Whos economy is working..?

moz

If you could up sticks and shoot off...where would you go..?...

Pals of mine have just concluded the deal to move out to Perth WA and its got me thinking...where is there is a better economy and a better life for the kids..?....OZ...??

I spent some time there 18 years ago and have hankered to go back (to live) ever since, Perth is just a cracking city and as long as you have thick skin Australia is a great place. Met my wife a few months after I got home and she's not interested so I've never gone back. There's loads of work in WA, 7 guys I used to work with have moved there in the past 5 years.

The one thing I would say re:kids is that nearly all of the people I know that have moved out say that the education is pretty poor compared to Scotland, I guess thats self evident though once you've met a few Aussies :lol:

If you could up sticks and shoot off...where would you go..?...

Pals of mine have just concluded the deal to move out to Perth WA and its got me thinking...where is there is a better economy and a better life for the kids..?....OZ...??

got a couple of mates in perth, one loves it the other misses scotland.

if just for their political and social attitude to imigrants "if you want to come here and live with us, welcome. if you want to change thing's to suit you, ****o** back to where you came" then its the number one place to go.

I spent some time there 18 years ago and have hankered to go back (to live) ever since, Perth is just a cracking city and as long as you have thick skin Australia is a great place. Met my wife a few months after I got home and she's not interested so I've never gone back. There's loads of work in WA, 7 guys I used to work with have moved there in the past 5 years.

The one thing I would say re:kids is that nearly all of the people I know that have moved out say that the education is pretty poor compared to Scotland, I guess thats self evident though once you've met a few Aussies :lol:

They are heading to a place just North of Perth....lucky beggars....is it a better life for the kids tho..?, more opportunity..?...hope so....may try and talk the missus into it...seen some good jobs in my sector on the other coast in Melbourne...

Brazil is strong economically, not sure what the quality of life is like outwith the wealthy parts of the major cities and for things like healthcare etc. Would be an interesting place to live though.

kingantti1874

spent a year in australia and loved it, only family stops me going...was one the beach in a place called collaroy just nnorth of sydney one day and the kids were getting surf lessons for PE...different class....

Brazil is strong economically, not sure what the quality of life is like outwith the wealthy parts of the major cities and for things like healthcare etc. Would be an interesting place to live though.

I go there with work quite often. May get chance to move there, not sure I would do it.

Canada, they took severe action on their economy a few years before the bank feck up, they are pretty stable now.

Stuart Lyon

My mate, who has his own business in Kalgoorlie and other places in WA, was home (again) a week ago and he says their economy is booming because they are mineral rich in Australia. China and India are buying all the ores and then of course there are the gold and diamond mines. He's been there 30+ years now and had it tough to start with but he stuck it out and took a few risks on the way to where he is today.

I go there with work quite often. May get chance to move there, not sure I would do it.

Housing market is quite cheap within the Favelas.. :whistling:

spent a year in australia and loved it, only family stops me going...was one the beach in a place called collaroy just nnorth of sydney one day and the kids were getting surf lessons for PE...different class....

Sounds good...just trying to convince her that western Aus is better for the family than West Lothian will be the issue..!!

Can't be worse than Texas. :lol:

What I'd wonder is that if you're pretty well off and moving there, are you going to be living in a sort of gated community and not having any interaction with the country outside the upper middle-class barrier. I'd hate to live like that.

grumpyjambo

Sounds good...just trying to convince her that western Aus is better for the family than West Lothian will be the issue..!!

:lol:

Can't be worse than Texas. :lol:

What I'd wonder is that if you're pretty well off and moving there, are you going to be living in a sort of gated community and not having any interaction with the country outside the upper middle-class barrier. I'd hate to live like that.

Too cold for a start!

Rio would be my location and I wouldn't worry about security there. Apartment beside Ipanema for me, I think. I know a journalist there who lives in another part of town- used to live next door to Ronnie Biggs.

:lol:

I know...but shes having none of it grumpy... <_< .family ties holding her back.....not giving up tho...I think we could have a better life out there for us and the kids... :)

Got friends that live in Perth - they love it, been there about 15 years. Only thing they miss are weekends away. Going down to Margaret River is great but there isn't really anywhere else. Nearest city is Adelaide (which is more of the same) and it's a four hour flight away.

Whenever they come back to the UK they book cheapy flights to Paris, Amsterdam, Dublin etc just 'cos they're all only an hour or so away.

The People's Chimp

Not really an economically driven thing - in fact I'd take a serious pay cut to do this - but really giving serious thought to relocating to Europe, possibly France or Spain. After having lived in France previously, and just come back from visiting my girlfriend in Holland, I am continually struck by the difference in the quality of life compared to here. Maybe it's just my job right now, but the pace of things is so much better, people seem more relaxed, the whole lifestyle is healthier - from the food (maybe not in holland though, I think they fry stuff more than the scots), to the sunshine and the generally better work/life balance.

Not really an economically driven thing - in fact I'd take a serious pay cut to do this - but really giving serious thought to relocating to Europe, possibly France or Spain. After having lived in France previously, and just come back from visiting my girlfriend in Holland, I am continually struck by the difference in the quality of life compared to here. Maybe it's just my job right now, but the pace of things is so much better, people seem more relaxed, the whole lifestyle is healthier - from the food (maybe not in holland though, I think they fry stuff more than the scots), to the sunshine and the generally better work/life balance.

See...that's it, I would move lierally anywhere if I thought the job market was growing and there was a better future for the kids...loads of jobs in Oz for my sector that I can see, may have to try and get out for a bit without the kids and see what the country is like...

The Comedian

See...that's it, I would move lierally anywhere if I thought the job market was growing and there was a better future for the kids...loads of jobs in Oz for my sector that I can see, may have to try and get out for a bit without the kids and see what the country is like...

I've looked into going to Australia before and I cannot believe the difference in wage packets between a welders job here and there.

Example

That job is paying 80,000 + Aus Dollars which equates to just over 50k a year!!!! I've seen others that are clearling 100k Aus dollars easy.

I can only assume that the cost of living is astronomical.

Move to Norway, they used their oil fund to stave of the financial crises. :thumbsup:

I notice Ireland has been dropped from the Nats "places to visit and admire".

Boaby Ewing

I've looked into going to Australia before and I cannot believe the difference in wage packets between a welders job here and there.

Example

That job is paying 80,000 + Aus Dollars which equates to just over 50k a year!!!! I've seen others that are clearling 100k Aus dollars easy.

I can only assume that the cost of living is astronomical.

Inflation's meant to be pretty daft in WA - it's what happens when you're China's cornershop and you're in the middle of a commodity boom.

I used to go out with a lass from there (in London, I've never been to Oz... since Neighbours moved to Channel 5 the only thing that makes me smile when I think of there is the UK sign language action for Australia -- look it up -- and the fact the girls are boaby mental) and she thought London was cheaper by far.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The money looks good here because of the pound's devaluation. When I moved out here just over 3 years ago, AU$1 was worth 40p. Now it is worth 64p.

Australia's main issue is that it has a property bubble that hasn't pricked since hot money from Asia is still buying assets, despite lip service from the Aussie Federal Govt. In addition, it is looking to expand the population to 40M from 21M currently, which will be fun when the next drought comes along! :o

I moved to Perth 7 years ago and although Scotland will always be home I love it here.

Yes, houses are expensive but look at what you get for your money? The norm is a 4 Bedroom single storey, with games room, study, living area and front lounge. I also have a swimming pool out the back which is the norm and probably the equivalent of having a conservatory in the UK.

Wages are very good here and if you keep your nose clean and work hard there is good money to be made. Not going to advertise on here what I earn but if anyone is genuinely interested about moving out here then happy to give them an idea. From October through to end of March you are lucky if it dips below 28C and rains more than half a dozen times.

It is expensive though for eating/drinking out and if you don't like the heat it would get old real quick but from a personal point of view I have a good job, great lifestyle, great frieds (most of whom are ex-pat from somewhere)

Moved to Oz last June and it's been great.

Went to Perth first, which is a nice city but a bit quiet. After 4 months moved to Sydney which is great. Always something to do and see. Going out is not that expensive but renting a house can be.

It can be expensive to live here but you earn the money to cover the cost. Car dealers are robbing gits though.

There is a lot of opportunities in Australia, but you have to work hard to get the rewards. The only bad thing about Oz it's along way from anywhere.

Australia has loads of natural resources so they don't really have to import much, except from electrical stuff.

You even get irn bru in the supermarkets

rossthejambo

I've been thinking the exact same thing myself, Italy or France are the 2 places at the top of my list as far as Europe are concerned.

I'd never be able to afford it and not being able to speak languages very well (I've got a Higher in French but that was years ago) means I don't think it would really work.

But living in Europe, or just anywhere that isn't here tbh, really appeals to me.

I moved to Perth 7 years ago and although Scotland will always be home I love it here.

Yes, houses are expensive but look at what you get for your money? The norm is a 4 Bedroom single storey, with games room, study, living area and front lounge. I also have a swimming pool out the back which is the norm and probably the equivalent of having a conservatory in the UK.

Wages are very good here and if you keep your nose clean and work hard there is good money to be made. Not going to advertise on here what I earn but if anyone is genuinely interested about moving out here then happy to give them an idea. From October through to end of March you are lucky if it dips below 28C and rains more than half a dozen times.

It is expensive though for eating/drinking out and if you don't like the heat it would get old real quick but from a personal point of view I have a good job, great lifestyle, great frieds (most of whom are ex-pat from somewhere)

Thanks for the info...may drop you a PM if thats OK..??

Thanks for the info...may drop you a PM if thats OK..??

Yeh, feel free mate. Happy to help you out with any info, links to websites etc.

I got windsurfing lessons for PE here in Edinburgh.... the only bloody day there was no wind on the Forth :down:

Archived