Under 19's

Getintaethem

well done lads ,nice to complete a quick "hun" double . pity about denis ,hopefully we will get a glimpse of him shortly in the first team.

Footballfirst

It wasn't a great game but Hearts still fully deserved their win. It came at a cost though, with both Denis Prychynenko and Chris Kane both on crutches at the end.

Rangers set up very defensively in the first half and relied on long balls up to their striker Kane Hemmings who was well marshalled for the most part by Colin Hamilton and Jamie McCormack. There was little of note in the first half with neither keeper having to make a save although Hearts increasingly dominated possession as the half progressed. The main talking point was the injury to Denis Prychynenko who had to go off with a twisted knee. Let's hope it's not too serious and that he can get a run out with the first team before the end of the season. Callum Paterson replaced Denis after 31 minutes. Hearts only chance of the half fell to Jordan Morton who volleyed over from 8 yeards after Rob Ogleby unsettled the Rangers defence.

Rangers replaced Kal Naismith and Kane Hemmings at half time, clearly saving then for Wednesday's Youth Cup Final at Hampden. Hearts continued to have the better possession and territorial advantage as Rangers were hardly seen in the final third. Rob Ogleby missed a great chance on 52 minutes after Callum Paterson set him up with a great pass into the right channel. Rob outpaced the defenders but his angled shot was wall saved by Drummond, the Rangers keeper.

Hearts were hit by a second injury blow after 58 minutes when Chris Kane took a sore one on the shin and had to be helped off. Chris Tobin came on in his place. Two minutes later Hearts went ahead. Fraser Mullen took a corner on the left that was only half cleared and the ball was fed back out to him. Fraser whipped a great ball into the far post and Callum Paterson knocked the ball back into the path of captain Colin Hamilton who hooked the ball into the net from six yards, unusually with his right foot (he normally only uses it to stand on :rolleyes: )

It was a lead that Hearts were not to give up. They continued to pass and probe forward with Jason Holt prominent. Hamilton headed another Mullen corner just wide and Jordan Morton had a couple of decent defforts from distance that just went wide. Billy King relaced Rob Ogleby with five minutes left and he too created a couple of half chances. Rangers created one chance themelves late on but the shot was hit wide of the target.

The win puts Hearts back on top of the league with only one game left. However, they still need Celtic to lose to Motherwell tomorrow if the league is to go to the final game.

Best for Hearts were Jason Holt, Jordan Morton and my MOTM, Colin Hamilton.

Hearts line up

Hamilton

Mullen McCormack Hamilton McHattie

Morton Kane (Tobin) Prychynenko (Paterson) Holt Smith

Ogleby (King)

jamboinglasgow

well done lads ,nice to complete a quick "hun" double . pity about denis ,hopefully we will get a glimpse of him shortly in the first team.

We can only hope but he was on crutches after the match, so was Chris Kane.

It was a great result for Hearts, dont know when the last time the under 19s won all their matches against Rangers in the season. It was strange to see how they out passed and played Rangers. Great goal by Colin Hamilton.

I must say I thought until he got injured Chris Kane looked a great player, Jason Holt is classy as he holds onto the ball very well and passes it about nicely, Callum Patterson made a real impact when he came on and the back four looked really strong.

Team (for those interested)

J. Hamilton

Mullen, McCormack, C.Hamilton, McHattie

Morton, Prychnenko (Patterson,) Holt, Kane (Tobin) Smith

Ogleby (King)

Footballfirst

The win puts Hearts back on top of the league with only one game left. However, they still need Celtic to lose to Motherwell tomorrow if the league is to go to the final game.

:verymad: I'm talking through a hole in my head, Hearts are two points behind with one game left.

Thought the young JT's looked the better side throughout and despite a very dodgy pitch passed it around very well.

Pity about the injuries, hope neither is serious. I thought Fraser Mullen was the best player on the park, very composed and efficient in defence and very effective going forward!

Well done guys, let's hope 'Well do us a favour and you get a pop at shellik!

:verymad: I'm talking through a hole in my head, Hearts are two points behind with one game left.

I dont know if you can confirm this or not FF but I hear that jordan mortan is getting a new deal but he isnt to sure of how long its going to be for, seems to me a decent player but a bit quick with the attitude and backchat with his own team

Footballfirst

I dont know if you can confirm this or not FF but I hear that jordan mortan is getting a new deal but he isnt to sure of how long its going to be for, seems to me a decent player but a bit quick with the attitude and backchat with his own team

I don't know who or how many of the final year U19s are being kept on, although I did hear today that Colin Hamilton has been given another year's contract.

Charlie-Brown

I'd like to see Jason Holt get a run out in the first team. Is Jamie Walker injured just now?

jambos are go!

I thought the boy Paterson did well when be came on and showed real composite to set up the goal

I cant see why Oglesby is not as worthy of a chance on the bench at least along with Denys who everything went through because he constantly makes himself available.

Footballfirst

Jamie Walker is out for 6 weeks, he'll be back in time for pre-season.

I spoke to Jamie and Aaron Murdoch today. Jamie had an op to remove a bit of cartliage on Monday and as you said will be able to resume training in 6 weeks. Aaron doesn't get his op until the 1st week in May, then will be out for an estimated 6 to 9 months after that.

Real shame for Denis as he has played well all season & was on verge of appearing for first team. Hope it's not too serious!

Ryan Gosling

Gary Locke called down to ask if Denis was alright after he was taken off, and got a thumbs up back. Hopefully not too serious.

Also to add, the 19s will be on the pitch at halftime tomorrow to collect the trophy they won last weekend

Denis was standing near me during the second half. He was on crutches, but had both feet on the ground when standding and didn't have any strapping on his knee

good performance in general and holt, morton, Mullen, mchattie to name but a few all look like having futures. picked up on Morton and your point re attitude. he will need to sort that cos he looks like he has the ability but wd be acshame if he wasted it by this attitude. Rob Ogelby threaded a ball through and one point and it was as much to do with him not reading it although was also

not a great pass and he shouted Ogilbys name repeatedly simply to get his attention and berate him saying something along the lines of " what the f@@@ was that meant to be"

he would be better advised to quit the verbals and concentrate on his game especially as he appears to have it.

J.T.F.Robertson

I'm a bit late with this, but I know you'll be waiting on my analysis. :rolleyes:

Hearts were by far the more accomplished side, much more comfortable on the ball, etc. I'm not familiar with most of the names, but I thought the two big kids at the back were well good, especially that Nasher guy, solid as a rock, he was. The right back was also a standout and the wee number 10 was very tidy on the ball, so much so in fact, he looked as if he could fit in at Hibs. :whistling:

All in all a good afternoon out ,with the sun even making an appearance for the second half. :thumbsup:

Just been told Celtic are winning 3-0 at half-time so looks like the title will be theirs!

Shame, but doesn't take away from it being s great season for the team

Harry Palmer

Where's our real Yoof reporter who tells the real facts about the younglings?

:rolleyes:

Ach well, horse Sellick next then.

Where's our real Yoof reporter who tells the real facts about the younglings?

:rolleyes:

Ach well, horse Sellick next then.

He's through watching the Celtic game

Footballfirst

Yup, Celtic duly beat Motherwell 4-0 this morning to clinch the title. Greg Spence got a hat trick and Tony Watt the other. Motherwell didn't help themselves with a howler from their keeper after 2 mins and Watt's goal was more of a cross than a shot.

TBF Celtic have played well this season, scored a barrowload of goals, conceded very few and only lost one game. I suspect that thay may play a young team against Hearts next Saturday in the final game. Hearts could be struggling, with injuries and first team duties, so it may not be a bad thing.

Jambosr1985

Best player on view was the Rangers No 9, they took him off at HT, if he had been with us he would be first team for sure at moment re our lack of Strikers.

Getintaethem

Yup, Celtic duly beat Motherwell 4-0 this morning to clinch the title. Greg Spence got a hat trick and Tony Watt the other. Motherwell didn't help themselves with a howler from their keeper after 2 mins and Watt's goal was more of a cross than a shot.

TBF Celtic have played well this season, scored a barrowload of goals, conceded very few and only lost one game. I suspect that thay may play a young team against Hearts next Saturday in the final game. Hearts could be struggling, with injuries and first team duties, so it may not be a bad thing.

Darn. Still, it's been a good effort from the youngsters this season. Hope to see at least two or three make first team appearances before the end of the season.

The Old Tolbooth

How many of Celtic's youth players will be given a chance though? Rarely do they bring them through the ranks and into the first team, whereas Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd etc have no choice but to bleed these players through and develop them.

Sexton Hardcastle

Pretty different situations to be fair.

Our season is usually (and should be) over by this stage of the season. Always nice to see some of the youngsters get a run out in the close season.

Celtic tend to have something to play for unless they have pissed the league either way. Forrest/McGinn/O'Dea/McGowan are the only ones i've noticed to have come through in the past year or so.

The Old Tolbooth

Pretty different situations to be fair.

Our season is usually (and should be) over by this stage of the season. Always nice to see some of the youngsters get a run out in the close season.

Celtic tend to have something to play for unless they have pissed the league either way. Forrest/McGinn/O'Dea/McGowan are the only ones i've noticed to have come through in the past year or so.

Did Forrest come through the ranks? I honestly thought they bought him recently, I must pay attention to under 19 football a bit closer. :wacko:

Out of them I'd say O'Dea is the only regular starter at Celtic, whereas we have a few at Tynie, as do Hibs, Dundee Utd etc. The problem with the youth players at Celtic is that their stakes are higher, and instead of bleeding through the youngsters, they simply go out and spend/waste ?3-4M on someone who steps in to replace them, Rangers until recently were doing the same but have been forced to bring through their younger players now, and it's not doing them any harm really on the field, and it's also about time too as these players will develop and turn Scottish football into a better product long term. It must be gutting for a youth player on the verge of a breakthrough who is working their guts out every week, to see their club then go out and purchase some foreigner for big bucks and relegate them back down the pecking order again.

Vlad-Stupid

Did Forrest come through the ranks? I honestly thought they bought him recently, I must pay attention to under 19 football a bit closer. :wacko:

Out of them I'd say O'Dea is the only regular starter at Celtic, whereas we have a few at Tynie, as do Hibs, Dundee Utd etc. The problem with the youth players at Celtic is that their stakes are higher, and instead of bleeding through the youngsters, they simply go out and spend/waste ?3-4M on someone who steps in to replace them, Rangers until recently were doing the same but have been forced to bring through their younger players now, and it's not doing them any harm really on the field, and it's also about time too as these players will develop and turn Scottish football into a better product long term. It must be gutting for a youth player on the verge of a breakthrough who is working their guts out every week, to see their club then go out and purchase some foreigner for big bucks and relegate them back down the pecking order again.

That's what happened to the burd's wee cousin, he came up through the ranks at Celtic but was told by Strachan he would struggle to get any first team action so he left and signed for the Lochend Cockends. Personally I'd have given up football altogether than play for that mob :ninja: must be quite daunting for young players trying to make a career for themselves, especially now there's no reserve league.

Footballfirst

The OF, in the past, had enough money to buy experienced and proven players without the need to bring through the youngsters. Most of the top teams operate in that way with only the most exceptionally talented players going directly into the first team. Even Arsenal, who have a good record of bringing through youngsters, allowed Wilshire and Ramsay to go out on loan to aid their development.

Now that money is so tight, particularly at Ibrox, they have been forced to give opportunities to Danny Wilson (now Liverpool), Jamie Ness and Greg Wylde in recent times.

jambosr - the Rangers No. 9 was Kane Hemmings, who is a good player and has scored a few goals, but it was his first game back after a few games out with a hamstring injury. Rangers took him off at half time to save him for the youth cup final on Wednesday. The MOTM on Friday was Colin Hamilton, who handled Hemmings well and denied him any goal scoring opportunities. Perhaps you failed to notice that the score was Rangers Nil.

Sexton Hardcastle

I'm pretty sure he came through the ranks.

I know what your saying about foreigners being bought and that. It does happen with british players brought in on frees.

A few boys in my year played for hibs and were on the brink of first team action. Playing regularly for the scotland set up and then suddenly being cut in favour for more experienced players. Another fault since the cut of the reserve league. I think both now play part time for lower league teams. Pretty brutal as they well could have had the edge given more of a chance.

Is there any plans for the reserve league next season?

Jambosr1985

"jambosr - the Rangers No. 9 was Kane Hemmings, who is a good player and has scored a few goals, but it was his first game back after a few games out with a hamstring injury. Rangers took him off at half time to save him for the youth cup final on Wednesday. The MOTM on Friday was Colin Hamilton, who handled Hemmings well and denied him any goal scoring opportunities. Perhaps you failed to notice that the score was Rangers Nil"

Thats not the game i saw then, he stuck out like a sore thumb, he made a mess out of our centre halves in the first half a few times, you are blinkered if you did not see that, i would like any other Hearts fans at game to confirm that please.

Footballfirst

"jambosr - the Rangers No. 9 was Kane Hemmings, who is a good player and has scored a few goals, but it was his first game back after a few games out with a hamstring injury. Rangers took him off at half time to save him for the youth cup final on Wednesday. The MOTM on Friday was Colin Hamilton, who handled Hemmings well and denied him any goal scoring opportunities. Perhaps you failed to notice that the score was Rangers Nil"

Thats not the game i saw then, he stuck out like a sore thumb, he made a mess out of our centre halves in the first half a few times, you are blinkered if you did not see that, i would like any other Hearts fans at game to confirm that please.

You are entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to mine. I agree Hemmings was Rangers best player in the first half but for all his contribution Rangers created zero shots on target while he was on the park, which isn't what you would hope for from your top striker. (and yes, I know that Hearts didn't have any efforts on target in the 1st half either).

Football is all about opinions, & I'd say that FF is fairly accurate in his assessment of Hearts 19s. He's seen almost everygame & I think offers an honest assessment on what has been a fairly decent season for them. I know he isn't one to slate young guys making it in the game on here

I myself have to say that we all get in wrong. I watched the youth cup final a few years back - Hibs beat Rangers - & thought Smith (hibs) looked a much better prospect than Wilson (Rangers) - yet with respect to Scott(as I know him) Wilson has obviously done much better so I guess I mean you can't always judge a player on 1 game or 1 persons opinion

Just to say that Denis had his scan today & has some damage to a ligament in his knee. Not too bad, reckon 4 weeks out. He's hopeful of being back by end of season, but is realistically looking to pre-season to come back. Indicated that he is staying on & will be working hard over the summer to et ready for first team pre-season!

Footballfirst

Just to say that Denis had his scan today & has some damage to a ligament in his knee. Not too bad, reckon 4 weeks out. He's hopeful of being back by end of season, but is realistically looking to pre-season to come back. Indicated that he is staying on & will be working hard over the summer to et ready for first team pre-season!

Great news - I was a bit worried seeing him on crutches. Probably better that he misses out on the rest of the season though than risk further injury.

51 Shirts -Moments in Time

Thats great news. I was told he had an injury and could be out for up to 6 months...so much better than expected.

The Old Tolbooth

That's what happened to the burd's wee cousin, he came up through the ranks at Celtic but was told by Strachan he would struggle to get any first team action so he left and signed for the Lochend Cockends. Personally I'd have given up football altogether than play for that mob :ninja: must be quite daunting for young players trying to make a career for themselves, especially now there's no reserve league.

That's sick as feck, imagine telling the lad he's not good enough, and then sending him to hell as a punishment, Celtic barstards!!

I hope your cousin makes a full recovery in years to come mate, no need for that treatment :(

Is there any plans for the reserve league next season?

I vaguely recall some managers asking for the reserve league to be brought back, however some chairmen are against it as it costs clubs more money to have two teams on the go I believe, I hope I'm wrong on this, but I can't see the reserve league making a comeback anytime soon as long as chairmen are against the idea.

Archived