Jefreez has know plan B ZOMG!111!one

Snake Plissken

Snake Plissken

Been seeing a lot of this 'JJ has no plan B' chat of late.

Now as I understand it, a Plan B is something to go to when the original plan is not working, yes? Well slap me sideways and call me a coconut but hasn't Jefferies made changes that have have won us the game? Here's a couple of recent examples:

January 1st 2011

Hearts finding it difficult to break down Hibs, JJ brings on Novikovas who sets up the winner.

January 19th 20011

Hearts trailing to Kilmarnock, brings on Steven Elliott who scores twice.

I'm sure if I dug further I could find several others.

Do these not count? I'm sure I can think of a couple of others if I delved deeper but there's two examples in the last two months of a so-called plan B. After a couple of crap results in what has been a very decent season I'm seeing all sorts of criticism and precious little in the way of alternative suggestions. The goal Dundee United scored was in the last 10 minutes of the game, not exactly a great deal of time to deploy a plan B, is there?

So riddle me this knee-jerkers, what tactics would YOU have employed last night that would have certainly succeeded in less than ten minutes?

I'm not saying JJ is perfect or excusing a disappointing run of form, I'm just dismayed at how quickly one of the best runs I've seen has been dismissed after a couple of bad performances from a squad that has it's fair share of injuries and is lacking in certain areas. So aye, have a moan but at least engage your brain a bit first, eh?

We'll beat St Mirren comfortably on Saturday and seal third place, at last the team seems to be going in the right direction and with a couple of good signings next season could be very good indeed.

The People's Chimp

I think it is based, in part, on the way that JJ seems to stick to a particular set of tactics - for instance, now that Kyle is out, we've been left looking like we've not really got many ideas - other than to keep trying to employ the tactics we'd been using to great effect with Kyle in the team. In a way, JJ still has to contend with opinions of him developed towards the end of his last time in charge, when we really did look like we'd run out of ideas.

I think it is based, in part, on the way that JJ seems to stick to a particular set of tactics - for instance, now that Kyle is out, we've been left looking like we've not really got many ideas - other than to keep trying to employ the tactics we'd been using to great effect with Kyle in the team. In a way, JJ still has to contend with opinions of him developed towards the end of his last time in charge, when we really did look like we'd run out of ideas.

I think it's based, in the main, on 90% of the folk on this site no having a ****ing clue.

correct. it's not that JJ has no plan B... it's more that JJ chooses not to employ plan B/C/D and prefers to stick to plan A.

whether that's right or wrong is immaterial. the point being that he's the man in the chair and people were happy enough at that in the good times. they'll just have to lump it during the bad times.

The problem is because of injuries and suspensions we are having to START with Plan B or even plan C. Plan C, with our squad, is hump it long and plan D is hope for an own goal.

We have ridden our luck many times this season with our best team. The season is catching up with us and the squad players are being found out.

A few more wins and we will secure third and we will have had a successful first season under JJ.

3 - 4 players out in the summer with 3-4 players in and next season should be better.

It took JJ 3-4 season last time round to build a team and this time will be no different. We have about 10 players that are a waist of space at the moment and replace them with 5 first team level players and we'll be in a better place.

JJ has many strengths but master tactician is not one of his greatest ones. This has been the case in both spells whether you "name callers" like it or not. It was also a perceived problem at Kilmarnock. Last night in fact the writing was on the wall for a long while and the goals came late when we looked like we might get away with it. We were certainly lucky the previous United game at Tynecastle. Other sides clearly change things during games while we seem often to change like for like. Plus some fans would surely like to see if some of the younger players could freshen things up compared to some players who have had chances to impress and failed. Having some reservations does not mean that people want rid of the manager and surely they can express their views? I seem to remember plenty of people strongly defending Csaba in his earlier times and rejecting any critiscism. I do in amongst this feel that JJ is definitely the right man for the job at this time, as do most people, even those with the temerity to say that things are not currently going very well.

shaun.lawson

correct. it's not that JJ has no plan B... it's more that JJ chooses not to employ plan B/C/D and prefers to stick to plan A.

whether that's right or wrong is immaterial. the point being that he's the man in the chair and people were happy enough at that in the good times. they'll just have to lump it during the bad times.

I also think it has to do with the wanton neglect of attacking and creative positions in the team in the years before JJ was appointed. He and Vlad have improved that considerably, but there's still quite some way to go; and that we're so dependent on Kyle shows we desperately need more attacking players. Rome wasn't built in a day; few football squads are completely rebuilt within a year. It takes two or three years for a manager to put together his squad, so patience is what's needed.

I also think it has to do with the wanton neglect of attacking and creative positions in the team in the years before JJ was appointed. He and Vlad have improved that considerably, but there's still quite some way to go; and that we're so dependent on Kyle shows we desperately need more attacking players. Rome wasn't built in a day; few football squads are completely rebuilt within a year. It takes two or three years for a manager to put together his squad, so patience is what's needed.

yes good points.

we eventually got two tremendous experienced strikers. like other teams we augment the experienced guys with younger players who have come through the ranks. the difference between hearts and some other clubs is that our 'second echelon' strikers have proved themselves to be not fit for purpose. elliot, glen and mole would surely have achieved greater things by now if it was ever going to happen. elliot did in actual fact achieve more during 05/06, probably because of the team being packed with significantly better players.

other clubs would have moved those three on by now.

The problem is that we're still using the same tactics that we were when Kyle was in the side. We've stuck with the single striker, who has been left totally isolated in the last few matches. Playing the same long balls up fron the full-backs, even though our striker isn't winning them and we're not picking up the second balls. Our wingers can't get involved in play because there's nobody willing to play the one two passes with them to get them forward, there's just no support for our attack in general.

Of course we've had injuries that've really hurt us, but when that happens you change the game plan. You have mentioned the away game at Killie, we came back from 1-0 down there when we changed the plan. Glen and Elliott upfront had far more drive and in the end it paid off. The last few matches we have reverted to the same system that has looked utterly futile without a dominant target man striker.

Against Aberdeen, we were lucky to walk away with anything, given the number of chances they created. At home to Killie we failed to adapt once again, they had a number of breaks on us where they could've torn us apart had they shown a little more composure in finding that final pass/finish on the many breaks where they outnumbered us, we could've been out of it by half-time. We lose two slack goals and still, we fail to change the system and keep playing like we would if Kyle was there.

Last night was just frustrating, it's not just that we're losing, it's that we're not creating the chances we have been this season. The formation doesn't work with the players we currently have. People are annoyed because we've failed to change and adapt to our current situation.

Jefferies failed to make meaningful changes to counter Kilmarnock's gameplan, we couldn't create any real chances against ten men and the fans were rightfully frustrated. Last night his team selection was poor and we didn't play to our strengths and in the end we lost another two sloppy goals.

What would I have done? I'd have changed our system, as you'll agree we looked the best we have for some time away to Killie. So I'd have gone with that and started playing two upfront to try and create a more penetrative attack where our forwards have the support that they've been dying for.

jamboinglasgow

You could also say the start of our amazing run this season was a plan B. Against Killie we played a 4-4-2 and kept getting hit on the break by Killie. We were using Skacel on the left wing, full backs of Jonsson on the left and Barr on the right. A midfield pair of Mrowiec and Ruben. With Suso on the right. Kyle and Elliot were up front. It was what we had been playing all season with mixed results. So he pulled Ruben back to left back, put Jonsson on the right, created a midfield pairing of Black and Mrowiec, created a 3 man attacking line of Templeton, Skacel and Elliott. And had Kyle as the target man. It was a change which really worked. Kyle is the key to that attacking line, he draws defenders away as he is such a presence but can still header it out to those around him, where nippy wingers such as Templeton, Elliott and Suso. Or knock it back to Skacel to use. I dont think its any surprise that Templeton has really fallen away since Kyle has been injured as with less of the presence at the front, defenders can conentrate on Templeton more and close him out.

So he can change it, he just needs to figure out how to get the attacking side working again without the large target man.

Indeed.

Our transfer activity and contracts to youth players over the last 5 years has the squad all over the place. Big earners not pulling their weight, players who aren't good enough on long contracts etc.

Takes longer than just over a year to overhaul the squad.

By the end of next season we should hopefully have gotten rid of most of the freeloaders and be able to build a more cost effective and better quality squad.

Some excellent posts on this thread. I don't think jj's tactics have been ideal of late but there are some good reminders here regarding jj thinking on his feet and making decisive changes that did work. I think the poor form is more down to poor performances by players who we have relied on than bad tactical decisions tbh.

Indeed.

Our transfer activity and contracts to youth players over the last 5 years has the squad all over the place. Big earners not pulling their weight, players who aren't good enough on long contracts etc.

By the end of next season we should hopefully have gotten rid of most of the freeloaders and be able to build a more cost effective and better quality squad.

Yes, this has always been my view - it will take another year to move out all of the pyramid/Laszlo weak players. Last summer was a good start - and good characters have been brought in during the last 2 transfer windows.

With regard to the Killie game mentioned - should be remembered that game had started with the Kyle-less Plan A - Obua up front and Templeton/Novikovas wide. Obua was of course hopeless - but JJ changed the game when Glen and Elliot came on (to be fair Stevenson was good when he came on there too) and we played a front 2. Going to Plan B really worked well in that game. It is strange that there hasn't been another attempt to play the way we finished that game.

I'm hoping for next season that Kyle can play more matches. But also that we will be trying to find a striker with out and out pace to change the way we can play if need be.

jambojim1986

JJ doesnt even have a plan A at the moment. We are absolutely terrible. I honestly wonder how we managed to go on that run, which seems a while ago now.

Jefferies HAS deployed a plan B, that is the problem. Earlier in the season we were causing teams all sorts of problems with high tempo but patient, short passing attacking football - which actually suited Kevin Kyle. Why we have suddenly deployed defensive, long ball tactics is beyond me. The manager seems to have gone into panic mode since the 4-0 defeat to Celtic instead of accepting it for what it was, an off day against a better team.

I think it's based, in the main, on 90% of the folk on this site no having a ****ing clue.

Exactly.

JJ doesnt even have a plan A at the moment. We are absolutely terrible. I honestly wonder how we managed to go on that run, which seems a while ago now.

JJ's plan A

Kello

Jonsson-Zaliukas-Webster-Wallace

Black-Palazuelos

Templeton (or Suso)-Skacel-Driver (or Elliott)

Kyle

Pretty clear. Also pretty clear it is not available to him. His plan B has clearly been to replace Kyle with Elliott/Obua or Elliot. I disagree with him that that is the right way to go - but it clearly is his plan.

jambojim1986

JJ's plan A

Kello

Jonsson-Zaliukas-Webster-Wallace

Black-Palazuelos

Templeton (or Suso)-Skacel-Driver (or Elliott)

Kyle

Pretty clear. Also pretty clear it is not available to him. His plan B has clearly been to replace Kyle with Elliott/Obua or Elliot. I disagree with him that that is the right way to go - but it clearly is his plan.

That there is a formation, not a plan. IE a gameplan. He puts the best available players on the pitch perhaps. But none of them seem to really know what they are meant to be doing. Is Stevenson a midfielder? A forward? A ******? No one knows. Does Calum Elliot know which way to shoot? Does Zaliukas actually know he's meant to be in charge on the pitch? Has JJ informed Ian Black he isnt a cage fighter? All of these questions lead me to believe JJ HAS NO PLAN A, B, C or Z. He puts 11 footballers on the park every week and expects them to win, it has been mouldy for months now and everyone seen this dreadful run of results coming a mile off, even when we were still winning.

Still, it could be worse.

We could still have Laszlo, the man who chose Obua and paid a transfer fee for Balogh (precluding strikers coming in) when he had Kello on a plate - and the man who has 3 wins in 21 games at his new club. :lol:

Now as I understand it, a Plan B is something to go to when the original plan is not working, yes? Well slap me sideways and call me a coconut but hasn't Jefferies made changes that have have won us the game? Here's a couple of recent examples:

January 1st 2011

Hearts finding it difficult to break down Hibs, JJ brings on Novikovas who sets up the winner.

January 19th 20011

Do these not count? I'm sure I can think of a couple of others if I delved deeper but there's two examples in the last two months of a so-called plan B. After a couple of crap results in what has been a very decent season I'm seeing all sorts of criticism and precious little in the way of alternative suggestions. The goal Dundee United scored was in the last 10 minutes of the game, not exactly a great deal of time to deploy a plan B, is there?

So riddle me this knee-jerkers, what tactics would YOU have employed last night that would have certainly succeeded in less than ten minutes?

I'm not saying JJ is perfect or excusing a disappointing run of form, I'm just dismayed at how quickly one of the best runs I've seen has been dismissed after a couple of bad performances from a squad that has it's fair share of injuries and is lacking in certain areas. So aye, have a moan but at least engage your brain a bit first, eh?

We'll beat St Mirren comfortably on Saturday and seal third place, at last the team seems to be going in the right direction and with a couple of good signings next season could be very good indeed.

Hibs game, was it not a winger for a winger as oppised to a change in a style of play?

Killie, he did change it (for the better most will agree) and it worked, but he seems lothe to start a game like that.

As for what could be done last night after going a goal down with less than ten mins to go....why should we have to wait until going behind to change things, what was wrong with going with, say a starting linr up of glen and elliott up front.

Id like JJ to surprise us (and the opposition) with a starting line up thst looks as though we sant to create chances instead of the usual line up where we have to grind out chances. Give the forwards a chance and support. Mix it up JJ as we have become too predictable for the opposition.

gowestjambo

That there is a formation, not a plan. IE a gameplan. He puts the best available players on the pitch perhaps. But none of them seem to really know what they are meant to be doing. Is Stevenson a midfielder? A forward? A ******? No one knows. Does Calum Elliot know which way to shoot? Does Zaliukas actually know he's meant to be in charge on the pitch? Has JJ informed Ian Black he isnt a cage fighter? All of these questions lead me to believe JJ HAS NO PLAN A, B, C or Z. He puts 11 footballers on the park every week and expects them to win, it has been mouldy for months now and everyone seen this dreadful run of results coming a mile off, even when we were still winning.

At last someone who can see the glaringly obvious. Too fans fans cannot see the difference between results and performances. We have played some excellent football but we have won games where we were absolutely dire.

I think JJ's strengths are more motivational than tactical.

There is no doubt that since the turn of the year we have been pretty disappointing in most of the games

Killie, he did change it (for the better most will agree) and it worked, but he seems lothe to start a game like that.

Id like JJ to surprise us (and the opposition) with a starting line up thst looks as though we sant to create chances instead of the usual line up where we have to grind out chances. Give the forwards a chance and support. Mix it up JJ as we have become too predictable for the opposition.

:Agree:

We looked far better going forward when we had some more support. Glen and Elliott linked up well, so why not start with them? Why do we always revert to the same formation with the same style of play that only works with a real target man like Kyle?

There's nothing knee-jerk at all about saying this, it's an observed fact.

Jam Tarts 1874

All Jeffries' plans are the same and they all involve getting the ball out wide to Temps, Driver or Suso in the hope that they can do something. When did we last pass the ball through midfield?

In 97-98 JJ tried to play the same attacking way against Rangers every game and we came away with nothing apart from a draw at Ibrox in the 4 league games. He then decided to change his formation completely in the Cup Final - and we won our first cup in too many years.

If that isnt a fine example of Jim having a plan B, then I'm not sure what is.

This "no plan B" is an easy excuse for supporters who need a scapegoat after a bad performance or a defeat.

JJ, BB and the players (not the young ones who dont get a game, but all the players who DO get a game) have taken Hearts back to 3rd place in the league. In a season of consolidation, this is a fine achievement.

We've been off the boil since we lost in the Cup, and we were pretty shite at the beginning of the year too, but honestly, can some of you give it a rest?

January 1st 2011

January 19th 20011

It's a bit early to say that if we beat St Mirren we have sealed third place! We are 12 points ahead of Dundee Utd who have a game in hand so if they win that game they are 9 points behind with a further two games to play before the split.

There is every chance that they could be a lot closer to us at the split and on our current form I can't see us beating any of the five teams we ahve to play so I think it could still be very tight for third.

mahgrassyshoes

I thought it was only 50%?! :whistling:

hearts_crazy

I've said it before and I will say it again, look at the players he had available to him on Wednesday. He started with probably ther strongest line up available, given that Rudi's form of late has not been up to much, likewise Driver. He DID go to plan B when went a goal down, it involved bringing on Obua as a target man, it didn't work of course, (although if Templeton's shot had gone in from Obua's knock down it would have worked), but it was a plan B.

Snake Plissken

19th March 2011

Trailing 1-0 and makes two changes that make us look a lot more dangerous, then brings on Stevenson who helps turn the game around.

No Plan B right enough...

19th March 2011

Trailing 1-0 and makes two changes that make us look a lot more dangerous, then brings on Stevenson who helps turn the game around.

Not to mention throws on youngster Robinson who plays superbly, and Driver who also played his part.

In fact the three substitutes today were the three stand out players on the park IMO.

EDIT - I see you did mention them :facepalm:

Chris Benoit

19th March 2011

:greatpost:

19th March 2011

Yes but what people are trying to say is why do we always resort back to 'Plan A' for the next game, instead of starting with the plan B that worked.

A test for JJ is our next game, will he start with the sort of line-up/tactics we started with today or will he start with the Plan B that worked well and made us take the game to the opposition?

Jefferies HAS deployed a plan B, that is the problem. Earlier in the season we were causing teams all sorts of problems with high tempo but patient, short passing attacking football - which actually suited Kevin Kyle. Why we have suddenly deployed defensive, long ball tactics is beyond me. The manager seems to have gone into panic mode since the 4-0 defeat to Celtic instead of accepting it for what it was, an off day against a better team.

Plan B first half - utter s***e

Plan A second half - chances and goals

Plan A for the rest of the season please

Libertonian_II

19th March 2011

I'll give you the 2 changes but Stevenson was down to Templeton's injury, not tactics

Snake Plissken

I'll give you the 2 changes but Stevenson was down to Templeton's injury, not tactics

True or false:

Jim Jefferies made tactical changes which won the game today thereby thoroughly exposing the 'JJ has no plan B' chat for the mythical shite it is.

True.

Teenwolf wins again.

:verysmug:

Plan A was "play Kevin Kyle football without Kevin Kyle"

Regardless of the substitutions the bigger change was the tactical approach.

We stopped trying to play the direct early ball and started to keep it on the deck

True or false:

Jim Jefferies made tactical changes which won the game today thereby thoroughly exposing the 'JJ has no plan B' chat for the mythical shite it is.

True.

Teenwolf wins again.

True.

Another win for the kids who can think without forming their opinion through either the Daily Record, or their equally as retarded pals in the pub.

ObamaSmug.jpg

Tiberius Stinkfinger

JJ is top class and the man to lead Hearts.

Perhaps he has got used to losing a lot more than he should.

When he reads the above statement I suspect he will dig even deeper and push the expectation and performances to another level.

Or he can GTF.....:thumbsup:

Libertonian_II

True or false:

True.

Teenwolf wins again.

Stick to the facts. Stevenson came on because Templeton was injured.

Agree or disagree?

Teenwolf full of himself.

Snake Plissken

Stick to the facts. Stevenson came on because Templeton was injured.

Agree or disagree?

Teenwolf full of himself.

I deal exclusively in facts, bub.

Please quote anything I've said that's not true.

The changes made by the manager won the game today, no amount of straw-clutching from the knee-jerkers can change that fact.

Ergo: Teenwolf wins.

Again.

Harry Palmer

I'll reiterate my earlier point...

Malofeev :thumbsup:

Csaba :thumbsup:

I trust my vork here is done.

I'll reiterate my earlier point...

Malofeev :thumbsup:

Csaba :thumbsup:

I trust my vork here is done.

I think you just served him :)

Couldnt have said it better :)

jamboinglasgow

Indeed.

completely agree with you. We have been in the past 5 years very bad at offering correct contracts to players or signing the right players. With JJ in we seem to be making correct signings, players who fit the team and not on high wages for little return. I also remembering hearing that he wants to offer U19 graduates who he feels could make the grade 1 or 2 year contracts to keep that hunger in the players.

As you say give it a year or two and we should have a trimmer squad packed more with players who do something rather then passengers.

For JJ it is a long term project.

Archived