ULTIMATE GROWERS THREAD

Greedy_Jambo

Greedy_Jambo

After the chilli thread and the more general indoor plants thread had to come the ULTIMATE GROWERS THREAD surely?

I built a small green house today and bought the following plants : Tomato, Cucumber, Red onion, Sweet pepper, Blueberry & strawberry.

GAME ON.

Neilson's Shank

After the chilli thread and the more general indoor plants thread had to come the ULTIMATE GROWERS THREAD surely?

I built a small green house today and bought the following plants : Tomato, Cucumber, Red onion, Sweet pepper, Blueberry & strawberry.

GAME ON.

Strawberries will do well outside at this time of year

Just sown some miniature marigolds 10 mins ago. A bit of an experiment. A wee bit earlier than normal for flower seeds but interested to see if they turn out ok or maybe a bit leggy.

Potted some cherry tomato seeds a couple of days ago and they are in a propagator. The potatoes are chitting. Turned over the borders. Divided up some of the perennials (geranium and crocosmia). The lilies in the tubs are coming through (including this year's 79p Aldi ones planted only a couple of weeks back). Picked some lovely rhubarb this morning (Mother's Day present!).

Spring is definitely springing.

Greedy_Jambo

Spent 2 hours yesterday sorting my plants out only for the greenhouse to blow over today.

RAGING.

chopper1874

Spent 2 hours yesterday sorting my plants out only for the greenhouse to blow over today.

RAGING.

Is it a plastic one? Always flying about my garden my one lol. I have got Red & White onions and Strawberries in the ground already with Sweetcorn, Beetroot, Leeks, Peas and Peppers all doing nicely inside at the moment. Looking to add broad beans and carrots later.

The Mrs has all the herbs under control......

Greedy_Jambo

Aye. Its a plastic one.

Chilli plants, peppers, red onions, tomato, cucumber, strawberry & blueberry all over the ground :(

Ive put more weights in it and a bench infront of it today.

Jim fi the Beechgrove Garden says the soil is still to cold to plant out in......................... :rolleyes:

Imagine my pervy little disappointment when I opened this thread and realised I'd mis-read the title as "ULTIMATE GROWLERS THREAD"... :(

Still, may as well throw my tuppence worth in. We've planted our lettuce, courgettes, onions and carrots out back. Growing our peppers, chilis, tomatoes and leeks indoors just now, although we'll need to get one of those plastic greenhouses soon since they're getting too big and need re-potted.

Strawberry and redcurrant bushes should also produce some fruit this year and the rhubarb is doing very well. Just need to plant a raspberry bush, apple tree and get the spuds in the ground and we'll be sorted.

heartsfc_fan

Recently moved to a house with a garden. We've planted a few potted plants and a couple of heathers but would like to grow some veg. What's suitable to be planted in a pot (with no cover) and just left? I was thinking since the nights are milder now and frost won't kill anything off.

Any advice would be good for the newbie grower over here :thumbsup:

The Treasurer

Aye. Its a plastic one.

Chilli plants, peppers, red onions, tomato, cucumber, strawberry & blueberry all over the ground :(

Ive put more weights in it and a bench infront of it today.

Have had the same problem despite securing to a base that was cemented to the patio slabs sad.gif

I'm now going to bolt the base directly to the slabs to prevent future movement

Say What Again

Imagine my pervy little disappointment when I opened this thread and realised I'd mis-read the title as "ULTIMATE GROWLERS THREAD"... :(

Still, may as well throw my tuppence worth in. We've planted our lettuce, courgettes, onions and carrots out back. Growing our peppers, chilis, tomatoes and leeks indoors just now, although we'll need to get one of those plastic greenhouses soon since they're getting too big and need re-potted.

Strawberry and redcurrant bushes should also produce some fruit this year and the rhubarb is doing very well. Just need to plant a raspberry bush, apple tree and get the spuds in the ground and we'll be sorted.

sifrs-image-4-627177107.jpg

Alright fellow food lovers.. the PDF link is everything you need to be a grower!

for when to plant and how to grow things try this out http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/growyourown/growing_cards.php

and a link to the PDFs of all the growing cards.. 16mb http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/growyourown/Vegetables-complete.pdf

this webpage is good for information on all foods in season, such as Crap which is great at the moment -http://www.eattheseasons.co.uk/ you can get weekly e-mails from here!

Mark_Mywords

Alright fellow food lovers.. the PDF link is everything you need to be a grower!

for when to plant and how to grow things try this out http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/growyourown/growing_cards.php

and a link to the PDFs of all the growing cards.. 16mb http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/growyourown/Vegetables-complete.pdf

this webpage is good for information on all foods in season, such as Crap which is great at the moment -http://www.eattheseasons.co.uk/ you can get weekly e-mails from here!

Cheers. Very handy info. :thumbsup:

Greedy_Jambo

A few photo's of mine to start the summer off.

2011-04-03161421.jpg

2011-04-03161406.jpg

And the latest one of my Chilli plant in the spair room coming along nicely with a new plant freshly sprouted beside it :)

2011-04-08080958.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Greedy_Jambo

My extended window ledge is coming along nicely! :D

2011-05-08133509.jpg

I started a gardening thread last year and was mocked by the young crew.

:(

I started a gardening thread last year and was mocked by the young crew.

:(

I was there for you :whistling:

How's the blossom looking on the cherry tree this year?

I was there for you :whistling:

How's the blossom looking on the cherry tree this year?

It was as beautiful as ever - over now, obviously. Last year's crop was about a dozen cherries, as usual. It's supposed to be self-pollinating but I maybe ought to park something else near it just in case.

Got anything interesting in this year? I'm going to grow some beetroot as I read during the holidays that it's in the top 20 healthy foods for men for some reason I can't remember.

It was as beautiful as ever - over now, obviously. Last year's crop was about a dozen cherries, as usual. It's supposed to be self-pollinating but I maybe ought to park something else near it just in case.

Got anything interesting in this year? I'm going to grow some beetroot as I read during the holidays that it's in the top 20 healthy foods for men for some reason I can't remember.

Beetroot's a good one. Nice and easy to grow. Thinnings for the salad bowl, older leaves cooked like spinach and the beetroot themselves. Bit unnerving when you go for a pee after eating a few though!

Still good chance of frost so bit early to have much in the ground here. But next few weeks will get peas, carrots, beetroot, cabbages etc on the go.

One good one which people often don't think of growing is garlic. A bulb from each clove and the leaves are nice in scrambled eggs/omelettes etc.

Am planning to put in more purple sprouting broccoli this year to harvest next spring - a real treat. Might also put in some brussels sprouts for Christmas dinner. And I've bought some mushroom spawn - having a first go at that this year.

Year without raspberries though :down: My plants got too old and am having to replace them.

Beetroot's a good one. Nice and easy to grow. Thinnings for the salad bowl, older leaves cooked like spinach and the beetroot themselves. Bit unnerving when you go for a pee after eating a few though!

Still good chance of frost so bit early to have much in the ground here. But next few weeks will get peas, carrots, beetroot, cabbages etc on the go.

One good one which people often don't think of growing is garlic. A bulb from each clove and the leaves are nice in scrambled eggs/omelettes etc.

Am planning to put in more purple sprouting broccoli this year to harvest next spring - a real treat. Might also put in some brussels sprouts for Christmas dinner. And I've bought some mushroom spawn - having a first go at that this year.

Year without raspberries though :down: My plants got too old and am having to replace them.

Someone gave me some garlic for planting last year (I realise you can just chuck in any old clove) and I put it in small containers on the patio. It didn't do much other than survive, but I'm hoping it will prosper this year and actually produce some decent bulbs.

Bought a packet of yellow "Polka" beans to plant, unfortunately with Jamie Oliver's mug on the front.

:yucky:

Someone also gave me a shitake mushroom log nearly two years ago which has sat in the garden and produced nothing so far, but I'm just going to let nature take its course.

In the last 4 weeks I've rented an allotment early days first I had to erect a shed which was provided, then fence it off and dig it over. So far only potatoes planted but cabbage and onions are in our plastic greenhouse on our patio and will be next.

jambos are go!

[/quote]

Strawberry and Rasberry Bushes??? Plants and Canes surely

Got a window box filled with herbs as an easter present, using fresh marjoram in last nights chilli hit the spot!

Jimmy Powell

gonna ask for some advice.

I dont have a garden as such but do have a balcony which gets sun from around 10am till 3pm at this time of year. It is quite sheltered so doesn't get much wind. Was wondering what to put in some pot's on it?

would want some flowers for a bit of colour and maybe a few things we could pick (thought it might be fun for the wee fella?)any suggestions would be most welcome :thumbsup:

Greedy_Jambo

Chillis are sprouting on the chilli plant :thumbsup:

Is that last years chilli plant or a newly planted one?

I only have 1 flower on this years plants so far. Hope to see more from them in the coming days.

southside1874

Is that last years chilli plant or a newly planted one?

I only have 1 flower on this years plants so far. Hope to see more from them in the coming days.

Last years plant. Loads of flowers too.

chester copperpot

I inherited 2 greenhouses with this house that I bought, so have started Tom's, Cucumbers, Peppers and Chills to start off with.

Also planted rhubarb and potatos in the soil in the garden.

Looking forward to my crop growing over the summer.

Greedy_Jambo

Last years plant. Loads of flowers too.

Nice one. How do you pollinate your flowers?

mundojambo

tatties are coming up nicely, basil doing well, peas are in and i've just finished preparing the spot for parsley and coriander, which goes in today (late, i know, but i don't have a greenhouse or space indoors) :thumbsup:

southside1874

Nice one. How do you pollinate your flowers?

Not sure how that happened but I do leave the window open now and again.

• 2 weeks later...

Slugs have decimated our lettuce crop. Little b@$t@rd$.

Strawberries have flowered nicely and the potatoes are coming up though.

chopper1874

Good Work Greedy Jambo.

Got everything in my garden that needs to go out, just some broad beans that havent worked so far..... Maybe get a photo or 2 up to compare!

Growing Cucumber, Tomatoes and peppers again indoors.

Anyone got anything left or is it all in Kansas to vist the Wizard of Oz???? :mellow:

Greedy_Jambo

Anyone got anything left or is it all in Kansas to vist the Wizard of Oz???? :mellow:

The wind destroyed my greenhouse so those last 2 plants i posted are destroyed.

Luckily i have a backup crop in the spair room.

RAGING.

Where is it now ???

Greedy_Jambo

ive given up on the greenhouse. it was in such a state yesterday that i just dismantled it and threw it in the shed. indoor plants only now.

• 1 month later...

So...tomatoes are doing this...

bcdf050a-085a-f98e.jpg

And peas are doing this...

bcdf050a-0872-a99c.jpg

So why the heck are my chilli plants doing bugger all?

bcdf050a-0896-3e2a.jpg

Any advice most appreciated :)

bcdf050a-0896-3e2a.jpg

Those weird bloody candle things are hexing them. Get rid, and all will be well.

:thumbsup:

So...tomatoes are doing this...

bcdf050a-085a-f98e.jpg

And peas are doing this...

bcdf050a-0872-a99c.jpg

bcdf050a-0896-3e2a.jpg

Good effort on the tomatoes and peas! Not long til you will have a scoff of those.

Did the chilli plants flower? I can't see any in the photo.

I had to move them from the window to take the photo, they generally live a safe distance away from evil hexing candles :)

Coco - not one flower yet, thought I might have seen something by now but not a peep. Was thinking they might need a helping hand in form of plant food or something?

My basil, coriander & courgettes are all doing well too but sweet pepper plants aren't really happening. Grew to about 5/6 inches and then just stopped :oldsad:

Not a bad start for a beginner though if I don't say so myself. All that time spent tickling the tomato plants with feathers is paying off...

mrmarkus1981

I planted my chilli's well early this year, and have a couple of flowers. I understand I am supposed to be harvesting actually chilli's in August, don't see me having any AT ALL!

Must be the 'summer' weather we are having down.gif

blondejamtart

We've picked some chillis from our plants just this week. Also in the middle of something of a glut of courgettes at the moment - tomatoes and peppers coming along nicely too.

Archived