ULTIMATE GROWERS THREAD

Greedy_Jambo

We've picked some chillis from our plants just this week. Also in the middle of something of a glut of courgettes at the moment - tomatoes and peppers coming along nicely too.

Pray tell us your horticultural secrets, o green fingered one.

When did your chillis start flowering? And what stage are your peppers at?

Greedy_Jambo

I've got loads of big fat red chilli's and a few tomatoes have turned yellow.

I'll stick some pictures up tommorrow.

I've got loads of big fat red chilli's and a few tomatoes have turned yellow.

I'll stick some pictures up tommorrow.

Turning yellow? Is that a good thing? mellow.gif

And fat red chillis? Where the heck do you live? Mexico? Meh. Mine aren't showing any sign of even flowering, they just keep growing useless bloody branch things and useless bloody leaves.

blondejamtart

Pray tell us your horticultural secrets, o green fingered one.

When did your chillis start flowering? And what stage are your peppers at?

Ooh, can't remember exactly when the chillis started flowering, but it was a good while back. The peppers are coming along nicely - still quite small, but usuable.

And I'm afraid I can't really claim the credit - that's been down to husband and son.

Greedy_Jambo

Turning yellow? Is that a good thing? mellow.gif

And fat red chillis? Where the heck do you live? Mexico? Meh. Mine aren't showing any sign of even flowering, they just keep growing useless bloody branch things and useless bloody leaves.

Tomotoes go yellow before they go red.

I keep my chilli's indoors and feed them a lot of crack.

I had to move them from the window to take the photo, they generally live a safe distance away from evil hexing candles :)

Coco - not one flower yet, thought I might have seen something by now but not a peep. Was thinking they might need a helping hand in form of plant food or something?

My basil, coriander & courgettes are all doing well too but sweet pepper plants aren't really happening. Grew to about 5/6 inches and then just stopped :oldsad:

Not a bad start for a beginner though if I don't say so myself. All that time spent tickling the tomato plants with feathers is paying off...

I've not had a problem with chillis flowering - but suspect that a couple of things might help. Potassium in the form of sulphate of potash or a tomato food (tomorite is brand name most often in the shops) could help. Or it may be that you are being too kind with the watering - if you stress the plant by letting it dry out it might respond by flowering (and then you can tickle the flowers ...!).

Tomotoes go yellow before they go red.

I keep my chilli's indoors and feed them a lot of crack.

Ah, so that's where I'm going wrong. Must learn to share.... :)

Mine are indoors also though. They live on the sill in the bay window and get plenty sun. They're clearly just being arsey.

I've not had a problem with chillis flowering - but suspect that a couple of things might help. Potassium in the form of sulphate of potash or a tomato food (tomorite is brand name most often in the shops) could help. Or it may be that you are being too kind with the watering - if you stress the plant by letting it dry out it might respond by flowering (and then you can tickle the flowers ...!).

I've become a proper tickling expert, so I have. Stole feathers from pillows and everything.

You could be right about the watering. I've learned the harsh lesson that some plants need way more water than others. On the few occasions I've forgotten about them all or I've been away for a day or two and nobody has watered them, I did notice that the chillis looked the least perturbed. Shall do as you say and see how it goes...probably a good idea to get some of that food stuff for them and the tomatoes anyway. Thanks Coco. :)

Greedy_Jambo

So...tomatoes are doing this...

bcdf050a-085a-f98e.jpg

And peas are doing this...

bcdf050a-0872-a99c.jpg

So why the heck are my chilli plants doing bugger all?

bcdf050a-0896-3e2a.jpg

Any advice most appreciated :)

Probably the wrong kind of chilli's your growing. Only certain chilli's do well in this climate.

I have Jalapenos that look all skinny and limp like that. They don't like scotland much.

Greedy_Jambo

So...tomatoes are doing this...

bcdf050a-085a-f98e.jpg

And peas are doing this...

bcdf050a-0872-a99c.jpg

So why the heck are my chilli plants doing bugger all?

bcdf050a-0896-3e2a.jpg

Any advice most appreciated :)

Probably the wrong kind of chilli's your growing. Only certain chilli's do well in this climate.

I have Jalepenos that look all skinny and limp like that. They don't like scotland much.

Looks like the chillis MIGHT be thinking about flowering after a few days without water so will wait & see there, but in the meantime I found this tonight:

bcdf050a-e7dc-8ff5.jpg

And ate my first peas straight from the pod. Very pleasing indeed :)

bcdf050a-e80c-5f8e.jpg

Who needs chillis anyway...

Looks like the chillis MIGHT be thinking about flowering after a few days without water so will wait & see there, but in the meantime I found this tonight:

bcdf050a-e7dc-8ff5.jpg

And ate my first peas straight from the pod. Very pleasing indeed :)

bcdf050a-e80c-5f8e.jpg

Who needs chillis anyway...

:thumb:

Hope you have eaten that courgette by now ... or it will be well on its way to marrow size! :lol:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I had to move them from the window to take the photo, they generally live a safe distance away from evil hexing candles :)

Coco - not one flower yet, thought I might have seen something by now but not a peep. Was thinking they might need a helping hand in form of plant food or something?

My basil, coriander & courgettes are all doing well too but sweet pepper plants aren't really happening. Grew to about 5/6 inches and then just stopped :oldsad:

Not a bad start for a beginner though if I don't say so myself. All that time spent tickling the tomato plants with feathers is paying off...

Don't give them plant food. They'll be up all night!

Mark_Mywords

I built a greenhouse back in May. I'm new to all of this. I'm glad I'm a patient man!

At last! My tomatoes are growing... (any tips on how to grow the things?)

GEDC0388.jpg

The Peppers are not too bad...

GEDC0385.jpg

The Chillies are growing slowly...

GEDC0386.jpg

GEDC0384.jpg

Anyone know the best way to keep a greenhouse cool? It's went over 50C some days!

Carl Fredrickson

First year trying to grow anything.

6 tattie bags planted and we have harvested three of them. Got about 10lb of lovely tatties from them.

Indoor tomatoes - 3 plants and about half a dozen cherry tomatoes (I dont like tomatoes so didnt pay them much attention)

The pepper plant has ONE pepper on it and it looks about ready to pick.

Our lettuce went mental with loads more than we could eat.

Challotes, carrotts, leeks & beetroot all seem to be coming on fine.

We have one hanging strawberry plant that has been providing us with fruit for weeks (only one or two ripe at a time.

Also planted a raspberry plant. This has grown into somesize but no sign of fruit - do they provide fruit in the first year?

All of our outdoor crop have been sown in bags or pots due to the garden being full of chips (not the edible kind!)

Mark_Mywords

First year trying to grow anything.

6 tattie bags planted and we have harvested three of them. Got about 10lb of lovely tatties from them.

Indoor tomatoes - 3 plants and about half a dozen cherry tomatoes (I dont like tomatoes so didnt pay them much attention)

The pepper plant has ONE pepper on it and it looks about ready to pick.

Our lettuce went mental with loads more than we could eat.

Challotes, carrotts, leeks & beetroot all seem to be coming on fine.

We have one hanging strawberry plant that has been providing us with fruit for weeks (only one or two ripe at a time.

Also planted a raspberry plant. This has grown into somesize but no sign of fruit - do they provide fruit in the first year?

All of our outdoor crop have been sown in bags or pots due to the garden being full of chips (not the edible kind!)

You've been busy!

I've read that Strawberry plants peak on their 2nd year, so you should have loads of fruit next year mate.

Carl Fredrickson

You've been busy!

I've read that Strawberry plants peak on their 2nd year, so you should have loads of fruit next year mate.

Just loads of seeds and a couple of fruit plants. Will I need to take the fruit plants inside over winter?

Mark_Mywords

Just loads of seeds and a couple of fruit plants. Will I need to take the fruit plants inside over winter?

Not got a clue mate. I've just started growing stuff this year also. :lol:

Carl Fredrickson

Not got a clue mate. I've just started growing stuff this year also. :lol:

You could have told me ANYTHING and I would have believed you too :rolleyes: Ah well, I suppose I will need to just watch the Beechgrove Garden or ask my friend Mr Google

Anyone know the best way to keep a greenhouse cool? It's went over 50C some days!

Leave the door open!

There are other things you can do like putting shading paint on but I would start with the ventilation!

Mark_Mywords

Leave the door open!

There are other things you can do like putting shading paint on but I would start with the ventilation!

That's what I'm doing at the moment + the window open. I just don't trust the local cats in the area.

I put in a solar powered vent on the roof and also added a vent at the bottom. I'll probably need a few more vents.

Unless you live somewhere seriously cold you don't need to take strawberry plants in during the winter.

Raspberries usually fruit on canes on their 2nd year ... new canes grow while the previous year's are fruiting. The first year after planting usually is the period where the root structures build up their strength. I say usually because there are varieties and ways to get fruit in the first year but it does mean weaker plants for the longer term. Raspberry plants if managed right should last about 8 years. My favourite fruit and a belter from the garden. :thumb:

That's what I'm doing at the moment + the window open. I just don't trust the local cats in the area.

I put in a solar powered vent on the roof and also added a vent at the bottom. I'll probably need a few more vents.

Make a mesh door to fit inside the main door? Then you could ventilate without cats getting in?

Mark_Mywords

Make a mesh door to fit inside the main door? Then you could ventilate without cats getting in?

Never thought of that. Great idea. Cheers. :thumbsup:

http://www.autopot.co.uk/

For the busy/lazy gardener or even if you have to be away for any length of time. Very simple and effective.

Checking your growing medium ph is important as elements can only taken in by the plant at the right levels. Can't remember it right now though! Also nothing wrong with giving them a food flush with water only every now and then to get rid of any build up of foods trapped in the medium. Over feeding can cause issues. That's why the above system is good,It's plant led. Happy gardening.

Carl Fredrickson

Unless you live somewhere seriously cold you don't need to take strawberry plants in during the winter.

Raspberries usually fruit on canes on their 2nd year ... new canes grow while the previous year's are fruiting. The first year after planting usually is the period where the root structures build up their strength. I say usually because there are varieties and ways to get fruit in the first year but it does mean weaker plants for the longer term. Raspberry plants if managed right should last about 8 years. My favourite fruit and a belter from the garden. :thumb:

Cheers mate - the last 2 winters in Midlothian have been pretty cold - may bring the plant in (it is only one).

Thanks for the info on the rasps. The thing is growing at some rate but i cant see any buds for fruit. Should I take this in if we have a bad winter? (It is in a tub)Should I "trim it" back for the winter month?

Ta :thumbsup:

Archived