Taking a chance on players from the lower leagues

Jambomullins

Jambomullins

At a time when clubs are skint and looking for bargains, I'm surprised that more don't take a chance on players from the lower leagues. Over the past few seasons Graham Dorrans & Robert Snodgrass have left and done extremely well in England. Leigh Griffiths has recently left for Wolves and Rory Mcallister will likely be next. If the so called bigger leagues and clubs down south can take a chance why can't Hearts. We would save a fortune in the process and we all love to see Scottish talent being developed at Tynie and we can't do any worse than some of the shit that we currently have ie Elliot/Mole/Glen/Obua/Kucharski.

Hearts have a long history of this.

Just looking at our current squad and you will see Ryan Stevenson, Andrew Webster, David Templeton, Gordon Smith and The lads Kevin McHattie and Jordan Morton. Not to mention Ian Black and Darren Barr being signed from lesser SPL sides. We also spread our transfer target area wider than that, picking up Jonsson, Prychynenko, Novikovas, Snapkauskas, Kapustas, Ogleby and Lyness from foreign clubs as youngsters. We also tried to get the lad Halliday from Livingston before he went to Middlesbrough.

Whilst some clubs are guilty of ignoring lesser leagues and markets, we are not one of them.

What is often ignored (a classic example being the McAllister thread) is that scoring goals at a lesser level is not a guarantee of success. Two players with Hearts connections (current Hearts player Gordon Smith and ex Hearts player Andy Kirk) are scoring well in the league immediately below us. Andy Kirk is, frankly, past it and should not get a chance back here but some would have him given this. Smith is on the way up and is doing well. He scored regularly at Livingston, signed for us and scored regularly for the under 19's before now scoring regularly at Stirling. However, these good records don't guarantee success, look at Dennis Wyness.

I assume this thread has been started because of your wish for us to sign former ICT striker McAllister, can I ask another question? Would you give McAllister a chance because of a decent third tier scoring record ahead of a player on our books that has a decent second tier scoring record?

Jambomullins

I assume that you mean Gordon Smith? Certainly not, Smith has a future in my opinion but Mcalister for me is worth a shot also. He is scoring goals for fun and that is a start when you consider that our back to Elliott and Kyle is Mole/Glen/Elliot/Obua and these guys have no scoring record to speak of. I would much rather our back up next season included players such as those mentioned already and pushing on lads like Ogleby. I take your point though, especially regarding Wyness who was a huge disappointment when you consider his scoring record at Caley before joining us.

Charlie-Brown

Dennis Wyness was quite poor everywhere except for his spells at Caley Thistle, some players just seem to find their niche at certain clubs.

I'd like to see us take a punt on Jonathan Smart from East Fife.I think with full time training he could be another Levein type defender.contributes with a few goals as well !

bigsuperslim1874

I would rather have someone like mcallister who has some kind of scoring record to call on (even if at 2nd division level) than Mole/Glen/Elliott/Obua who have no scoring record - at any level. All four of them need emptied but thats another discussion......

Don't have a great knowledge of the lower divisions but we've rarely been overly disappointed by guys who have came that route to the club. Even just in the last decade, Webster and Hartley are two stand outs.

The expectations are lower on these guys so they have little to lose and so probably less pressure on them. Dundee surely have a couple worth a punt - their form this year has been impressive.

It surprises me that other spl clubs are not taking a chance on kirk, and who ever else from 1st division; as I think there is not much between the bottom spl, and top of the 1st clubs.

Difficult to make the grade at hearts though, as there is more preassure for results, than there has been in the past.

Fans can be quite impatient at tyncastle, and some players can't handle the preassure, when fans vent their frustration.

One thing needed to make the grade at tyncastle these days, is a strong character with high confidence levels.

Elliot IMO is a player with ability, but suffers from lack of confidence.

Where as KK is a player imo with limitations, but is a strong character which is maybe more important. Perhaps age is a big factor.

Surely we should have players with potential ( or their agents, close advisors ) beating our door down ??

The OF cant be seen to be dealing in potential as they need match winners NOW to satisfy the expectations

of their fans ( "we deserve better" etc :rolleyes: )

We ought to have the cash / stadium / crowds to attract all and sundry below the OF radar :thumbsup:

Johanes de Silentio

I'd like to see us take a punt on Jonathan Smart from East Fife.I think with full time training he could be another Levein type defender.contributes with a few goals as well !

Levein would be a case in point - tremendous signing from the lower leagues. :thumbsup:

JamboAberdeen

While we have had Hartley/Webster before, we also had Dennis Wyness and now Stevo.

I think we haven't fully recovered from Wyness-syndrome.

Trying superstar is always gamble, and require sometime to get him settled at this level.

I still remember Hartley's first game which was totally gash, while Wyness looked ok, you know what happened after that.

But some people in the stand always forget that he is making big step up and demand immediate impact.

I would rather have someone like mcallister who has some kind of scoring record to call on (even if at 2nd division level) than Mole/Glen/Elliott/Obua who have no scoring record - at any level. All four of them need emptied but thats another discussion......

Erm... He smashed in something like 15 goals in half a season with Livingston in Division One. That's a full division above the one McAllister is currently playing in.

Rory McAllister also has a previously scoring record in the SPL: five goals in over 60 appearances while with Inverness for four years between 2005-2009.

I also seem to recall a pretty strong rumour that Jefferies was interested in signing McAllister last summer and went to watch him play in Brechin's playoff game against Cowdenbeath. I watched that game as well (it was on BBC Alba) and McAllister was ineffective, showed little strength and a poor first touch in a drab 0-0 draw. Any rumours of our interest unsurprisingly dropped after that.

That is just one match but don't get swept away in the romantic notion that we are missing out on the next Neil McCann. McAllister deserves another shot at the SPL but I'd be doubtful if he made it stick.

bigsuperslim1874

Erm... He smashed in something like 15 goals in half a season with Livingston in Division One. That's a full division above the one McAllister is currently playing in.

Rory McAllister also has a previously scoring record in the SPL: five goals in over 60 appearances while with Inverness for four years between 2005-2009.

Fair comment on elliott if thats true but they did say that 40-odd of mcallisters games for caley were as sub. My initial comment on mcallister wasnt just based on one game (although yesterdays game did make me think) but on the number of goals he has scored plus the number of pundits who have consistantly said he should be at a far higher level and its just a matter of time. He will get a move no doubt, i for one would like to give him a chance at the famous.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Fair comment on elliott if thats true but they did say that 40-odd of mcallisters games for caley were as sub. My initial comment on mcallister wasnt just based on one game (although yesterdays game did make me think) but on the number of goals he has scored plus the number of pundits who have consistantly said he should be at a far higher level and its just a matter of time. He will get a move no doubt, i for one would like to give him a chance at the famous.

Why don't we cast the net out and sign Kenny Deuchar while we're at it?

scott_jambo

Hearts have a long history of this.

Just looking at our current squad and you will see Ryan Stevenson, Andrew Webster, David Templeton, Gordon Smith and The lads Kevin McHattie and Jordan Morton. Not to mention Ian Black and Darren Barr being signed from lesser SPL sides. We also spread our transfer target area wider than that, picking up Jonsson, Prychynenko, Novikovas, Snapkauskas, Kapustas, Ogleby and Lyness from foreign clubs as youngsters. We also tried to get the lad Halliday from Livingston before he went to Middlesbrough.

Whilst some clubs are guilty of ignoring lesser leagues and markets, we are not one of them.

What is often ignored (a classic example being the McAllister thread) is that scoring goals at a lesser level is not a guarantee of success. Two players with Hearts connections (current Hearts player Gordon Smith and ex Hearts player Andy Kirk) are scoring well in the league immediately below us. Andy Kirk is, frankly, past it and should not get a chance back here but some would have him given this. Smith is on the way up and is doing well. He scored regularly at Livingston, signed for us and scored regularly for the under 19's before now scoring regularly at Stirling. However, these good records don't guarantee success, look at Dennis Wyness.

I assume this thread has been started because of your wish for us to sign former ICT striker McAllister, can I ask another question? Would you give McAllister a chance because of a decent third tier scoring record ahead of a player on our books that has a decent second tier scoring record?

Great Post.

Archived