"Early mismanagement of the football club saw a temporary demise and hiatus in Hibernian?s history in 1891 when they ceased to exist for a single season. Before this however the club had managed to become ?World Champions? by defeating the mighty English giants Preston North End! Hibernian re-emerged a very different club, open and inclusive to all, masterminded by the drive, ambition and loving care of Philip Farmer (ancestor of present owner Sir Tom Farmer), and his associates."

Interesting - thanks.

Incidentally, that passage also provides the answer to the "going bust" point on this thread. They went bust in 1891 and then reformed after that. The club that won the Cup in 1902 was the new club.

GC

stevieboobs

Think it's his grandfather, I piss on his headstone in Seafield cemetery quite often.

changed that for you

gorgie_rebel

Just noticed this in the same piece

:facepalm:

Jam Tarts 1874

Just noticed this in the same piece

Yup, you just know that this will be added to their - ahem! "impressive" list!

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

Although it his hilarious that they haven't won it in so long , I still wouldn't like to congratulate them for winning in 1902 . Because I hate them .

Pah .

londonjambo

Yup, you just know that this will be added to their - ahem! "impressive" list!

Wasnt uncommon in those days for the English and Scottish cup winners to play off to see who would be "World Champions"

And if Hibs did try to boast about it .... well, we can always retort that we did it too :whistling:

First Leg

Second Leg

Fortunately, we have too much class to boast about something as clearly meaningless as that

GC

The Old Tolbooth

Shame they went bust...

They didn't, it was the side that won the cup before them that went bust, it still angers the Lochenders when you remind them that they've only won the big cup once in their history :D

They didn't, it was the side that won the cup before them that went bust, it still angers the Lochenders when you remind them that they've only won the big cup once in their history :D

Wasn't the reason the edinburgh immigrants folded for a season due to a mass exodus of their players going through to the weege to play for another irish immigrant team? - which consequently left them with no players? :lol:

Ah well, **** them. I'm still not congratulating them for being a hopeless shower of inept arseholes.

In keeping with my sarcasm in my previous post, it would be a shame if this 'new' team went bust.

Hearts Heritage

All joshing aside when Hearts won the cup for a fourth time in 1906. It was remarked that Hearts having drawn level with Celtic and Rangers on 4 wins they would go on and surpass them....

If they get angry at that you should also remind them that Vale of Leven have won the cup 6 times, and mighty Renton have won it 3 times.

That's just one of the reasons that Hibs are widely known as LOSERS.

All joshing aside when Hearts won the cup for a fourth time in 1906. It was remarked that Hearts having drawn level with Celtic and Rangers on 4 wins they would go on and surpass them....

Indeed! We at least tried I suppose. :D

In the Metro last week, there was an article about the oldest man in the world, who is currently 115 years old.

The next big milestone will be when no human lives who was about when they last won the cup.

londonjambo

In the Metro last week, there was an article about the oldest man in the world, who is currently 115 years old.

The next big milestone will be when no human lives who was about when they last won the cup.

Yes, I think the problem with this will be that medical science is advancing faster than Hibs are improving.

I'm sure I heard on the radio some scientist saying yesterday that people who are alive now will live until they are well over 150 and that it wont be long before people can effectively live indefinitely.

So, nice idea but sadly science may well beat us before that happens

GC

Yes, I think the problem with this will be that medical science is advancing faster than Hibs are improving.

I'm sure I heard on the radio some scientist saying yesterday that people who are alive now will live until they are well over 150 and that it wont be long before people can effectively live indefinitely.

GC

Possibly.

I don't think that science will get people living to 200 within 89 years though. GC; BELIEVE!thumbsup.gif

Coburg Hearts

GC

That is for people who were born in the last few years, not anyone who was born 109 years ago.........................unless they can arise from the dead. :D

Possibly.

I don't think that science will get people living to 200 within 89 years though. GC; BELIEVE!thumbsup.gif

Anyone watching Hibernian week by week will not be interested in living to 200.

:lol: :lol:

Getintaethem

GC

Even people living indefinitely might not see Hibs win the cup. :teehee:

Wasn't the reason the edinburgh immigrants folded for a season due to a mass exodus of their players going through to the weege to play for another irish immigrant team? - which consequently left them with no players? :lol:

That was the final nail in the coffin but interest in following an exclusively Irish side had begun to wane in Edinburgh by 1888 anyway which is why the new version of the club had to reinvent itself as something more inclusive. If they hadn't then Hearts might have ended up playing Derbies against Saint Bernards or Leith Primrose

Coburg Hearts

That was the final nail in the coffin but interest in following an exclusively Irish side had begun to wane in Edinburgh by 1888 anyway which is why the new version of the club had to reinvent itself as something more inclusive. If they hadn't then Hearts might have ended up playing Derbies against Saint Bernards or Leith Primrose

At least the derbies wouldn't have been so one sided had we done so. :whistling:

Archived