We miss Bouzid

Cigaro

The defence has looked very shaky since Webster stepped in for Bouzid.

Maybe he's not the bombscare the Kickback managers think he is.

Only a Game

Bouzid is solid but unspectacular and a bit one dimensional.

Webster has a bit more of a football brain, but was turned very easily for the second goal today and not much in evidence for the first goal.

Our whole defence was absent at times today so it wasnt just Webster having an off day.

Long term with a run of games Webster will be the better option. Not his best effort today though

Webster Kenneth. Yes

Zal Bouzid. Yes

Zal Webster. No

Simple.

I don't think the balance is there TBH.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

But seeing as he is unlikely to be here next season and Webster is... I think we have to persevere with Webster.

tbf Webster only played one or two games before signing for us. Give him time we all know what he's capable off.

And I agree out of Webster and bouzid Webster is the way to go. The entire team were pretty awful today. First half especially so loosing the goals was down to the team not just Webster. Imo.

Mr Brightside

Got to disagree, Webster is far better in the air and positioning than bouzid. Webster also uses the ball better when it is at his feet.

I think Zal and Webster just need a few more games to gel.

Libertonian_II

That's a fair comment. At least Zaliukas tried to get the ball down and play football at times. Webster strolled it, but in a lazy way. The fact that a donkey like Higdon could have had a hat-trick against us, doesn't say much for Webster or Zaliukas

Got to disagree, Webster is far better in the air and positioning than bouzid. Webster also uses the ball better when it is at his feet.

Disagree with that, thought he has been very poor with the ball and put kello under pressure a few times today

Mr Brightside

Disagree with that, thought he has been very poor with the ball and put kello under pressure a few times today

Fair enough, but I think he is more likely to find the feet of a teammate with a short pass, than bouzids 40 yard diagonal punts.

Tommy Wiseau

In general he's right though. Bouzid is better than most people think he is, but he is very basic with the ball and usually just punts it long. Webster is far better with the ball at his feet, although you're right to say he put us under pressure today with his passing.

Snake Plissken

Webster looks like he needs a few more games to get into his stride and gel with the rest of the defence.

I'd keep the defence as it is until Lee Wallace is ready to step back in.

On the right wages I'd like to keep Bouzid. Far better than most SPL defenders, as for Diamond....

In general he's right though. Bouzid is better than most people think he is, but he is very basic with the ball and usually just punts it long. Webster is far better with the ball at his feet, although you're right to say he put us under pressure today with his passing.

I agree that webster is the better player but at the moment whether it be lack of games or what but he has been poor

Tommy Wiseau

I agree that webster is the better player but at the moment whether it be lack of games or what but he has been poor

Agreed, think he was well off the pace today especially. Hopefully he'll settle and start playing to his peak, because I'm needing a reason to stop disliking him and it's not come yet. :down:

Probably just a fitness issue though.

Bouzid and Zal have a good partnership.

Right now they look safer than Zal and Webster.

Webster looked poor on the ball today.

tommythejambo

Where did this myth about Webster being good with the ball at his feet come from?

He just kicks it the way he's facing. Good defender though.

Bouzid puts himself and the team in situiations that he shouldnt. He has no pace. Webster can read the game better and will try not to pump the ball aimlessly up the field ala Bouzid. Zal also looks a better player next to Webster who bosses him through the game to some extent. Noticed Webster was very vocal today also.

Tommy Wiseau

Where did this myth about Webster being good with the ball at his feet come from?

He just kicks it the way he's facing. Good defender though.

He's not good as in Gerard Pique, but what people mean is that he always looks to play a simple pass or find a man, which he tends to do. Bouzid either pumps it long or hits an aimless clearance the majority of the time.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

We don't miss Bouzid.

Hearts manager agrees with the Kickback managers on that one.

Agreed, think he was well off the pace today especially. Hopefully he'll settle and start playing to his peak, because I'm needing a reason to stop disliking him and it's not come yet. :down:

Probably just a fitness issue though.

Im finding it very difficult too, ever since his first touch against Dundee utd ended up in them getting a corner from his feck up

Webster looks finished. He can't run and is stiff as a board. Sorry to say, but he looks like a liability.

fabienleclerq

Webster Kenneth. Yes

Zal Bouzid. Yes

Zal Webster. No

Simple.

This. Both ferdinand role mop up (i know nowhere near as good) and bouzid the vidic(goes and attacks)

Snake Plissken

'MOTM' Cigaro is spot on.

Cigaro 'The Torpedo' knows his stuff when it comes to defenders.

Captain Lithuania

Webster looks finished. He can't run and is stiff as a board. Sorry to say, but he looks like a liability.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Harry Palmer

I thought no15 was meant to make the defence solid without breaking sweat.

This.

Bouzid and Zal were not so clever at first. Zal has a pretty unorthodox style for a centre half that may well take a bit of time to get used to.

Anyone who seriously thinks we missed Bouzid is a total, hows your granny!

6 goals conceded in 3 games says otherwise. :teehee:

portobellojambo1

I suppose we all see games differently Cigaro. Webster played his opening match for us against Hamilton, which he strolled through with ease and we won comfortably with no dodgy moments in defence. We then took on Dundee United at Tynecastle, and again Webster played his part in a fixture we won, and he did nothing wrong. We then went to Pittodrie, and he went off injured around 30 minutes into the game. We played and defended no better thereafter and the game ended goalless. He then missed the next fixture versus Kilmarnock, and we got horsed 2-0, with Bouzid and Zaliukas in the middle of the defence. He came back into the side on Wednesday at Tannadice, and was the best man in the Hearts side by an absolute country mile (a fixture which we went on to lose as a result of conceding an unnecessary opening goal following a stupid mistake by his defensive partner).

Today I didn't witness all these mistakes that he made according to people on this thread. The one thing that I raised my eyebrows at was a pass across the penalty box second half meant for Kello, which could have been played better. What I did witness was someone who, like Palazuelos, seems to understand the opposition cannot score against you if they don't have the ball so isn't averse to playing short 10 yard passes to other Hearts players to retain possession of the ball. I also noticed that he realised early on that lumping the ball up the park for Obua wasn't working, and when he played the ball forward he tried to play it into the channels or chip it over the St Mirren midfield players looking for Stephen Elliott's feet.

I don't think he played great today, I don't think any Hearts player played great today (in fact as I said on another thread we are fortunate that in the 1st half St Mirren didn't take advantage of the chances they created, we could easily have gone in at H/T trailing 0-3 or 0-4 and had no complaints), but the downturn in form (and that downturn probably started following the 5-0 defeat of Aberdeen at Tynecastle back on 11 December) has got bugger all to do with Webster being in the team, or Bouzid being out.

Webster Kenneth. Yes

Zal Bouzid. Yes

Zal Webster. No

Simple.

Webster Barr next season though.

davemclaren

I think the Webster and Zal partnership will take time to totally gel. However, surely no-one really thinks Bouzid is better than Webster, do they? :blink:

Bouzid is fine as a back up and I wouln't be surprised to see him sign another contract on that basis as I can't believe he can move any higher than Hearts.

Harry Palmer

Excellent, so he had nothing to do with all those clean sheets and victories that we enjoyed.

So simple question.

Have we been a stronger defensive unit since webster came back?

I think not!

He may be a "better" football player than Bouzid, but has he made our defence more solid?

I think not. He doesnt play well with Zal, he is an individual. No use to the team.

For me he can eff right of.

Arrogant with a bad attitude.

If you are reading this you arrogant ****, piss off. You're view of yourself is overblown. Webster I hate you....we were better before you signed.

F*k off.*

Webster = One of the best defenders ever to play for Hearts.

Bouzid = One of the worst defenders ever to play for Hearts.

Hearts with Bouzid...going great, few goals conceded and fighting for the top 2!

Hearts with Judas...hardly won a game and throwing away third spot!

Feel free to try and argue that.

Teuchterjambo

Webster Kenneth. Yes

Zal Bouzid. Yes

Zal Webster. No

Simple.

You missed Webster/Bouzid - should be in there as an option with a yes/no surely - they are both at the club.

Harry Palmer

:biglaugh:

:facepalm:

Snake Plissken

And you are laughing, why exactly?

Because it's utter garbage?

If Bouzid is the worst defender we've ever had we're doing well.

Because it's utter garbage?

If Bouzid is the worst defender we've ever had we're doing well.

I said one of?

He's certainly nowhere near the class of Webster.

And we are doing well so what are you talking about?

Snake Plissken

I said one of?

He's certainly nowhere near the class of Webster.

And we are doing well so what are you talking about?

Bouzid one of the worst defenders we've had?

Sensationalist garbage.

He isn't a great technical player but he largely plays to his strengths and keeps things simple and in the SPL, that usually works. I doubt he's even in the top 10 worst defenders we've had, in fact I doubt he's in even the top 20. We've kept far too many clean sheets this season for him to be a bad player. Webster is better but it's ridiculous to say there's such a huge gulf between them.

Bouzid one of the worst defenders we've had?

Sensationalist garbage.

He isn't a great technical player but he largely plays to his strengths and keeps things simple and in the SPL, that usually works. I doubt he's even in the top 10 worst defenders we've had, in fact I doubt he's in even the top 20. We've kept far too many clean sheets this season for him to be a bad player. Webster is better but it's ridiculous to say there's such a huge gulf between them.

Ok fair enough, I'm fairly young and obviously haven't seen as much as most.

But my point was Webster is a much better defender.

Out of interest, who are some of the worst defenders to play for us?

Zal and the Bouzid kept teams from scoring against us. That is a fact but people pick their favourites, that is the way it is.

Bouzid puts himself and the team in situiations that he shouldnt. He has no pace. Webster can read the game better and will try not to pump the ball aimlessly up the field ala Bouzid. Zal also looks a better player next to Webster who bosses him through the game to some extent. Noticed Webster was very vocal today also.

The bit in bold is the main problem for me.

We had a great run with a back 4 consisting pretty much 2 midfielders (Ruben and Eggert) an average no nonsense centre half (Bouzid) and 1 person organising (Zal). Everybody did what they were told and were an effective and successful unit.

Today i noticed, especially in the 1st half, Zal as usual appeared to be organising however Webster was very vocal and wandering about waving his arms alot, doing his own thing, and gave the impression he seemed to think he owned the place. We need 1 organiser and 3 listening, Zal is captain and has previously organised a make shift defence pretty well, Webster needs to learn to follow and not do his own thing which IMO causes the chaos.

The back 4 including Zal look disorganised and apprehensive as he and Webster are shouting and pointing at the same time. I understand we need leaders on the park but there is a time and a place to voice opinion and there should only be 1 person running the back 4.

Note. Not sure if anything was said at half time but i got the impression Webster wasn't as vocal in the 2nd half?

Regardless of who is the better "footballer" our defence was a better unit and more effective with Bouzid than it is currently with Webster.

Harry Palmer

No15 doesn't break sweat whilst making us stronger at the back....

And Jonsson is shite too.

:ninja:

portobellojambo1

Hearts with Bouzid...going great, few goals conceded and fighting for the top 2!

Webster has played in five games for us

And the record from those games is won 3 drawn 1 lost 1 that is a 60% win record, 20% draw and 20% loss, which equates to 10 of the 58 points we have.

If we had been achieving those percentages in the games he hasn't played in this season we would presently be sitting on 60 points. If you are intent on arguing a point I would suggest that at this stage a better argument would be that there hasn't, as yet, been any dramatic improvement. And the period you refer to, when we were on a huge high, came to an end weeks prior to Webster arriving.

davemclaren

To be fair Webster has only played in 1 of our recent 2 defeats. Bouzid has played in both. :cool_shades:

Anyway, I do think Bouzid is a reasonable defender and has played well this season. I just think Webster is better.

Archived