Burley

Ryan Gosling

Is it too much to think he took the **** out of Berra tonight?

Funny, I thought exactly the same thing, but surely not?!

You are having a laugh eh?

Me?

I've not seen the game at all, no Sky at Boris towers, so I haven't a Danny what is being talked about here.

Me?

I've not seen the game at all, no Sky at Boris towers, so I haven't a Danny what is being talked about here.

Nah sorry Boris, I was meaning the OP, who I take it believes that Burley only picked Berra and then left him on the bench as some kind of revenge for the way he was treated at Hearts. :confused:

Me?

He think Burley took the **** out of Berra by not giving him an appearance.

ToadKiller Dog

No dont think he would have started over Caldwell and McManus ,and Anderson has an older head.I think Berra is better than Caldwell and just as good as McManus.

His chance will come.

Gigolo-Aunt

TBH, quite happy that Berra never got a game as I fear he would have got the run around. Maybe a better friendly will come along for his debut.

Training with the first team squad and a change of surroundings for the week may have done more good than harm.

Malinga the Swinga

Unless Berra had an illness, then I think GB has had the laugh on all of Hearts as his revenge. Why bring on Anderson, who wasn't good enough for Sunderland and now plays at Plymouth, McElvey and Alexander was taking the mick, as they will never amount to anything. Why do we need to see McManus for 90 minutes when he isn't now, and never will be anything other than mediocre. If he wasn't at Celtic, he wouldn't even get in a squad, never mind be captain. With centre halfs of him and Caldwell to play, and Weir to come back, will that be the slowest centre backs in world football.

Dirk Diggler

Who gives a ****?

At least he'll be fit for Hearts on Saturday.

These internationals do seem to bring on a lot of 'injuries'

:rolleyes:

Regular John

I don't think Berra is good enough for a subs appearance never mind the squad.

Anderson, Caldwell and McManus are all better players in my opinion.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Unless Berra had an illness, then I think GB has had the laugh on all of Hearts as his revenge. Why bring on Anderson, who wasn't good enough for Sunderland and now plays at Plymouth, McElvey and Alexander was taking the mick, as they will never amount to anything. Why do we need to see McManus for 90 minutes when he isn't now, and never will be anything other than mediocre. If he wasn't at Celtic, he wouldn't even get in a squad, never mind be captain. With centre halfs of him and Caldwell to play, and Weir to come back, will that be the slowest centre backs in world football.

The world doesn't revolve around Hearts you know.

I'd be worried about my own mental health before Burleys if I believed Burley done it out of spite...

Benny Factor
I don't think Berra is good enough for a subs appearance never mind the squad.

Anderson, Caldwell and McManus are all better players in my opinion.

You're serious??? :eek:

Berra is young enough, he'll get his chance.

Well done Burley, thought we competed well and looked a decent side...pity England couldn't manage a draw with them eh?!?!?

arf...arf!

Benny Factor
Berra is young enough, he'll get his chance.

Well done Burley, thought we competed well and looked a decent side...pity England couldn't manage a draw with them eh?!?!?

arf...arf!

Even better when you consider tonight was as competitive a game for Croatia as it was against England. :)

The cruckie cookie

Berra's chance will come, but to be behind, Anderson, and Alexander was a slap in the pus imo

OmiyaHearts

plenty of time for berra to make an appearance internationally, good for himto be in the squad and get a feel for the system we play etc.

i wouldnt have put him on tonite. we were solid at the back i thought. he would have definately made our back line worse if he came one. caldwell and mcmanus are a decent partnership. on another note, i thought hutton was outstanding as usual. he's a class act.

Malinga the Swinga

Say what you want, but I believe that we are in for an era of a Scottish team, primarily being picked on who you play/played for and not on ability. From the top man at the SFA down, the whole of Scottish football will now be directed and centred round the OF, and anyone who plays for them will be picked ahead of someone in another tea who has better ability. GB had the chance to set out his stall with this match, and show he would not be crossed. Instead, he backed down and when the OF scent fear, they will not let go.

Smiths interview earlier, and the way Rangers were allowed to have 'injured' players withdrawn, show how we are going to proceed.

christhejambo

Friendly or not, i dont think he should be in the team at the moment. He has ability, no doubt, but there are players in better form at the moment. He has been one of our better performers this season- but that doesnt really say much. I have no doubt his time will come with the changing of the old guard- ie Dailly, Weir etc in the longer term, but it will have sone him no harm to be involved with the team and around the national setup, despite not getting a cap.

To suggest some sort of ulterior motive from Burley is ridiculous IMO

I dont think he is good enough.

I watched numerous Hearts defenders coming through the ranks over the years.

The two that stick out are Craig Levein and Alan McLaren.

But Berra is no better than Big Roddy McDonald (He could head a ball 50 yards), Jimmy Sandison or Judas Webster. A good player, but at this stage not international class.

Benny Factor
Say what you want, but I believe that we are in for an era of a Scottish team, primarily being picked on who you play/played for and not on ability. From the top man at the SFA down, the whole of Scottish football will now be directed and centred round the OF, and anyone who plays for them will be picked ahead of someone in another tea who has better ability. GB had the chance to set out his stall with this match, and show he would not be crossed. Instead, he backed down and when the OF scent fear, they will not let go.

Smiths interview earlier, and the way Rangers were allowed to have 'injured' players withdrawn, show how we are going to proceed.

That has gone on for as long as i can remember. The only reason it has not been so noticeable over the last few years has been down to the lack of Scottish players at the Old Firm.

Craig Gordons Gloves
Friendly or not, i dont think he should be in the team at the moment. He has ability, no doubt, but there are players in better form at the moment. He has been one of our better performers this season- but that doesnt really say much. I have no doubt his time will come with the changing of the old guard- ie Dailly, Weir etc in the longer term, but it will have sone him no harm to be involved with the team and around the national setup, despite not getting a cap.

To suggest some sort of ulterior motive from Burley is ridiculous IMO

i couldnt agree more - we've seen lot of 'paranoid' threads on jkb over the months - but i have to say that this is quite possibly the most paranoid ever! I thought i was on the huddle board....:rolleyes:

Ryan Gosling

Who said an ulterior motive - I just thought it was taking the **** a bit calling up a young defender for a friendly then leaving him on the bench while putting Graham Alexander on in the 91st minute.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Who said an ulterior motive - I just thought it was taking the **** a bit calling up a young defender for a friendly then leaving him on the bench while putting Graham Alexander on in the 91st minute.

There is more to getting called up to the national team than just playing in the game.

It's all about the experience of being around the squad for a few days, put it this way .... it's good for us that he is around football people that have a clue what they are doing!

Good experience for a young player I would say.

Hopefully Pressley and Burley have passed on a bit of advice to him.

portobellojambo1

Far too much, take a chill pill, fart out the after effects and have a cup of coffee, otherwise you are heading for high blood pressure or something much more serious, like plooks.

Doctor FinnBarr

We should,ve played him just to keep him out the French team when he really comes good!:107years:

Burley went down in my estimation tonight.

All the call offs from the huns. And he didn't do damn thing.

He bowed down to the old firm tonight.

If he had a set of balls he would have called up all the dirty ****my huns to fill up the squad, "well they can't be injured as well?"

An apologist for the Rankers.

I hate that shower of bigotted ignorant bar-stewards.

Nope. I think Berra was being given encouragement by making the squad. He was picked for a squad not the team. He knew that, we knew that.

Berra for Scotland ?

You've got to be having a laugh. He is nowhere near good enough for international football. Being big and strong & winning headers may be OK in the SPL but he is far away from being able to play his way out of trouble.

He has got a long way to go in increasing his skill level and learning to be composed with the ball at his feet.

There is more to getting called up to the national team than just playing in the game.

It's all about the experience of being around the squad for a few days, put it this way .... it's good for us that he is around football people that have a clue what they are doing!

Good experience for a young player I would say.

Hopefully Pressley and Burley have passed on a bit of advice to him.

What, like get out now?

loveofthegame

Yes its far too much to think that. He gave Berra the chance and experience to play and train with much better players than he currently does- we should be grateful.

He played McManus and Caldwell instead. Ive abused Caldwell as much as the next guy but he put in one of the best tackles you'll ever see tonight.

At least Christophe got a taste of it tonight

The only thing that occurred to me is that it was reported that Berra was told he would get his first cap.

IF that is the case, then that is a little naughty.

Of course, Barry Anderson could not be wrong, his stories are always 100% bang on.

Guest GhostHunter
CAPITAL Scotland recruits Christophe Berra and Steven Fletcher will both make their international debuts this evening in the friendly with Croatia at Hampden Park.

Hibs top scorer Fletcher had already been told by new Scotland boss George Burley that he would earn his first cap but Berra will also feature for the full Scotland side for the first time. Berra's assured performances in the Hearts defence this season prompted recognition from national coach George Burley, who has been similarly impressed by Fletcher's 14 goals across the city.

Very VERY naughty Burley.

Was wondering if anyone else noticed Burley not knowing the words when the National Anthem was being murdered?

The glaiket look oan his coupon was mildly amusing. :confused:

Very VERY naughty Burley.

It doesn't say antyhing about Burley guaranteeing Berra a cap just the journo suggesting it, so what's naughty by Burley there?

Even leaving out the facts that getting called up is generally a good thing for a young player - are we suddenly taking journalists' word for it so as to get a dig in at Burley, who did nothing but positive things for us?

:confused:

i had thought that myself looking at the paper when it said he would feature

It's worded by that weasel Banderson to suggest that, but all it actually says is that Fletcher was "told by new Scotland boss George Burley" he'd play then tries to suggest that Burley told Berra the same. The fact the journo isn't able to actually say that suggests Burley told Berra no such thing.

dkmmgcycbwc

Where Berra is unlucky is that this is the second time when he has been virtually the only sub not used in a game which must be tough when you're waiting for your first cap. I thought he would get a late run on but maybe we'd used our permitted total. They brought in rules for friendlies after England started changing their whole team.

The Mighty Thor
I dont think he is good enough.

I watched numerous Hearts defenders coming through the ranks over the years.

The two that stick out are Craig Levein and Alan McLaren.

But Berra is no better than Big Roddy McDonald (He could head a ball 50 yards), Jimmy Sandison or Judas Webster. A good player, but at this stage not international class.

The most sense on this thread.

Berra is far from the finished article. further now than 2 years ago when Burley was here.

He's been poorly coached and has been left to play amongst second rate pish. His Development stopped the day Pressley walked out the door at Tynecastle.

Dr. Bapswent

JESUS, only Hearts fans.

The world is out to make a fool of us, realy it is!!

He didnt play Berra, so it must have been a deliberate ploy to make a fool of him?

Listen to yourselves?

Its laughable.

He didnt play, it doesnt mean anything more than that.

He got in the squad, can you not be happy about that?

No, instead we have to find an angle where we are hard done by.

Jeez!

Maybe its best for Berra if he's made to wait... hey he might even step up his game to meet the standard expected..... terrible man management.

Archived