Raul leads Schalke fans in Champions League celebrations

jamboinglasgow

Walter Kidd

Indeed. :D

Come on, OAG! Let's be 'avin' you!

delia-smith.jpg

Well done on promotion. We have blown it.

shaun.lawson

It's hardly a sustainable model down there. It's bound to go awry at some point. Football on the TV has reached, and probably passed, saturation point. I can't see Sky chucking outrageous amounts of money at it forever.

I instinctively agree with this. But every time we talk about the bubble bursting, it steadfastly refuses to do so - so we'll just have to see.

Well done on promotion. We have blown it.

Cheers Zico. :thumbsup: But being realistic, Norwich almost certainly aren't anywhere near good enough to stay up yet, and we could lose Lambert in the summer too. Give it another year mate: Grayson's done a smashing job, and I imagine you should be in a position to hit the ground running in August, and put together a squad capable of going up and staying up.

shaun.lawson

Bundesliga hipsters on this forum...

:vrface:

I've had a suspicion for a while now that German football is especially popular on JKB because it's the antithesis of everything English football is:

- Low ticket prices

- Brilliant atmosphere in the stadia

- Fans allowed to stand

- Competitive, unpredictable, with a very good number of sides in with a chance of winning the title

- A young, vibrant national team without ego or celebrity playing fast, dynamic, attractive football

- And a system which prioritises the national team, and refuses to allow clubs to spend way beyond their means

Germany is the anti-England.

Only a Game

Indeed. :D

Come on, OAG! Let's be 'avin' you!

delia-smith.jpg

What is it you want Shaun ?

After the quarter final, did Schalke believe they had gone as far as they could in the tournament and were they effectively celebrating their cup final, psychologically chucking the towel in before a ball was kicked ? The answer is still No IMO. The suggestion is still ludicrous IMO. A team with that psyche would have crumbled long before the quarter final stage.

Did they get found out. Did they fail to turn up. Did they get completely outclassed and horsed oot the tournament with minimal resistance ? Yes of course they did, but then I didnt ever say they wouldnt.

shaun.lawson

What is it you want Shaun ?

After the quarter final, did Schalke believe they had gone as far as they could in the tournament and were they effectively celebrating their cup final, psychologically chucking the towel in before a ball was kicked ? The answer is still No IMO. The suggestion is still ludicrous IMO. A team with that psyche would have crumbled long before the quarter final stage.

Did they get found out. Did they fail to turn up. Did they get completely outclassed and horsed oot the tournament with minimal resistance ? Yes of course they did, but then I didnt ever say they wouldnt.

What I'm getting at is why they failed to turn up; why they produced the most inept performance from a Champions League semi-finalist in living memory.

It's because, as I suggested, their race was already run, and mentally, they had nothing left. Exactly the same reason why Spurs failed to turn up in the last eight.

blakdreem

I've had a suspicion for a while now that German football is especially popular on JKB because it's the antithesis of everything English football is:

- Low ticket prices

- Brilliant atmosphere in the stadia

- Fans allowed to stand

- Competitive, unpredictable, with a very good number of sides in with a chance of winning the title

- A young, vibrant national team without ego or celebrity playing fast, dynamic, attractive football

- And a system which prioritises the national team, and refuses to allow clubs to spend way beyond their means

Germany is the anti-England.

What is described here is fantastic, not because it is the opposite of English football but because it is fantastic.

jamboinglasgow

What I'm getting at is why they failed to turn up; why they produced the most inept performance from a Champions League semi-finalist in living memory.

It's because, as I suggested, their race was already run, and mentally, they had nothing left. Exactly the same reason why Spurs failed to turn up in the last eight.

you could say its like when a team is say 3-0 down, then stages a great come back to get it to 3-3, but sometimes the team having reached its goal of coming back just loses that urge as they sub-consciously feel they have reached their goal. Thus they look almost lost.

Fozzyonthefence

England have a stronger league than Spain. Take out Barca and Real and the league is rank rotten. Entertaining yes but not strong.

looks where Englands representative's finish in the Champions League year in year out to show this. there is also clubs like Man City and Liverpool who aren't in this seasons champions league who would easily finish 3rd in Spain.

Germany will have a stronger league than the Spanish with more support and better players and clubs in the next 5-10 year imo.

One of the daftest things I've read on JKB. IMO, the overall standard in La Liga is better than the EPL - it's generally more competitive although admittedly there are now dangers signs that the top two are going to dominate for a while.

There are regularly different teams qualifying for the Champions League spots in La Liga (rather than the same 4 teams all the time) and Valencia got to the final not that long ago. Their teams in the UEFA / Europa competitions usually perform much better than their English counterparts which suggests they have more strength in depth and didn't one of the teams about to get relegated win at the Camp Nou earlier this season - can't see any of the top English teams, let alone the dross at the bottom, managing that.

And how far have English teams progressed in the CL the last two seasons? OK, Man U are in the final but no other English teams made the semis and last year none made the semis. Compare to previous seasons where 3 English teams were getting to the semis regularly. I think there is a trend here as there are certainly no outstanding English teams at the moment and this has been reflected in their performances in Europe the last couple of seasons.

Add to that there are some really crap teams in the EPL that would get regularly horsed in La Liga.

Archived