True Grit.............John Wayne

Ben Dover

Watched this again tonight ....................feckin superb :thumbsup:

Every line spoken by Wayne is an absolute cracker :)

Craig Herbertson

Watched this again tonight ....................feckin superb :thumbsup:

Every line spoken by Wayne is an absolute cracker :)

You're right

The Treasurer

Agree it's a decent film but I always thought that JW was a terrible actor, more wooden than a log cabin

winchester 73

John Wayne always played John Wayne. Maybe not a great actor but a great movie star. I dont know why the coen bros remade true grit (they got ten oscar nominations and won none. I rest my case) or the ladykillers for that matter. Fekin crazy.

red river

stagecoach

the searchers

the man who shot liberty valance

true grit

the shootist

sands of iwa jima

she wore a yellow ribbon

the alamo

Played himself in every film. Didnt play lawyers or schoolteachers or ****** and didnt really need to. I think Wayne new his capabilities.

John Wayne always played John Wayne. Maybe not a great actor but a great movie star. I dont know why the coen bros remade true grit (they got ten oscar nominations and won none. I rest my case) or the ladykillers for that matter. Fekin crazy.

Regarding the bit in bold, aye that's right. They got 10 oscar nominations for one film. JW was nominated for three over his entire career. He was great to watch though, just as Coen Brothers flicks are usually brilliant. Awards mean very little, especially Oscars these days. Status only.

alwaysthereinspirit

red river

stagecoach

the searchers

the man who shot liberty valance

true grit

the shootist

sands of iwa jima

she wore a yellow ribbon

the alamo

Played himself in every film. Didnt play lawyers or schoolteachers or ****** and didnt really need to. I think Wayne new his capabilities.

The Searchers was one of my favorites.

winchester 73

I love the coen brothers films. Mostly. Ive now seen both versions of true grit and I think to myself regarding the remake, what was the point?

Emperor's new clothes? :whistling:

probably to bring it to a new audience that wouldnt watch John wayne films?

as far as remakes go, I could name at least a dozen in the last 5 years that were coplete barrell scrapers. This wasnt one of them. I enjoyed the remake, it was a proper sunday matinee cowboy story. The little girls acting was brilliant, just because it didnt win an Oscar doesnt mean it wasnt a good remake.

Titanic and The blind side have both won best picture and they are utter guff.

winchester 73

The little girls acting was brilliant,

So was kim darby in the original. I didnt think the coen bros film was bad, i just didnt think it was any different. Hence , what was the point.

The Real Maroonblood

Agree it's a decent film but I always thought that JW was a terrible actor, more wooden than a log cabin

That'll be the day.

:rolleyes:

So was kim darby in the original. I didnt think the coen bros film was bad, i just didnt think it was any different. Hence , what was the point.

The coen brothers was truer to the book,better acting also.Loved both films but for J Wayne to get an Oscar for best actor no way should that happen.Whoever lost out to him must have been sick at the time.

I read the book with the coen's version in mind but still could not visualize Bridges as Rooster.

The Real Maroonblood

The coen brothers was truer to the book,better acting also.Loved both films but for J Wayne to get an Oscar for best actor no way should that happen.Whoever lost out to him must have been sick at the time.

I read the book with the coen's version in mind but still could not visualize Bridges as Rooster.

The Duke deserved the Oscar. Fact.

:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
jamboinglasgow

Bought the original last week for ?4 from HMV. Really enjoyed it. Kim Darby is fantastic in it. I also like John Wayne, i dont care if people say he is wooden, he is enjoyable.

As much as I love the coen brothers I can't say they followed the book more than the original.

Many things made up for the first film that never happened in the book made it into the new one.

Archived