Favourite band whilst at High School

droid

Round about the time i started liking music for myself and not what my mum and dad listened to in the house.

Can remember the first time i heard Guns n Roses, probably the first time i'd ever heard a sweary word in a song....Instantly hooked!

Yip GNR from about 11 years old then Nirvana from about 13. B)

Used to get my cheapies with the sweary bit in 'get in the ring' came on :lol:

Say What Again
Used to get my cheapies with the sweary bit in 'get in the ring' came on :lol:

Mines would be Happy Mondays/Stone Roses.

Though I did wait outside Ripping Records to buy Use Your Illusion :lol:

rossthejambo

Green Day would probably be my favourites when I first started getting into music.

the bands i was in to at school are still me favourite bands. all the main ones are still on the go now and i left school about 26 years ago.

:lol:

The People's Chimp

Mmm, well depends on age group. At high school going into 1st 2nd 3rd year there was a big "hardcore" scene with people passing about recordings from raves all over the country. Some of the London stuff I'd actually like to hear again (loved a tape of ratty and mastervibe?) , same can't be said for the Rez stuff or Bassy G! :facepalm: My brother had decks and we used to go to the bass generator shop - cant remember where it was, maybe down the bottom of the high st? - to pick up records, and I think we used to get some from downstairs at fopp though I'm not sure. Ultrasonic and all that pish was doing the rounds as well as the rumour that "carl cox was dead" (anyone else hear that?)....I remember we used to subject my parents to these ridiculous tapes on drives down to the alps or south of france. :vrface:

After that though, at 14, in 1994, definitely maybe came out and changed everything. I was a huge charlatans fans, especially after seeing them at the Livingston Forum in Nov 1995 (this concernt has been the subject of numerous threads and posts on here) when they blew me away, they were definitely at the top of their game and the whole death of rob collins is a definite "what if...?" moment as I think he kept their sound a bit more grounded, heavy, rocking. So there was lot of black grape, stone roses, oasis stuff going on, although I was always also into beats. The Jeru album, wrath of the math is an all time classic hip hop LP, and it came out in 96, so at 16 I was also listening to ATCQ Beats, Rhymes and life, Jeru, Gangstarr, Tricky, Pressure Drop (Introduced to this and Blue lines by a German Political Researcher we met on a trip in 5th year with Modern Studies!) as well as the indie stuff. Oh yeah and the verve's a northern soul was perfect lock yourself in your room material, pscyhedelic enough in places, but swirling emotion and fantastic guitars mark it out as miles better than its follow up.

Great times. There was a real feeling of something happening in music, that 95/96 moment was pretty special and really exciting as someone just getting old enough to go to gigs and have illicit drinks...Obviously that came crashing down and enough's been written on the "last party" as the downfall of britpop* has been described.

*A horrible word, but useful.

Free.... by a country mile

Good call, mines were, Cream, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Taste, TYA, Sabbath, Small Faces, Ra Who, Quo, Skynrd, Hendrix, loads more.

Frankie Goes to Hollywood

The Cult

The Jesus and Mary Chain

The The

Dire Straits (!)

then later...

B.A.D.

The Beastie Boys

Run DMC

After that though, at 14, in 1994, definitely maybe came out and changed everything. I was a huge charlatans fans, especially after seeing them at the Livingston Forum in Nov 1995 (this concernt has been the subject of numerous threads and posts on here) when they blew me away, they were definitely at the top of their game and the whole death of rob collins is a definite "what if...?" moment as I think he kept their sound a bit more grounded, heavy, rocking. So there was lot of black grape, stone roses, oasis stuff going on, although I was always also into beats. The Jeru album, wrath of the math is an all time classic hip hop LP, and it came out in 96, so at 16 I was also listening to ATCQ Beats, Rhymes and life, Jeru, Gangstarr, Tricky, Pressure Drop (Introduced to this and Blue lines by a German Political Researcher we met on a trip in 5th year with Modern Studies!) as well as the indie stuff. Oh yeah and the verve's a northern soul was perfect lock yourself in your room material, pscyhedelic enough in places, but swirling emotion and fantastic guitars mark it out as miles better than its follow up.

Great times. There was a real feeling of something happening in music, that 95/96 moment was pretty special and really exciting as someone just getting old enough to go to gigs and have illicit drinks...Obviously that came crashing down and enough's been written on the "last party" as the downfall of britpop* has been described.

*A horrible word, but useful.

Feel exactly the same about the 1990/91 period, round about the time I started getting into booze, cigarettes, women and illegal drugs! Guess it probably depends when you were born, but we were both lucky to have such a quality soundtrack to that period of our lives!

Unlike kids now, who I feel extremely sorry for...

PsychocAndy

The Sex Pistols

The Clash

Buzzcocks

The Slits

The Mekons

The Ruts

The Stranglers

The Damned

Joy Division

I, on occasion, still get the vinyl out and give them a listen. Can't beat the feel of music on vinyl.

Suspect Device

SLF

The Clash

The Damned

The Ramones

Specials

Madness

Bad Manners

nothings realy changed B)

J Cheever Loophole

Sabbath,Purple,Rory,Bad Company and Montrose, feck I got a tear in my eye now.blink.gif

SLF

The Clash

Joy Division

The Banshees

Talkin Heads

Theatre Of Hate

The Damned

If I had to pick one out of the above it would be Joy Division.

3fingersreid

Madness

Specials

Bad Manners

The Jam

Big Country

cannae believe its 30 years ago tho :woot:

LOL. Here's DJ Ratty.....!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3buxHxJnXc

You know the score...

;)

Edit: Christ, I had this on a tape back in the day! :blink:

Ratty was my favourite DJ. His mixing and scratching was 2nd to none. :thumbsup:

I've been at the same house party as him too after a rave in Selkirk. Magic.

Back to the original point, my favourite band at high school was The Smiths. Still up there. :thumbsup:

scots civil war

the damned......i idolised them bigtime,saw them whilst at schoo,a matinee gig at the nite club and black album tour at the odeon 81-82

also faves were,

anti pasti

the ruts

buzzcocks

angelic upstarts

cockney rejects

skids

the specials

J Cheever Loophole

Not contemporary at the time, nor particularly fashionable now, but, Steely Dan.

No one, with even the tiniest ear for music could disagreethumbsup.gif

Robbo-Jambo

1. The Jam

2. The Undertones

3. SLF

4. The Pretenders

5. Madness

:thumbsup:

I used to work with a guy who was in the original line up for madness, but he left the band before they made it big.

The madness song 'bed & breakfast man' was written as a tribute to him. A top geezer who still works in Edinburgh.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

When I first started It would be from New Order, SLF, Specials, Clash, Big Country, S.O.D., Housemartins, Smiths, then Public Enemy, NWA, Beastie Boys, De La Soul, then Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, Primal Scream, Inspiral Carpets, Charlatans, New Fast Automatic Daffodils, Massive Attack (think they were just Massive at the time) & Teenage Fanclub. Still listen to all from time to time.

Mines would be Happy Mondays/Stone Roses.

Though I did wait outside Ripping Records to buy Use Your Illusion :lol:

Add The Farm and James. GNR were class for a sweaty band.

the bands i was in to at school are still me favourite bands. all the main ones are still on the go now and i left school about 26 years ago.

:lol:

Only 26 years ago :D

Jam Tarts 1874

The Sex Pistols burst onto the scene during my 1st year, suddenly no other music mattered.

I then become a big fan of The Jam and the Two Tone bands.

Adi Dassler

Anybody at High School between 1994 and 1996 who doesn't have Oasis in there is probably a liar.

Of course it is terribly unpopular to say so now.

Too many people these days up their own arses trying to re-write the musical landscape of the mid 1990's i think.

jambogaz1968

Blitz - Someone's gonna die tonite

Top Tune

someone broke into my house and stole it ...that's how good it was :thumbsup:

I'm currently at High School and my favourite bands are AC/DC, The Beatles and Led Zeppelin.

None of that rubbish in the charts.

there was only ONE band for me when i was a young teen

http://youtu.be/oOg5VxrRTi0

but i grew up loving music.. there were always records being played in our house and i still have a huge collection of vinyl

loved blondie too though, i sooooooooo wanted to look like debbie harry or err...

one of these girlswhistling.gif

http://youtu.be/x7QPBzAJ_io

links still not working for me :(

Archived