Walter Kidd

jambodan

He was a true Jambo eh ? maybe not the most gifted RB in the world but BF did he make up for it with his 200% commitment,

A player that you would want nowadays that plays for the famous HMFC to have the same love for the badge and punters in the stands.

Howdy Doody Jambo

He was a true Jambo eh ? maybe not the most gifted RB in the world but BF did he make up for it with his 200% commitment,

A player that you would want nowadays that plays for the famous HMFC to have the same love for the badge and punters in the stands.

You can only give 100% , he certainly played for the jersey though

You can only give 100% , he certainly played for the jersey though

You've obviously never read a Robbie Neilson thread :P

Only a Game

Robbie Neilson, but less talented IMO

Robbie Neilson, but less talented IMO

The most two slagged right backs in my time.Two testimonials as well.At least we replaced Walter a lot easier than Robbie though. :ninja:

I thought he did a good job for us more often than not and he certainly played from the heart.I don't think you would find many games where he didn't give his all and you can't ask for more than that IMO.

On a side note, my wife has a client who knows Walter and when my wife found this out she asked if she could get Walters autograph for me. I had been, and still am, Ill with pancreatic problems and when Walter was informed of the request for an autograph and my health issues, not only did I get the autograph he put it on a hearts piece of kit he had.

He didn't have to do this, he autographed something he personally owned, what a great and lovely gesture and gift.

I'll tell you that it certainly made me very happy and lifted my spirits during a very difficult time for me and my family.

For this and for the many years of service to the famous HMFC , that makes him a Legend in my eyes.

Zico, Zico, Zico.

Rod.

cousinsofnoone

Zico was limited technically but he put in a lot of fine performances as a midfield man marker against superior teams when we were a struggling Premier Division outfit. Decent servant in a -mostly - poor team.

grumpyespana

Lol Zico was my type of player always remember the day I put money on him to score the first goal but cannie remember how much I won ?.

Grumpy.

Buffalo Bill

I liked Walter. To simply say 'he was shit' is complete insult and horribly dismissive to a guy who gave us years of dedicated service in a time of sweeping changes and vast improvements in the club's fortunes.

He was without doubt, limited in his technical ability but what a quiet, hard working skipper who led his team to a record-breaking unbeaten run in 1985/86. And what about Walter Kidd, European super star? The guy who completed the greatest off-side spring in history, out-foxing the entire Austria Vienna defence and going on to tee up Mike Golloway for the only goal of the tie.

During season 2007/08, as we lost successive home games to Motherwell, ICT and St Mirren, I remember thinking back to the good old days of the 1980s, old Tynecastle and a simpler, less-complicated Heart of Midlothian in which everyone gave their all. Walter Kidd immediately came to mind.

The Treasurer

He was shit imo.

And I thought it was just the entire CURRENT squad you slagged off but it appears you've been doing it for yearshuh.gif

wheatfield to sheffield

Hunter Davies has written a good piece about why right backs are never fans' favourites.

And as for Walter Kidd? worth a punt, IMO, etc.

Zico was never my favourite player in the 80s team, but it never crossed my mind that we should get an alternative (sorry Malky Murray), until Hugh Burns arrived and for all that Burns west-coast problems, I though he was a great player.

Guess The Crowd

Hunter Davies has written a good piece about why right backs are never fans' favourites.

And as for Walter Kidd? worth a punt, IMO, etc.

Zico was never my favourite player in the 80s team, but it never crossed my mind that we should get an alternative (sorry Malky Murray), until Hugh Burns arrived and for all that Burns west-coast problems, I though he was a great player.

For a spell, the support almost unaminously wanted Burns in the team instead of Kidd.

Alex MacDonald couldn't have disagreed more. From talking to him one night, it was clear he didn't rate Burns. By contrast, he had enormous respect for Kidd - as a person as well as a player.

Walter Kidd

Davie Cooper never had a harder opponent than Zico. Source: Davie Cooper to me in Majorca 1987.

davemclaren

Walter gave his all for the shirt and was as harad as nails. I lked him as it was players like him that saw us through some really difficult times.

Walter Kidd was a stalwart for Hearts throughout the 80's. He wasn't the best, but he never hid.

I must admit that I preferred George Cowie at right back though.

cowiegeorge.jpg

Hugh Burns was poor.

Buffalo Bill

For a spell in 87/88, I thought Burns looked a very good player*, but he was disliked at the club and didn't last long.

Incredibly, Walter Kidd played a game for us in season 94/95, four years after his previous last game for the club, although this was much to do with Tommy McLean's unwillingness to give Paul Ritchie a game.

*Check out p0ab2's video of Hearts 4 Dundee 2 Oct '87.

The Treasurer

Walter Kidd was a stalwart for Hearts throughout the 80's. He wasn't the best, but he never hid.

I must admit that I preferred George Cowie at right back though.

It's maybe old age but I always remember GC more as a left back blink.gif

londonjambo

Walter was a complete cult ..... hero of mine

I am sure I cant be the only one who has one of these T's at home

Zico

GC

The Treasurer

A wee side note on the great Zico.

I was clearing some stuff from my attic last week and came across a programme from the Walter Kidd Testimonial Night at the Playhouse.

I remember attending but details of the evening are a bit hazy.

PsychocAndy

At the Hamilton game, 2-0 Gangsta Dave and Temps, he was in the Robbo suite just behind us. I was telling the wee fella all about him in a mature manner only to hear him tell his Auld Lady that I was gushing like a wee girl about him.

Zico and Robbie seem to be like Marmite. I like marmite and I like these 2. Might not be the best players ever but my God they earned their wages every week.

Zico was brave, well liked and ran up and down the right hand side all day. Exaclty what we needed when he was in the team. He didnt need to be creative, JC was there to do that. He wasnt the best player in the world (that's why he started at Newtongrange Star and not Real Madrid), but he did very well for Hearts, and anyone who can blanket state he was shit is being a bit unfair.

Hugh Burns, on the other hand, was a complete erse - who did, when he first arrived, look like a fantastic player. If I recall rightly, though, he was a bit Therapist in his views on the Celtic minded and wouldn't use the showers if JC and some of the others were in there. Might be an urban myth, but Sandy Clark knocked him out cold, Alex McD saw that he was an erse and that noone liked him or wanted him in the team, and soon the Shug was on the outer.

CF11JamTart

Zico was brave, well liked and ran up and down the right hand side all day. Exaclty what we needed when he was in the team. He didnt need to be creative, JC was there to do that. He wasnt the best player in the world (that's why he started at Newtongrange Star and not Real Madrid), but he did very well for Hearts, and anyone who can blanket state he was shit is being a bit unfair.

Hugh Burns, on the other hand, was a complete erse - who did, when he first arrived, look like a fantastic player. If I recall rightly, though, he was a bit Therapist in his views on the Celtic minded and wouldn't use the showers if JC and some of the others were in there. Might be an urban myth, but Sandy Clark knocked him out cold, Alex McD saw that he was an erse and that noone liked him or wanted him in the team, and soon the Shug was on the outer.

that's the thing... we've had some exceptionally talented players in the time I've been following Hearts (circa 83), but we've also had a lot of solid, dependable, heart-on-the-sleeve grafters who gave all they had for the team. If they were technically world-beaters, they wouldn't be at Tynie.

I always really liked Zico. He got on with the job in hand, and mostly did an unglamourous job very very well.

Ecce Romanov

I thought Zeeeeeeeco was a great servant to the club. Ok not the slickiest of players but always good value and had a great season 89/90. A great goal from almost at the corner flag against DU (I think it hit off Alan Main and went in) and winding up/taking the p**s out of a Falkirk left winger were particular things that stick out. There were even chants for hime to get a call up for Italia 90 (albeit tongue in cheek)!

It's maybe old age but I always remember GC more as a left back blink.gif

I think he played both iirc. I remember him at RB though.

If Kidd was playing nowadays there would be a Kidd GTF thread on here after pretty much every game. He did always seem to have Davie Cooper in his pocket right enough for whatever reason. Hard as Titanium and a great Jambo, but no much of a player.

Heard the same story but it was Zico himself that knocked him out.Never took to Burns,which was strange as if i remember correctly we signed him the same day as Dave McPherson.Burns was the one that excited me the most. :o

CF11JamTart

Heard the same story but it was Zico himself that knocked him out.Never took to Burns,which was strange as if i remember correctly we signed him the same day as Dave McPherson.Burns was the one that excited me the most. :o

I agree with both...

1. I heard it was Zico who sparked-out Burns

2. And yeah, Burns and McPherson arrived on the same day... I think it was ?150K and ?350K), and it was Burns who I was most looking forward to being in the team. Funny how things work out. He's curently running a pub in Prestwick Main Sreet, btw.

He was shit imo.

Quell surprise!

Maybe it would do you the world of good to provide a list of Hearts players you like - if there are any that is.

Liked Zico and would rather we had a Zico clone to call on tonight than either of the Thomsons. He was even bandier than Stefan Adam if memory serves me right. Burns was crap which is why he never achieved anything. I remember Burns as the worst header of a ball I have ever seen.

The Treasurer

I think he played both iirc. I remember him at RB though.

Glad to here itsweat.gif

Thought I was starting to lose my memory there (no obvious comments please) tongue.gif

Zico was a big favourite for a lot of fans IMO out of respect for the man. It was clear a poor Hearts team was going to be the height of his footballing career. But he gave his all every game. And for those of us lucky enough to have followed the famous up and down the leagues, that was about all we could ask of a player.

I seem to remember he was with sellik as a kid, got released and ended up at newtongrange. So makes sense that he dropped burns.

Also would be nice if someone had a pic of Walter with his perm - not a good look!!!! I wouldn't tell him though, hard as nails.

mahgrassyshoes

If Kidd was playing nowadays there would be a Kidd GTF thread on here after pretty much every game. He did always seem to have Davie Cooper in his pocket right enough for whatever reason. Hard as Titanium and a great Jambo, but no much of a player.

Sounds like he is a Jason Thomson of days gone by. In this instance Riordan is a very, very, very poor man's davie cooper.

Thought he was gash for years and then suddenly, in a decent team with the right players around him he looked good. I consider him a hero now.

I agree with both...

1. I heard it was Zico who sparked-out Burns

2. And yeah, Burns and McPherson arrived on the same day... I think it was ?150K and ?350K), and it was Burns who I was most looking forward to being in the team. Funny how things work out. He's curently running a pub in Prestwick Main Sreet, btw.

The deal with Der Hun was "if you want McPherson you must take Burns, take them both or Big Davie stays where he is!"

CF11JamTart

The deal with Der Hun was "if you want McPherson you must take Burns, take them both or Big Davie stays where he is!"

Makes sense that Der Hun wanted him shipped. He managed to upset Souness (with italian missus at the time) with this "traditional" views on life.

Sounds like he is a Jason Thomson of days gone by. In this instance Riordan is a very, very, very poor man's davie cooper.

If Jason Thompson ever reaches Zicos pressence in the Hearts team he will be a happy boy, and as for mentioning rat boy in the same sentance as Davie Cooper......!!! :down:

colinmaroon

For a spell, the support almost unaminously wanted Burns in the team instead of Kidd.

Alex MacDonald couldn't have disagreed more. From talking to him one night, it was clear he didn't rate Burns. By contrast, he had enormous respect for Kidd - as a person as well as a player.

What does Doddy know about football compared to the sages on JKB?

The White Cockade

Wattie was the kind of one club player that most teams had back in those days

He was hard as nails and one of my all time favourites

He wasn't the most talented but I remember him being pretty good (and quick!) when he first made

the first team playing at right back

I think he made his debut in the LC QF game at home to Dundee Utd when we won after losing at Tannadice

That was the game with the waterlogged pitch - great game/great atmosphere - Cup games used to be great

but don't seem the same nowadays

I think Wattie's problems began when he was moved to midfield - and sported a Rough type perm - he struggled there

and the boo boys got to work which went on for a while

In fact I remember a game at Tynie against Clydebank where Zico scored both our goals and then a guy behind me shouted

"I still f******n hate you Kidd!"

A legend to me and made some classic crunching tackles

There were a few Shuggie Burns fans but no way were the majority of the fans wanting him in the team instead of Walter like someone said

Burns was a complete walloper and I was glad to see the back of him

cheeseypleasey

i met him at half time in the 98 cup final at half time 1-0 and me so happy and excited +i was steaming drunk ,noticed him and immeadatly started singing ZIIIIIIIICO!! shook my hand ,sound man ,great player end of

I liked Walter. To simply say 'he was shit' is complete insult and horribly dismissive to a guy who gave us years of dedicated service in a time of sweeping changes and vast improvements in the club's fortunes.

He was without doubt, limited in his technical ability but what a quiet, hard working skipper who led his team to a record-breaking unbeaten run in 1985/86. And what about Walter Kidd, European super star? The guy who completed the greatest off-side spring in history, out-foxing the entire Austria Vienna defence and going on to tee up Mike Golloway for the only goal of the tie.

During season 2007/08, as we lost successive home games to Motherwell, ICT and St Mirren, I remember thinking back to the good old days of the 1980s, old Tynecastle and a simpler, less-complicated Heart of Midlothian in which everyone gave their all. Walter Kidd immediately came to mind.

A very good point. Totaly agree, I was always a fan of big Walter aka Zico :thumbsup:

Archived