Webster

scott_jambo

Drylaw Hearts

I think you have to admit though that Zaliukas was a better player than Webster has been with Bouzid playing alongside him!

I would add that Bouzid is a bit of a bombscare and, therefore, you would think that Zaliukas would have been worse playing with Bouzid than with the "better" Webster!

Footballers, with very few exceptions, don't play in isolation. That's why a great team may not necessarily have the best players in every position but rather players that complement each other and play together as a team!

I have said several times Zaliukas was better when Bouzid was beside him.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the avoidance of doubt, Zaliukas has been very poor since the home game against R@ng*rs on January 22. A good 21 days before Webster played his first game and there were three games inbetween those.

Still, let's use that to blame for Zaliukas' loss of form.

colinmaroon

But, do you agree that Z was better than Webster has been when Z played alongside B?

Really poor reply. Deep down I know you're disappointed with it....

Hope Webster comes good, but at the moment he's been crap, our poorest central defender, who has upset a decent central pairing. He shouldnt be in ahead of bouzid until 3rd place is secured. That's my opinion and nothing you have said has convinced me otherwise.

Good try but......

No.

scott_jambo

For the avoidance of doubt, Zaliukas has been very poor since the home game against R@ng*rs on January 22. A good 21 days before Webster played his first game and there were three games inbetween those.

Still, let's use that to blame for Zaliukas' loss of form.

I agree that there has been a dip in form from Zaliukas which has coincided with a dip in form from the whole team.

Now we have two off-form defenders when we had two on-form centre backs for the majority of the season.

Frustrating stuff.

...but....as illustrated above, he has been poor with Bouzid. This suggests to me that it is simpler than some would say on this thread. Zaliukas was on great form earlier in the season but is currently off form. This has nothing (IMO) to do with his defensive partner.

scott_jambo

...but....as illustrated above, he has been poor with Bouzid. This suggests to me that it is simpler than some would say on this thread. Zaliukas was on great form earlier in the season but is currently off form. This has nothing (IMO) to do with his defensive partner.

In general he has been really good with Bouzid, even though Bouzid is quite limited.

I blame the midfield personally but thats for another thread...

I agree that there has been a dip in form from Zaliukas which has coincided with a dip in form from the whole team.

Now we have two off-form defenders when we had two on-form centre backs for the majority of the season.

Frustrating stuff.

I think the unfortunate thing is that we are a bit spoilt when it comes to defenders. I am 34 this year and throughout my time supporting Hearts we have went from Sandy Jardine and Craig Levein to players like Alan McLaren, Paul Ritchie, Stephen Pressley, Dave McPherson, Andy Webster (first time around) and Christophe Berra. That even ignores the defenders that were decent and good servants like Bruno, R.McDonald, Van de Ven, Hogg and hunners I cannot think of right now. I honestly toil to think of a time where we didn't have at least one stand out centre half.

In general he has been really good with Bouzid, even though Bouzid is quite limited.

I blame the midfield personally but thats for another thread...

Fair point. I actually think that Bouzid and Zaliukas are a good fit as they are both quite limited. My personal opinion is that if Webster was here before Zaliukas and man about house (for want of a better term) I honestly think their relationship would be better. I think that Webster could talk him through the game if Zaliukas were willing to listen. However, I think the captaincy and him being a time served player means that he won't really listen to that.

Obviously, all IMO.

Drylaw Hearts

But, do you agree that Z was better than Webster has been when Z played alongside B?

Jesus H Christ and a dozen exclamation marks.

Zaliukas has played far more games than Webster.

colinmaroon

Jesus H Christ and a dozen exclamation marks.

Zaliukas has played far more games than Webster.

Good Lord above!

Why can't you answer a simple question without resorting to your childish insults?

I'll ask for the THIRD time and I'll put it slightly differently to make it easier for you!

Do you think that Webster in the FEW games he has played has at anytime been better than Zal was during our undefeated spell when he played with Bouzid?

PS Perhaps it would help you if you imagined the question came from someone else and you might just stop acting like a welt!

Drylaw Hearts

Good Lord above!

Why can't you answer a simple question without resorting to your childish insults?

I'll ask for the THIRD time and I'll put it slightly differently to make it easier for you!

Do you think that Webster in the FEW games he has played has at anytime been better than Zal was during our undefeated spell when he played with Bouzid?

PS Perhaps it would help you if you imagined the question came from someone else and you might just stop acting like a welt!

Putting it slightly different changes the question.

The answer is probably not but this is due to Websters distinct lack of matches this season.

I've been a bit disappointed with Webster since he's come back, but that said we was at his best in the games against only other decent team in the league (United if you strip out the OF) - I don't really buy Killie as a really good team. We got the tactics at home against them identically and inexcusably wrong.

But what everyone has ignored over the last 2 games is that our player of the season has sold the critical first goal in the last 2 games with poor positioning at cross balls. I thought he had cut out the over eagerness to leave his line. No keeper should look back at goals lost and think if I'd just stayed, he could have thrown a hat on the ball to stop it.

Getintaethem

The arguement about who's the better player is pretty pointless TBH. I think Jeffries already has one eye on next season and I don't think he sees Bouzid in that picture. IMO Webster will be here next season and Bouzid won't.

I'm not "In the know" put would point out two facts.

Bouzid was dropped before the game at Ibrox until Wallace injured himself in the warm up. To be dropped before such a crucial game (before Webster was signed) speaks volumes of JJ's opinion of Bouzid.

Webster went straight into the team ahead of Bouzid, he didn't have to wait for injuries or suspensions to get his chance. Another clear indication of the pecking order.

My personal opinion is that Bouzid has had a pretty good season, I didn't rate him last season but think he has improved this year although has cost us a couple of goals being caught out of position at times. I don't think he has been alone in this and over all he's been pretty good. Webster however has been a bit dissapointing, he leaves you with the impression that he's not giving 100%. Maybe he's had it to easy, (strolling :ninja: ) into the team but I hope to see better from him.

If I'm reading things right I think we'll be sticking with Webster and Zal for the remainder of the season, they need to gel and get an understanding of eachother before they can make a decent partnership. They will need time to do this, better it happens now and they're ready for the new season. My biggest worry is that they both have "big" personalities and they both want to be calling the shots. The defensive line has been a bit ragged the last few games. When Webster isn't playing Zaliukas takes command and holds the line together, when they both play there seems to be conflict in how deep or how far pushed up the defence should be. Until they learn to work together we could have a few problems. The only way they can form a good partnership is to play together, as fans, we need to have a little patience to let this work.

If he tries then he might be good

This sums up my thoughts on Webster.

Playing within himself and it shows - too casual at times.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

I think it was widely recognised that up until January we had one of the best defences in the league, in fact if I remember rightly, only Celtic had conceded more than us. Since January, our defence has looked decidedly dodgy, and was in fact absolutely shambolic on Saturday.

I wonder what could have happened to our defence in January which would have affected its performance so much? :whistling:

(Also, anyone saying Webster is better than Zaliukas really needs to get a grip of themselves.)

This sums up my thoughts on Webster.

Playing within himself and it shows - too casual at times.

Webster actually ducked at the 1st goal and was too slow in thought/movement for the 2nd.

Obua and Mrowiec were playing within themselves as well but they were subbed for playing within themselves. Maybe we did not have enough subs.

I cannot understand why people make so many excuses for certain players while others get away with murder.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

I think it was widely recognised that up until January we had one of the best defences in the league, in fact if I remember rightly, only Celtic had conceded less than us. Since January, our defence has looked decidedly dodgy, and was in fact absolutely shambolic on Saturday.

I wonder what could have happened to our defence in January which would have affected its performance so much? :whistling:

(Also, anyone saying Webster is better than Zaliukas really needs to get a grip of themselves.)

It wouldn't let me edit my post for some reason, obviously that should have said "less" and not "more."

Defence was better when Bouzid and Zal were together. Webster comes in and it is his fault???

Templeton's been crap since Webster came back. Must be Webster's fault.

Defence was better with Pala than Wallace at left back. Zal playing badly is due to Wallace returning??

Come on everyone. Get real.

Clerry Jambo

Defence was better when Bouzid and Zal were together. Webster comes in and it is his fault???

Defence was better with Pala than Wallace at left back. Zal playing badly is due to Wallace returning??

Well said Syd

But we are dealing with the Bombscare fan club you know :whistling:

Stupid Sexy Flanders

I don't see how Webster would affect Temps' performances. He obviously influences how the defence plays though. And I don't agree that Zal is playing badly.

Thing is, while im glad we have Webster back(and i backed him on thread earlier) i do wonder if things should have been left alone?

I still think Webster is unfit and he looked stiff on Saturday. Is he saying he`s fit when he`s not? When Zal and Bouzid played we hardly conceded. We had a combination of Bouzid`s no nonsense approach while Zal was the calm head and the organiser.

I think there is an authority issue between Web and Zal too and they need to get it sorted. Both are "struttin" about thinking the ball just comes to them like a magnet instead of actually doing their jobs and getting in about it. They are acting like big time charlies trying to show who`s the most in control.....feckin get a grip the pair o ye`s!

Agree.

Basically, we had a settled defence and they couldn't have done better.

Then Wallace returned and you couldn't leave him out (probably best outfield player over past two seasons) but playing him meant rearranging the midfield (where Pala thrived against St. J).

Then injuries and suspensions meant the team had to be changed around a bit. Consistency of selection of our holding midfielders (who had had an outstanding autumn) was lost, along with a considerable amount of form, andthat tall guy up front who had done so well got injured.

Webster came into that mix and is not the main cause of our poor results, though he has yet to gel with Zal and Zal looks to have lost some authority.

I think Webster's distribution is not so bad. He's particularly good at the first time lay-off which, when it works, can turn defence into attack.

Meanwhile, Bouzid's learning what happens to players who want away.

I don't see how Webster would affect Temps' performances. He obviously influences how the defence plays though. And I don't agree that Zal is playing badly.

I agree that Webster has nothing to do with Temps.

But I think people are trying to infer causality just because there is a correlation - ie, defence is performing worse, Webster came back, therefore defence is playing worse BECAUSE Webster came back. In reality, there are loads of reasons why our defence is seeming to play worse (lack of usual central midfield pairing, chopping and changing of fullbacks, Templeton not working so well as an outlet, Kyle not there to hold up the ball as well, so it comes straight back at us, defeats at OF in january and the SC defeat have knocked confidence, etc etc).

winston churchill

i'll say it again.

i find it strange that nobody has signed big bad bouzid up on a pre contract and also JJ/vlad have also give him the bums rush.

i am looking forward to seeing if/what club he gets in the summer.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

I reckon Dundee Utd wouldn't mind having Hundy back, maybe JJ should offer a straight swap for Garry Kenneth.

Fort Vallance

Thing is, while im glad we have Webster back(and i backed him on thread earlier) i do wonder if things should have been left alone?

I still think Webster is unfit and he looked stiff on Saturday. Is he saying he`s fit when he`s not? When Zal and Bouzid played we hardly conceded. We had a combination of Bouzid`s no nonsense approach while Zal was the calm head and the organiser.

I think there is an authority issue between Web and Zal too and they need to get it sorted. Both are "struttin" about thinking the ball just comes to them like a magnet instead of actually doing their jobs and getting in about it. They are acting like big time charlies trying to show who`s the most in control.....feckin get a grip the pair o ye`s!

That'll be a first !

rossthejambo

Agree.

Basically, we had a settled defence and they couldn't have done better.

Then Wallace returned and you couldn't leave him out (probably best outfield player over past two seasons) but playing him meant rearranging the midfield (where Pala thrived against St. J).

Then injuries and suspensions meant the team had to be changed around a bit. Consistency of selection of our holding midfielders (who had had an outstanding autumn) was lost, along with a considerable amount of form, andthat tall guy up front who had done so well got injured.

Webster came into that mix and is not the main cause of our poor results, though he has yet to gel with Zal and Zal looks to have lost some authority.

I think Webster's distribution is not so bad. He's particularly good at the first time lay-off which, when it works, can turn defence into attack.

Meanwhile, Bouzid's learning what happens to players who want away.

:vrface: Another JKB myth said enough times that it appears to have been turned into a fact.

I think it was widely recognised that up until January we had one of the best defences in the league, in fact if I remember rightly, only Celtic had conceded more than us. Since January, our defence has looked decidedly dodgy, and was in fact absolutely shambolic on Saturday.

I should remind you that Webster Joined in February, and the performances in January are not Websters fault. Not that it would matter.

Oh, and Webster is better than Zaliukas, I find it mind boggling that you think otherwise.

I should remind you that Webster Joined in February, and the performances in January are not Websters fault. Not that it would matter.

Oh, and Webster is better than Zaliukas, I find it mind boggling that you think otherwise.

I think you are being kind to Zaliukas to say Webster is "better" he is streaks ahead of Zaliukas.

He was running about like a headless chicken on Saturday ball watching most of the time and not picking up opposition players.

To make matters worse he had gloves on, poor wee soul must have been a bit cold.

I think you are being kind to Zaliukas to say Webster is "better" he is streaks ahead of Zaliukas.

He was running about like a headless chicken on Saturday ball watching most of the time and not picking up opposition players.

To make matters worse he had gloves on, poor wee soul must have been a bit cold.

Maybe but he was but he was not directly responsible for the 2 goals. We know who was.

I do not wish to be seen as someone who particularly rates Zal but I would remind you of how badly we were doing when he was out injured etc earlier in the campaign and how things turned round quickly when he returned

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Ah, apologies. I really just meant since Webster's return to be honest.

And it looks like we're going to continue to boggle each other's minds, as I say Zaliukas is twice the player Webster is.

And it looks like we're going to continue to boggle each other's minds, as I say Zaliukas is twice the player Webster is.

I'll have some of what you're on mate. :smoking:

Couldn't disagree more. I'm sure my good friend Mr H will be along in a minute to disagree further... (well I hope he does!)

Stupid Sexy Flanders

I'll have some of what you're on mate. :smoking:

Couldn't disagree more. I'm sure my good friend Mr H will be along in a minute to disagree further... (well I hope he does!)

Big Zal coming back into the team coincided with our best run of the season. Hundy's arrival coincided with our worst. Infer whatever you like from these facts.

Ryan Gosling

Webster's stats so far:

Games - 5

Wins - 3

Draws - 1

Losses - 1

Goals for - 7

Goals against - 5

Yeah, awful stuff.

Webster's stats so far:

Games - 5

Wins - 3

Draws - 1

Losses - 1

Goals for - 7

Goals against - 5

Yeah, awful stuff.

And the defeat came when we started with Bouzid, Zaliukas & Webster.

:ermm:

We_are_the_Hearts

I think the team as a whole were slack and allowed to much quality service into Higdon. Im sure Andy will be pumped up for the next match and marshall us to another victory at Fester Road. One to rely on in the big games.

Getintaethem

Webster's stats so far:

Games - 5

Wins - 3

Draws - 1

Losses - 1

Goals for - 7

Goals against - 5

Yeah, awful stuff.

Zals stats are better IMO :ninja:

Games - 25

wins - 17

draws - 3

losses -5

goals for -39

goals against - 19

Bouzid would have won the header for the first

I don't think he would have jumped like a big girl trying to avoid a paper aeroplane.

Francis Albert

Horrible stuff. I think Webster played a significant part in every chance (including the two goals) of St Mirren's shown in the highlights.

This particular jury is still out on Webster but Zal or Bouzid would have been absolutely roasted on here after a performance like that.

Ah, apologies. I really just meant since Webster's return to be honest.

That bit wasn't in doubt Alloa.

Here's the highlights from Saturday, have a watch and pay special attention to Hundy's "performance."

Laughable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vFsj4rptgM&feature=player_embedded#at=12

As for your opinion on "Hundy", I think it is slighted by your obvious issues about his first departure. You are either so blinded by your rage that you will never see his ability or you quite frankly are blind. I was as annoyed as you, in fact, I still am. That doesn't preclude me from stating the facts. It is quite frankly ridiculous to state that the defender in the running for Scottish Player of the Year last year, and arguably the best defender in the league last year, is half the player of the regularly shoddy Zaliukas. If only Zaliukas were to be judged by one bad game as you clearly judge "Hundy".

Allowayjambo1874

I hadn't paid great detail in the chances that St Mirren got and at the game it didn't register with me just who may or may not have been at fault.

When you really look at them Webster's positioning and attitude are criminal, he's not exactly busting a gut or throwing himself around trying to save the day. I did say to my mate at the game that even though I thought Webster was the best centre half we have, Bouzid-Zal had been the mainstay of our run and maybe they were a better combo, perhaps Webster was upsetting the balance. Now that I have watched the highlights I have to say that maybe he needs dropped for a couple of games until he gets his sh1t together.

Francis Albert

That bit wasn't in doubt Alloa.

As for your opinion on "Hundy", I think it is slighted by your obvious issues about his first departure. You are either so blinded by your rage that you will never see his ability or you quite frankly are blind. I was as annoyed as you, in fact, I still am. That doesn't preclude me from stating the facts. It is quite frankly ridiculous to state that the defender in the running for Scottish Player of the Year last year, and arguably the best defender in the league last year, is half the player of the regularly shoddy Zaliukas. If only Zaliukas were to be judged by one bad game as you clearly judge "Hundy".

Zal has his moments and I was never, even during our great pre-Christmas run, convinced that our central defence was as good as the statistics suggested. But I have never seen Zal (or Bouzid) make so many bad mistakes in crucial areas in so short a time against poorish opponents as Andy does here. And then he compounds the errors by standing in sort of disinterested observer mode as his colleagues desperately try to recover the position. Zal shoots him some glares but to his credit doesn't publicly remonstrate with him, as Andy is in the habit of doing if a colleague fails to live up to his high standards.

For what it's worth I don't much care about the history - I long ago gave up expecting "loyalty" from players. But I think Andy gets off lightly because of his (IMO) inflated reputation (one season in the last 5) and because some are wary of being seen to criticise him for the wrong reason. The fact that he got ratings of 5 s and even 6s for Staurday's performance (while the relatively blameless Obua got 0's and 1's) illustrates the point.

scott_jambo

If you watch Zal between 0.21 and 0.35 he is constantly facing the ball and sidefooting on his toes so that he is ready to intercept or be on the front foot if the ball comes into his area. (this is not about Zal - any central defender does this) while Webster for most of the highlights seems to run facing away from the play with his arse sticking out and when I say 'run' I mean in the loosest possible term.

I hope Webster was carrying a knock and this will be rectified because he is very flat footed - this won't wash in the derby, needs to get his act together.

Archived