Hearts 85/86 season on BBC1 next Friday!

basscom

BBC1 are showing a repeat of the Hearts 'that was the team' documentary next Friday. It's all about the 85/86 season.

What a team!

:107years:

Great programme but I know I couldn't put myself through that again.

I wasn't even born at the time and I was just about crying watching that.

WorldChampions1902

The tears welling up in Doddie's eyes as he's being interviewed towards the end is a real choker. I'm not sure I can watch it again. :sad:

dodethejambo

Haven't watched that game since I stood in the stand on that fateful day and dont think I will watch it this time,

tho have watched the rest of the programme, we played some great football then

Pete Seeger

As someone who was the grand total of 1 year old at the time I'll be interested to watch it. Sad as it may be for any posters older than myself

I said to Doug and Keith, "See you in the centre circle at the end".

I never did. My transistor kept giving the score from Love Street, then that wee **** Kidd scored.

I never cried, I never have. But I was heart broken.

We stood at the end of the game, dumbfounded, we drove back to Edinburgh and not a word was spoken until we got home.

Doug said, "who was playing for St Mirren, Fitzpatrick and McGarvey"

The post mortem started then.

I watched it last time round, yes it's very painful to watch, but we should all be proud of the way Doddie and lads took the league by storm that year and so many good memories, especially 3-0 at Tannadice.

But i defy any Jambo not too get choked by wee Doddie at the end:sad:

Remain Nameless

Despite the criticism he has taken in the past, standing on the pitch long after the final whistle had gone, one Wallace Mercer emerged from the tunnel told us we were the greatest fans in the world, said he would see us at Hampden next week grabbed a scarf from the nearest fan and held it above his head.

How many chairmen now would even consider doing that?

He was cheered, we sang his name, I didn't cry but it was a fecking awful journey home, one of the worst days of my life, but I'll watch it again, repeating the pain sums up supporting this club!

BBC1 are showing a repeat of the Hearts 'that was the team' documentary next Friday. It's all about the 85/86 season.

What a team!

and won *** all, how come every other team featured won something,97/98 team would have been a better topic especially wi the hobos getting relegated the same season, another example of anti hearts programming

davemclaren
and won *** all, how come every other team featured won something,97/98 team would have been a better topic especially wi the hobos getting relegated the same season, another example of anti hearts programming

To be fair it is a poignant story. And we did similar in 64/65 and then got the rules changed so that it was goal difference and not goal average.

Of course, we would have won in 64/65 on goal difference and in 85/86 on goal average. That's what makes being a supporter of HMFC special. ;)

To be fair it is a poignant story. And we did similar in 64/65 and then got the rules changed so that it was goal difference and not goal average.

Of course, we would have won in 64/65 on goal difference and in 85/86 on goal average. That's what makes being a supporter of HMFC special. ;)

but we still won *** all, no need for the weegia to remind us

davemclaren
but we still won *** all, no need for the weegia to remind us

I think you are missing the deeper complexities around being a Hearts supporter. :)

I'm not watching that again. The subject still has lasting effects.

Never mind tears, I was traumatised for days afterwards too...

I think you are missing the deeper complexities around being a Hearts supporter. :)

No I'm not, I dont need a TV programme to remind me of that hideous day, I still think 97/98 season(1st trophy in 36 years) instead of yet another glorious failure would have been a better topic.:107years:

I was 12 at the time. I remember not being allowed to go to the game for some reason but my two Big Brothers went.

I was out having a kick- about with friends during the game. I remember it slowly becoming overcast, maybe a sign?:sad:

Anyway, i headed home knowing it was near full time. I sneaked into my house because my Mum always had a habit of running down the hall to tell me the score, i wanted to find out myself on the radio in my room.

I put on the radio and all i heard was "Kidd has scored again!" I`d never heard of Albert Kidd, only Walter. I really thought Zico had scored and i waited with anticipation at the commentator giving the score.........

Then 3 hours later my Dad came down to my room, in which i`d camped myself in with grief, and tried to tempt me out to have some tea while being quite red eyed himself..........

Couldnt go through it again,although being in the position to win it would be nice.

Suppose one good thing about being a hobo is that they will never ever have to worry about going through anything like it.

It was a fantastic season, with brilliant agressive team performances. They key ebing TEAM.

what cruel end - but it is part of our history. That was the season that convinved me I needed a ST after standing in queues. Where did everybody come from?

i was in spain the week after that dreaded day was flying over on the sat got off the plane to reveal we got ****ed by the dons 3-0 another heart breaking weekend.

duckandcover

I remember going with my grandad, was horrible worse day ever got a little bit better when my grandad battered a Dundonian taxi driver for laughing at him.

Was only 4 at the time so dont have any real time recollection, have seen the programme before and heard the stories from my dad and uncles as well as many others, soul destroying stuff. Might sound harsh but I'll raise a glass the day that **** Kidd passes. Doddie's interview on that programe would bring a tear to a glass eye. I've got a mate who wont even talk about that day, not sure how I'd handle it, guys who were there and still go are what following hearts is all about, a credit to the club.

We'll get ours one day, thats what keeps me going.

Was only 4 at the time so dont have any real time recollection, have seen the programme before and heard the stories from my dad and uncles as well as many others, soul destroying stuff. Might sound harsh but I'll raise a glass the day that **** Kidd passes. Doddie's interview on that programe would bring a tear to a glass eye. I've got a mate who wont even talk about that day, not sure how I'd handle it, guys who were there and still go are what following hearts is all about, a credit to the club.

We'll get ours one day, thats what keeps me going.

I`ve never understood bitterness towards him unless i`ve missed something personal he said etc... but otherwise he was a footballer just doing his job.

It`s the sc um who continually gloat about him scoring that gets to me.

Buffalo Bill

85/86 was a fantastic time to be a Hearts fan.

But the ending, as Towzer said was "the worst day of my life".

I was 12 years old and it destroyed me when we lost it at the death.

But I'm still proud of that team. Incredible memories.

Buffalo Bill

Im on at the end with my wonderful mullet and stonewash denims,thought I was the dugs baws tae:confused:

Anyway it will bring a wee tear to my eye again no doubt:(

davemclaren
Im on at the end with my wonderful mullet and stonewash denims,thought I was the dugs baws tae:confused:

You were a man of some style IIRC. :P

I was there and it was soul destroying.

I deliberately never watched the programme the first time round but BigHusref stuck it on the end of the 2006 Cup Final and Sundays celebrations DVD he made for me.

I think everyone should watch it again.

Millars Bar

I remember it well, you resembled a young Bob Carrolgees.

All that was missing was a (puppet) dog with your hand up it.

;)

The tears welling up in Doddie's eyes as he's being interviewed towards the end is a real choker. I'm not sure I can watch it again. :sad:

Sums up my feelings having watched the programme the last time round.

I was there and it was soul destroying.

I deliberately never watched the programme the first time round but BigHusref stuck it on the end of the 2006 Cup Final and Sundays celebrations DVD he made for me.

I think everyone should watch it again.

You are very welcome!

I put it on as a "lest we forget" addition to the celebration. I remember vividly linking 86 to 98 at the time and thought it was appropriate.

As for Lou's comment about Doddie, Lou, I was greetin' all the way through, never mind Doddie! I am a big sap though.

It was awful.Should have been the best day of my life after watching Hearts all through the 70s. There was a guy crying his eyes out in front of me and another Hearts fan put his arm round him and said come on mate its only a game.Cant post the reply,but the friendly Hearts fan had to make a quick retreat. :sad:

was there with my Dad, brother and my Dad's mates.

No wish to watch it again as watched the programme last time. Was a brilliant season though. I know we never won anything but...

You are very welcome!

I put it on as a "lest we forget" addition to the celebration. I remember vividly linking 86 to 98 at the time and thought it was appropriate.

As for Lou's comment about Doddie, Lou, I was greetin' all the way through, never mind Doddie! I am a big sap though.

Yup, utterly jessiefied. :P

Just thinking about this programme though, I hope Vlad has seen it....the timing of the broadcast is appropriate.

Gigolo-Aunt

But I'm still proud of that team. Incredible memories.

Buffalo Bill

Think thats sums it up rather well.

From October to the last 180 minutes the best ever season to be a Hearts Supporter. How bloody typical that for almost all that period there was no television coverage of the season. Thats the biggest problem with this programme, most of our best performances aren't on it.

1-0 win at Darkhied

2-0 win at Hunbrox (should have been 6) with the biggest Hearts support I've ever seen there.

Beating the huns 4 times.

Unbeaten against the tims.

1-0 win at Aberdeen where they hadn't lost for months.

3 wins and a draw against the wee team.

I'm almost convinced that the Weegie media knew what we were going to do and deliberately fell our with the SPL so we would never be able to watch it. Or perhaps I'm just paraniod.

PC Handwringer

Wonder if the ref that day crombie is watchn his life was never ever been the same after still gets his car done in to this day 20 years on still oneof the biggest fixes ever bad to blame others but st mirren lay down and let themselves be shafted by the tic

winston churchill

What a team!

i think you will find that, there will be more hobo watching getting their cheapies than us.

I remember it well, you resembled a young Bob Carrolgees.

All that was missing was a (puppet) dog with your hand up it.

;)

Glad you said puppet dug Skonzo,will phone you tomorrow.

Romanov, Lopez et al should be tied into chairs and made to watch it. They would see what this great club means to us. I was at Dens with my Brother and I,m not ashamed to say I cried on the way home.

The Hearts fans at the cup final the next week were awesome.That was SUPPORTING the Hearts.

The Jambo Janny

Oh sad days indeed - I was playing in a golf match that day came into the clubhouse at quarter to five in anticipation of a 'wee' celebration only to see the tv and our poor dejected lads sitting in tears. I was stunned -walked out in a daze- into the car drove home -realised 6 hours later i had left my clubs lying outside the golf club and had driven home in the golf shoes!! golf was crap as well!!!:sad:

Denny Crane

Rumour has it representatives of Juventus could only watch with awe at St Mirren's final match of that season.........

Denny Crane

I've noticed what the boys on Hibsnet are saying about this. To our dear chums down Leith way, when was the last time your team went into the final day of the season in contention for the league title?

I was 15 at the time and went to the game with my Grandad. We could only get tickets for the South Stand as the place was a sell out. We had been unbeaten since September, With 15 minutes to go I jumped down to the terracing just in time to see them score. I was stunned, shocked and then the 2nd went in. I was in tears, I remember the bus journey going back through ****dee and wee tim rages jumpin about all over the place. Got off the bus at Clerry and got ****ed in an attempt to blank it out. That week was a daze, went through to the cup final the next week but I think we knew that it wasn't going to be our day.

Some of the memories from that season were awesome, Robbos goal at Dundee Utd, beating der hun 4 times that season, but we should have beaten Aberdeen with 3 games left. The team were amazing, the whole club and fans bonded that season.

I might take another sneaky look at the programme on BBC for all the good memories.

Archived