Hearts good name dragged through the mud

billco98

Listening to the phone-in on Radio 5 Live this morning on the bigotry, etc that surrounds the Old Firm, Hearts got a mention from a caller who reminded everyone that Hearts supporters booed during the minute's silence for The Pope at Hampden. Thanks to the knuckle draggers who 'grace' our support with their 'Loyal' allegiance our club's name has again been tarnished and dragged through the gutter.

It's time for zero tolerance at Tynecastle before our club is shamed again by these numpties.

Cairneyhill Jambo

It was pretty poor that some hearts fans booed, but there should never have been a minutes silence for the Pope in the first place.

Likewise, for the Queen when she finally carks it.

Listening to the phone-in on Radio 5 Live this morning on the bigotry, etc that surrounds the Old Firm, Hearts got a mention from a caller who reminded everyone that Hearts supporters booed during the minute's silence for The Pope at Hampden. Thanks to the knuckle draggers who 'grace' our support with their 'Loyal' allegiance our club's name has again been tarnished and dragged through the gutter.

It's time for zero tolerance at Tynecastle before our club is shamed again by these numpties.

Thanks to the ludicrous 'summit' there will be a lot more focus on us and other clubs as the filth try to make out that they aren't worse than the rest of us and that bigotry etc is a societal problem.

Unfortunately whilst I strongly oppose those who bring politics and/or religion into sport, the booing of the Pope was always going to be something of an own-goal for us, irrespective of the reasons/excuses given by those in our support who decided to boo.

Why assume that booing the pope has anything whatsoever to do with sectarianism? He has been a member of Hitler Youth as a 14 year old and been party to the disgraceful systematic covering up of child abuse within the priesthood. Maybe that has something to do with it?

rossthejambo

Why assume that booing the pope has anything whatsoever to do with sectarianism? He has been a member of Hitler Youth as a 14 year old and been party to the disgraceful systematic covering up of child abuse within the priesthood. Maybe that has something to do with it?

:lol:

Maiden Gorgie

It was pretty poor that some hearts fans booed, but there should never have been a minutes silence for the Pope in the first place.

Likewise, for the Queen when she finally carks it.

Agreed, but no excuse for the behaviour of some that day. It was an opportunity (if that is the right choice of word) to show people we are above that sort of s**t

The late John Paul II was Polish, and hardly a member of the Hitler Youth! :whistling:

Drylaw Hearts

Oh dear.

grumpy rebus

What!?!?! Pope J-P II was a member of HItler youth!?!?! I missed that.....

Actually agree with Jet Set Willy

:omg!:

Guest Dr. Pepper

The guy was an Irish professor or summit and told Scotland to grow up basically, fair enough.

He also said something along the lines of... "You have Hearts as well, the only club in the world to have booed a Popes minute silence", fair enough.

What a shame

colinmaroon

Oops!

Wrong Pope!

If that was the scale of the problem of bigotry in Scotland the world would be a much healthier place. Not perfect , but healthier.

As for the Pope - the fact that there was a minutes silence (or not) at Scottish football matches tells you all you need to know about Scottish socitey in general. As i said at the time , I don't recall there ever being a similar tribute to mark the passing of any Moderator of the CofS. But I could be wrong.

Clerry Jambo

It was pretty poor that some hearts fans booed, but there should never have been a minutes silence for the Pope in the first place.Likewise, for the Queen when she finally carks it.

This This and This and a trillion more This's

Thanks to the ludicrous 'summit' there will be a lot more focus on us and other clubs as the filth try to make out that they aren't worse than the rest of us and that bigotry etc is a societal problem.

Unfortunately whilst I strongly oppose those who bring politics and/or religion into sport, the booing of the Pope was always going to be something of an own-goal for us, irrespective of the reasons/excuses given by those in our support who decided to boo.

And there should be more FOCUS ON US ,lets not pretend we dont have our share of knuckledraggers who continually besmirch the good name of Heart of Midlothian.Keep the focus on them until they skulk back to thier caves.Vermin are a disgrace to the colours and those greats who honoured us by playing for our great club.

The guy was an Irish professor or summit and told Scotland to grow up basically, fair enough.

He also said something along the lines of... "You have Hearts as well, the only club in the world to have booed a Popes minute silence", fair enough.

What a shame

Is it wrong that this makes me feel proud to be a jambo? :whistling:

What a shame

i wonder how many sports organisations didn`t bother to have a minutes silence for the pope. i think i`d like to know the answer to that before i take professor plums` comments too seriously.

And there should be more FOCUS ON US ,lets not pretend we dont have our share of knuckledraggers who continually besmirch the good name of Heart of Midlothian.Keep the focus on them until they skulk back to thier caves.Vermin are a disgrace to the colours and those greats who honoured us by playing for our great club.

how do you know those greats weren`t all bigots and racists. those kinds of attitudes were much more commonplace and socially acceptable in the olden days you know.

error on an almost unheard of level. outstanding.

The fact that there was a minute silence for the death of an autocratic religious leader says more about Scottish society than the fact that people booed during it.

Why on earth was such a silence sanctioned in the first place? What relevance did it have to the Scottish Cup? Was it replicated at grounds across Scotland and the rest of the UK?

I sense that in your admirable desire to see Heart of Midlothian FC as an all embracing institution, which imo it already is, you are perhaps too quick to berate those that booed. They didn't shame Hearts, imo. They shamed themselves, and no doubt Celtic fans will and have latched onto this as some sort of evidence that our whole support is bigotted. But they should take a look at themselves.

So I guess what I'm saying is just because a Celtic minded person profers this as evidence against us i.e. Hearts, it isn't really.

Not saying that we should condone sectarianism in any shape or form, rather when put into perspective if most normal people take it as evidence of some underlying club mentality then they would be wrong.

alwaysthereinspirit

The late John Paul II was Polish, and hardly a member of the Hitler Youth! :whistling:

Any chance he was a double agent?:whistling:

Guest Dr. Pepper

Is it wrong that this makes me feel proud to be a jambo? :whistling:

I laughed when he said it to be honest.

Most listening to the show probably thought "I would have done the same" anyway so no big deal.

givememychoice

I wasnt there.

The pope was famous for one reason. His religious beliefs/position.

His religious beliefs are incompatible with protestantism, the basis for british society.

There should never have been a minutes silence held.

I am an atheist and am not sure if i would have booed.

If you are an atheist, i would understand you booing for religion being brought into football for no reason.

If you are a protestant, i would understand you booing somebody who is verging on claiming to be a false messiah.

I detested the man in life, he has caused many deaths (refusing to "allow" condoms), in death i will not become a bloody hypocrite. But at the same time, i may not have booed.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I laughed when he said it to be honest.

Most listening to the show probably thought "I would have done the same" anyway.

To be fair Hibs would have put it on their list of "achievements" alongside floodlights, scoreboards and all the rest.

The fact that there was a minute silence for the death of an autocratic religious leader says more about Scottish society than the fact that people booed during it.

Why on earth was such a silence sanctioned in the first place? What relevance did it have to the Scottish Cup? Was it replicated at grounds across Scotland and the rest of the UK?

I sense that in your admirable desire to see Heart of Midlothian FC as an all embracing institution, which imo it already is, you are perhaps too quick to berate those that booed. They didn't shame Hearts, imo. They shamed themselves, and no doubt Celtic fans will and have latched onto this as some sort of evidence that our whole support is bigotted. But they should take a look at themselves.

So I guess what I'm saying is just because a Celtic minded person profers this as evidence against us i.e. Hearts, it isn't really.

Not saying that we should condone sectarianism in any shape or form, rather when put into perspective if most normal people take it as evidence of some underlying club mentality then they would be wrong.

Spot on. :thumbsup:

jambojim1986

How many outraged Celtic fans are actually practicing Catholics? 10 people boo and that gives them a counter argument when their support is questioned. I couldn't care less if the pope got a minutes silence or a kick in the balls. I'm more bothered that we are compare to the tools in the west.

Isn't expecting the whole stadium to be quiet for a religious leader a little excessive anyway? Considering how many in Britain feel about the catholic church it would be almost rude not to boo.

i wasn't registered on here in 2005 so didn't see the carnage that the event must have caused.

must have been some fred(s).

rossthejambo

i wasn't registered on here in 2005 so didn't see the carnage that the event must have caused.

must have been some fred(s).

If my memory serves me well, it was "interesting". :unsure:

Patrick Bateman

:vrface:

I guess the parochial nature of Scottish society may prevent a lot of the knuckle-draggers amongst our support from understanding why booing the death of (whether you like it or not) a global figure. The fact it shouldn't have gone ahead is largely irrelevant. It did, and hundreds (if not thousands) of Hearts fans disgraced the club. Again, they can argue against it all they want, but the look on Hartley's face and Anderton's comments afterwards should have made people realise. I can't believe that SIX years on, people still can't accept that it was a downright stupid thing to do. Do you really think booing a silence shows some sort of tacit support for victims of child abuse? Or were you doing it just to wind up 'ra Sellic? Hmm. Tough one :rolleyes:

The only time the Pope should get a minutes silence at a football match is if he used to play for one of the teams.

Yes we have our idiots but it's a west coast problem and the Old Firm have been stoking the flames for years in order to cash in.

Commander Harris

spot on boris, with one correction. it wasn't booing! the silence was disrupted by singing.

If my memory serves me well, it was "interesting". :unsure:

10 bans, 35 suspensions, a death, a sex change and a discovery of a new species of antelope job?

tommythejambo

It was a stupid thing to do, and at the time I didn't partake.

I can see why some would be irritated at religion being brought in to football, he was a Pole, living in Italy, who was the head of a group of people who all believe in the same imaginary friend and is a minority religion (within the UK, anyway). However, most would've been Rangers wanna-be's.

:vrface:

I guess the parochial nature of Scottish society may prevent a lot of the knuckle-draggers amongst our support from understanding why booing the death of (whether you like it or not) a global figure. The fact it shouldn't have gone ahead is largely irrelevant. It did, and hundreds (if not thousands) of Hearts fans disgraced the club. Again, they can argue against it all they want, but the look on Hartley's face and Anderton's comments afterwards should have made people realise. I can't believe that SIX years on, people still can't accept that it was a downright stupid thing to do. Do you really think booing a silence shows some sort of tacit support for victims of child abuse? Or were you doing it just to wind up 'ra Sellic? Hmm. Tough one :rolleyes:

the fact it shouldn`t have gone ahead is certainly not irrelevant. in fact it`s the most relevant thing in the whole arguement. religion and politics should play no part in sport so having a minutes silence for a minority religious leader with controversial (borderline dangerous) political opinions is a poor piece of decision making at the very very least. asking a support made up from a variety of backgrounds and religions to show respect en masee was quite frankly ridiculous.

rossthejambo

Was not bothered at time am still not bothered it was a set up.

A set up plenty happily fell for....if it was a set up of course :ermm:

10 bans, 35 suspensions, a death, a sex change and a discovery of a new species of antelope job?

Worse, a Tables, Ladders and Chairs match was organised behind the Wheatfield after it got a bit out of hand.

Jambof3tornado

If you can't stand quietly for a minute then stay out at the pie stands. Its really not that hard.

Craig Herbertson

I was there.

I recall there was a very small section of the Hearts fans who made some sort of noise. Looked like about twenty or thirty maybe down the front. Think they just began to chant near the end of the minute. The vast majority completely respected the silence, even though prior to it, there was a very big sense that the situation was contrived. IRA songs were loudly sung almost immediately after the silence. Whether those in power intended it to be a set up or not, a few Hearts fans felt compelled to break it and a fairly large number of Celtic fans took that as a chance to restate their political beliefs.

One thing is certain. The more you have these silences the more chance there is that someone will break them. I never think there's much point in booing a silence or protesting about it except by writing to the papers or something equally dull. It's a bit like shouting at a funeral. You can't win anything and you're liable to look foolish and upset people.

While I don't agree with a minutes silence for any religious leader you can't defend those that disrupted it. They had there reasons for disrupting it but so do Celtic fans booing remembrance day silences. It's a respect thing.

We're so fast to say that other teams should respect silences, it's only a minute after all. Why shouldn't we have been pulled up for that.

Can't say I'm particularly bothered about it tbh, just seems a bit hypocritical to think it's ok for some of us to disrupt a minutes silence because some of us don't agree with it but not ok for fans of other teams to disrupt a minutes silence because they don't agree with it.

Christ, I type my thoughts out clumsily...

Whatever your opinion on set ups and relevance of the silence the Hearts fans as a collective lost the right to condemn any other club for disrupting silences going forwards that day.

The morons who boo-ed should have shut up out of respect for the Catholic fans in the Hearts support if nobody else.

People booed because they despise paedophile enablers & the disgraceful record of the Catholic church.

Why would you remain silent for such a person?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I seem to remember Celtic's support taking the moral high ground by chanting 'you dirty orange barstewards.'

People booed because they despise paedophile enablers & the disgraceful record of the Catholic church.

Why would you remain silent for such a person?

what are you basing that on. i know a couple of young guys who used to travel on the same bus as me who booed and gave the two fingered salute purely to "**** those ******** off"

Booing a minutes silence for the deceased pontiff was a stupid and backwards thing to do.

It would have been far better to break the silence in true 21st century style by talking very loudly into your mobile phone like people do on trains.

It would also mean that you'd have a good chance of having your photo in the papers visibly breaching the silence as opposed to just being an anonymous hearts fan.

Francis Albert

I seem to remember Celtic's support taking the moral high ground by chanting 'you dirty orange barstewards.'

Yes. The speed with which they recovered, as one, from their deep, respectful and sombre remembrance was ... well, truly miraculous.

They'd got what they wanted, and were suitably fired up at the beginning of the game. Still, I'm sure the booers felt good that they had struck such a blow for the Reformation.

Archived