Danny Paton

rabthejambo

rabthejambo

Just to let you all know that my Uncle Danny Paton, who played for the Jam Tarts between 1958 and 1964 passed away this afternoon after a short but very courageous fight against Motor Neurone Disease. For those of you that were blessed to watch the famous JT's during that era - when we were blessed with talent such as Bauld, Mackay, Wardhaugh, Cummings et al - my uncle Danny will probably be most remembered for being a member of the team that won the League Cup in 1962 and of course his fine hat trick against our neighbours in September of the same year.

He was a fine man and was loved by all that knew him. I will never forget hearing the stories of his time at Hearts when I was a young boy. These stories started my own adoration of the Gorgie boys and I know he took great pride in this. He went on to play in the NASL in the 70s and our photos of him playing against Pele are treasured by the whole family.

He will be remembered for a lot of things. Being a Hearts man was only one of them but I know he was very proud of what he achieved whilst adorning the maroon of the Hearts.

RIP Uncle Danny...

Very sad to hear this - Danny was a Hearts man through and through. I can recall the hat-trick against the wee team. An enthusiastic inside forward with an eye for a goal.

jambos are go!

Just to let you all know that my Uncle Danny Paton, who played for the Jam Tarts between 1958 and 1964 passed away this afternoon after a short but very courageous fight against Motor Neurone Disease. For those of you that were blessed to watch the famous JT's during that era - when we were blessed with talent such as Bauld, Mackay, Wardhaugh, Cummings et al - my uncle Danny will probably be most remembered for being a member of the team that won the League Cup in 1962 and of course his fine hat trick against our neighbours in September of the same year.

He was a fine man and was loved by all that knew him. I will never forget hearing the stories of his time at Hearts when I was a young boy. These stories started my own adoration of the Gorgie boys and I know he took great pride in this. He went on to play in the NASL in the 70s and our photos of him playing against Pele are treasured by the whole family.

He will be remembered for a lot of things. Being a Hearts man was only one of them but I know he was very proud of what he achieved whilst adorning the maroon of the Hearts.

RIP Uncle Danny...

Had a great season and I will always remember that hat trick. RIP

my uncle Danny will probably be most remembered for being a member of the team that won the League Cup in 1962 and of course his fine hat trick against our neighbours in September of the same year.

He went on to play in the NASL in the 70s and our photos of him playing against Pele are treasured by the whole family.

Most players could only dream of a career including highlights like these. R.I.P.

colinmaroon

So sorry to hear that!

My condolences to the family.

He was top scorer in the Clarkston Newfooty League (same as Subbuteo but better) in my Triple winning Hearts team in 1962!!!

Very sorry to hear this, Danny was one of my hero's in my early teens. Had a terrific shot on him.

Condolences to you and the family RIP Danny.

Sad news, but lots of good memories. Probably muddled now, but did he not have trouble under floodlights with his contact lenses? Think he scored the first of the 62-63 season against Celtic and pretty sure he got the opener in Willie Hamilton's debut match vs Dundee (2-0 League Cup). Hampden in the rain. Backheeled goal against the Hobos in 63 (3-3 game at Tynie which helped them avoid relegation). His 'trick' - feint right and cut back inside. Great days.

My condolences to the family. With achievements like that, the memories will live on in the heart and soul of Edinburgh.

Always sad to here of another ex player passing away,sounds as if he left a lot of amazing memories.RIP.

Remember him well, good player, good guy. We have enough up there now to turn out a full team and have subs on the bench, or even a strong reserve team if they have a reserve league. Its hard to believe so many of these guys around my own generation are gone, they sure made for a happy fitba' life in these halcyon days of record goals, cup wins, and all the glory and success that the great Heart of Midlothian deserve. R.I.P Danny thanks for the memories, and condolences to your family.

gowestjambo

I remember him well, he was a great servant to Hearts.

My regards to his family members.

Sorry to see yet another of my boyhood heros pass away.

J.T.F.Robertson

Remember him well, good player, good guy. We have enough up there now to turn out a full team and have subs on the bench, or even a strong reserve team if they have a reserve league. Its hard to believe so many of these guys around my own generation are gone, they sure made for a happy fitba' life in these halcyon days of record goals, cup wins, and all the glory and success that the great Heart of Midlothian deserve. R.I.P Danny thanks for the memories, and condolences to your family.

Well put, Bob. My condolences also.

Johanes de Silentio

Very sorry to hear this very sad news.

Condolences to the family.

Rest in peace, Danny.

Sad news, but lots of good memories. Probably muddled now, but did he not have trouble under floodlights with his contact lenses? Think he scored the first of the 62-63 season against Celtic and pretty sure he got the opener in Willie Hamilton's debut match vs Dundee (2-0 League Cup). Hampden in the rain. Backheeled goal against the Hobos in 63 (3-3 game at Tynie which helped them avoid relegation). His 'trick' - feint right and cut back inside. Great days.

Not so muddled Glaikit, I remember these games, especially the 3-3 game with Hibs, and October 27th 1962 , Hampden in the rain , unbelievably the last time Hearts won the League Cup, always wondered why in these days of reminiscing past players, Danny Paton was rarely , if ever mentioned.

I remember both of those games as if they werre last Saturday. Always a great guy and grafter.

Francis Albert

One of the Hearts team when I first started watching. Like others of that time he suffered from following in the footsteps of Conn, Bauld, Wardhaugh etc. In another era he would have been a bigger star, and a legend for his hat-trick against Hibs alone.

RIP.

To be honest never really heard of danny but i believe a double league and league cup winner! However in sporsters last sat i got chatting to a guy called tommy who managed to convince me with his total knowledge of the great hearts teams of late 50s early 60s despite being a tim, Anyway dimond geser shared a few jars and as it turns out he knew danny very well both comming from west calder, very sad not to know much about his illness comnpared with jimmy jhonson and the ensuing campaign, maybe swiftness of condition or family preferences, but i just hop HMFC give these legends in the real sense of the word the kind of service in their final hours of need as they gave to the great badge and jersey, these guys knew what it meant to play for the famous!!!! RIP thoughts with friends and family

I would also like to add my condolences, whilst too young to have seen Danny play.I knew all about his talent & goals from many others.

Rest in Peace Danny .

Hot since 86

Too young to have seen him but with a career that reads like that he must have been a cracking player.

R.I.P Danny

Yo Yo the Parrot

Sad news indeed.

Saw Danny play manys a time and a few years ago although clearly not keeping very well he was very helpful in assisting me with my book. True gentleman.

kirstyhearts

RIP, Danny. A true gent and a lovely man. He was friends with my husbands dad.

I once asked him which was the best goal he scored and his answer was 'you don't remember the goals you score, just the ones you miss' Sums the very humble Danny Paton up.

A player had to be good to get into that squad and the fact he played so often speaks of Tommy Walkers opinion of him. Sad that he suffered such a disease.

Coburg Hearts

Like others of that time he suffered from following in the footsteps of Conn, Bauld, Wardhaugh etc. In another era he would have been a bigger star, and a legend for his hat-trick against Hibs alone.

RIP.

I was going to write exactly the same. Had he played a few years later he would now be looked on as a legend at Tynecastle. A very good player indeed.

Very sad news. RIP

rabthejambo

Thanks for all the kind words. They mean a lot to our family. He will be missed by many. Thanks again...

Broxburn Jambo

RIP Uncle Danny...

Condolences to all his family

Stewart MacD

One of the Hearts team when I first started watching. Like others of that time he suffered from following in the footsteps of Conn, Bauld, Wardhaugh etc. In another era he would have been a bigger star, and a legend for his hat-trick against Hibs alone.

RIP.

My memories as well. A quiet achiever. The ranks are thinning of the guys playing when I started watching.

My memories as well. A quiet achiever. The ranks are thinning of the guys playing when I started watching.

Yep sad news indeed - always liked Danny Paton - a very under estimated performer for Hearts whose career with us undoubted shortened by the arrival of Willie Wallace.

ford donald

RIP Uncle Danny...

Sad to hear about danny.He was the first hearts player that i took too when i first watched hearts, in a reserve game.RIP Danny Paton.

R.I.P. Danny - you're in good Jambo company where you are now. The good memories of your time at Tynie won't be forgotten.

Archived