fuel prices

yvonnejambo

yvonnejambo

Im just curious as to what you all pay for fuel. I just went to the garage and the price has gone up from 109.9 to 111.9. Does anyone have higher fuel prices than that?

It was 105.9 at Tesco in South Queensferry yesterday. I seem to remeber it being 102.9 at Asda in Grangemouth last week though.

It was 105.9 at Tesco in South Queensferry yesterday. I seem to remeber it being 102.9 at Asda in Grangemouth last week though.

The Shell across the road in the Ferry is 102.9 just now :cool:

I never bother looking tbh. Like beer, it's one of life's necessities so I just stump up. :cool:

Think I paid 1.03 yesterday at Morrisons..

Ratcliffe terrace is my nearest as well..

Pete Seeger

?1.16 up here for my diesel. Shocking. How come all the other countries manage to have it cheaper with far less tax. Where does the money go

davemclaren

I always try and buy at Tescos as I get clubcard points which become airmiles. Plus you sometimes get those 5p off a litre deals if you've bought more than ?50 of groceries.

The demand for fuel is relative inelastic anyway. Not many people have hit the point where they are driving less as far as I'm aware.

?1.16 up here for my diesel. Shocking. How come all the other countries manage to have it cheaper with far less tax. Where does the money go

Building the Scottish Parliament, paying for pointless wars, bailing out companies with crap business models - that kind of thing.

I always try and buy at Tescos as I get clubcard points which become airmiles. Plus you sometimes get those 5p off a litre deals if you've bought more than ?50 of groceries.

Off the top of your head, any idea how many miles say, ?10 of petrol gets you?

davemclaren
Off the top of your head, any idea how many miles say, ?10 of petrol gets you?

Depends on your car. :P

I drive a 2 litre diesel and get lots. It costs me about ?60 to fill up these days and I reckon I get about 500 miles to a tank - but I don't really track it. :confused:

Depends on your car. :P

I drive a 2 litre diesel and get lots. It costs me about ?60 to fill up these days and I reckon I get about 500 miles to a tank - but I don't really track it. :confused:

cheers. I'm 4000 off a free jaunt to New York, so perhaps I should start driving more.

davemclaren
cheers. I'm 4000 off a free jaunt to New York, so perhaps I should start driving more.

That's one way to look at it. :)

CompleteIdiot

New kitchens for the second homes of MPs?

I can't believe that bunch of crooks. They are constantly on the TV moaning about benefit cheats while fiddling the system worse than any known benefit cheats.

New kitchens for the second homes of MPs?

I can't believe that bunch of crooks. They are constantly on the TV moaning about benefit cheats while fiddling the system worse than any known benefit cheats.

Some similarities in bold.

Horatio Caine
Time for more blockades methinks! ;)

This is what I can't really understand. A few years ago the price was heading towards ?1 per litre and there were protests and blockades etc. But now, with the price keeping going up, everybody's just accepting it. We're being driven over and the government want to keep putting the fuel tax up. Madness.

This is what I can't really understand. A few years ago the price was heading towards ?1 per litre and there were protests and blockades etc. But now, with the price keeping going up, everybody's just accepting it. We're being driven over and the government want to keep putting the fuel tax up. Madness.

Perhaps the protesters of a few years back realise that they did not have the support of the majority.

Oil is expensive to find and produce, and its consumption is bad for the environment. I have no complaints about the price of petrol.

CompleteIdiot
Some similarities in bold.

Ach well. We can't all be PC millionaires strolling the golf courses with our heads in the clouds.

Maybe all your money is in commodities and you feel confident about the forthcoming depression? There must be some reason you are so chirpy about Nu Labour selling us out to overwhelming national debt and the EU?

CompleteIdiot
Perhaps the protesters of a few years back realise that they did not have the support of the majority.

Oil is expensive to find and produce, and its consumption is bad for the environment. I have no complaints about the price of petrol.

Oil is everywhere. Are you stupid?

OPEC is a cartel. The price of oil is decided on the number of barrels to be produced. The oil companies deliberately strangle the supply of oil to increase the price. They also stop opening up new oilfields for the same reason.

Show me an oil company that is going to the wall through lack of oil FFS!

If oil was so short, some company would have run out by now. It's a cartel. They are screwing you, me and everyone else.

We have just jumped to $1.26 Canadian, a litre, probably going to $1.50 by the summer. Not sure what the exchange is at the moment. Just thought I would make the info available for comparison.

Guest GhostHunter

OPEC is a cartel. The price of oil is decided on the number of barrels to be produced. The oil companies deliberately strangle the supply of oil to increase the price. They also stop opening up new oilfields for the same reason.

If oil was so short, some company would have run out by now. It's a cartel. They are screwing you, me and everyone else.

:eek:

I'm in agreement with CI !!

Too much emphasis on the price of a barrel of oil - when in fact in my opinion, the prices are inflated exponentially by OPEC to keep control of the output.

Oh, and our fecking government scamming as much as possible from us by means of tax. It's funny how European countries like Spain etc, the cost of petrol is nowhere like as high as here.

They have us by the short and curlies, simply because, we cannot do anything about it....

Miller Jambo 60
:eek:

I'm in agreement with CI !!

Too much emphasis on the price of a barrel of oil - when in fact in my opinion, the prices are inflated exponentially by OPEC to keep control of the output.

Oh, and our fecking government scamming as much as possible from us by means of tax. It's funny how European countries like Spain etc, the cost of petrol is nowhere like as high as here.

They have us by the short and curlies, simply because, we cannot do anything about it....

One idea would be to boycott the big ones like SHELL and stick to the supermarkets.

This might go a small way to force their hand to drop the prices.

Guest GhostHunter
One idea would be to boycott the big ones like SHELL and stick to the supermarkets.

This might go a small way to force their hand to drop the prices.

It wont work though....

We all need petrol to a degree - buses/cars/taxis etc etc...

It would take a monumental striker never before seen, to make the government take notice and act...and it just will never happen.

They tried in 2001, and look how successful that was...

Lorry driver make idle threats about fuel costs, but NEVER actually do anything remotely close enough to make a blind bit of difference.

Whilst companies/fleet managers/etc etc get "Kickbacks" from the government, that offset fuel costs, nothing will change....

davemclaren
It wont work though....

We all need petrol to a degree - buses/cars/taxis etc etc...

It would take a monumental striker never before seen, to make the government take notice and act...and it just will never happen.

They tried in 2001, and look how successful that was...

Lorry driver make idle threats about fuel costs, but NEVER actually do anything remotely close enough to make a blind bit of difference.

Whilst companies/fleet managers/etc etc get "Kickbacks" from the government, that offset fuel costs, nothing will change....

To reduce the duty on fuel you would have to increase tax elsewhere significantly or make big cuts in public spending. All possible in a democracy if people really want it and vote in a government on that platform.

To reduce the duty on fuel you would have to increase tax elsewhere significantly or make big cuts in public spending.

I'd slash unemployment benefit - both the amount and the number of people it's paid to - in order to fund a significant cut in fuel duty. Job done.

coppercrutch

One interesting thing to note. Oil is required in the manufacture of virtually all plastics.

How many things can you think of with no plastic in them these days. Scary stuff !!

I do agree with the cartel thing. No doubt about that. However there are some serious arguments about 'peak oil' and the validity of it all.

One thing I do know is - If oil is running out the last people to tell us will be the oil companies. They are not exactly going to trash their share price if they can help it. ;)

coppercrutch
I'd slash unemployment benefit - both the amount and the number of people it's paid to - in order to fund a significant cut in fuel duty. Job done.

Done !!!!

Increase benefits for those that need them. People who have paid NI loyally for years. People who are in wheelchairs. People who need carers. People with serious mental problems, pensioners etc...

END all benefits for everyone else. Job done. Who wants to join my party !!

The Old Tolbooth
To reduce the duty on fuel you would have to increase tax elsewhere significantly or make big cuts in public spending. All possible in a democracy if people really want it and vote in a government on that platform.

We're being taxed to the hilt in this country Dave, on almost anything at all that moves these days

By the time you add up the percentage of our wages that we're taxed on, it's not just 20% income tax, it amounts to nearer 50% for all taxes, it's outrageous.

The Americans pay far less for their fuel than we do over here, I'm now wondering if our government is just plain ripping us off, or the Americans pay higher taxes elsewhere than we do for other commodities.

Soon, it wont pay to work! :confused:

Guest GhostHunter

fuelgraph.jpg

Interesting.....

What possible reason do the government (any government - it wont just be Labour) for having such a high level of taxation on petrol ? Tax on a litre has feck all to do with cost per barrel....

The Old Tolbooth

Totally agree with this, our country is such a soft touch to people who dont want to work it's unbelievable!

New Zealand have a (or used to, I'm not sure if they still do) a policy whereby if you dont work, you get hee haw, effectively forcing people out to work and as a result have one of the lowest unemployment figures in the world.

Another area to look at is all those damn benefit cheats who claim to be disabled and not able to work. Granted some people actually are disabled, but there are so many people at the ham nowadays that the genuine ones get frowned upon also.

I know a guy who lives near my mother who has not worked for years, he's only in his 40's ffs, he walks with a limp when he needs to, and on benefits day a walking stick comes out and the limp all of a sudden becomes worse!! It doesnt stop him kicking a football in the street with his kids though, and it also doesnt stop him lugging 8 bags of shopping at a time up a flight of stairs to his front door! (without a limp!!!)

Surely even if people have some sort of disability then at least some of them are able to be placed in work somewhere no?

We should change the name of our once proud country from Great Britain, to Not So Great Britain, or Handout Britain, or Soft Touch Britain!

P.S. Jesus, I never used to get grouchy on match days, what had Vlad done to me????? :confused:

Who wants to join my party !!

Please send me an application form.

Am I stupid? Perhaps.

Can you read? Perhaps not.

I did not say anything about the potential reserve base left in the ground. I said that E&P activities are getting hugely more expensive by the day.

I fully understand the workings OPEC. I believe that the current oil price is not simply down to them.

yvonnejambo

As for the fuel prices, we all know we are getting ripped off. That tax comparison chart Dex put on just shows the levels of increase. We need explanations to justify nearly doubling the tax on fuel within 10 years. I would also like to see fuel prices levelled out all over the country. i find it grossly unfair the further north you live the higher you pay for fuel. Living in the highlands you NEED to drive long distances for services, we have poor public transport links so a car is pretty vital. The arguement it cost more to deliver fuel up north is pretty poor as the shops can supply groceries at the same prices as the central belt.

I do agree with cutting benefits for those who could work but just cant be bothered. I know so many people who have never worked and are in late 30s, they all manage a decent holiday abroad have full sky packages every game console for their kids and as much booze. fags drugs you could possibly ever want. Guess what they laugh at me, worked all my life and struggle to keep on top of all my bills. cant afford a holiday every year or all games consoles for my son. Its the many of us who are in this gap when you earn just enough to not qualify for help but dont really earn enough to save any money. Im not really complaining as I like my work and my life just gets frustrating when you realise you would be better off not working.

$3.16 a gallon here in Kentucky, price was $1.15 when I got here in 2002.

So converting gallons to litres (metric) thats under 90p per litre! And you are complaining why?! ;)

davemclaren

That's right. Hit the poorer sections of society hardest to fund your motorcycling. :P

Craig Gordons Gloves

It's $3.09 a gallon here - it was 2.60 when i moved here in June. I was in California this week and it was $4 bucks or so for a gallon.

I was shocked when i came home and it cost me ?50 to fill up a ford focus - i've got two 4wd's here and it doesn't cost me that to fill both of them.

Fuel prices, along with a few other things in the UK are absolutely scandalous. Every government constantly raise the tax on fuel as it is guaranteed income for them - people need to drive and they don't put in a decent public transport insfrastructure to discourage it. Certain cities etc do their best - but the government dont want a massive amount of investemnt in it as it takes away their cash cow.

Jimmy McNulty
We have just jumped to $1.26 Canadian, a litre, probably going to $1.50 by the summer. Not sure what the exchange is at the moment. Just thought I would make the info available for comparison.

Only $1.09 litre in Ottawa -- was similar in Calgary when I was there last week.

Only $1.09 litre in Ottawa -- was similar in Calgary when I was there last week.

Was in Chiliwack on Wednesday and it was $1.07 at Mohawk. Can,t understand why it changes so much in 300Kilometres. Also it would have to be cheap to get me to live in Ottawa, did not like the place too much at all.

madridchris

High fuel taxes more closely reflect the social cost of polluting the atmosphere. I'm for substantial increasing these taxes over the next few years to offset a reduction in income tax which would benefit everyone equally.

Done !!!!

Increase benefits for those that need them. People who have paid NI loyally for years. People who are in wheelchairs. People who need carers. People with serious mental problems, pensioners etc...

END all benefits for everyone else. Job done. Who wants to join my party !!

They get such an easy ride. You don't need legs to work in call centre.

This is the kind of thing you get from petrolprices.com:

This is your petrol prices update from http://www.petrolprices.com. Your current settings are to receive e-mail updates weekly.

5 cheapest stations within 5 miles of "EH9 2EP" for Unleaded...

---------------------------------------------

Station : Shell Craigleith

Address : Craigleith Road, Edinburgh, EH4 2EH

Brand : Shell

Distance: 4.14 miles

Price : 102.9p

Updated : 28-03-2008

---------------------------

Station : Morrisons Ferry Road

Address : Ferry Road, Edinburgh, EH4 5AJ

Brand : Morrisons

Distance: 4.19 miles

Updated : 30-03-2008

Station : Shell Circle

Address : Crewe Road South, Crewe Toll, Edinburgh, EH4 2NT

Brand : Shell

Distance: 4.44 miles

Updated : 28-03-2008

Station : Windmill Service Station

Address : Queensferry Road, Edinburgh, EH4 3HL

Brand : Esso

Distance: 4.53 miles

Updated : 30-03-2008

Station : Sainsburys Blackhall

Address : Craigeith Road, Edinburgh, EH4 2EB

Brand : Sainsburys

Distance: 4.68 miles

Updated : 29-03-2008

we pay 119.9 for fuel up here in orkney :mad::mad:

Same in Shetland (for unleaded) - and an extra 5p for Diesel.

****-poor public transport means, for a reasonable quality of life, cars are a necessity.

But I guess there wouldn't be enough votes in introducing fuel duty dependent on postcode.

yvonnejambo

That petrol price site has just told me there is no petrol station within 5 miles of my postcode.. There is only 1 so I guess they need to register with the site to be counted.

Try the joys of having a car that will only run on V-Power and does about 10mpg..... I think I spend half my life on petrol station forecourts!!

Try the joys of having a car that will only run on V-Power and does about 10mpg..... I think I spend half my life on petrol station forecourts!!

it was your choice to have that car though. sometimes it doesnt pay to go for style over substance

it was your choice to have that car though. sometimes it doesnt pay to go for style over substance

It was indeed. However that choice doesnt mean I have to be happy about getting bent over and butt-******ed by the government regarding the cost of petrol.

Archived