Yuri Gagarin - 50 Years Ago

Boris

It is fifty years ago that the Soviet Union sent a man into space for the very first time.

Comrade Gagarin was that man.

A startling achievement by the workers state and a key moment in the development of mankind.

1961-1st-manVostok_1442391c.jpg

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Gags :notworthy: He'll be remembered throughout history, along with his old mate Neil.

Watched a doc on the Space Shuttle last night, quite moving in parts. Can't believe it's only 50 years since the first man. I fully expect more dramatic leaps in the next 50 and I can't wait. thumbsup.gif

Gags :notworthy: He'll be remembered throughout history, along with his old mate Neil.

Watched a doc on the Space Shuttle last night, quite moving in parts. Can't believe it's only 50 years since the first man. I fully expect more dramatic leaps in the next 50 and I can't wait. thumbsup.gif

Was that on after the sky at night 700th episode again..

I love this stuff.

It is fifty years ago that the Soviet Union sent a man into space for the very first time.

A startling achievement by the workers state and a key moment in the development of mankind.

1961-1st-manVostok_1442391c.jpg

I thought tomorrow was the anniversary.

No matter, a fantastic achievement - I have to say Gagarin is one of my all-time heroes ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12996924

You're right, tomorrow is the actual anniversary, but I thought I'd post it a wee bit earlier...

:thumbsup:

No complaints from me tovaritch, the more Yuri the better B)

I've never really been sold on the merits of space exploration.

Apparently for every $1 spent on space exploration it has raised $14 from the merits of it... Thats a good return.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Apparently for every $1 spent on space exploration it has raised $14 from the merits of it... Thats a good return.

Good stat. How so?

Not being funny like, just interested

Good stat. How so?

Not being funny like, just interested

Heard it on the 700th edition of Sky at Night and Sir Patrick Moore does not lie..

But I think it is to do with the accumulation of jobs created, technology sold to other countries that was developed for manned flight, those packs of astronaut ice cream that you can buy in the gadget shop!! Things like that.

:whistling:

Regardless of money, the knowledge the programme has given us of our environment out with the confines of our atmosphere is invaluable IMO.

The White Cockade

you're having a laugh

I think murderous totalitarian dictatorship may be more appropriate?

Stalin killed more Soviets than Hitler

workers in the UK had more freedom under Thatcher than they have ever had in the Soviet Union

a truly horrible regime

you're having a laugh

I think murderous totalitarian dictatorship may be more appropriate?

Stalin killed more Soviets than Hitler

workers in the UK had more freedom under Thatcher than they have ever had in the Soviet Union

a truly horrible regime

Really?

The Khruschev years seemed quite forward thinking to me...

Still, under Thatcher workers lived in "freedom"? Freedom to work? Freedom to strike? Freedom to be battered by soldiers dressed up as policemen?

Yeah capitalism!

Anyway, to put a man in space before anyone else shows the development of the then Soviet Union. The murderous regime that won the war against facism.

I can't even imagine the kind of bravery it would take to be the first person to do that.

Na of course he had a street in Lumphinans named after him.

Denny Crane
The murderous regime that won the war against facism.

And proceeded to carve up and occupy a large chunk of Eastern Europe destroying families and lives throughout the occupation. Those exiled returned at their own risk while others had to wait nigh on 40 years to go back. Oh yes. A lovely state. :rolleyes:

Stewart MacD

Back to topic.

My number one hero. Although I was only 14 at the time, I remember the grainy footage well.

Ordered a t-shirt but left it late and it hadn't arrived in time for the anniversary. Maybe today.

Archived