Gary Locke

Eckauskas

Alan Johnson

Worth a punt in centre mid next week IMO :P

But yes, future manager too.

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Agree. :thumbsup:

Im interested to see what formation he would play and what general philosophy he would approach in games.

Gordon Ramsay

Yes! Never find a man more passionate about Hearts than Locke. I'd be all for it a few years down the line!

Johanes de Silentio

Agree. :thumbsup:

Im interested to see what...general philosophy he would approach in games.

It would pretty much be FTH! :thumbsup:

Always thought he was being groomed (in a non-paedo way) to carry on from JJ

:thumbsup:

Agree with this, would have thought it would be few more years yet (fingers crossed). But think its important to have manager who has connection with club. There is no one more so than Lock. Look forward to his touch line discussions with McCoist & Lennon!!

Charlie-Brown

Surely to be manager Gary Locke would have to go manage somewhere to establish his credentials and gain sufficient experience before becoming Hearts manager?

In terms of experience and managerial ability then former club employees like Peter Houston, John McGlynn, Steven Pressley and of course Robbo as well would all have a better CV and credentials as manager than if Locke simply remains as a Hearts coach or JJ's assistant - he needs to cut his teeth actually managing if he wants to improve his chances of being capable as a manager.

McGlynn has done a tremendous job with Raith Rovers whilst Barry Smith has also done tremendously well at Dundee given the turmoil and uncertainty that club has been through this season. In the SPL you have to give some credit to what Derek McInnes at St Johnstone and also what the Fat Finn Mixu has done with modest resources this season. Terry Butcher at ICT also deserves a mention.

He's got more chance being named the next US ambassador to China.

Elaborate.

Could it end up a similar situation as Smith/McCoist at Rangers?

Agreed.

Bert Le Clos

Possibly, but only after serving a (long) apprenticeship as a coach and assisstant.

Unfortunately for him I think JJ will be retired before Gary is ready to manage Hearts, meaning he'll probably need to prove himself somewhere else first. Which isn't a bad thing.

People mentioning Pressley for the Hearts job :facepalm:

It ain't gonna happen.

We've more chance of appointing Ray Charles than the snake.

It ain't gonna happen.

Horatio Caine

It ain't gonna happen.

There was a time when I'd have welcomed Ray as the Hearts coach...

rossthejambo

It ain't gonna happen.

I'd be very surprised if Pressley didn't get the gig at some point down the line.

Frankenstein Jambo.

I'd be very surprised if Pressley didn't get the gig at some point down the line.

not while vlads the owenr he wont. And that could be for a long time to come.

rossthejambo

Hopefully he will yes, but I don't think Vlad holds as big a grudge against Pressley as people would lead you to believe.

Skacel and Webster returning would suggest otherwise.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Skacel and Webster returning would suggest otherwise.

Vlad has to be able to trust his managers as he has said in the past. Players are different, the manager needs to trust them. Vlad would not hire pressley after the riccarton 4 inccident as this IMO shattered an trust the two men had.

rossthejambo

Vlad has to be able to trust his managers as he has said in the past. Players are different, the manager needs to trust them. Vlad would not hire pressley after the riccarton 4 inccident as this IMO shattered an trust the two men had.

:facepalm:

it's all very well talking about the possibilities of vlad taking another black sheep back into the fold but would anyone actually want snakeley as the manager? and i mean just in a purely football sense.

:keys:

Neither Skacel not Webster aimed gestures at Mr Romanov whilst playing for a different club, a rival club at that.

I hope never to see that snake back at Tynecastle in ANY capacity. He's burned his bridges here.

He's not even that good a manager.

rossthejambo

it's all very well talking about the possibilities of vlad taking another black sheep back into the fold but would anyone actually want snakeley as the manager? and i mean just in a purely football sense.

:lol:

I never said that I wanted it to happen, I just said I'd be surprised if it didn't happen. Was well known how much respect Vlad had for Pressley before all the aggro, I don't think much of that has changed despite what has happened.

It's not like Vlad's overly bothered by what we all think when it comes to appointing managers is it :rolleyes:

Fort Vallance

Surely to be manager Gary Locke would have to go manage somewhere to establish his credentials and gain sufficient experience before becoming Hearts manager?

In terms of experience and managerial ability then former club employees like Peter Houston, John McGlynn, Steven Pressley and of course Robbo as well would all have a better CV and credentials as manager than if Locke simply remains as a Hearts coach or JJ's assistant - he needs to cut his teeth actually managing if he wants to improve his chances of being capable as a manager.

McGlynn has done a tremendous job with Raith Rovers whilst Barry Smith has also done tremendously well at Dundee given the turmoil and uncertainty that club has been through this season. In the SPL you have to give some credit to what Derek McInnes at St Johnstone and also what the Fat Finn Mixu has done with modest resources this season. Terry Butcher at ICT also deserves a mention.

Rangers didn't feel the need to do that with McCoist. A decent apprenticeship at the club might be enough.

Frankenstein Jambo.

TBH i wouldn't listen to a word you say. You did not want webster and blasted him, the club and everyone else who supported him coming back. then you started a thread saying how everyone should support him and anyone who doesn't isn't a real fan. Infact you used the same name for him as well, snakey.

I suspect the same would happen if the club did sensationaly hired Elvis as manager. You are a two ficed git.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Rangers didn't feel the need to do that with McCoist. A decent apprenticeship at the club might be enough.

Thats Rangers, they canni afford to get another manager in. I suspect McCoist wont be on a great wage and they wont have to shell out a fee to get him.

I reckon this is a possibility as promoting someone already with the club is a damn sight cheaper than going for someone already employed.

I know we all slag Celtic for appointing 'Celtic minded' managers, but someone with an affinity for our club would be preferrable to someone from the outside. Anyone with as much of a love for the club as Lockey would be a decent choice as making an arse of it just isn't an option.

That, or a dream team of him and Robbo.

:lol:

I never said that I wanted it to happen, I just said I'd be surprised if it didn't happen. Was well known how much respect Vlad had for Pressley before all the aggro, I don't think much of that has changed despite what has happened.

It's not like Vlad's overly bothered by what we all think when it comes to appointing managers is it :rolleyes:

i'm not suggesting you wanted him back. i'm just saying that it should really be a non-starter just on managerial ability alone.

TBH i wouldn't listen to a word you say. You did not want webster and blasted him, the club and everyone else who supported him coming back. then you started a thread saying how everyone should support him and anyone who doesn't isn't a real fan. Infact you used the same name for him as well, snakey.

I suspect the same would happen if the club did sensationaly hired Elvis as manager. You are a two ficed git.

:rofl:

Neither Skacel not Webster aimed gestures at Mr Romanov whilst playing for a different club, a rival club at that.

I hope never to see that snake back at Tynecastle in ANY capacity. He's burned his bridges here.

He's not even that good a manager.

I thought the gestures were aimed at the fans and that's why everyone was so annoyed?

:whistling:

:laugh:

I reckon this is a possibility as promoting someone already with the club is a damn sight cheaper than going for someone already employed.

I know we all slag Celtic for appointing 'Celtic minded' managers, but someone with an affinity for our club would be preferrable to someone from the outside. Anyone with as much of a love for the club as Lockey would be a decent choice as making an arse of it just isn't an option.

That, or a dream team of him and Robbo.

Going for managers on the basis of them being Hearts men isn't always the way to go. Just look at how Hibs last few appointments have worked out by appointing managers purely on the basis of their allegiance.

And Robbo didn't work out very well for us either unfortunately.

Allegiances should always come secondary to quality.

Francis Albert

The time to judge is when he has had some managerial experience at some level of the game.

Future Hearts manager.

Discuss.

maybe in 15 years time when he's got sufficient experience otherwise he'd be a lamb to the slaughter and wouldn't last very long.

Horatio Caine

I thought the gestures were aimed at the fans and that's why everyone was so annoyed?

:laugh:

Going for managers on the basis of them being Hearts men isn't always the way to go. Just look at how Hibs last few appointments have worked out by appointing managers purely on the basis of their allegiance.

And Robbo didn't work out very well for us either unfortunately.

Allegiances should always come secondary to quality.

Robbo was relatively inexperienced then and the time just wasn't right.

However, he seems to be doing a decent job at EF and he has, I think, gained a lot more savvy. So wouldn't be a bad bet for us, with the right management team in place alongside him.

Well, that's where I was always told it was aimed :whistling:

thirdyboy1976

Future Hearts manager.

Discuss.

I think that he will be one day. I would like to see Locke given the same opportunity as Ally McCoist did at Rangers....taking over the team for cup games, friendlies etc. That gave McCoist a good grounding in running the first team on match days & I believe that learning from JJ & BB would do him no harm. No matter what some on kickback think JJ is still a good manager.

jamboinglasgow

If Locke takes over I reckon we will see JJ in a director of Football role for Locke's first few seasons.

Loads on here didn't want him as coach..................the "what are his credentials" brigade.

Big difference McCoist was a top player, very good with the press and seems to talk a lot of sense about the game. Clearly this will translate in coaching ability to.

Gary Locke does not tick any of the above, yep he is a Hearts man but so is everyone on this site, does not give him the right to manage the club, there is more to coaching/managing than boosting morale and hating hibs.

Francis Albert

Loads on here didn't want him as coach..................the "what are his credentials" brigade.

A "brigade" ... very grand. There were a few of us. Still a legitimate question. He is certainly good at geeing up players for the derby, he is certainly popular with the players (or was at Killie), and he is clearly best mates with Jim and Billy. Oh, and of course an out and Hearts fan. But as first team coach how much has he contributed to improving the skills and performances of the first team? Is our passing and movement generally and our organisation at set pieces (throw ins to take a simple example) getting better? Is Temps getting better with experience. Is Craig T? Has he tactical nous, does he have an eye for a player? Jury still out, though overall of course the management team has done well.

My original doubts were related to slight unease about the modern habit of managers moving around with a familiar entourage of back room staff. It obviously has its pluses but maybe a downside of over-familiarilty and lack of new ideas.

Time will tell.

Very premature to be tipping him as a manager. We'll also see how Ally works out - I have my doubts there too.

Jambo or not, I do not want him as Hearts manager in his own right until he has shown his credentials.

Being a Hearts fan does not automatically make you a good Hearts manager.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Jambo or not, I do not want him as Hearts manager in his own right until he has shown his credentials.

Being a Hearts fan does not automatically make you a good Hearts manager.

He has shown credentials though. He will be getting a fantastic apprentiship learning from JJ and BB and all his experience from his playing days will put him in a great position of being a good manager. He also has the respect of every hearts fan and the players.

All this "he has to show he is good enough for Hearts" is a load of nonsense.

Toxteth O'Grady

He's got more chance being named the next US ambassador to China.

Gally Rocke

He has shown credentials though. He will be getting a fantastic apprentiship learning from JJ and BB and all his experience from his playing days will put him in a great position of being a good manager. He also has the respect of every hearts fan and the players.

All this "he has to show he is good enough for Hearts" is a load of nonsense.

clearly he hasn't.

the credentials people are talking about involves the abilities to manage a club as his own man, making all the decisions. it's obvious that people are (quite rightly) insisting that hearts require a manager who can demonstrate the competences of a club manager. GL will not get that during his so-called apprenticeship and will need to go elsewhere first.

therefore the "he has to show he is good enough for hearts" is perfectly valid and correct.

yours sincerely,

the two-ficed git.

:teehee:

Gigolo-Aunt

If he is the best man for the job when it comes up, more than happy for him to get the gig - like having him back at the club.

If he is given the job due to being a die hard jambo who loves the club and knows the place, that could be a problem.

All the best to him though.

clearly he hasn't.

the credentials people are talking about involves the abilities to manage a club as his own man, making all the decisions. it's obvious that people are (quite rightly) insisting that hearts require a manager who can demonstrate the competences of a club manager. GL will not get that during his so-called apprenticeship and will need to go elsewhere first.

therefore the "he has to show he is good enough for hearts" is perfectly valid and correct.

yours sincerely,

the two-ficed git.

:teehee:

Were you happy with Alex MacDonald's appointment?

Archived