Can Killie make up 13 points ?

vegas-voss

Yesterday has probably given them a bit of belief again not sure who they still have to play before the split and I'm probably being a bit dramatic but that's 5 points they have closed in two weeks.Is it just going to be a case of us just grinding out enough games to get the spot secured.

Problem Officer?

No, and that's the annoying thing about yesterday, they're still not going to catch us.

shaun.lawson

Yesterday has probably given them a bit of belief again not sure who they still have to play before the split and I'm probably being a bit dramatic but that's 5 points they have closed in two weeks.Is it just going to be a case of us just grinding out enough games to get the spot secured.

I had a look at the games left earlier. Killie still have both of the OF to play before the split: their best case scenario is about nine points from 15. Our worst case scenario is probably about 5 points from our last 5 games. That still leaves us 9 clear of them when the split comes - and sorry, they ain't making up nine points after the split.

Dundee United, with their games in hand, have a best case scenario of about 50 points come the split. They're not catching us either. We look like falling over the line, but pretty comfortable in 3rd. It'd take the worst collapse in our entire history for that not to happen.

winston churchill

sheep 5 killie 0 says it all really.

we should have enough in the tank to limp across the finishing line.

with the hibs winning four on the bouncing and a draw yesterday.the game at the lochend theater of dreams should be interesting.

The White Cockade

No I think third is safe

Once the split arrives I can't see them winning more than a couple of games

but we better sort ourselves out soon as we have been poor since the New Year and its a bit worrying

that JJ is yet to acknowledge this

ToadKiller Dog

Not without us blowing it , if yesterdays performance 2nd half is repeated at Tannadice we would be 3 or 4 down , Teams will have there tails up against until the split now . The players need a good shake the season aint over yet . That said we should have anough points but leads of that size have been blown before .

Charlie-Brown

They would need to win 5 games AND us lose 5 games PLUS at least match or better our results in the other 5 games. With only 10 games remaining they have 4 Old Firm matches still to play (assuming they finish top 6) whereas Hearts will have only 2 games against the Uglies. I think you would get a very good price for Killie to finish 3rd in those circumstances.

I didn't realise they had the Old Firm twice before the split so aye pretty much no chance if them getting third.

rudi must stay

the way we're playing yes, they seem to struggle in games they should win though.

Snake Plissken

There's not a hope in hell Kilmarnock will catch or even get within 9 points of us.

One bad result doesn't define a season for us any more than a good one defines theirs.

Not a hope in hell of Kilmarnock finishing above us, none. We're no playing that well, probably because half the first choice team are out and yet we've still got a far bigger gap now than we had at the start of the year. If Killie take any more than 18 points from their remaining 10 games I'll be amazed, 9 of them are against top 6 sides with 4 of them the OF.

Doubtful, but it would be nice to think we can start winning and fly till the end of the season, not get horsed and luck out on previous results.

Guest juvehearts

There's not a hope in hell Kilmarnock will catch or even get within 9 points of us.

One bad result doesn't define a season for us any more than a good one defines theirs.

what do you mean 1 bad result by hearts

we have been honking since the turn of the year, injury's or no injury's these guys on the books are paid professional footballers & should be performing a lot better.

its a job at the end of the day & a bloody well paid one at that, fans would give their right arm to pull on the maroon jersey of hearts & probably perform 100% better than the shower we watched yesterday

as to the OP question, its still mathematically possible for them to catch us just as it is for hearts to win the league

will it happen?

its got as much chance as hibernian's scottish cup dream

Thunderstruck

Their next game is against Rangers for which they will be without Ernie Menko or whatever his name is. That has made their task a wee bit harder.

we have been honking since the turn of the year, injury's or no injury's these guys on the books are paid professional footballers & should be performing a lot better.

its a job at the end of the day & a bloody well paid one at that, fans would give their right arm to pull on the maroon jersey of hearts & probably perform 100% better than the shower we watched yesterday

as to the OP question, its still mathematically possible for them to catch us just as it is for hearts to win the league

will it happen?

Too right and I am utterly f**** off at people repeating the same old mantra "we're clear in third .............whats your problem"

We're only as good as our last game and we havent looked comfortable since ICT at Tynie IMO

Too right and I am utterly f**** off at people repeating the same old mantra "we're clear in third .............whats your problem"

We're only as good as our last game and we havent looked comfortable since ICT at Tynie IMO

The draw? In the middle of December? Since which we've lost only 3 times? Beating Hibs, Rangers, Dundee United and Killie in the process?

Guest John Meurig Thomas

The draw? In the middle of December? Since which we've lost only 3 times? Beating Hibs, Rangers, Dundee United and Killie in the process?

Gotta agree with Ben slightly. We've not really played well since the ICT game, they were lucky to be leaving Tynie with a draw.

Patchy at best tbh.

Gotta agree with Ben slightly. We've not really played well since the ICT game, they were lucky to be leaving Tynie with a draw.

Patchy at best tbh.

Aye, we were shite when Hamilton battered us and we scraped out with a two nil win. Defensively we were all over the place when Rangers left with nothing.

We've been poor in the last three weeks, but 2.5 months? No.

Snake Plissken

will it happen?

1) Injuries not injury's, yes I know this isn't an English essay but misplaced apostrophes are a pet peeve

2) We've been honking yet we've won six, lost four (two against the old Firm) and drawn one. There has indeed only been two truly bad results in that run: yesterday and the Cup.

3) It seems as if some were just waiting for this to pounce on the usual suspects and peddle the usual shite.

Guest John Meurig Thomas

Aye, we were shite when Hamilton battered us and we scraped out with a two nil win. Defensively we were all over the place when Rangers left with nothing.

We've been poor in the last three weeks, but 2.5 months? No.

Yep - 2 and a half months. Hamilton are gash but even in the second half we looked a bit ropey and Rangers could have won about 4-0 at Tynecastle.

We've played well in patches in most of the games. In some of them, we might have played well in enough in certain periods to grab a goal or two but we've honestly not looked comfortable since ICT.

Can Hearts blow this if they don't get their fingers out their lazy erses and losing stupid games like yesterday should be the question. Twice they've came through here and won without us even scoring a goal, this is the team that Aberdeen spanked 5-0 the week before!! I can't see us getting many points after the split so they need a boot up the jacksie now so we don't get embarrassed in anymore games before the split, lazy gits!

Only a Game

If we blow third from here, there will be a manager retiring at the end of the season. That is all.

Guest John Meurig Thomas

If we blow third from here, there will be a manager retiring at the end of the season. That is all.

We're not blowing third ffs. Simmer down.

We're going through a tricky patch and JJ will see us through it relatively unscathed.

Only a Game

We're not blowing third ffs. Simmer down.

We're going through a tricky patch and JJ will see us through it relatively unscathed.

I didnt actually say we would blow third from here. I merely outlined the consequences if we did.

Snake Plissken

:vrface:

Neither of those will happen.

Cheers.

Snake Plissken

I didnt actually say we would blow third from here. I merely outlined the consequences if we did.

And if we win every game 7-0 next season we'll win every trophy we enter.

I'm not saying we will, I'm merely outlining the consequences if we did.

:tlj:

Jam Tarts 1874

I really don't see where our wins are going to come from, so every chance that it could get tight.

davemclaren

I really don't see where our wins are going to come from, so every chance that it could get tight.

From the same place as our previous 17 wins this season one would imagine. :cool_shades:

Only a Game

:vrface:

Neither of those will happen.

Cheers.

2nd time for the hard of thinking. I didnt say that they would happen.

Guest John Meurig Thomas

2nd time for the hard of thinking. I didnt say that they would happen.

Well, for the super-intelligent amongst us, I don't think Teenwolf was implying you did say they would happen. I reckon he's just lightly mocking you for your utterly ridiculous comments.

Just a guess mate.

Remaining fixtures before the split

Celtic Pld 28, Pts 67: Kilmarnock(A); Hibernian(H); Inverness CT(A); St Mirren(H); St Johnstone(A)

Rangers Pld 26, Pts 62: St Johnstone(A); St Mirren(H); Dundee Utd(A); Aberdeen(A); Dundee Utd(H); Hamilton(A); Kilmarnock(H)

Hearts Pld 28, Pts 55: Dundee Utd(A); St Mirren(H); Hibernian(A); Motherwell(H); Inverness CT(A)

Kilmarnock Pld 28, Pts 42: Celtic(H); Motherwell(H); St Johnstone(A); Inverness CT(H); Rangers(A)

Motherwell Pld 29, Pts 37: Kilmarnock(A); Aberdeen(H); Hearts(A); Dundee Utd(H)

Inverness CT Pld 29, Pts 36: Dundee Utd(A); Celtic(H); Kilmarnock(A); Hearts(H)

Dundee Utd Pld 25, Pts 34: Rangers(H); Aberdeen(H); Hamilton(H); Hearts(H); Inverness CT(H); Rangers(A); St Johnstone(H); Motherwell(A)

St Johnstone Pld 28, Pts 32: Rangers(H); Hamilton(A); Kilmarnock(H); Dundee Utd(A); Celtic(H)

Hibernian Pld 29, Pts 32: Celtic(A); Hearts(H); Aberdeen(A); Hamilton(H)

Aberdeen Pld 28, Pts 31: Dundee Utd(A); Rangers(H); Motherwell(A); Hibernian(H); St Mirren(A)

St Mirren Pld 28, Pts 22: Rangers(A); Hearts(A); Hamilton(H); Celtic(A); Aberdeen(H)

Hamilton Pld 28, Pts 15: Dundee Utd(A); St Johnstone(H); St Mirren(A); Rangers(H); Hibernian(A)

They've got face the old firm 4 times in their last 10 games.

They probably deserved the win on yesterday's performance on the day but it's not as if they're a great side.

No. Next question.

heartsfc_fan

Thankfully only Kilmarnock can "worry us" as Motherwell and Inverness have played a game more and are too far behind IMO. Dundee Utd have a fair bit to make up aswell, and I can't see them coming any higher than 5th.

If we're 10+ points ahead going into the split, they will realistically need to beat both the Old Firm and us to have any hope.

We'll be fine.

JamboAberdeen

Think us catching Rangers will be more plausible, or Hibs finishing top 6.

But hey which gap will be bigger, us to rantic or Killie to us?

That is another question.

Yep - 2 and a half months. Hamilton are gash but even in the second half we looked a bit ropey and Rangers could have won about 4-0 at Tynecastle.

We've played well in patches in most of the games. In some of them, we might have played well in enough in certain periods to grab a goal or two but we've honestly not looked comfortable since ICT.

This sort of comment really gets on my nerves. Rangers were on top throughout the first half and could have scored more than once. However, most of their shots were from distance and they failed. In the second half, the game was much more balanced. We created one good chance and scored. We won - remember?

If Hibs had scored 2 goals on their last visit to Tynecastle, they could have won. If Aberdeen had scored 6, they could have won. If we had scored 3 on Saturday (and we certainly created the chances in the first half to do so), we could have won.

The point is that while Rangers "could" have won, they didn't.

Clerry Jambo

An amazing turnaround from only a few weeks back where the debate was can we split the uglies.

Lets get Wallace, Kyle, Webby and Driver back in, hopefully Temps and Skatch hitting better form and we'll be increasing the gap to Killie :thumbsup:

Sorry, but that 1-0 win against Rangers was total robbery. :lol: Anyone who thinks we weren't lucky as **** to walk away with 3 points is mad.

Match stats-

2q19q8w.jpg

Snake Plissken

Sorry, but that 1-0 win against Rangers was total robbery. :lol: Anyone who thinks we weren't lucky as **** to walk away with 3 points is mad.

0,,10289~3924303,00.jpg

Hi, I'm Marian Kello, it's my job to keep the ball out of the net and I'm quite good at it.

We won that game because I did my job, football games are won by goals scored, not chances created.

Kfanxbai x

There's only so many saves you can rightfully expect your keeper to make. Kello was outstanding in that game, but he was let down by the rest of the team for giving them so many good efforts on our goal.

He was immense that game, but you're honestly telling me that we weren't lucky to walk away with a clean sheet when our defense was getting cut up for fun?

shaun.lawson

There's only so many saves you can rightfully expect your keeper to make. Kello was outstanding in that game, but he was let down by the rest of the team for giving them so many good efforts on our goal.

He was immense that game, but you're honestly telling me that we weren't lucky to walk away with a clean sheet when our defense was getting cut up for fun?

At half time that day, I had a strong feeling we'd win: Kello looked unbeatable, and you got the feeling it was one of those days for Rangers. However, if we achieved similar domination in any game, the opposing keeper was magnificent, and we lost 1-0 to the only chance we conceded all match, I take it everyone would acknowledge we'd deserved to lose? As opposed to describing the opponents as unbelievably lucky?

rossthejambo

Match stats-

2q19q8w.jpg

We were lucky that day, no doubt about it, BUT, we got the result. It's fine to start pulling out all this crap about our performances being crap for weeks (not denying that to be the case) but we've still been good enough to win every game apart from Rangers and Celtic away and the game on Saturday.

The last 2 or 3 games without between 3 and 6 influential players at a time. I'd say that was pretty good going for a team with undoubtedly poor squad depth.

This isn't a go at you btw LP, just used your post as a starting point for my rant :thumbsup:

Oh, and response to the original question, no, Kilmarnock or Dundee Utd will not catch us in 3rd place.

Radioactive Mince

I didn't realise they had the Old Firm twice before the split so aye pretty much no chance if them getting third.

Nor did I and I agree.

Yesterday I was worried that we might lose our next two games while Killie picked up points in theirs. I was thinking that a 7pt gap or less going into the split would be squeaky arse time. I really can't see that now.

There's one stat that counts form the Huns game at Tynie.

Guys that are using that angle for a rant - is it your first season watching Scottish football?

Snake Plissken

You could apply that to many aspects of the pitch.

There's only such a percentage of tackles a defender can be expected to win/a percentage of chances a striker can score. Players contribute to the results, when they are outstanding they have a big impact.

Yes I'm honestly telling you luck had little to do with it, Kello had a huge amount to do with it.

You could apply that to many aspects of the pitch.

There's only such a percentage of tackles a defender can be expected to win/a percentage of chances a striker can score. Players contribute to the results, when they are outstanding they have a big impact.

Yes I'm honestly telling you luck had little to do with it, Kello had a huge amount to do with it.

How does what you've said disprove what I have?

You're right, defenders can only be expected to win a certain amount of tackes. So the fact that they had 11 shots on target would suggest that our defenders were bad and didn't live up to that usual percentage that is expected of them, or Rangers had so many chances that our defense simply couldn't cope. Either way, we were lucky to get away with a clean sheet.

Nobody is saying that Kello wasn't outstanding, but most of us can accept that Rangers outplayed us in that game and for them not to score from one of their many good chances was a slice of good fortune on our part.

During a football season all teams have good and bad spells (except maybe barcalona). Neither hearts nor killie will be all good or all bad in the run in. Yes they could catch us but they won't.

Archived