Well known phrases

Hansel

Thought it might be interesting to discuss well known phrases; to discover where each of them come from.

On another thread, it was mentioned that 'rule-of-thumb' originated from, the accepted width of a stick; used to beat ones wife, and the thumb being used for measuring the width.

I thought that 'under-the-thumb', might have had a similar origin, but I was corrected by 'ignoranus'; who told me it is related to a falconry technique. B)

Anyway, are there any other phrases which have interesting origins?

Howdy Doody Jambo

It's not all over untill the fat striker scores

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush

the term blockbuster came from ww2 and referred to any bomb which could take out a whole block of buildings.

when soldiers returned they used it as a word to describe anything which made a big/serious impact.

I P Knightley

:thumbsup:

Didn't know that one mate, cheers. :)

The rule in the Commons is/was that each side had to stay behind their own respective red line. As long as that rule was observed, two opponents' swords couldn't touch each other. So if it got a bit unruly, the Speaker of the House would order the honourable gentlemen to 'toe the line'.

Johanes de Silentio

Was searching the origin of the phrase 'to go nap' as in "Hearts go nap over Aberdeen" when a team scores five golas in a game.

Apparently, it's derived from a card game invented by Napoleon.

Where does the other 'nap' come from, though? Like in the horses, or when someone says "That tidy bird will be married - NAP!"

Freeze the Balls off a Brass Monkey... Seemingly a "Brass Monkey" was a plate where Cannon Balls where stacked next to cannons on the old Battle ships.

When they went anywhere extremely cold, this caused the plates "Brass Monkey" to buckle so the Balls rolled off all over the place.

"Freeze the Balls off a Brass Monky"

Could be a lot of Sheeite, i thought it sounded Feasable!! :whistling:

I P Knightley

Another one from falconry - not so much a phrase - is mantelpiece, taken from 'Mantling' which is where a bird of prey shields its dinner from passers-by:

3846205290_c47abc49f3.jpg

Falconry also gave us the phrase "hoodwink" - which is not what I've been doing above. Comes from where they put the hood over the bird's heid.

There - I learnt something on last summer's holiday.

Why's a 3-goal haul a 'hat-trick'?

The term 'debugging' for troubleshooting a computer was coined by Harvard University in the late 1940s' when they opened up a broken computer to find that a moth had gotten in and fused to the circuit boards.

Say What Again

A boy in my local once complained his pint 'was as flat as a Dodo'.

I assume this phrase came about after a Dodo was stood on by a Brontosaurus.

"somebody will be getting their arse felt for that one"

Said when somebody has made a ******-up. I'm intrigued as to the origins of this phrase. It sounds like the sort of punishment you would expect from 80s-era Celtic Boys Club.

Most phrases become cliche

Even when someone says "that's so cliche", is cliche

Personally, I avoid them like the plague :ninja:

to be on your jack jones - mr jones was a very good victorian jockey. so good his name became the byword for being on your own.

if someone has a poor reputation you may say their name is mud. Tecniqually it should be mudd, as it comes from the name of the doctor who treated oswald after jack ruby shot him.

Vlad-Stupid

Watched a program once about sayings and was surprised at the majority of them have a nautical origin.

also: knob two birds with one johnny. Ali G thumbsup.gif

Was searching the origin of the phrase 'to go nap' as in "Hearts go nap over Aberdeen" when a team scores five golas in a game.

Apparently, it's derived from a card game invented by Napoleon.

Where does the other 'nap' come from, though? Like in the horses, or when someone says "That tidy bird will be married - NAP!"

NAP stands for "not a problem."

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Freeze the Balls off a Brass Monkey... Seemingly a "Brass Monkey" was a plate where Cannon Balls where stacked next to cannons on the old Battle ships.

When they went anywhere extremely cold, this caused the plates "Brass Monkey" to buckle so the Balls rolled off all over the place.

"Freeze the Balls off a Brass Monky"

Could be a lot of Sheeite, i thought it sounded Feasable!! :whistling:

it is Sheeite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_monkey_%28colloquial_expression%29

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Two that always puzzled me were from my old tradesmen when I was about 16 (he was an old Grantoner)

"That'll be chocolate" (meaning aye right said in disbelief) and "a bairn wi a biscuit erse could dae that"

Never understood them

........ "a bairn wi a biscuit erse could dae that"

I've often heard that one as well, but I've no idea where it comes from either. :blink:

The rule in the Commons is/was that each side had to stay behind their own respective red line. As long as that rule was observed, two opponents' swords couldn't touch each other. So if it got a bit unruly, the Speaker of the House would order the honourable gentlemen to 'toe the line'.

Does that have anything to do with crossing the line/overstepping the mark as well?

I passed the home of the original "Sugar Daddy" yesterday - the Spreckles' mansion in San Francisco.

Buffalo Bill

Something that is 'ear-marked' came from an old punishment of marking someone's ears if they commited a crime.

John Gentleman

"somebody will be getting their arse felt for that one"

Said when somebody has made a ******-up. I'm intrigued as to the origins of this phrase. It sounds like the sort of punishment you would expect from 80s-era Celtic Boys Club.

A hugely unpleasant medical procedure which 'men of a certain age' undergo to diagnose the status of their prostate glands. :o

I've often heard that one as well, but I've no idea where it comes from either. :blink:

'bairn with a biscuit erse' is pretty much what it says on the tin, oatcakes (rusks) have for years been given to babies as their first solid food, as they are so young the oats aren't totally digested so when it came to changing them they had a 'biscuit erse'.

So they term just means a very young child that is yet to move to proper solid foods!

The Comedian

Mad as a hatter comes from victorian times when lead paste was used to clean top hats, the lead casued some mental problems after time.

Bert Le Clos

"I'll tell you something for nothing?"

I'm assuming that comes from someone dropping another person in it, rather than witholding information for money?

Jaap's Sigh

I thought the brass monkey one was originally a naval term too, but there you go.

Supposedly a room not being big enough to swing a cat refers to a room that doesn't have enough room to swing a whip (cat o' nine tails).

Probably sheite too

I P Knightley

I thought the brass monkey one was originally a naval term too, but there you go.

Supposedly a room not being big enough to swing a cat refers to a room that doesn't have enough room to swing a whip (cat o' nine tails).

Probably sheite too

I'd heard similar but can't remember whether it was on QI (being debunked) or on a tour of historical navel dockyards in Chatham or Portsmouth...

The term 'debugging' for troubleshooting a computer was coined by Harvard University in the late 1940s' when they opened up a broken computer to find that a moth had gotten in and fused to the circuit boards.

Not quite true. The above story did happen but the phrase debugging was in use prior to this.

Johanes de Silentio

Mad as a hatter comes from victorian times when lead paste was used to clean top hats, the lead casued some mental problems after time.

Remember reading that the inspiration for Lewis Carroll's 'Mad Hatter' character was that hat-makers/milliners used mercury in the lining of hats to stop them being blown off their customers' heads by wind.

Their is a medical condition called 'mad hatter's syndrome, which I think is mercury poisoning?

Could be lead, though, right enough?

Remember reading that the inspiration for Lewis Carroll's 'Mad Hatter' character was that hat-makers/milliners used mercury in the lining of hats to stop them being blown off their customers' heads by wind.

Their is a medical condition called 'mad hatter's syndrome, which I think is mercury poisoning?

Could be lead, though, right enough?

It comes from the use of mercury. Carrol was from stockport, which had a large hat making trade.

Still doesnt tell us why a raven is like a writing desk though.

JamboInSouthsea

'Son of a gun' comes from the days of the British navy press gangs. Those poor unfortunates would be made to load/fire the cannons and when in port they would not be allowed to leave the ship. Prostitutes would be provided to keep 'em on an even keel as it were but anybody born to said hookers was a 'son of a gun'...i.e. 'Yer maw's a whore'.

To give someone the 'cold shoulder' comes from when it was illegal to turn away a traveller at your door (times were dangerous back then). You were also expected to provide them with food but if they out-stayed their welcome they would be given a cold, tough bit of meat to eat so they'd get the message to move on.

To be in the 'limelight' comes from the world of theatre where a lime cylinder heated by a incandescent flame was used with a lens or reflector to produce a very bright light directed at the stage!

No Spring Chicken - Comes from New England farmers when they discovered chickens born in spring fetched better prices at market than older chickens that had endured the winter. Smart buyers would complain about a tough fowl was 'no spring chicken'

'Winning hands down' comes from two sports, horse racing where the jocky wins by such a margin he doesn't even need to lift his hands to guide the horse and the other is boxing where the opponent is so poor that you don't need to raise your hands in defence!

Bikini comes from atomic testing and named due to it's reaction from men being like an atomic bomb. Named after one of the Marshall islands where the testing was carried out!

Johanes de Silentio

The Edinburgh slang term 'radge', as in 'schemie radge' comes from the French Parliament - the two main groups would assemble to the left and the right of the house - the rest of the disorganised rabble would congregate in a massed throng at the back - "en rage", apparently.

Possibly an urban myth.

Does anyone know the origins of "dole" or "brew" as in signing on when unemployed?

From wiki

To receive unemployment benefit is commonly referred to as "being on the dole", "dole" being an archaic expression meaning "one's allotted portion", from the synonymous Old English word d?l.[17] or the actual word comes from not old English but ,from the Roman Empire The free grain policy as every citizen was allotted Dole. hence the correct spelling of Dole.

John Gentleman

Does anyone know the origins of "dole" or "brew" as in signing on when unemployed?

I think the latter is spelt 'buroo'. Freudian slip (or maybe 'sip') there?. ;)

PsychocAndy

Probably sheite too

Half right. Not enough room to swing a cat actual refers to not having enough room to swing a cat. It's a vet thing, I believe.

Archived