Who's your least favourite MSP?

Boomstick

jamboinglasgow

Do you hate Alex because he's fat? If not, why mention it? Fatty Foulkes is no slimster, and again Jackie Baillie, dearrie me. Do you think someone can't be a politician due to their girth? You really shouldn't be allowed a vote. Lets have suffrage for people with a mental age over 18. Again, Shirley opposed the trams, like every intelligent person in Scotland, we pointed out that the costing was flawed, the project was badly designed, and the financial analysis was nonsense. So you hate SAS for being right? Please don't vote because those of us that take the time and care to understand how Scotland can be a great country can do without your ignorant obduracy.

what an ignorant reply.

Cappuccino Kid

Another for Ian Gray. Although margot McDonald is up there too, once gave her my 2nd vote as well. Live and learn I guess.

Another for Ian Gray. Although margot McDonald is up there too, once gave her my 2nd vote as well. Live and learn I guess.

What's yer beef with Margo?

So what's yer point? He isn't ready to retire from politics unlike the previous incumbents of the position, so quite rightly he is going to seek re-election as a MSP. I am failing to see what is so wrong in that.

My point is that he can hardly be called an independent. He is only an independent at present because the position he holds is one which requires him not to be affiliated with any political parties.

There's nothing wrong with it TBH my real issue is his rank hypocrisy. I don't like tories though so it gives me another reason not to like him.

My point is that he can hardly be called an independent. He is only an independent at present because the position he holds is one which requires him not to be affiliated with any political parties.

There's nothing wrong with it TBH my real issue is his rank hypocrisy. I don't like tories though so it gives me another reason not to like him.

That is what is required to be the presiding officer, to give up party affiliations for the period of office. There is no hypocrisy.

jamboinglasgow

Why would that be?

the idea that because he called Alex Salmond fat that is the only reason he doesn't like Salmond thus he should not be allowed to vote. Then insults his intelligence and says he shouldn't vote because of that either. Just because he listed the names of two SNP members it suddenly means he should have no right to vote :blink:

That is what is required to be the presiding officer, to give up party affiliations for the period of office. There is no hypocrisy.

Crossed wires then. I'm talking about his anti-wind power views while maintaining turbines on his land for his own personal use.

the idea that because he called Alex Salmond fat that is the only reason he doesn't like Salmond thus he should not be allowed to vote. Then insults his intelligence and says he shouldn't vote because of that either. Just because he listed the names of two SNP members it suddenly means he should have no right to vote :blink:

Or maybe he's fat and took offence? Or maybe he is Alex Salmond? He replied to a post that belittled the people it talked about and therefore his reply was of a similar type. If the person he replied to takes offence at the reply then that person can argue back themselves surely?

And whether or not the fact they are both SNP is quite an assumption to make too. My assumption would be you consider him to be SNP too and therefore defending his own. I would also presume that by pointing out Richard Baker is a Jambo, while also ridiculing two SNP MSPs that "Michael Feet"...or possibly just Foot...is Labour. Bigging up his guy, while tearing down the opposition. Stab in the dark I would imagine, but similar to yours.

Goldstone Wonder

Can't believe there is no mention for the Virgin Sturgeon. Jimmy Krankie's ugly sister.

Can't believe there is no mention for the Virgin Sturgeon. Jimmy Krankie's ugly sister.

Given that she's married, I'm entirely doubtful of the virgin moniker :thumbsup:

However to defend a lady's honour, I would say she is one of the best MSPs. Obvious successor to Salmond in terms of SNP leadership.

This is where I like JKB anonymity. :lol:

Without a shadow of doubt, Mike Russell.

Nobody else - from this 129 or previous 129(s) - comes close.

:D

That's an intriguing choice, because I've always reckoned that Mike Russell is one of the few diamonds in the morass of jumped-up Central Belt bampot ex-cooncillors and ex-union officials that appear to be the staple constituent of the Holyrood parliament. A man of some erudition and no little learning. My dealings with him have been few, but I've found him to be responsive and interested. To be honest, I'd like to see a lot more people like him running the country.

My own choice would be the appalling Wendy Alexander. That saves me for going for someone who's fairly harmless and actually a pretty good guy, but annoyingly wet and ineffectual - Malcolm Chisholm. I once had to stifle laughter while queuing behind him at Tiso's in Commercial Street while he purchased a wet suit.

what an ignorant reply.

Here's the bottom line. You are the problem. Anyone who votes unionist is too thick to be allowed to vote. However, would you care to point out which part of my post was ignorant? I pointed out that hating someone because they are fat is ignorant. I hate unionist politicians because they have destroyed my country in the hope that the queen gives them a medal some day, or a seat in the lords which will get them a 2 day a week job on the board of a corrupt company. They are fat in a different way. I intend to be virulent against the anti Scots on this board for the forseeable future.

jamboinglasgow

Here's the bottom line. You are the problem. Anyone who votes unionist is too thick to be allowed to vote. However, would you care to point out which part of my post was ignorant? I pointed out that hating someone because they are fat is ignorant. I hate unionist politicians because they have destroyed my country in the hope that the queen gives them a medal some day, or a seat in the lords which will get them a 2 day a week job on the board of a corrupt company. They are fat in a different way. I intend to be virulent against the anti Scots on this board for the forseeable future.

So because I vote for a unionist party then I am thick? Is this seriously the view of the SNP support as I have seen the SNP try to cause its own damage to the country without the help of any unionist politician (in fact usually against the views of the main party where the SNP's only line of the defence is "your voting against us because you are unionist" rather then look at the reasons why.) Of course there are mistakes that unionist politicians have made and poor descisions but thats because they are incompetent, not because they are unionist, same as the SNP politicians.

I take it by anti-Scots you mean anyone who doesn't vote SNP? I am proud to be Scottish, I have lived here all my life, yet I voted for a unionist party at previous elections and will again at this coming election. So am I an anti-Scot?

I put my point across why it was an ignorant reply further up.

Political debate plumbs new depths, this is hilarious. No doubt Jock McWhatever here thought this was a well thought out, reasoned argument and rallying call against unionist politics.

Frankie Pal

Deary me, not a lot of humour on here. Little politics either.

Big D is typical of SNP activists I have had the misfortune to come across, bitter people who cannot put an argument together.

**** me, you should be a diplomat. I was going to vote Labour, but you've persuaded me not to with your rhetorical genius here.

Patrick Bateman

You really are an embarrassment to the independence movement. If you can't see how directly insulting people who need to be convinced of an argument isn't a good idea, then it isn't they who are stupid.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Good satire but for some reason Scotland seems to like its battered wife status.

Maybe it's better the devil you know...

Patrick Bateman

Good satire but for some reason Scotland seems to like its battered wife status.

Maybe it's better the devil you know...

I find the general lack of ambition and self-confidence shown by a great deal of Scots deeply embarrassing, but I don't blame them or deride them as 'being too thick to vote' - The arguments are there, they just need to be listened to. People like Big D simply pander to Unionist stereotypes of nationalists 'simply hating the English' etc and the debate simply goes around in circles. I mean, the SNP government is easily the most effective and successful since devolution, yet people will still bleat on about how they can't trust Salmond and that they don't like him. They haven't even considered what the alternative is, and if they have and are fine with it, then lord help them. :ninja:

Geoff Kilpatrick

I find the general lack of ambition and self-confidence shown by a great deal of Scots deeply embarrassing, but I don't blame them or deride them as 'being too thick to vote' - The arguments are there, they just need to be listened to. People like Big D simply pander to Unionist stereotypes of nationalists 'simply hating the English' etc and the debate simply goes around in circles. I mean, the SNP government is easily the most effective and successful since devolution, yet people will still bleat on about how they can't trust Salmond and that they don't like him. They haven't even considered what the alternative is, and if they have and are fine with it, then lord help them. :ninja:

Devil's advocate style question here, but do you think the reason could be that a lot of Scots don't give a flying one about constitutional issues, particularly in the underclass areas?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

As an SNP voter, I am a wee bit embarassed about some of the above.

Vote with your head not your Heart.

Bonnie Prince Charlie

Do you hate Alex because he's fat? If not, why mention it? Fatty Foulkes is no slimster, and again Jackie Baillie, dearrie me. Do you think someone can't be a politician due to their girth? You really shouldn't be allowed a vote. Lets have suffrage for people with a mental age over 18. Again, Shirley opposed the trams, like every intelligent person in Scotland, we pointed out that the costing was flawed, the project was badly designed, and the financial analysis was nonsense. So you hate SAS for being right? Please don't vote because those of us that take the time and care to understand how Scotland can be a great country can do without your ignorant obduracy.

Great reply here.

Patrick Bateman

Devil's advocate style question here, but do you think the reason could be that a lot of Scots don't give a flying one about constitutional issues, particularly in the underclass areas?

Absolutely, a great deal of people don't see how it will effect them, or worse, think that independence is some manifestation of anti-Englishness. People like Big D don't help in disassembling such attitudes. What I find interesting, in the many debates I've had with Unionists, is that they have a one-track mind with regards to Scotland's ability to stand on its own two feet. It's a sort of disregard you'd expect towards a banana republic or Albania. My belief in independence is routed in a strong belief Scotland can do much better, but that it will take work. I suspect a great deal of people are simply happy to lie around, let others make choices for them and generally coast through life, because that is the extent of their ambitions.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Absolutely, a great deal of people don't see how it will effect them, or worse, think that independence is some manifestation of anti-Englishness. People like Big D don't help in disassembling such attitudes. What I find interesting, in the many debates I've had with Unionists, is that they have a one-track mind with regards to Scotland's ability to stand on its own two feet. It's a sort of disregard you'd expect towards a banana republic or Albania. My belief in independence is routed in a strong belief Scotland can do much better, but that it will take work. I suspect a great deal of people are simply happy to lie around, let others make choices for them and generally coast through life, because that is the extent of their ambitions.

I share this belief.

David McCaig

So because I vote for a unionist party then I am thick? Is this seriously the view of the SNP support as I have seen the SNP try to cause its own damage to the country without the help of any unionist politician (in fact usually against the views of the main party where the SNP's only line of the defence is "your voting against us because you are unionist" rather then look at the reasons why.) Of course there are mistakes that unionist politicians have made and poor descisions but thats because they are incompetent, not because they are unionist, same as the SNP politicians.

I take it by anti-Scots you mean anyone who doesn't vote SNP? I am proud to be Scottish, I have lived here all my life, yet I voted for a unionist party at previous elections and will again at this coming election. So am I an anti-Scot?

I put my point across why it was an ignorant reply further up.

JIG, this does beg the question why were Labour voting against every proposal made by the SNP in the last 4 years!!!! It seem very strange because it now turns out that Labour actually agree with pretty much everything they have been opposing since 2007!!!!

Surely, there can be no doubt that the SNP are intellectually and morally far superior to their Labour counterparts at present, yet they are loathed by the UNIONIST media simply because they believe in independence. Interestingly enough the informed opinion amongst the English media is totally amazed that an incumbent party which has performed as well as the SNP has over the last 4 years faces being voted out of power.

At the end of the day even if you don't believe in Independence surely you must agree that the SNP have been a sound government over the last 4 years and have constantly put Scotland's interests first.

JIG, this does beg the question why were Labour voting against every proposal made by the SNP in the last 4 years!!!! It seem very strange because it now turns out that Labour actually agree with pretty much everything they have been opposing since 2007!!!!

Surely, there can be no doubt that the SNP are intellectually and morally far superior to their Labour counterparts at present, yet they are loathed by the UNIONIST media simply because they believe in independence. Interestingly enough the informed opinion amongst the English media is totally amazed that an incumbent party which has performed as well as the SNP has over the last 4 years faces being voted out of power.

At the end of the day even if you don't believe in Independence surely you must agree that the SNP have been a sound government over the last 4 years and have constantly put Scotland's interests first.

Easiest analogy is that the media in Scotland and Scottish Labour are the OF. SNP are Hearts. The first two will do what is required to keep Scotland by the throat and ensure their power is above the good of the people while the SNP are far classier, with people who only care about Scotland and do what they can for the country.

The one thing I just do not understand about Labour supporters in Scotland. Labour killed the UK, Brown destroyed the economy and Blair took us into two rather dodgy conflicts during his tenure. But up here they are untouchable simply because they are not Thatcher. On the whole, it's pretty embarrassing but when you have been told what to do and when by your "big brother" for the past 300yrs it's understandable you wouldn't have the brains or balls to get out there and do things on your own.

Patrick Bateman

The one thing I just do not understand about Labour supporters in Scotland. Labour killed the UK, Brown destroyed the economy and Blair took us into two rather dodgy conflicts during his tenure. But up here they are untouchable simply because they are not Thatcher. On the whole, it's pretty embarrassing but when you have been told what to do and when by your "big brother" for the past 300yrs it's understandable you wouldn't have the brains or balls to get out there and do things on your own.

That's arguably the Tory's biggest sin; they seem to have gifted Labour a permanent sanctuary in Scotland. From this, we have seen them emerge as possibly one of the most corrupt parties in Western Europe, given the expenses scandals and financial 'mismanagement' in Scotland. I'm interested as to why people have such a blinded loathing of the SNP - Their achievements in a short spell far outweigh the negatives. Do the naysayers really think Iain Gray and his bench can take Scotland forward? Their record in opposition is absolutely disgraceful for one.

I'm interested as to why people have such a blinded loathing of the SNP - Their achievements in a short spell far outweigh the negatives. Do the naysayers really think Iain Gray and his bench can take Scotland forward? Their record in opposition is absolutely disgraceful for one.

Funny you mention this. I was talking to a mate of mine who was very much into blind hatred of the SNP over everything until the 2007 Elections. He always voted Labour at both sets of elections (he still votes Labour at UK elections) and then decided, after listening to all the arguments, that he would change his vote to the SNP in 07. I asked how he would be voting this time and he said, 'I'll still be voting the SNP this time as I think they are best party for my Scottish interests and Labour simply havent a clue nor God given right to assume that they should have Scotland like its own fiefdom. They (the SNP) have actually done pretty well considering they have been a minority and in the face of some awful and selfish party politics, especially from Labour'. I thought that was a remarkable turnaround from someone who could not bring himself to even consider the SNP before.

How the SNP get that message out is another matter. The same applies to the Tories who are still suffering from Thatcher despite trying quite hard to 'brand' themselves as 'different' from their English counterparts. And on top of that, the Lib Dems have some serious image issues too.

Isnt Scottish politics great? :rolleyes:

Funny you mention this. I was talking to a mate of mine who was very much into blind hatred of the SNP over everything until the 2007 Elections. He always voted Labour at both sets of elections (he still votes Labour at UK elections) and then decided, after listening to all the arguments, that he would change his vote to the SNP in 07. I asked how he would be voting this time and he said, 'I'll still be voting the SNP this time as I think they are best party for my Scottish interests and Labour simply havent a clue nor God given right to assume that they should have Scotland like its own fiefdom. They (the SNP) have actually done pretty well considering they have been a minority and in the face of some awful and selfish party politics, especially from Labour'. I thought that was a remarkable turnaround from someone who could not bring himself to even consider the SNP before.

How the SNP get that message out is another matter. The same applies to the Tories who are still suffering from Thatcher despite trying quite hard to 'brand' themselves as 'different' from their English counterparts. And on top of that, the Lib Dems have some serious image issues too.

Isnt Scottish politics great? :rolleyes:

The SNP should be judged on tenure as a majority government, 4yrs to see if they can do what they promise without Labour doing what they can to shaft them.

Tommy Wiseau

The SNP should be judged on tenure as a majority government, 4yrs to see if they can do what they promise without Labour doing what they can to shaft them.

When is that going to happen though, realistically?

They would have enough problems forming a stable coalition, let alone pushing through their policy agenda as part of one. AMS ensures that a majority government on their own terms is a pipe dream.

When is that going to happen though, realistically?

They would have enough problems forming a stable coalition, let alone pushing through their policy agenda as part of one. AMS ensures that a majority government on their own terms is a pipe dream.

Realistically if the majority of the voting public chose the SNP they would be a majority government. Whether that will ever be the case is a guess beyond either of us.

Tommy Wiseau

Realistically if the majority of the voting public chose the SNP they would be a majority government. Whether that will ever be the case is a guess beyond either of us.

Yes, but you know as well as I do how unlikely that is, hence me saying "realistically". Labour haven't even managed it, with a traditionally dominating Scottish support, so to say we can't judge the SNP as a party of government until they have a term as a majority is a bit fluffy for me. Agree that it is hard to properly judge them under the circumstances they have governed under though.

Yes, but you know as well as I do how unlikely that is, hence me saying "realistically". Labour haven't even managed it, with a traditionally dominating Scottish support, so to say we can't judge the SNP as a party of government until they have a term as a majority is a bit fluffy for me. Agree that it is hard to properly judge them under the circumstances they have governed under though.

Well given you can't judge them in the current case and the other case is unlikely, I would guess the only thing to do is judge them against the previous government...which was imo woeful...so they must be doing a decent job then.

Tommy Wiseau

Well given you can't judge them in the current case and the other case is unlikely, I would guess the only thing to do is judge them against the previous government...which was imo woeful...so they must be doing a decent job then.

I would say it's hard to judge them properly, not impossible to judge them at all. To be fair, I do think they've done a much better job than most could have expected - a fair few of their policies have changed the country for the better. Given the alternative with the staggeringly petty Scottish Labour party under Gray, I think they've done fairly well.

I do happen to think that minority government is the long-term way forward for the Scottish Parliament, as once it becomes entrenched into the political culture, a more consensus based politics would emerge and IMO representation would improve. I may be being quite optimistic/naive with that though, given the behaviour of Labour in this government. :lol:

Only problem with your scenario is that Scottish Labour work for the good of Westminster Labour. As do the Tories and Lib Dems. Nobody is really going to work together up here if it doesn't toe the line with the policies of down south. Labour would happily use Scotland to fight against the current Westminster coalition no matter if Scotland got screwed as its power down there they crave, hence why all their people up here are pretty damn awful.

I would say it's hard to judge them properly, not impossible to judge them at all. To be fair, I do think they've done a much better job than most could have expected - a fair few of their policies have changed the country for the better. Given the alternative with the staggeringly petty Scottish Labour party under Gray, I think they've done fairly well.

I do happen to think that minority government is the long-term way forward for the Scottish Parliament, as once it becomes entrenched into the political culture, a more consensus based politics would emerge and IMO representation would improve. I may be being quite optimistic/naive with that though, given the behaviour of Labour in this government. :lol:

There has been an incredible period of consensus in the Scottish Parliament since its inception.

There are no real ideological differences, just differences in view in how to manage an expected/desired ever increasing pot of money supplied by Westminster. With the exception of the independence 'debate' of course - and I am talking about the big picture stuff. Clearly there have been the usual political spats/personality politics etc.

Tommy Wiseau

Only problem with your scenario is that Scottish Labour work for the good of Westminster Labour. As do the Tories and Lib Dems. Nobody is really going to work together up here if it doesn't toe the line with the policies of down south. Labour would happily use Scotland to fight against the current Westminster coalition no matter if Scotland got screwed as its power down there they crave, hence why all their people up here are pretty damn awful.

Fair point, but all the Unionist parties can contradict their Westminster lines when it suits them. It's easy to forget just how young the Scottish Parliament is; I think (just purely my opinion) that there will be some major changes in the way parties interact with their Westminster counterparts in the long term.

Tommy Wiseau

There has been an incredible period of consensus in the Scottish Parliament since its inception.

There are no real ideological differences, just differences in view in how to manage an expected/desired ever increasing pot of money supplied by Westminster. With the exception of the independence 'debate' of course.

Yep, would agree with that to an extent - I do think that prior to the SP's inception, the idea of both coalition and minority governments successfully carrying out the majority of their policy agendas without crumbling under instability was inconceivable. Would say, though, that ideological differences still exist, just to a much lesser extent - these reflect a shortening of the ideological gap in Westminster as well, however.

There are no real ideological differences, just differences in view in how to manage an expected/desired ever increasing pot of money supplied by Westminster. With the exception of the independence 'debate' of course.

Not really how I see it. Case in point is minimum alcohol pricing. Medical folk, police etc say its required. Scottish Gov, ie SNP, want it in place. All unionist parties say no. Then what happens down Westminster way? Coalition Gov then decide minimum alcohol pricing is what they want for England and Wales. Hypocritical policies compared to Scotland or just doing what they can to shaft the SNP?

Not really how I see it. Case in point is minimum alcohol pricing. Medical folk, police etc say its required. Scottish Gov, ie SNP, want it in place. All unionist parties say no. Then what happens down Westminster way? Coalition Gov then decide minimum alcohol pricing is what they want for England and Wales. Hypocritical policies compared to Scotland or just doing what they can to shaft the SNP?

No fan of any of the political parties and would say that with the situations such as the tram line there were attempts to make things as difficult for the SNP as possible.

However, would say that these are the sorts of managerial issues which I mentioned ...

jamboinglasgow

Actually, the plan down in England and Wales is not minimum pricing, it is a ban on loss leading sales of alcohol, the media just labelled it minimum pricing. Plus minimum pricing is actually illegal under EU law but the SNP never gave their legal advice when asked by the other parties.

Actually, the plan down in England and Wales is not minimum pricing, it is a ban on loss leading sales of alcohol, the media just labelled it minimum pricing. Plus minimum pricing is actually illegal under EU law but the SNP never gave their legal advice when asked by the other parties.

Minimum pricing of 50p per unit was recommended by Sir Liam Donaldson and explored by the CG to the point of putting it forward as policy, however this position changed with the recent budget where they went with the banning of below cost sales and higher taxes on high strength lagers.

Here you have though Diane Abbott saying it should still be introduced, with Jackie Baillie mocking her own colleague to try and distance herself from things just so her position isn't untenable given that she shot down the idea up here. So we have Labour in Westminster wanting it, but Labour in Scotland not. Why? Simply to shaft the SNP.

A cross-border split has emerged over Labour's calls for a pilot scheme for minimum pricing on alcohol after the party's Scottish health spokeswoman disowned the plan.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5hsgFPMo0FSftb4vK4mN9v9cGnTxg?docId=N0186501300919921042A

You can just smell the hypocrisy. As I said before, far above what is good for Scotland they consider what is good for themselves.

And as for "is actually illegal under EU law"...best speak to Cameron regarding disallowing prisoners the vote. If it is fine for the PM of the UK government to thumb his nose at EU law, then it's fine for the FM of the Scottish Government. We should not let Brussels control or dictate all we do, if a democratically elected government choose their own path, that should be the end of it. The people of this country did not vote for the entire EU, just their MEP representation. The countries of the EU are so different, no single law will ever work for them all and internal affairs should still be the sole jurisdiction of that nation's government.

girvanjambo

He's an MP but top shout, absolute bellend.

MSP wise, Kenny MacAskill's up there, I'm not entirely sure he knows what the hell he's doing (although you could probs say that about any of them).

Kenny MaCaskill got lifted at Wembley. Good enough for me. King Alex Salmond would be far better than Clegg/Cameron :thumbsup:

FTH

Archived