Raul leads Schalke fans in Champions League celebrations

jamboinglasgow

shaun.lawson

That is a great touch, and his form there has really surprised me.

It's a very, very clear sign that Schalke's race is run, though: you can always tell from how a team reacts to winning a tie whether it really believes it can go any further. I thought Tottenham wildly over-celebrated knocking out Milan - and in this case, Schalke clearly feel they've played (and won) their final.

Which is a pity: because Dortmund, Schalke's great rivals, have actually won this tournament in recent memory, and it's not as though United are impregnable. I expect them to cruise through on that evidence, though.

jamboinglasgow

Schalke remain the most impressive away support I've seen at a Hearts "home" game thumbsup.gif

what was the song they kept singing, stuck in my head for months after the game but sadly have forgotten.

Maybe it's just me but I love that ability that is common in German, Spanish and most European teams of the organised chant, where they have one guy on a loudspeaker leading everyone else. It makes the hairs stand on the back of my neck when it booms out. I know some may cringe but I think it is sad that we cant use Tynecastle to its most effective, it is perfect for atmosphere, singing and chanting, where you can deafen the opposition due to its accoustics.

It's a very, very clear sign that Schalke's race is run, though: you can always tell from how a team reacts to winning a tie whether it really believes it can go any further. I thought Tottenham wildly over-celebrated knocking out Milan - and in this case, Schalke clearly feel they've played (and won) their final.

Which is a pity: because Dortmund, Schalke's great rivals, have actually won this tournament in recent memory, and it's not as though United are impregnable. I expect them to cruise through on that evidence, though.

I get your point and to be honest I probably agree with you. I can't see them getting past Man Utd. However, they have just comprehensively beaten the current champions of Europe and this is one of their best results in their history (along with another defeat of Inter in the Uefa cup a few years ago) so you can't really blame them for enjoying themselves and milking the moment.

Two fantastic semis coming up.There won't be much in the Man Utd/ Schalke game.Beating any team,never mind Inter,7-3 on agg is an amazing result.

I get your point and to be honest I probably agree with you. I can't see them getting past Man Utd. However, they have just comprehensively beaten the current champions of Europe and this is one of their best results in their history (along with another defeat of Inter in the Uefa cup a few years ago) so you can't really blame them for enjoying themselves and milking the moment.

That doesn't mean much as it was Jose Mourinho's side. They dug there own grave when they gave Laugha Benitez the job. :teehee:

colinmaroon

Don't count Schalke out!!!

Remember, Man U have never beaten German opposition in the Champions League Knock-out Stages!

Schalke remain the most impressive away support I've seen at a Hearts "home" game thumbsup.gif

Stuttgart fans for me. Brilliant songs and non stop noise.

I'll second that.

It does seem a bit ritualistic though, every time I see them do that celebration. Half expect them to march on the Sudetanland afterwards.

what was the song they kept singing, stuck in my head for months after the game but sadly have forgotten.

Maybe it's just me but I love that ability that is common in German, Spanish and most European teams of the organised chant, where they have one guy on a loudspeaker leading everyone else. It makes the hairs stand on the back of my neck when it booms out. I know some may cringe but I think it is sad that we cant use Tynecastle to its most effective, it is perfect for atmosphere, singing and chanting, where you can deafen the opposition due to its accoustics.

agreed

ToadKiller Dog

Been to see schalke a few times there support is amazing best i have been amongst ,except for ourselves , They certainly have an attack which can worry Man utd but my worry is there backline it will concede . I have a sneeky feeling they may make the final . I will be supporting my german side .

Was it no this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67OTnHrZwZM

They were a bloody amazing support though. I've had a soft spot for Schalke ever since.

(I love the fact that in that video you can hear a Dortmund fan shouting 'Schiesse null vier' over the 'Schalke null vier' parts. Nice to see some things are the same in every culture!)

Midloth_Iain

Their co-ordinated singing / atmosphere for the Utd game will be something special :thumbsup:

Rudolf's Mate

14/1 when they have humped Inter and are in the semi is good odds, I think.

Wow, I may have some of that!

Napoleon  Wilson

Been to see schalke a few times there support is amazing best i have been amongst ,except for ourselves , They certainly have an attack which can worry Man utd but my worry is there backline it will concede . I have a sneeky feeling they may make the final . I will be supporting my german side .

Top Post! :thumbsup:

:greatpost:

David Obua approves of this

with apologies for taking a good thread in a depressing direction, but i couldnt resist ....

Dear Mr Bain

Please find attached you tube footage of fans and players showing just how good it is when both can come together and celebrate success on the park in a clean, fun and entertaining way.

But you appease yourself with your moral crusade to defend the indefensible one million miles away from anything that is good in football.

Regards

PsychocAndy

I agree, but I still to this day blame Paddy Kisnorbo for us losing that game.

Jam Tarts 1874

When one looks at how much Schalke and Braga have progressed in relation to us since we played them, it is quite sickening.

rudi must stay

I wouldn't say that at all, it was a game they weren't expected to win so they perhaps over-celebrated. But their players will be flying at the moment

Only a Game

Aye they've just thrashed Inter Milan at a canter. They'll no be thinking they can go any further right enough.

Against a Man Utd team well known for slow starts, occasional defensive frailty and a lack of pace and creativity in the middle of the park (at this level) and who are no where near as good as the Man Utd teams who won the tournament in the past, they'll just be wanting to turn up and avoid a rogering right enough.

Shaun, youve made some gross mis- judgements and talked some shite on hear over the years but that really takes the biscuit mate.

Have Man Utd played anyone in this years Champions league yet ?? I mean anyone that really mattered ?

shaun.lawson

Aye they've just thrashed Inter Milan at a canter. They'll no be thinking they can go any further right enough.

Against a Man Utd team well known for slow starts, occasional defensive frailty and a lack of pace and creativity in the middle of the park (at this level) and who are no where near as good as the Man Utd teams who won the tournament in the past, they'll just be wanting to turn up and avoid a rogering right enough.

Shaun, youve made some gross mis- judgements and talked some shite on hear over the years but that really takes the biscuit mate.

Have Man Utd played anyone in this years Champions league yet ?? I mean anyone that really mattered ?

Yes they have. They're called Chelsea.

OAG - your post above is just further grist to the mill of what another poster suggests about you: that you clearly don't understand competitive sport. None of the other semi-finalists celebrated with anything like the same wild abandon - because they're not satisfied yet. None of the other quarter-finalists celebrated with anything like the same gusto as Spurs either; and when it came to the last eight, look what happened. Spurs didn't turn up. I don't regard that as a coincidence I'm afraid.

Goodness knows, an Englishman like me has very little to celebrate in terms of sporting success much of the time - but in all my life, I've never seen anything greater in team sport than England's reaction to beating France in the 2003 Rugby World Cup semi-finals. They just shrugged: "Job done". It was awesome. And why? Because they were there to win the whole thing, expected to win the whole thing, and would've been devastated not to. Conversely, Australia did a lap of honour after winning the other semi-final... and look who won the following week. That wasn't a coincidence either.

Schalke have done magnificently well to reach the last four: it's a further sign that the Bundesliga is now comfortably the third strongest league in Europe. But ask yourself: why are a tournament surprise package in football so rarely capable of following one upset with another? It's partly because they're invariably not good enough to do so; but also because of being mentally sated.

Barcelona, Real Madrid and Manchester United will all have begun their CL campaigns aiming to win the tournament. Schalke will have been aiming to get out of the group. That's the difference. That's why Schalke celebrated as they did - because this is almost certainly as good as it gets for them.

Only a Game

Yes they have. They're called Chelsea.

OAG - your post above is just further grist to the mill of what another poster suggests about you: that you clearly don't understand competitive sport. None of the other semi-finalists celebrated with anything like the same wild abandon - because they're not satisfied yet. None of the other quarter-finalists celebrated with anything like the same gusto as Spurs either; and when it came to the last eight, look what happened. Spurs didn't turn up. I don't regard that as a coincidence I'm afraid.

Goodness knows, an Englishman like me has very little to celebrate in terms of sporting success much of the time - but in all my life, I've never seen anything greater in team sport than England's reaction to beating France in the 2003 Rugby World Cup semi-finals. They just shrugged: "Job done". It was awesome. And why? Because they were there to win the whole thing, expected to win the whole thing, and would've been devastated not to. Conversely, Australia did a lap of honour after winning the other semi-final... and look who won the following week. That wasn't a coincidence either.

Schalke have done magnificently well to reach the last four: it's a further sign that the Bundesliga is now comfortably the third strongest league in Europe. But ask yourself: why are a tournament surprise package in football so rarely capable of following one upset with another? It's partly because they're invariably not good enough to do so; but also because of being mentally sated.

Barcelona, Real Madrid and Manchester United will all have begun their CL campaigns aiming to win the tournament. Schalke will have been aiming to get out of the group. That's the difference. That's why Schalke celebrated as they did - because this is almost certainly as good as it gets for them.

I dont take issue with the fact that Schalke have gone further than even they expected. I dont even take issue with the fact that the other 3 remaining clubs are probably better all round and definitely better equipped to win it.

What I take issue with is your statements and I quote "It's a very, very clear sign that Schalke's race is run' and "Schalke clearly feel they've played (and won) their final.' Both are utterly ludicrous things to come up with. Schalke will be sitting today thinking they can win it because they have easily disposed of a team who could also have won it and who won it last year.

I take issue that you can tell by the style and nature of a winning teams celebration that they aint going any further. Its laughable that youve come out with this and in the next breath questioned my understanding of competitive sport.

I'm not saying they are going to win so dont come back to me if they dont. I am saying they will be brimming with belief that they could win. They've certainly got a great shot at winning that semi against a Man Utd team with flaws and vulnerabilities.

Just for the record, the winner of the tournament will come from the other tie as we all know.

I darent ask what two leagues in Europe you believe are stronger than the Bundesliga.

Guest juvehearts

Don't count Schalke out!!!

Remember, Man U have never beaten German opposition in the Champions League Knock-out Stages!

what?

boy your CRAZY

KO FC Bayern Munichen in the final in 1998.

didnt they knock out them in the quarters a few years ago??

juve

ToadKiller Dog

I think you are reading a bit too much into the celebrations Shaun and a bit of arrogance in dismissing Schalke so easily, its traditional for German clubs to celebrate with there fans after good results ,this may have been a bit more than normal but have seen it myself at the Veltins areana after a 4-0 win over Cologne and after a derby win away at Dortmund ,seen it at smaller German club sides also . The way the players interact with us after good results at Fester road is normal and regular for Schalke .

As i said i dont expect Schalke to be strong enough at the back but they are capable of beating Man Utd if Raul can inspire them a bit like Diego Forlan did for Athletico Madrid and Urugauy who knows, also with experianced players like Metzelder , Pander and Charisteas in the squad there is enough to keep the younger squad members feet on the ground .

Adi Dassler

Schalke were quality.

The Germans have a way about them that i like.

shaun.lawson

I dont take issue with the fact that Schalke have gone further than even they expected. I dont even take issue with the fact that the other 3 remaining clubs are probably better all round and definitely better equipped to win it.

What I take issue with is your statements and I quote "It's a very, very clear sign that Schalke's race is run' and "Schalke clearly feel they've played (and won) their final.' Both are utterly ludicrous things to come up with. Schalke will be sitting today thinking they can win it because they have easily disposed of a team who could also have won it and who won it last year.

I take issue that you can tell by the style and nature of a winning teams celebration that they aint going any further. Its laughable that youve come out with this and in the next breath questioned my understanding of competitive sport.

I'm not saying they are going to win so dont come back to me if they dont. I am saying they will be brimming with belief that they could win. They've certainly got a great shot at winning that semi against a Man Utd team with flaws and vulnerabilities.

Just for the record, the winner of the tournament will come from the other tie as we all know.

I darent ask what two leagues in Europe you believe are stronger than the Bundesliga.

:no:

Sorry OAG - you can tell from a team's mental reaction whether it's likely to go any further; and if Schalke were "brimming with belief", they wouldn't have celebrated so riotously. Simple. As for which two leagues in Europe are stronger than the Bundesliga, I suggest you ask UEFA - or are they wrong too?

shaun.lawson

I think you are reading a bit too much into the celebrations Shaun and a bit of arrogance in dismissing Schalke so easily, its traditional for German clubs to celebrate with there fans after good results ,this may have been a bit more than normal but have seen it myself at the Veltins areana after a 4-0 win over Cologne and after a derby win away at Dortmund ,seen it at smaller German club sides also . The way the players interact with us after good results at Fester road is normal and regular for Schalke .

As i said i dont expect Schalke to be strong enough at the back but they are capable of beating Man Utd if Raul can inspire them a bit like Diego Forlan did for Athletico Madrid and Urugauy who knows, also with experianced players like Metzelder , Pander and Charisteas in the squad there is enough to keep the younger squad members feet on the ground .

Which, to me at least, is interesting. Because in that entire time, what have Schalke - one of European football's greatest under-achievers - actually won?

You mention Uruguay: Schalke's celebrations actually reminded me a bit of theirs after the Ghana match at the World Cup. They'd just played and won their final; they couldn't get themselves completely up again for the semi. This story plays itself out in sport all the time - and while I'd bloody love to be wrong (I'm not exactly a fan of Man Utd, whereas if I have a German club at all, it's Schalke), I don't think I will be.

From what I recall, there were some pretty lengthy in-stadium celebrations from the Hearts players when we beat Hibs in the Scottish Cup semi-final 5 years ago.

Were the team really that worried we were going to lose to Gretna?? :unsure:

shaun.lawson

From what I recall, there were some pretty lengthy in-stadium celebrations from the Hearts players when we beat Hibs in the Scottish Cup semi-final 5 years ago.

Were the team really that worried we were going to lose to Gretna?? :unsure:

Ah - but that was different, because we all thought we'd virtually won the tournament that day. Hence, it could be argued, the complacency which led to the final becoming such heavy weather, regardless of the machinations of Dougie McHobo.

Ah - but that was different, because we all thought we'd virtually won the tournament that day. Hence, it could be argued, the complacency which led to the final becoming such heavy weather, regardless of the machinations of Dougie McHobo.

Maybe Schalke think the CL is sewn up now they've knocked out the holders? :rolleyes:

To be honest, my psychology studies didn't make it past the first year of university, so I've never spent too much time trying to analysing the actions of others, whether it's Raul celebrating with the Schalke fans or Kingston allegedly pulling faces on the Hearts bench.

To me, the Schalke players just seem to be savouring the moment after a great victory; likewise, the Hearts players on 2/4/6 just seemed to be doing the same. Personally, I wouldn't read much into either, with regard to the respective team's prospects for the next round.

Optimus Prime

Your theory will turn to dust when you witness the reaction of whoever wins the El Classico semi compared to that of the Schalke v Manchester Utd tie. And i can assure you i known plenty about competitive sport to tell you whoever wins that will not be satisfied to be runner up in the competition.

Arnold Rothstein

Fairly short video but i think it was this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF_jK2Jy6zc

Only a Game

:no:

Sorry OAG - you can tell from a team's mental reaction whether it's likely to go any further; and if Schalke were "brimming with belief", they wouldn't have celebrated so riotously. Simple. As for which two leagues in Europe are stronger than the Bundesliga, I suggest you ask UEFA - or are they wrong too?

I'm not in a position to ask UEFA so I was asking you. If UEFA matches your opinion thats good enough for me. What exactly does the word "stronger" mean in this context though.

Flankengott

To see what normal celebrating after a normal game in Germany is like you only have to look at the footage from after Schalke's win against Wolfsburg last week. It's pretty much what happened after the Inter game; H?wedes in amongst the fans chanting away, the rest of the players watching on, seated on the grass. On Wednesday it was Raul's turn to be sent into the crowd for the ritual chanting. Neuer picked him out for this duty.Sure there was a bit more celebrating because they'd qualified for the semis, but not hugely out of scale with what might happen on a normal Saturday. I think Schalke are a long way from having accepted they're finished with the competition. Still think United will go through though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw0GMFo1tC8

• 3 weeks later...
stirlingshirejambo

Was having a discussion with someone at work about how Celtic celebrated after they got a draw versus Rangers before crumbling badly ( and delightfully) last night.

I remembered this thread about Schalke and their celebrations having won "their" cup final before being disposed of clinically by Man United.

There may be something in your theory after all Shaun :thumbsup:

Walter Kidd

Snigger.

shaun.lawson

Snigger.

Indeed. :D

Come on, OAG! Let's be 'avin' you!

delia-smith.jpg

shaun.lawson

I'm not in a position to ask UEFA so I was asking you. If UEFA matches your opinion thats good enough for me. What exactly does the word "stronger" mean in this context though.

Incidentally, to answer this: 'stronger' means a greater preponderance of Europe's strongest clubs. It doesn't mean 'more competitive': the Championship is competitive and unpredictable, but you wouldn't argue it's one of Europe's strongest leagues, would you?!

UEFA rank it:

1. England

2. Spain

3. Germany

4. Italy

I'd put Spain first and England second; but beyond that, the top four is self-evident if you ask me.

Incidentally, to answer this: 'stronger' means a greater preponderance of Europe's strongest clubs. It doesn't mean 'more competitive': the Championship is competitive and unpredictable, but you wouldn't argue it's one of Europe's strongest leagues, would you?!

UEFA rank it:

1. England

2. Spain

3. Germany

4. Italy

I'd put Spain first and England second; but beyond that, the top four is self-evident if you ask me.

England have a stronger league than Spain. Take out Barca and Real and the league is rank rotten. Entertaining yes but not strong.

looks where Englands representative's finish in the Champions League year in year out to show this. there is also clubs like Man City and Liverpool who aren't in this seasons champions league who would easily finish 3rd in Spain.

Germany will have a stronger league than the Spanish with more support and better players and clubs in the next 5-10 year imo.

Germany will have a stronger league than the Spanish with more support and better players and clubs in the next 5-10 year imo.

Perhaps England, too. The bubble is going to burst down south. The German league - the way it's run, a lot of teams in with a chance of winning it, the passion of their fans - deserves to be the top league.

Perhaps England, too. The bubble is going to burst down south. The German league - the way it's run, a lot of teams in with a chance of winning it, the passion of their fans - deserves to be the top league.

Unless Sky pulls out of TV deals I cant see this happening to be honest mate.

Unless Sky pulls out of TV deals I cant see this happening to be honest mate.

It's hardly a sustainable model down there. It's bound to go awry at some point. Football on the TV has reached, and probably passed, saturation point. I can't see Sky chucking outrageous amounts of money at it forever.

Archived